A Poll About Tbbt Couples

wannamaker

A poll about TBBT couples   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which couple do you feel is nearest to your liking no for the show end but as your own lifestyle

• Bernadette/Howard
    • Penny/Leonard
    • Amy/Sheldon

Well, none of these couples reflect my reality. I'm sort of that sad little tumor nobody wants to go dress shopping with when it comes to men.  :p  It bothered me once, but I don't mind anymore.  I finally found somebody perfect for me... me!  lol.  

But the closest is Sheldon and Amy.  The closest I ever came to really being in love/kinda obsessed with someone was the guy who was my best friend, many years ago.  We were platonic best friends for a couple of years before we ever dated, and together about seven years all told.  I think friendship is the most important aspect of any romantic relationship; sex is great and all, but as Sheldon says, "what do you talk about after the coitus?" I know two couples who have been married for a long time, and their friendship is what keeps them together. 

Nevertheless, after five years living together my best friend left me for a hot girl, so who knows.  It was awkward for a long time - we worked together - but after the dust settled, which took about a year, we were able to pick up once more our "relationship of the mind."  I'm friends with his wife (not the girl he left me for) and we get together pretty regularly.  I love him like a brother - my brother actually introduced us, and they were good friends for a long time before my brother died - so we have a long history of friendship that's important to both of us, and I'm glad he's still my friend. He has a lot of issues though (alcoholism, for one), so when I look back at that time, rather than "the one who got away" I regard it as "thank God for unanswered prayers."  :)

Body language tells you if people are in love or not.

Between our BBT couples, there is not much body language of love. Even the kisses are very clinical.

Honestly, have you seen Penny's body react to Leonard's presense in a loving way (unless they are having a bed scene)? Have you seen Penny looking at leonard in a loving and affectionate way?

People who are in love cannot stop gazing lovingly at the love of their life. But when penny looks at leonard, there is no love in her eyes. Just bemusement, usually.

SAme for Bernadette. There is no love in her looks toward Howard, nor is her body reacting to Howard's presense in a loving way.

Do not listen to what people say. Look at their body language, and you will find what they feel about the people around them.

OF course, the lack of love in the body language might come from the fact that the persons in question are not very good actors...

OF course, the lack of love in the body language might come from the fact that the persons in question are not very good actors...

Ding ding ding... you got it.

To be fair, I wouldn't say they're "not very good actors," rather that the kind of on-screen chemistry that makes a couple really seem like a couple is fairly rare. 

To defend Penny I have to say that in the scene where she went to Leonard's lab and he was doing his hologram thing for her, she looked at him with a LOT of love in her eyes.  Probably my favorite scene between them in the whole series.

• Like 1

Body language tells you if people are in love or not.

Between our BBT couples, there is not much body language of love. Even the kisses are very clinical.

Honestly, have you seen Penny's body react to Leonard's presense in a loving way (unless they are having a bed scene)? Have you seen Penny looking at leonard in a loving and affectionate way?

People who are in love cannot stop gazing lovingly at the love of their life. But when penny looks at leonard, there is no love in her eyes. Just bemusement, usually.

SAme for Bernadette. There is no love in her looks toward Howard, nor is her body reacting to Howard's presense in a loving way.

Do not listen to what people say. Look at their body language, and you will find what they feel about the people around them.

@Sherminator

They all are like a dysfunctional family (TBBT) in which members play rigid roles and where communication is severely restricted to statements that fits those roles.   In that case actors are not free to express a full range of experiences, wants, needs and feelings but rather limit themselves to play that part which accommodate those roles, once played by their own family members (fathers, mothers and relatives if adopted etc..) In so far, as circumstances change, the members also change. (That is a very common dynamic) Those characters somehow have been damaged in their lives (emotional trauma). So when love happens… it’s hard to accomplish.

Regarding body language very difficult to perceive whether is real act or a false act.

For instance the act of smooching can be intoxicating to the point of being nauseating for the watcher. (unless the watcher is in need of a great emotional kick of some kind)

Passionate and caring is the unconditional love I am looking for here.

Edited by wannamaker

Also there is a growing population that don't need or want to be tied into a relationship and I know plenty including myself that are very happy :)

Yeah let's go with the TBBT Mob surprise rachygd :)

Shamy is the only relationship here that has love and compassion in it.

Take Penny and Lenny:

-Penny still waits for the right one to come along and sweep her off her feet. Lenny is just a rest stop for her.

