The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wannamaker

Is This Art? Debatable Issue...

Just an extravagant coffee table? I wish I had one... just to show off :lol:

I fear I can't afford one. Too pricey!

What anyone think?

Any comments for debate are taken very seriously in this thread just say anything you fancy,

post-8585-0-00898800-1365774128_thumb.jp

Art is whatever it's creator creates. Some may or may not like it, but it's all art just the same.

Oh... I like it alright, Anomaly. That kind of pop art is a commodity for fun purpose.

They cost £1,500 each to make... now pop artist's 'naked furniture' sculptures sell for record £2.6m

It's only outrageous how much they can fetch at auctions.

Here's on the paper what they say

Edited by wannamaker

Just an extravagant coffee table? I wish I had one... just to show off :lol:

I fear I can't afford one. Too pricey!

What anyone think?

Any comments for debate are taken very seriously in this thread just say anything you fancy,

Well, it is little bit OFFENSIVE, ha? :D

But as Anomaly said, nowadays it is not possible to say what is art and what is not. Once I went to an exhibition of Art and there were some ALIVE mice in small glass boxs hanging on the walls. Their bodies were painted in different colours. Well... when I saw this I thought : if the "Artist" wanted to be controversial and modern then he should had put HIMSELF in a small glass box hanging on the wall with his body painted, then I will really like his art :icon_lol:

It is difficult to discuss about art because nowadays the freedom we have for calling art to everything make it not possible to differentiate what is art and what is trash. Actually it is Art when the artist has the good luck of being supported for the critics and Media!! Then, whatever he does or point with his finger saying "this is Art" will become art magically.

Edited by Lissie

An artist once told me that because she is an artist, everything she does is Art.

So, every doodle she draws, and every painting she makes must be considered to be real art, because she is an artist (because she graduated from art school)

She really believed in this.

So, no matter how bad or low quality art an artist makes, it still has to be considered real art, because the maker was an artist.

On the other hand, if an amateur paints a portrait, it is not real art, no matter how brilliant the portrait is.

-because the amateur is not considered real artist.

Thats how it goes here in Finland anyway. Only graduated artist are considered real artists.

Art is whatever it's creator creates. Some may or may not like it, but it's all art just the same.

The act of being creative is in the inner soul of everyone. Some are more gifted or talented than others in the Arts in general,  as  for musicians, painters, potters, sculputors, movie makers and so forth... in the field of humanities and gender faculties.

Of course no every piece of art produced is the liking of everybody, I find myself to discuss this endless times in forums, without any substantial and effective conclusion to be drawn.

My aim here was to let anyone to have their say and if they wish to throw tomatoes at it...(being a virtual forum that would not be possible) please do with words instead, we pay for what is shown in museums and public galleries :icon_cheesygrin:  Art is devolving into many objects of commodities and like Lissie stated:" It is difficult to discuss about art... nowadays the freedom we have for calling art to everything make it not possible to differentiate what is art and what is trash."

Lissie also suggested: "Well, it is little bit OFFENSIVE, ha?" :D Did you mean the sculpture I posted?

Well in that case i post another one a photo taken long ago near a shop of exotic artfacts and a gallery as such. Nearby Knightbridge-London.

199501214_5276a99df7_m.jpg

Body chair fibre glass (uploaded on Flickr)

Edited by wannamaker

Thats how it goes here in Finland anyway. Only graduated artist are considered real artists.
[sherminator/quote]

Yeah agree that is the procedure in Uk too. They pass exames... they build up portfolios of bodywork. They get assessed by tutors. They go around to seek work. They must exibit their work if they want to be seen and approved.
Unfortunately no everyone makes it to the top to be a household name, as to speak. Self-promotion and ambition are the
driving forces to make it there. It's a bit like acting for actors. To make oneself known to the crowd. It's not paramount what you do but who you are. I could go on and on and also say how many drop outs artists there are around.
However I can say that there are also many who can manage to make a living out of commissioned portraits and also landscape paintings and still lifes. The majority of them opt for a teaching profession to get a steady income. And good for them they can make a living out of it without being famous.

Edited by wannamaker

When I was working on a local art gallery, we had a rather peculiar event:

-One artist wanted to paint up the gallery windows with yoghurt.

And then proceeded to do so!

You can imagine how the stuff smelled after it had been a while on the windows...

And that pretty much sums up the current state of modern Finnish art...

And this one is even weirder :D

Installation art is an art form that uses sculpture and other media forms to change how viewers experience a space.

Mark Jenkins is an installation artist whose works can be seen around the world. Some of the areas where Jenkins's work

seems to be common are New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.

Keep a look out for this unusual art form and the unusual reaction of viewers.

http://www.xmarkjenkinsx.com/outside.html

post-8585-0-13202700-1367216729_thumb.jp

Edited by wannamaker

The act of being creative is in the inner soul of everyone. Some are more gifted or talented than others in the Arts in general,  as  for musicians, painters, potters, sculputors, movie makers and so forth... in the field of humanities and gender faculties.

Of course no every piece of art produced is the liking of everybody, I find myself to discuss this endless times in forums, without any substantial and effective conclusion to be drawn.

My aim here was to let anyone to have their say and if they wish to throw tomatoes at it...(being a virtual forum that would not be possible) please do with words instead, we pay for what is shown in museums and public galleries :icon_cheesygrin:  Art is devolving into many objects of commodities and like Lissie stated:" It is difficult to discuss about art... nowadays the freedom we have for calling art to everything make it not possible to differentiate what is art and what is trash."

Lissie also suggested: "Well, it is little bit OFFENSIVE, ha?" :D Did you mean the sculpture I posted?

Well in that case i post another one a photo taken long ago near a shop of exotic artfacts and a gallery as such. Nearby Knightbridge-London.

199501214_5276a99df7_m.jpg

Body chair fibre glass (uploaded on Flickr)

SPLASH, SQUISH, Me throwing tomatoes !!

in the good old days, artists did art because they loved it, and had the inner urge to create something original and beautiful.

These days artistry is more like showmanship. Just make a big ruckus and people will think youre a big artist.

Was Jackson Pollock really the last modern artist that actually procuced works that could be qualified as Real Art???

• Like 1

in the good old days, artists did art because they loved it, and had the inner urge to create something original and beautiful.

These days artistry is more like showmanship. Just make a big ruckus and people will think youre a big artist.

Was Jackson Pollock really the last modern artist that actually produced works that could be qualified as Real Art???

Indeed he was the first artist I fell in love with.(1975)

Edited by wannamaker

Yes he was and indeed the first artist I fell in love with.

Don't you just love how you can keep watching his better works like forever, and keep finding new patterns and feelings and meanings in there?

Of course, not all his works do that. But the very best are sublime.

How come you are interested in the Arts, Sherminator?

In my case, I grew a keen interest (over the years) because it was the only good thing I could do with myself.

Quote:

"I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration" – Frida Kahlo

I discovered Frida in the 90's and since she has become my muse (Mexican Surrealist Artist)

Also here some interesting link to BBC that I watch regularly :D and I like to share in this thread now.

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/wjr5b/great-artists-in-their-own-words--series-1---1-the-future-is-now-1907-1939

Edited by wannamaker

Some years back, there was a Mexican artist called Frida Kahlo. Born in the 1900s, she died in 1954. The only other thing I know is that there was a movie based on her life, with Salma Hayek playing her.

• Like 1