The Office (Farewell Season)

Mars

Well, I just wanted to ask who's been watching season 9, why, and what you think of this season so far. I'm looking for any thoughts on the show, really. Comments on previous seasons are welcome.

We're only a couple of episodes away from the end of an era!

I personally haven't really enjoyed The Office since the end of the seventh season, but continue to watch it for the sake of knowing where my favourite characters (Jim, Pam, Clark, Erin, Darryl) end up. The drama this season is way too manufactured (what have they done to Jam?!), Dwight and Andy are cartoon characters, and the revelation of the documentary crew has been a nightmare; but for some reason, I still love these people and hope they get their happy endings :)

I adore the Office, though season eight was pretty terrible.  I'm still watching for Jim and Pam. I liked that they wanted to give them some angst this season, but I think it could have been done better. I have zero doubt that all will be well with them in the end, so I haven't minded seeing all the drama - though, as I say, I feel things could have been written better. It was realistic enough that there would be issues with Jim working out of town so much; why do that bit with the sound guy?  It seemed....beneath them.  I have always loved that Jim and Pam were not your typical "oh god they're breaking up again" sitcom couple, and a lot of that part of the story felt contrived.  The end of the last episode was pretty magical though.  :)

It's funny that Michael was far from my favorite character, but he really added so much to the show.  Making Andy the boss was a horrendous mistake. I like Ed Helms but he was not the guy to take Steve's spot and the fact that they tried to turn him into Michael in so many ways just made it worse.  At this point, I despise Andy and can't wait for him to bid us all adieu.  

I'm still hoping Dwight and Angela end up together.  I don't really care too much about anyone else - I'll be curious to see what happens to the rest of them, but I'm not emotionally invested in anyone else.

Agreed! The sound guy bit irritated the heck out of me. Were really supposed to belive there was even a hint of a chance that there would be an affair? No way. And yeah, the hug at the end of the last episode really touched me (oh, I'm so sentimental). But I feel like they kind of ruined that honest emotional moment by having them smile at each other and say "I love you" at the end. It was much more poigniant when they were both clinging to each other wordlessly. I just hope this isn't a sign that the drama is over since, y'know, nothing has really been resolved.

And if Jim quits his new job and moves back to Scranton, I'll eat my hat. Well, first I'll find a hat and purchase it. Then, I'll eat it. That's the one thing (aside from a Jim/Pam breakup) that will ruin the entire series for me.

I was really into The Office for a while. Then Steve Carell left and Jim & Pam went from being cool characters to kinda douchy... I just stopped watching. In all honesty, as much as I was into it, I kind of forgot about it. I hate to say it, but I'm nearly at that point with TBBT too.

Aw, that's a shame. I can see where you're coming from as far as The Office is concerned, but both shows have changed drastically over the years. I just have trouble letting go of shows. I mean, I've stuck by it so long, I might as well watch it to the end. Same with BBT, though I still enjoy it.

I'm curious, is there anything that could possibly happen on BBT that would cause you to drop it the way you dropped The Office?

Aw, that's a shame. I can see where you're coming from as far as The Office is concerned, but both shows have changed drastically over the years. I just have trouble letting go of shows. I mean, I've stuck by it so long, I might as well watch it to the end. Same with BBT, though I still enjoy it.

I'm curious, is there anything that could possibly happen on BBT that would cause you to drop it the way you dropped The Office?

I wouldn't say I just dropped The Office... It just started sucking and I found myself watching other things when I could have been watching it. One day I realized I hadn't watched even one episode in almost a year. So I didn't dump it, I just kinda forgot about it.

To be completely honest, I have pretty much stopped watching TBBT at this point. The last few episodes that I did watch nearly made me throw up into my own mouth. I think the last one I did see was the one where everybody gathered around and gave their versions of Howard's Father's letter. It was just so goofy, I realized that the show had indeed rounded the final "chick flick" corner. I haven't been thrilled with the show since season 4 (mainly because I loathed Priya), but it's just gone so far downhill since then and changed so much, that aside from the first three seasons, I almost hate TBBT. Howard has gone from one of my all-time favorite characters to a typical, boring, neutered sit-com Husband that is barely even a good background character anymore. Sheldon is slowly being destroyed in the same way that Howard was and Raj is just a d-bag from the get-go. The main cast (number-wise) has become too bloated & too relationship centered for my taste. TBBT is worse than your typical been there, done that rom-com because it was one once unique with great potential. It was once a show about geeks... It's now about douchey 20-somethings that just happen to be smart. As I've said before, it went from intelligent to pop bubble-gum for tweens.

Edited by Anomaly

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that that finale hit all the right notes. I mean, I actually teared up a bit. What a wonderful send off to all the characters that we grew to know and love over the past 9 seasons.

Goodbye, Office. You really frustrated me towards the end there, but I'm going to miss the heck out of you.