The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sherminator

What You Miss The Most Of The Good Old Days?

So!

What do you miss the most of the Good Old Days?

I mean the days when lemonade tasted like lemonade, when kids knew how to behave, and when you could actually repair your own car because there were none of those computers and rams in them...

Any comments and whines welcome!

Personally I miss real photography the most.

-In these days of digital cameras and photoshop, anyone can take great shots.

But in the Good Old Days, it took real skill to get the perfect pic, as you had to know how to compose the pic and how to read the light and set the camera accordingly and so on.

And even then it was a lot of luck whether you got a good photograph or not.

All that is lost now. Even I do not use real cameras anymore, as digital cameras are so much better.

Sigh... :icon_rolleyes:

I miss the days when gas was a dollar a gallon and a concert, even a big act, was $25.  

So!

...Personally I miss real photography the most.

-In these days of digital cameras and photoshop, anyone can take great shots.

But in the Good Old Days, it took real skill to get the perfect pic, as you had to know how to compose the pic and how to read the light and set the camera accordingly and so on.

Sigh... :icon_rolleyes:

While what you say about photoshop is true, there are still cameras being made that require user skill & knowledge. Yes, there are a lot of digital cameras that are simply point & shoot, but there are just as many (like the Nikon  & Canon that my Wife owns) that need things like aperture setting, shutter speed, manual focusing, lens selection, etc, etc. Anyone may be able to take a good picture with a point & shoot, but those types of cameras will never take any truly spectacular pictures. This brings me to...

What I really miss are the days where quality (especially in performance) took precedence over things like convenience and ease of use. Today's cameras are a good example, but for me, being an audiophile, I really miss high quality audio playback. It's not that high quality can't be had today, but it's difficult to find and can be extremely expensive. I refuse to own portable music players and consider things like MP3 players to be absolute abominations when it comes to audio reproduction. It's not that I own ultra high-end gear, but I refuse to buy crap, especially when the product is crap in it's core conception. Absolutely no iPods, Home Theaters in a Box or Earbuds for me. If I could switch my entire music collection over to vinyl, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What I miss most about the Good Ol' Days is walking (bare foot)  5 miles (through brier patches), in the snow (it snowed year round), up hill (both ways), just to get to the Outhouse. (only to find that there is no Sears Robuck paper left).

AAAAAH....The Good Ol' Days !!

• Like 1

It was hell!

(My Italian relatives were sent to the Isle of Man as prisoners on amid general suspicion of their loyalties to the British country.)

While what you say about photoshop is true, there are still cameras being made that require user skill & knowledge. Yes, there are a lot of digital cameras that are simply point & shoot, but there are just as many (like the Nikon  & Canon that my Wife owns) that need things like aperture setting, shutter speed, manual focusing, lens selection, etc, etc. Anyone may be able to take a good picture with a point & shoot, but those types of cameras will never take any truly spectacular pictures. This brings me to...

What I really miss are the days where quality (especially in performance) took precedence over things like convenience and ease of use. Today's cameras are a good example, but for me, being an audiophile, I really miss high quality audio playback. It's not that high quality can't be had today, but it's difficult to find and can be extremely expensive. I refuse to own portable music players and consider things like MP3 players to be absolute abominations when it comes to audio reproduction. It's not that I own ultra high-end gear, but I refuse to buy crap, especially when the product is crap in it's core conception. Absolutely no iPods, Home Theaters in a Box or Earbuds for me. If I could switch my entire music collection over to vinyl, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

True about the audio quality. I mean the stuff you can get for your mp3 players and stuff are rather low quality, because the data files cannot be that huge. And the stuff you can download from internet for free (the illegal stuff) is even lower quality with all the instrument mushing together...

I think in future things will get better as the file sizes get bigger and less packaging is required. But in the past, where did you get really high quality recordings???

As for cameras, it is true that high end digitals require knowledge on how to use them. But honestly, the difference between a compact digital and a 'real' digital camere is very small, if we look at regular size pictures. You only really see a difference when you print the pics in large size. And even then many really good compacts triumh over cheaper 'real' digital cameras. I've known many who have bought a real expensive digital camera, only to notice that the resulting pics are less good than ones they took with their cheap compact!

-In the Good Old Days, you knew what you'd get when you bought a new camera. These days, it's anybodys guess...

Edited by Sherminator

True about the audio quality. I mean the stuff you can get for your mp3 players and stuff are rather low quality, because the data files cannot be that huge. And the stuff you can download from internet for free (the illegal stuff) is even lower quality with all the instrument mushing together...

I think in future things will get better as the file sizes get bigger and less packaging is required. But in the past, where did you get really high quality recordings???

As for cameras, it is true that high end digitals require knowledge on how to use them. But honestly, the difference between a compact digital and a 'real' digital camere is very small, if we look at regular size pictures. You only really see a difference when you print the pics in large size. And even then many really good compacts triumh over cheaper 'real' digital cameras. I've known many who have bought a real expensive digital camera, only to notice that the resulting pics are less good than ones they took with their cheap compact!

-In the Good Old Days, you knew what you'd get when you bought a new camera. These days, it's anybodys guess...

Vinyl. Just listen to the best digital recording of anything you wish, then listen to the same piece on vinyl (if you can), and the difference in beyond night & day. You'll hear things in the music that you never would have known existed.

I miss the days when you had to use a cardboard box to "invent" your fort or use your own imagination to fight the deadly foe.  When you had to go outside because there was nothing but chores in the house....

