The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaqo

The Nerd Version Of 'friends'!

I really enjoy the clever writing,that makes the show. Maybe they set out to make, the nerd version of 'Friends',but because the characters speak, and look like real people,the whole thing is believable.They seem real! Is Howard's mother based on the off screen voice of Norman's mother in Psycho? And it's obvious the most 'in love' couple are Sheldon and Penny(think about when they sing 'soft kitty' to each other!), go on that would be a great plot twist(secret affair).

I really enjoy the clever writing,that makes the show. Maybe they set out to make, the nerd version of 'Friends',but because the characters speak, and look like real people,the whole thing is believable.They seem real! Is Howard's mother based on the off screen voice of Norman's mother in Psycho? And it's obvious the most 'in love' couple are Sheldon and Penny(think about when they sing 'soft kitty' to each other!), go on that would be a great plot twist(secret affair).

You'll have to careful bringing up the Sheldon/Penny idea here. Most members are very pro the relationships already featured. I was never keen on the idea myself, but sometimes I wonder if I was wrong about that.

I have said before if Sheldon and Penny get together I will stop watching. As far as the Friends reference, I never cared for that show.

it's definitely Friends 2.0, but the characters aren't nearly as nerdy as they used to be.

No I never liked Friends,that's what I mean the characters were too perfect. Maybe the limited number of charcacters, in a show like this,means that eventually,they all do end up getting off with each other. Let's face it, it often happens in real life, amongst a close group! Yes I've seen some of the posts about Penny and Sheldon,and in real life they wouldn't get together,because 'social convention',would be against it(ie:other people),but I see a love between them,that will never be consumated.Look at the picture above! 

Oh boy. A couple of things you don't want to mention around here - one, that the show is like Friends. Two, that Sheldon and Penny should be together. (There's a thread for that, but it's the minority opinion and people are none too gracious about declaring the very idea as absurd.)

In fact...

:D

You're not reading what I said,after the success of Friends(I never got it either!),it was not surprising that alot of writers tried to emulate it,but because thay used believable characters,with belivable dialogue,they came up with something 'believable'! Something way better! And as for telling me what I can talk about,Get over yourselves! If you haven't got anything positive to add,just flush! Sheldon is a great character!

You're not reading what I said,after the success of Friends(I never got it either!),it was not surprising that alot of writers tried to emulate it,but because thay used believable characters,with belivable dialogue,they came up with something 'believable'! Something way better! And as for telling me what I can talk about,Get over yourselves! If you haven't got anything positive to add,just flush! Sheldon is a great character!

If you are talking to me you misunderstand me perhaps. My point was that maybe nerds prefer existential questions, genocide, death, violence, political commentary, Peabody award winning content and spaceships to Friends. The clip I think is a BSG special feature and was apropos if not entirely relevant.

And maybe I misunderstood you.

Also I think you weren't admonished, but given a "here be dragons advisory." It's a free board so say what you think, without diminishing anyone else. Don't let anyone Speckerman you.

Cheers

You're not reading what I said,after the success of Friends(I never got it either!),it was not surprising that alot of writers tried to emulate it,but because thay used believable characters,with belivable dialogue, they came up with something 'believable'! Something way better! And as for telling me what I can talk about,Get over yourselves! If you haven't got anything positive to add,just flush! Sheldon is a great character!

I'd agree with what you say from there...

But ...the biggest appeal of Sheldon from the start was always the fact that he was a bit of a sociopath. He didn’t understand how to properly interact people, he didn’t understand sarcasm and he had no problems with just abusing people absent-mindedly because he didn’t understand why he was wrong. This was the Sheldon we found funny, the Sheldon I came to like. :icon_cheesygrin:

It was just a general comment. I love this show(and it's about all I watch). Mainly because most programmes are so obvious, and cliched. I'm trying to think from the writer's perspective. They had to start from somewhere, and no doubt developed it to what we have today. Was Hitchcock an influence, for Howard's mother? I totally get Sheldon, because I share similar 'symptoms'. People who don't get sarcasm,have probably experienced it as the norm,while growing up. I'm just glad they created a character like him;O.C.D. etc is a pain to live with,but seeing it used in a humourous way,makes it easier!

comparing this show with friends....

lol

dude , nothing beats friends :p

i disagree with topic title

It was just a general comment. I love this show(and it's about all I watch). Mainly because most programmes are so obvious, and cliched. I'm trying to think from the writer's perspective. They had to start from somewhere, and no doubt developed it to what we have today. Was Hitchcock an influence, for Howard's mother? I totally get Sheldon, because I share similar 'symptoms'. People who don't get sarcasm,have probably experienced it as the norm,while growing up. I'm just glad they created a character like him;O.C.D. etc is a pain to live with,but seeing it used in a humourous way,makes it easier!

A agree with you. The most dynamic combination is Sheldon and Penny, at least it used to be. And yes, you just made a general comment but people here, have heard this suggestion many times, and most of them support the canon ships. Personally I think Sheldon and Penny combo could be written easily, and written well. But it's unlikely it ever will be because it would transform the show completely. Turn it on it head and I don't think the writers would take the risk.

