89 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Absolutely no last name for Penny! I want there to be a wedding scene where they get to "Will you Penny... " and someone coughs or sneezes so we don't hear her last name. LOL. :p

Until they announce " I now present Leonard and Penny Hofstader".

• Like 4

Absolutely no last name for Penny! I want there to be a wedding scene where they get to "Will you Penny... " and someone coughs or sneezes so we don't hear her last name. LOL. :p

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Now that we have L&P's relationship cemented and Raj has lost his mutism, can we please give Penny a last name? Writers? How 'bout it?  It's inexplicably starting to bother me.  On my list for Season 7.

Don't think that is going to happen.  Lorre and company said something about being superstition after all this time.

Until they announce " I now present Leonard and Penny Hofstader".

I think this is where it's going too.  Too far into the show to change things now according to TPTB.

• Like 2

I thought this was good ... that's it.... nothing special...

The Leonard going away for expedition story was kind of repetitive ( kind of expected from the show which does a lot of repetitions)

screen freezing jokes were fun ..... lucy's screen freeze face was quite amusing...

Penny had good and funny interactions with Leonard Sheldon and Raj

Sheldon as-usual made everything about himself as Leonard was leaving....I feel it is moments like this is when a little emotion from Sheldon's side has to be shown...if they go for a cheap laugh ...it is hard to see the bond between them....

Howard bringing up the space thing was surprisingly funny...i guess it was because is has'nt been referenced since long time....

I guess they just don't need to put a beer bottle somewhere on the screen whenever Raj has scene with girls anymore... :p ( his sadness in the ending scene felt very real...I thought it was nicely acted )

Overall this season seems to tiny steps for the characters .... Leonard and Penny are becoming a happy couple....Sheldon is comfortable to think about a life with Amy in it....Raj went from needing Stuart to finally being able to talk to girls.....Howard coming out of his mother's cocoon...

All this while good .... feels formulaic...logical ...straight forward ....and still this would have been fine it were as funny as the previous seasons were...but the humor level has certainly decreased...or sometimes the jokes are not funny because they are too predictable...

And how lame was the idea that Sheldon thinks his friends as star trek characters ... it looked like the writers just wanted to make a geeky reference ...check

And who does goodbyes and hugs while sitting in a car... I mean come on....

Edited by vasu

Isn't that necklace the first real piece of jewelry he has given her. The Lord of the Rings thing doesn't count.

I believe so.  The only other serious gift that I have seen him give to her is the snow flake. 

I wonder at that snowflake- seriously I would try to get that placed at a necklace if I was her

How about as part of an engagement or wedding ring?

One more thing ... They seem to put a lot of dialogue on things that they never actually show..... them going to "its a small world"(or something)..... Penny Leonard going to a beach .... Raj's BMW ...... Amy's monkeys.....

It would be nice if they would go out and show some of these things in real...... I mean they earn a lot of money right...

It was pretty good. I liked it better than last weeks.

Penny was amazing in this one. It's so great to see her caring side once more. There were a couple of repeat jokes. Another wet t-shirt joke from Penny. And another monkeys went to space joke, from Sheldon.

The best scene for me was when Sheldon went with Penny at the grocery store. It flowed so beautifully. Wow those two rock.

The kiss between Leonard and Penny was really sweet.

And Raj losing his mutism! What a big moment. :icon_cool::icon_cheesygrin: He's been using alcohol to talk to girls since 1.08. Not many funny moments in this but I laughed when Raj was talking and Amy said "Does he ever shut up?"

Edited by Moonbase

Copying my episode post from the other forum... :)

I loved the episode and think that it was a great finale for a season full of personal progressions for everyone.

We've seen so much growth in terms of relationships, self-awareness, pulling together, personal triumphs or failures (or perceived failures), etc., over the season that this episode struck me as being particularly fitting.

There was talk about the group being like a family, about wishing each other well, about not letting jealousy overshadow friendship, about wanting to include everyone, about fears and overcoming fear.

There were a lot of little things to love and some big things, too.

I loved Sheldon and Leonard's knowing discussion in the car, with Sheldon not really refuting Leonard's assertion that Sheldon was a little afraid to be alone. He kind of denied it, but only in the context of comparing it to fear of being alone on a boat (because of all the drowning. grin.gif ) I love Leonard calling him on the mixture of concern and selfishness and Sheldon kind of acknowledging that he was trying to discourage Leonard with all his talk of drowning and sharks and relationship issues.

