Tenure  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should get the Tenure

• Sheldon
    • Leonard
    • Raj
    • Kripke
    • None of the above

I really couldn't care less about Leonard's personal achievement. The story for Leonard has always been about Penny.

Whether Beverly is a physical scientist or not has no effect on her ability to judge whether work is derivative or not. All science works the same way, be it physical, natural or medical. Having said that, the assertion that Leonard does only derivative work is nonsense: he is a research scientist, by definition he does original work. Theoreticians derive their theories from empirical data and refine them and experimentalists derive their experiments from theories and provide more evidence to refine the theories. So either all work is derivative or it's all original. Beverly's comment about reading the papers instead of seeing Leonard's work were just suggesting that other people published that stuff already before Leonard did, it doesn't make it derivative. All it takes is to be a couple of months behind someone who's working on your same topic concurrently and they can get published first and steal your thunder. 

To be on track to get tenure would the candidates not have to be showing some competence at teaching? There has been mention of Sheldon teaching a class (and sucking at it). It has never come up at all with the others.

Edited by djsurrey

I think you have to be willing to teach to get tenure so I see Leonard getting it. Kripke is not recurring enough to get it.

Yes I think so too. I just noticed your post. Actually I think one would have to have some experience teaching. If Leonard has any it has never been mentioned. We have never heard anything about any of these guys preparing classes, exams or marking. I guess we have heard a little about Sheldon sucking at teaching. Considering the length of time they have been working at the university I would expect them to have a lot more interaction with students than has ever been shown.

Edited by djsurrey

Yeah, there was that episode where Leonard was teaching and spilled Snapple on his laser. He called Sheldon out and said he wouldn't take him to the comic book store. I think Leonard has shown to be a more competent teacher and should get tenure.

Yeah, there was that episode where Leonard was teaching and spilled Snapple on his laser. He called Sheldon out and said he wouldn't take him to the comic book store. I think Leonard has shown to be a more competent teacher and should get tenure.

I remember this and yes it would make Leonard the best option but since it's about 'Everyone Loves Sheldon' Show that is the very reason Leonard won't get it. As I stated before it will be Sheldon or Barry K. that gets it.

I remember this and yes it would make Leonard the best option but since it's about 'Everyone Loves Sheldon' Show that is the very reason Leonard won't get it. As I stated before it will be Sheldon or Barry K. that gets it.

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with you on that. Sure, everyone loves Sheldon but I think Leonard is the main protagonist of the show so I see him getting it. If someone who is on the show 3-4 days a season like Kripke got it, I think fans would be in an uproar.

Too much time has passed. If tenure comes up again I don't think it will be directly related to s6e20.

Steve Molaro, Bill Prady and Eric Kaplan at Comic-Con said they would like to deal with the tenure issue but they really don't seem to know how to do it. Because of what has happened in season 7 with the North Sea expedition and Sheldon's embarrassing heavy element fiasco, Leonard is the obvious choice but giving Leonard the substantial boost in his income will cause problems with the setup and his relationships with Sheldon and Penny. They seem to be frozen by the potential problems of what happens when they pull that trigger.

There would be no reason for Leonard to suffer in apartment 4A. He could afford a very nice place on his own. How would Penny explain not living with the man she professes to love, who can now afford her the chance to escape being a waitress and concentrate full-time on being an actress or student?

They may just hope the casual fans don't understand the tenure issue and will forget about it.

Edited by BangerMain

Steve Molaro, Bill Prady and Eric Kaplan at Comic-Con said they would like to deal with the tenure issue but they really don't seem to know how to do it. Because of what has happened in season 7 with the North Sea expedition and Sheldon's embarrassing heavy element fiasco, Leonard is the obvious choice but giving Leonard the substantial boost in his income will cause problems with the setup and his relationships with Sheldon and Penny. They seem to be frozen by the potential problems of what happens when they pull that trigger.

There would be no reason for Leonard to suffer in apartment 4A. He could afford a very nice place on his own. How would Penny explain not living with the man she professes to loves, who can now afford her the chance to escape being a waitress and concentrate full-time on being an actress or student?

They may just hope the casual fans don't understand the tenure issue and will forget about it.

Good point. I wonder if they will wait to revisit tenure until the final season, which I hope doesn't come for a long time. However, even with tenure I don't think their pay is affected that much. They are just guaranteed a job. I don't see how anyone could forget the tenure issue and want to know who gets it. There was a whole episode dedicated to it near the end of season 6 so I'm sure it's still n most viewers' minds. I suppose if Kripke got it, it wouldn't affect the dynamic among the main characters. Another possibility is Raj who was in People magazine and this would guarantee him a lifetime job and no possibility of being deported back to Indai.

Good point. I wonder if they will wait to revisit tenure until the final season, which I hope doesn't come for a long time. However, even with tenure I don't think their pay is affected that much.

They made a big deal about the increased income:

- Raj: It would be nice to have the increased income. Stop taking money from my parents. (to H/B)

- Amy: Or you take advantage of your newfound economic stability and move out, buy a house, get married. start a family. (to Sheldon)

- Raj: And I will return to New Delhi in triumph atop a bejeweled white elephant. And you know what will be on that elephant’s back? A seat warmer. (to H/B)

In real life, as I have read, the tenure would come with a six figure income assuming the recipient would also teach.

But also in real life your statement is very correct, since the guys (especially Leonard) would be making substantially higher salaries than are portrayed on the show. TBBT economics are adjusted to fit the setup not to fit real life

Edited by BangerMain

They made a big deal about the increased income:

- Raj: It would be nice to have the increased income. Stop taking money from my parents. (to H/B)

- Amy: Or you take advantage of your newfound economic stability and move out, buy a house, get married. start a family. (to Sheldon)

- Raj: And I will return to New Delhi in triumph atop a bejeweled white elephant. And you know what will be on that elephant’s back? A seat warmer. (to H/B)

In real life, as I have read, the tenure would come with a six figure income assuming the recipient would also teach.

But also in real life your statement is very correct, since the guys (especially Leonard) would be making substantially higher salaries than are portrayed on the show. TBBT economics are adjusted to fit the setup not to fit real life

Wow, you sure know your stuff. Being that it's such a big deal financially maybe they'll save it for when they get notice of a final season and Leonard will get it and ask Penny to marry him. On the other hand, will they want to fill the tenure situation quickly?

On a side note, Sheldon made me laugh so hard in that episode. To Raj: "I believe "screw it I'm going in" is the last thing I said to your mother last night".

Wow, you sure know your stuff. Being that it's such a big deal financially maybe they'll save it for when they get notice of a final season and Leonard will get it and ask Penny to marry him. On the other hand, will they want to fill the tenure situation quickly?

On a side note, Sheldon made me laugh so hard in that episode. To Raj: "I believe "screw it I'm going in" is the last thing I said to your mother last night".

According to the American Association of University Professors, 2008-2009 salaries for college professors (excluding medical school, law school, etc.) show the private research universities at the top.

1. Harvard 192,600

2. Stanford 181,900

3. Princeton 180,300

4. Chicago 179,500

5. Columbia 175,200

6. Yale 174,400

7. Caltech 172,500

8. NYU 170,700

9. Penn 169,400

And those numbers are from 5 years ago

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1