-And Lenny is not in love, he is obsessed with Penny just because she is the complete opposite of his mother. (as you can read from the book Needy baby creedy baby)

So no love there.

As for Howie and Bernadette, they married out of desperation and loneliness. Not love

-They both felt they cannot find any better, so both settled for each other for the lack of better in the end.

So, the marriage was born from mutual loneliness and desperation.

They might get comfort from each other, but not love.

But Shamy, now there is real love. It is clear that Sheldon and Amy are very devoted to each other, and really enjoy being together. Now that's real love!

But hey, most couples are not in love, so you should not feel bad for the others. I mean 99% of marriages are made from some other motives than love.

-Of course, everyone says they married out of love, but if you start digging their motives with deep analysis, you find something rather different...

I don't agree with this. I think all of the couples are together on this show are together out of love. 

Howard and Bernadette wouldn't have gotten married if they hadn't loved each other. Couples do not get married out of comfort or loneliness. They met each other and knew that they wanted to spend their lives together. That's sweet. And sure they bicker but so does every couple!

As for Penny and Leonard, I do believe that Leonard is more invested than Penny is at the moment but as he said earlier he has been in the relationship for two years longer than she has. Just because Penny is not caught up does not invalidate her/their feelings. It just means that she is at a different place than Leonard is and that's ok because that happens to real couples too. 

And as for the Shamy, Sheldon and Amy are together out of a mutual admiration/respect/love. I think it's obvious that their attachment is getting deeper but I'm not sure if it is at declaration of love stage. Plus what really annoys me about this couple on the show is that the other characters make fun of the lack of a sexual component to their relationship. You can have a deep and meaningful relationship without a sexual component. 

Back on topic- In real life I'm probably more like Howard/Bernadette.

• Like 1

Shamy is the only relationship here that has love and compassion in it.

Sheldon has love and compassion. Your kidding? Amy is the only one that has love and compassion. Sheldon only does things for her when he is forced and is devoted to himself.

Leonard and Penny have changed a lot from season 1. As the previous posted stated L/P may be in a different place. Penny seems to be catching up fast. Your opinion of them doesn't seem to take into account the last 2/3 of season 6.

H/B married out of desperation. Really? As previous poster had stated they wouldn't have gotten married unless for love. They are a typical couple.

Yeah they do! But I was hoping for a more personal answer, Kitka. (Which couple do you feel is nearest to your liking no for the show end but as your own lifestyle.) :) 

Tbh, I can't compare myself to any of them.

Tbh, I can't compare myself to any of them.

Kitka just like Moonbase said. Well perhaps that because your situation is better than TBBT couples per se.

My preference is in between  Bernadette/Howard experience and Penny/Leonard experience as nowadays there are many couples who opt to live together without being in the wedlock.

Edited by wannamaker

Sheldon has love and compassion. Your kidding? Amy is the only one that has love and compassion. Sheldon only does things for her when he is forced and is devoted to himself.

Leonard and Penny have changed a lot from season 1. As the previous posted stated L/P may be in a different place. Penny seems to be catching up fast. Your opinion of them doesn't seem to take into account the last 2/3 of season 6.

Howard/Bernadette married out of desperation. Really? 

As previous poster had stated they wouldn't have gotten married unless for love. They are a typical couple.

Indeed they are a typical couple :) (Often they argue fiercely but other times they are so sweet and likable. I also like that little thing when she says: Howy :wub: )

• 3 weeks later...

I think the problem is that most people learn about 'relationships', from observing their parents. Feminism has allowed women to rip up the script. Once men do the same, then everthing will change, and they can both rip up the 'relationship' script. A friend of mine had the perfect idea; his girlfriend had an apartment on the same floor as his, they both had their own space(territory),decorated to their tastes. That would probably cut out 50% of arguments. (Sounds like P/L). I think you need honesty, and be adult enough to transcend all the petty;jealousy,control,selfishness,etc.(maybe S/A). But hey relationships are as individual as the people in them, so in theory people should be able to create whatever suits them!  

• Like 1

I think the problem is that most people learn about 'relationships', from observing their parents. Feminism has allowed women to rip up the script. Once men do the same, then everthing will change, and they can both rip up the 'relationship' script.

A friend of mine had the perfect idea; his girlfriend had an apartment on the same floor as his, they both had their own space(territory),decorated to their tastes. That would probably cut out 50% of arguments. (Sounds like P/L). I think you need honesty, and be adult enough to transcend all the petty;jealousy,control,selfishness,etc.(maybe S/A). But hey relationships are as individual as the people in them, so in theory people should be able to create whatever suits them!  