And then with Leonard and Penny, again, the easy banter where she acknowledges her lack of understanding of science, but her genuine desire for him to have such a great opportunity, and Leonard acknowledging that he has a better chance of messing up their relationship if he were there, but both of them being able to laugh over such things. And somehow I like that they have Penny genuinely laugh at Leonard's joke about flushing Sheldon. tongue.gif

While I still feel that the Lucy character seemingly hasn't been given enough depth to be able to hold her own among the gang, I do think that it could be interesting to see how things might play out if she were to return. Maybe Raj's newfound sense of confidence will help him be better able to find an even keel with women in general. I would kind of like it if he were to have some time to try to date other women, assuredly with mixed results, and then have him and Lucy run into each other. He'd have to decide if it's worth it to try to see her again, now that he's less needy, perhaps. I could see it going either way--he wants her back, or he rejects her for dumping him. Dunno.

Anyway, I loved Raj's breakdown scene--I really felt so bad for him. Although all the other guys have had their moments of self-doubt about their love-worthiness (well, maybe Sheldon barely felt that... tongue.gif ), I think his was the most heartbreaking and real. In that first moment with Penny, before he realized that he was talking without alcohol, I felt that Kunal was really crying, or on the verge of real tears, rather than the kind of fakey "comedy crying" that they usually use on the show. The crying he did a moment later was that kind of comedy crying, but that first moment was so real and sad. Poor Raj!! bawl.gif

I loved the party scene--and yes, I caught that big smiley laughing moment there in the back between Jim, Kaley and Mayim. For a moment I thought maybe one could argue Sheldon was practicing his "toothpaste commercial smile", but it really did look like Jim laughing in an off-guard moment. wink.gif

And I loved Howard's little "I went to space" digs. Very cute and kind of sassy of him. But I loved Sheldon's "Monkeys went to space!" comment at the end of that scene.
And can I just gush about Sheldon's pretty mint-green shirt? So gorgeous. And Amy was for once not dressed like that old lady from Laugh-In. Pretty dress, no frumpy cardigan.

I also loved the discussion at the previous dinner about who should meet Lucy. And Amy's comments I think were kind of thematic for the finale and for the season.

So many great little details. I loved the mutual ILYs in the car and Sheldon squirming like a 10-yr-old in the back.

I have gone on and on and I probably could continue to do it. smile.gif

LOVED IT!
  • Like 2

...And who does goodbyes and hugs while sitting in a car... I mean come on....

I and my wife have several times. I was being dropped off at the airport and wouldn't see her for six months. We did all our major goodbyes the week, day, and hours before leaving for the airport, why have an extended wait at the airport. I preferred to spend the time at home. At the airport it was hugs, kisses, and I love yous in the car and then I got out, grabbed my two pieces of luggage from the backseat, waved at my wife as she drove off. I'm not sure why you think that strange.

• Like 1

Now that Leonard's gone the Shenny fans are probably saying 'At last they will be together!'. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!!!!!  GET A LIFE! In Buffy the Buffy/Xander fans at least had a reason for hope, because Buffy was always saying she wanted a nice normal guy who'd stick around after finding out the truth, and Xander was there and fit the bill. However at no time has Penny said she wants a selfish, crazy, control freak with the maturity of a six year old to complete her life

• Like 2

One more thing ... They seem to put a lot of dialogue on things that they never actually show..... them going to "its a small world"(or something)..... Penny Leonard going to a beach .... Raj's BMW ...... Amy's monkeys.....

It would be nice if they would go out and show some of these things in real...... I mean they earn a lot of money right...

I agree it'd be nice if we could see more of their lifes. Only problem is it's a 20 minute show covering at least a weeks worth of life for 7+ people. Even if they did 6 spin offs to cover each person's life in detail, it would still not be enough, or would get tiresome in it's detail.

Edited by eirwinrommel

@phantagrae, I think Lucy used up her magic powers under the rule of three.

l so enjoyed the little eye dialogue (?) between Leonard and Penny in the split second after Bernadette suggested marriage. A flash of wary hopefulness from Leonard and regretful acknowledgement of "not quite yet" from Penny. Such strong rapport between the actors.

And talk about symmetry....

s4.24 Penny: Really? Still can’t talk to me?

s6.24 Penny: You're talking to me!

The episode was not grandiose, but I found it very gratifying.

• Like 2

@phantagrae, I think Lucy used up her magic powers under the rule of three.

l so enjoyed the little eye dialogue (?) between Leonard and Penny in the split second after Bernadette suggested marriage. A flash of wary hopefulness from Leonard and regretful acknowledgement of "not quite yet" from Penny. Such strong rapport between the actors.

And talk about symmetry....

s4.24 Penny: Really? Still can’t talk to me?

s6.24 Penny: You're talking to me!

The episode was not grandiose, but I found it very gratifying.

There's even more symmetry:

Season 1, episode 8 Raj found out he can talk to women if drunk because Penny made him a Grasshopper. His big advances in talking to women all involve Penny.