• Like 1

As we've been discussing on that other thread, maybe they would balance each other out. She'd learn intellectual 'stuff' from him, and he'd understand emotions better,through contact with her. Which is pretty much what happens anyway! I don't really believe they'll ever get together, but I see a little smile on Penny's face, when Sheldon's off on one(but maybe Kaley can't help herself). I find most of the other characters quite obvious, and boring, (except Leslie Winkle). But there's something about these two.  Okay consider this; most women know quite alot of guys,who would do them a favour, like for instance going across town, to retrieve their TV from an ex-boyfriend. But how many guys know a woman, that would drive (let's say) 100 miles, emasculate a bully twice her size, (or as she said,'touch you in your special place'). All to retrieve a load of virtual crap(because she knew how much it meant to Shelly), and knowing full well that she would recieve no personal, or social gain! And why would Penny do this for Sheldon, who views all of humanity, not called Stephen Hawking,with contempt. Because he's the only guy, since she hit puberty, who isn't interested in getting her drunk, and jumping on her! He values her social,emotional,cultural(semiotic) intelligence. I said they were the most in love couple, but they are not playing the whole boring 'couple game'.

Edited by gaqo

. Don't let anyone Speckerman you.

I appreciate what you said. Obviously when we come to this site we haven't read everything that's gone before. It does seem like a few people are 'blinkered', and from what I've read else where, don't always read what people are saying. I say to anyone who contributes to this site; Welcome, your individual views are all valid. TBBT is a programme that we all love, and part of that, is our individual interpretation of the content. Whether that be the comedy, or some of the deeper issues it encompasses; human interaction, scientific principles, psychology, sci-fi, or where the writers got their inspiration, its cultural reference points.(I can't think of many programmes that cover so much!). 

. Don't let anyone Speckerman you.

[

I appreciate what you said. Obviously when we come to this site we haven't read everything that's gone before. It does seem like a few people are 'blinkered', and from what I've read else where, don't always read what people are saying. I say to anyone who contributes to this site; Welcome, your individual views are all valid. TBBT is a programme that we all love, and part of that, is our individual interpretation of the content. Whether that be the comedy, or some of the deeper issues it encompasses; human interaction, scientific principles, psychology, sci-fi, or where the writers got their inspiration, its cultural reference points.(I can't think of many programmes that cover so much!).

I think thanks. It is awesome here. And the folks will make you think. Some will make one think too hard - like at night or early morning when one should be sleeping.

(Careful with the quotes though. I got confused for a bit)

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Soon someone is going to ask: "Do you know a nerd version of TBBT?"

Red Dwarf, maybe. No.

As we've been discussing on that other thread, maybe they would balance each other out. She'd learn intellectual 'stuff' from him, and he'd understand emotions better,through contact with her. Which is pretty much what happens anyway! I don't really believe they'll ever get together, but I see a little smile on Penny's face, when Sheldon's off on one(but maybe Kaley can't help herself). I find most of the other characters quite obvious, and boring, (except Leslie Winkle). But there's something about these two. Okay consider this; most women know quite alot of guys,who would do them a favour, like for instance going across town, to retrieve their TV from an ex-boyfriend. But how many guys know a woman, that would drive (let's say) 100 miles, emasculate a bully twice her size, (or as she said,'touch you in your special place'). All to retrieve a load of virtual crap(because she knew how much it meant to Shelly), and knowing full well that she would recieve no personal, or social gain! And why would Penny do this for Sheldon, who views all of humanity, not called Stephen Hawking,with contempt. Because he's the only guy, since she hit puberty, who isn't interested in getting her drunk, and jumping on her! He values her social,emotional,cultural(semiotic) intelligence. I said they were the most in love couple, but they are not playing the whole boring 'couple game'.

And I don't think so. But you never know. Absence of signal indicates a COLLINS CLASS submarine. And thats pretty devastating. But I wouldn't bet your house on it.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

I have said before if Sheldon and Penny get together I will stop watching. As far as the Friends reference, I never cared for that show.

This.

I feel like the show is becoming more of a ''lifestyle'' sitcom. I miss the olden days. :(

• Like 1

This. Because TBBT sure as Hell isn't the nerd version of TBBT anymore.

This.

I feel like the show is becoming more of a ''lifestyle'' sitcom. I miss the olden days. :(

Alien is that you? You must be one of the longest serving members of this forum now... well of those who still post. Apart from BillF63 and netmouse, who still drop by occasionally.

I know what you mean, the early stuff was untouchable. They rarely made a bad episode. Every one was pure gold. :)

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 1

Interesting idea! Has anyone seen 'Freaks and Geeks'? I only saw a clip the other day, but it may be a contender! I'm tempted to go the other way, and put a posting on the 'Friends' fan page. >"Is this the bland version of The Big Bang Theory, only with less humour and plastic characters?"

Edited by gaqo