That's probably because they didn't know what they were doing. Sure, you can get good pictures really easily with a point & shoot, but you sacrifice the ability to have real control over the shot. Most people have no clue how to control the pictures that a manual camera will take. It's like someone that doesn't know how to cook... Give him/her a box of frozen fried chicken and he/she will get an acceptable meal. Give that same person raw chicken and some other ingredients, and the result will more than likely be a grease fire. Put those same ingredients in the hands of a trained chef, and you'll get a melt in your mouth plate of food.    

This seems to be the way everything is going nowadays... It's all getting so automatic & easy, that people have no real skills anymore. It's because they get acceptable (albeit mediocre) results without them.

Edited by Anomaly

I miss the sports of the good old days!

I mean back in the day, sportsmen and -women were regular people, the heroes of the common folk.

But these days sportsmen and -women are professional athletes, and rather egoistic and diva-like ones to boot.

-with huge salaries too.

In the good old days, people did sports because loved the sport. These days people do sports on pro level because of the money they make.

It's so sad.

I miss the sports of the good old days!

I mean back in the day, sportsmen and -women were regular people, the heroes of the common folk.

But these days sportsmen and -women are professional athletes, and rather egoistic and diva-like ones to boot.

-with huge salaries too.

In the good old days, people did sports because loved the sport. These days people do sports on pro level because of the money they make.

It's so sad.

While I agree that many athletes are egotistical divas in it for the money (I can't stand the jock type to begin with)... The simple fact is that with these sports, the money is being generated, and it has to go somewhere. Who deserves the money that is actually being raked in more than the ones who are actually playing the sports? The thing is, with almost any other business, the ones who do most of the work usually reap the least of the payout, while the higher-ups who do little and the vast majority of the time are out of touch with the very business they are controlling, see huge payouts. I say good for the athletes who are making ridiculous money, because they are the ones who are actually earning the money that is coming in.

Speaking of old cameras, I had this old skool leica somewhere, one that needed all values dialled in manually!

-If I could just find it I could use it this summer for some old skool photography!

As for sports, I think they could reduce the amount of prize money in many sports events, and put the resulting overflow of money to sports focused charity (play fields and balls for poor neighbohoods and so on)

And some pros, such as NHL players, F1 drivers, and NFL players do have way bigger salary than the work they actually do would suggest...

The thing is, these sports generate money, and lots of it. Would I like to see ticket prices lowered? Of course, but the simple fact is professional sports is a big money business and it takes a lot to keep teams going. There are many, many people behind the scenes... Trainers, doctors, vendors, groundskeepers, etc, etc. There are play-fields (including racetracks) to be maintained, uniforms to be purchased, cleaned & kept up, utilities (electric, water, etc) to be paid for, etc. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes. The bottom line is that this all goes on because players are there playing these games. If owners want to keep their sponsors and fans coming to the events, they need winning teams. It takes big money to build & maintain a winning team outside of the players themselves. Maybe these marquee players don't actually deserve the kind of money they are making, but the simple fact is the money is coming in. I think it's only right that the people who it's all centered around are making their fare share of what's already coming in. Maybe you'd rather see the "suits" pocket all the cash on the backs of the players? 

Anomaly, old bean, you do know that the moneymen in suits taking all the money is just a urban legend...

You're not getting my point, which is... The money IS being made, and paychecks are going to be big. Who should receive that money? IMHO, it should be the players, along with the people who own the teams (or anyone actually putting out money). And no, the men in the suits taking all the money is not an urban legend. It's the way business is done. If you don't believe it is, you're in serious denial.

I miss hairy women!

I mean these days women shave their legs, hands, eyebrows, armpits, and of course, their bush.

Which is a bit lame, IMO.

Ah, but for the good old days when women were not afraid of bodily hair!

I miss all the children getting together outside and actually making up games like seeing who can make the best rock pile or even playing catch now a days all the kids have video games and tecnolagy and dont really hang out and tv but i LOVE big bang therory..m :) mm well yes i miss those days

I miss the good old videogames magazines of the 90's, with their silly cartoonish pictures and even sillier jokes.

I often read these old mags, and especially the letters pages. Because of the nostalgia, an the humour.

In one letter, a reader said he had just bought an Atari Jaguar, and it was, according to him, a brilliant machine.

-Atari Jaguar!!!! :icon_biggrin::icon_lol::icon_biggrin:

-Was that reader you, Anomaly???

I'd have to agree about the kids bit. It's insane what the whole "Rebel Without a Cause" fad created. Too cool for school did a lot of harm. Of course, now we have the rap culture to prolong the issue.

And music. Not cost but style. There really hasn't been a decent replacement for Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Aerosmith, Stones, Who, etc... Good rock is dying...slowly...and still touring from time to time.

• Like 1

I miss the good old videogames magazines of the 90's, with their silly cartoonish pictures and even sillier jokes.

I often read these old mags, and especially the letters pages. Because of the nostalgia, an the humour.

In one letter, a reader said he had just bought an Atari Jaguar, and it was, according to him, a brilliant machine.

-Atari Jaguar!!!! :icon_biggrin::icon_lol::icon_biggrin:

-Was that reader you, Anomaly???

No, that wasn't me, but I do still own a Jaguar!!! It didn't have that many great games, but it did have what was considered the very best version of DOOM available anywhere. It also had Alien Vs Predator, which was better than any attempt at an AVP game to this very day. Was it a great machine? No, but IMHO it did have the best controller of it's day.

Remember any of the following from the swinging 90's?

Megadrive

32X

3DO

GameGear

MegaCD

SNES

CD32

Atari Lynx

Neo Geo

Saturn

Master System

Man, in those days you really had a huge selection of consoles to choose from! And the best thing was, they all looked super cool! (to me, anyway)

So, how many of the above did you own, anomaly?

Me, I was commodore gamer back then (64, then A500) But I did get to play many of the consoles on friend's.

P.S. What happened to Jupiter? Did it even launch???