Is that the case? That to maintain a strong sense of self apart from the relationship there are couples wanting to spend summers separately from their partners. Some make time for wine with the girls. One septuagenarian has a recurring date with an old flame from high school. The old saying appears to be true: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder".

Indeed, can also be said that to have separate beds or bedrooms and separate bathrooms can steam up the relationship of the couples living together for longer?

An architect says that more clients are asking for separate quarters when designing new homes or in the re-design of older homes. "The Home Of The Future", one of which addressed separate bedrooms. Apparently the demand for dual master bedroom suites "would increase significantly for upscale new homes".

Quote by Iris Krasnow:

“I'm not just talking about regular girls nights out or taking separate vacations. Women and men often use the word "mystery" as an essential component of sustained romance and love. Many couples I interviewed keep that mystery alive through separate bedrooms and separate bathrooms that separate their sex lives and annoying personalrituals.

Naked flossing and a jiggling belly is NOT pretty, one wife of 20 years told me. Hardly puts you in the mood to want to jump someone's bones."

It's definetly true that individuals should maintain their own identity, and keep some mystery! With the seperate, but close by apartments, the idea was the they could visit each other, and be totally gracious about the lifestyle/tastes of the other(unlike L/P). In fact, I think it's good for each of them to expand their tolerance and understanding. It's interesting how humans have gone from the Pagan model, through the Christian model, but it's time for a shift in consciousness, on so many levels! It's exciting, because anything is possible!

I'D say my relationship is like howard/bernadette but half sheldon/amy. i love my boyfriend dearly, but we're too young to be at the "intimate" stage of our relationship. i'm sixteen and he's seventeen, we're nothing like penny/leonard but according to a test, my personality is similar to leonards, and my boyfriends matched to leonards also. we're a perfect match. so i'd say we're more howard/bernadette and shamy.

BCH

X

"live long and prosper" -Sheldon cooper 

Never seen the point in marriage.

-I mean you cannot own a person.

And it's so easy to divorce these days.

I suppose men do it to get regular sex easily (or so they hope!)

And women do it because they want a big wedding, and a zany wedding ring to show off to their jealous friends.

So, men do it out of lazyness and lust, and women do it out of vapid obsession with weddings.

I don't know for definite, but I think it was supposed to be a christian way of bringing stability to relationships. In fact relationships are more like 'chains of people', rather than discrete couple units. So it's like the pagan system, with an overlay of christian idealism! Considering 'TBBT generation', experimented with relationships(platonic, abstinence to liberated). On the show they could have experimented with; S+P, A+S+P, A+(LW), H+B+R, H+R-B. They've played with some of these, but have stuck to the obvious couple pairings. Remember the early Spike Lee film, 'She's Gotta Have It'. Nola has three men in her life; the intelligent nerdy one, the hunky sporty one, and the charming rich one. The idea being, that we get different things from different people in our lives, which we can't get from only one. 

Never seen the point in marriage.

-I mean you cannot own a person.

And it's so easy to divorce these days.

I suppose men do it to get regular sex easily (or so they hope!)

And women do it because they want a big wedding, and a zany wedding ring to show off to their jealous friends.

So, men do it out of lazyness and lust, and women do it out of vapid obsession with weddings.

Marriage is a contract when you have a civil wedding and even more than that if you go to church to bond spiritually that agreement.

People marry for all kind of reasons. Good ones and bad ones. To make a relationship last that's the main problem.

When things go wrong yes it's easy to separate nowadays. I mean legally speaking. As there so many ways out of it, including

extended family settlements.

Some historical perspective:

If you look at the Bible, you will find that marriage was just a contract of ownership.

So, when a man married a woman, the woman became the property of the man in the eyes of the law.
-So much so, that the man could then do as he pleased with the woman, even kill the woman, if he so chose. And the Biblical laws would not punish him for it, after all, the woman was merely property, like a vase or an oxen.

Of course, touching somebody elses property was big crime.

So, originally and Biblically speaking, marriage had nothing to do with love.

It was only recently that love became to be seen as a reason for marriage, or as a cement that would keep the marriage together.

Total poppycock if you ask me...

Some historical perspective:

If you look at the Bible, you will find that marriage was just a contract of ownership.

