Is This Art? Debatable Issue...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope you have speakers with your pc walnutcowboy you are in for a nice surprise

There's a few statements that hit me; 'capitalism will absorb everything, even those opposed to capitalism', and in some books they reach a point where they say 'from now onwards, I don't have the lan

Posted Images

Well Gaqo what a choice!

That is the ecstasy of Santa Teresa by the sculptor Bernini of Rome. It's a baroque extravaganza. Rome is the capital city of Baroque art. I lived there. You should take a flight (only two hours from London) to marvel the opere of Bernini. There're so many there that you can get lost amongst them. :)

I like that as well! Although my eyes keep going from square to square. We should find a picture or two, to dedicate to Shermy. I'm thinking, 'Finn shouting at a church, with a cat sat on it', is there anything like that!

I don't know, I just stick pic in My Pictures, press Browse,Attach etc. Do you know why some people don't show up as members online, but are still posting? How does the whole 'Friends' thing work? I've promised wannamaker that I'm going to post every piece of art ever produced, so if you, Count Wally, and anyone else wants to add your favourotes, that would be great!  

Hm. I'm guessing that's computer generated?

Reminds me of those slightly surreal flashy car adverts.

I'm just into this idea(which comes from Borges and Lacan), boundaries are removed between; reality and fiction, the real and the virtual, the unconscious and the real,etc. No boundaries, no limits. It's liberating, but also a bit mindblowing!

I hate modern art... people call it art because a beweldered person has decided to do something that nobody had ever dared to do before because it's stupid. Then they call it "art". The most famous example : Picasso. Come on, my 3 years old cousin can do that too !! I'm lmfao when I see people come to withdraw any complex meaning while most of the time, the author just thought about his dinner during the realisation of his "masterpiece". :icon_rolleyes:

But don't misunderstand, I like "art" when there is a real effort and performance beyond . I'm also fan of all greek, egyptian, baroque art.

Like that 432.jpg   

livele-28-juillet-1830.la-liberte-guidan

radeau.jpg

Edited by Redrose

@Redrose. Well great, I've been trying to resuscitate this thread, so give us lots of examples. I see it as an on line gallery. I'm a conceptual artist. The idea; artists were fed up with dealers and speculators making all the money from their art, and made mostly immaterial art, that had its basis in theories(from a diverse range of disciplines; science, philosophy, psychology,etc). ie: all the work goes into the thinking and visualising. But I appreciate all art!(worked my way through the drawing, painting phases,etc!)

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

"All Art is Quite Useless."-Oscar Wilde

And that, to me is the very definition of Art. That doesn't mean it's bad, on the contrary. I think that's the beauty of it, the extreme subjetivity at it's very finest.

Modern Art, Primitive Art, all of the movements mean something to someone, cause something to someone and that's the very essence of it. Wheter it is Van Gogh, Picasso, Basquiat, DuChamps, or Lacroix, Monet, Dali.

Whether if it is the skill we appreciate, or the mere expression, well, everything is art. Or not, again, the mere definitiion of art is that there isn't really one.

I hate modern art... people call it art because a beweldered person has decided to do something that nobody had ever dared to do before because it's stupid. Then they call it "art". The most famous example : Picasso. Come on, my 3 years old cousin can do that too !! I'm lmfao when I see people come to withdraw any complex meaning while most of the time, the author just thought about his dinner during the realisation of his "masterpiece". :icon_rolleyes:

But don't misunderstand, I like "art" when there is a real effort and performance beyond . I'm also fan of all greek, egyptian, baroque art.

Like that 432.jpg   

livele-28-juillet-1830.la-liberte-guidan

radeau.jpg

I think you're right, in a way. Modern art was like punk. When a form has reached its zenith in terms of practice, it leaves new practitioners little place to go. Picasso could paint like a master by the age of sixteen, so he looked back to basics; chidren's art, African art, outsider art, etc, to revitalise the form. Duchamp questioned how we define art, itself! They both still revered the great artists of the past. For me Guernica is one of the greatest paintings, because not only is it a great example of art, but also because of its social/political significance.350px-PicassoGuernica.jpg