So, when a man married a woman, the woman became the property of the man in the eyes of the law.

-So much so, that the man could then do as he pleased with the woman, even kill the woman, if he so chose. And the Biblical laws would not punish him for it, after all, the woman was merely property, like a vase or an oxen.

Of course, touching somebody elses property was big crime.

So, originally and Biblically speaking, marriage had nothing to do with love.

It was only recently that love became to be seen as a reason for marriage, or as a cement that would keep the marriage together.

Total poppycock if you ask me...

You seems to be confused Sherminator in between the Bible of the past tense and the istitution of marriage as it is now.

That's why you say it's all poppycock...

I don't know for definite, but I think it was supposed to be a christian way of bringing stability to relationships. In fact relationships are more like 'chains of people', rather than discrete couple units. So it's like the pagan system, with an overlay of christian idealism! Considering 'TBBT generation', experimented with relationships(platonic, abstinence to liberated). On the show they could have experimented with; S+P, A+S+P, A+(LW), H+B+R, H+R-B. They've played with some of these, but have stuck to the obvious couple pairings. Remember the early Spike Lee film, 'She's Gotta Have It'. Nola has three men in her life; the intelligent nerdy one, the hunky sporty one, and the charming rich one. The idea being, that we get different things from different people in our lives, which we can't get from only one. 

@ gaqo

I would like to say with simplicity that there are many categories of relationships. There is a catalogue of stories to be written and read about.

However it all depends from what background a person is from and the personal experience coming with it. Once a family management psycotherapist told me that herself loved to mix business with casual love affairs. She could even work better with partners or collegues after that. I could not. If I had an affair I would feel very embarassed to work with that person ever again. Because I do not believe that kind of casual sexual relation would improve my life. For example Leonard and Penny have been in a relationship many years in the show (on and off as you well know) but they feel at ease to talk about other affairs they had, while they were on the break from each other.

i

Edited by wannamaker

I think what appears on the surface, that people live in discrete couples, or alone, is one way of viewing human life, but under the surface, everything is more complex. I absorb all ideas, all viewpoints. I think about all possibilities, and always try not to be judgemental. But I still have my own 'code of living'. I suppose we all decide what's right for us, and makes us happy. The psychotherapist, probably found it exciting, maybe she felt more empowered, or even was just happy to get it out of the way!

I think what appears on the surface, that people live in discrete couples, or alone, is one way of viewing human life, but under the surface, everything is more complex. I absorb all ideas, all viewpoints. I think about all possibilities, and always try not to be judgemental. But I still have my own 'code of living'. I suppose we all decide what's right for us, and makes us happy. The psychotherapist, probably found it exciting, maybe she felt more empowered, or even was just happy to get it out of the way!

I guess it must be the excitement of an illicit love to keep her steam going in her life. ;)

By the way I've read somewhere in the forum that you know Woody Allen. Well he is known as the king of the one-liner comedy quip. His comedy has influenced many television shows. Allen himself has been heavily influenced by European cinema. Also Allen's personal life has created miles of newspaper gossip fodder. His relationships with women and with his adopted daughter created both scandal and a backlash. Many film critics have claimed that his films are just a retread of familiar themes and plots.

Edited by wannamaker

I guess it must be the excitement of an illicit love to keep her steam going in her life. ;)

By the way I've read somewhere in the forum that you know Woody Allen. Well he is known as the king of the one-liner comedy quip. His comedy has influenced many television shows. Allen himself has been heavily influenced by European cinema. Also Allen's personal life has created miles of newspaper gossip fodder. His relationships with women and with his adopted daughter created both scandal and a backlash. Many film critics have claimed that his films are just a retread of familiar themes and plots.

I have an interest in Jewish culture, and they have been through many trials, as a people. They've developed a sharp and witty humour to help them cope. I have been wondering what American culture would be like if it hadn't been for the large Jewish immigrant influx, escaping persecution in Europe. Chuck Lorre is obviously Jewish. Isn't it great that out of great adversity, they developed great humour. Woody Allen is intelligent and witty, and I think it's to his credit that, like Quentin Tarantino, he looked to European cinema for inspiration. To WA it's probably like getting 'inspiration from the old country'(if that's even a saying). I loved his films; from 'Manhatten', 'Annie Hall' period. Strangely enough it was a scene in TBBT which made me change my way of thinking, about judging artists and their work, by what we think we know about their personal life. Critics eh! what do they know. 

• Like 1