If Raj is truly cured, I'm not sure he'd really want to go back to Lucy. He has access to a much wider range of women, women who haven't dumped him.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

This is a repost of the ratings numbers in "TBBT hits new all time high" thread. But since it relates to this episode, here is the data.<br /><br />For the series six finale, TBBT got a 4.8 in the demo with 15.5 million viewers. The is down a tenth in demo and down 800,000 viewers. However, this years finale was up four tenths (4.8 - 4.4) and 1.7 million viewers. (15.5 - 13.7). I think the numbers will go up (in a larger number than usual) with the DVR viewing included as Idol picked it's champion and "The Office" was running a retrospective leading to it's series finale, so there are probably viewers who were watching other things, and DVRd TBBT. Idol was in second place with a 3.6 demo and 14.3 million viewers. Idol's numbers are for the entire 2 hours, but during the common half-hour with TBBT, Idol only had a 2.8 demo. In third place, for the night, was a REPEAT of TBBT(The Re-entry Minimization)which had a 3.2 demo and 11.4 million viewers (it tied with Scandal in the demo, but no other show (after the top three) broke 10 million viewers.<br /><br />One interesting thing is that TBBT increase four tenths in the demo and 700,000 viewers over the fast nationals. The fast nationals are released around noon (EST) each day. These are from the People meters sample. The final ratings, released around 4 PM (EST), include adjustments to correct for various things that cause the fast nationals to be high or low. Most shows increase (or decrease) one or usually, at most, two tenths(this does not apply when show are pre-empted in one time zone and not another as those changes can be large. A four tenth increase is unusual, although TBBT has been unusual in that it consistently increases by three tenths.

• Like 1

I and my wife have several times. I was being dropped off at the airport and wouldn't see her for six months. We did all our major goodbyes the week, day, and hours before leaving for the airport, why have an extended wait at the airport. I preferred to spend the time at home. At the airport it was hugs, kisses, and I love yous in the car and then I got out, grabbed my two pieces of luggage from the backseat, waved at my wife as she drove off. I'm not sure why you think that strange.

I think the variable is the price/availability of airport parking. Here they gouge, so " drop and run" makes sense to me. Small regionals, not the same problem. Idk what its like where Vasu lives.

did anyone remark how selfless Penny was in this. She gave her support 100%. No reservations. No making allowances, just backing up her bloke. GAVE him what he needed. Very nice. (sorry @clover).

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

I think the variable is the price/availability of airport parking. Here they gouge, so " drop and run" makes sense to me. Small regionals, not the same problem.

Yeah, that's a good point. Although I tend to try and spend the least amount of time I can in airports, so even if the flight is out of our regional airport, it's still drop and go.

Edited by Tensor

I loved the party scene--and yes, I caught that big smiley laughing moment there in the back between Jim, Kaley and Mayim. For a moment I thought maybe one could argue Sheldon was practicing his "toothpaste commercial smile", but it really did look like Jim laughing in an off-guard moment.

I was just about to point this out, Phanta did it first. :) It looked like Jim smiling and joking with Kaley, but (to be fair) I suppose it was meant to be Sheldon practicing his congratulatory smile. Which, by the way, is a lot less creepy now than it was back in season 1.. progress. :D

I thought it was a very sweet episode. I was touched by the Leonard/Penny scenes - Penny was great, and so mature and giving. I loved their little exchanged glances of affection and understanding, and it's so clear that (as Kaley keeps saying) they're in a good place right now. I don't think it's true that we saw too little emotion from Penny's side about Leonard leaving - she seemed to be holding it in so that she could encourage him to go. A bit of her feeling came out when she told Raj that she's missing Leonard.

I had started developing a soft corner for Raj/Lucy, so I do feel a little sad at their breaking up. Of course Raj was pushing too hard, and he had it coming; on the other hand, Kunal's performance in the last scene in his apartment was so real that I teared up a little. And his subsequent endless chattering, over the credits, was the perfect sign-off. :)

Favorite comedic moments? Sheldon/Penny in the store (they played off each other wonderfully as always), the scene where they try to decide who would meet Lucy (Howard's, Penny's and Bernadette's reactions), and Raj/Lucy/Amy together. The way Raj and Amy looked at Lucy was so droll; Amy's expression of dispassionate analysis cracked me up. :D

Sheldon was archetypal childlike, irritating Sheldon in this one; and I'm okay with seeing that sometimes, though it did feel like a tiny bit of a letdown after the tremendous emotional growth we saw last week. But it's good to be reminded that some things never change. I'm glad he could at least be gracious enough to do the right thing with congratulating Leonard. I do wish we had got a little more hint that Sheldon's protests were also because he'll miss Leonard, and not just because of his jealousy.

The farewell scene was beautiful, even with Sheldon losing it in the backseat. :)

I loved Amy's comment about being accepted like family by the group, and Penny's expression afterwards. :wub:

Last but not the least.. 'aren't they afraid he'll roll off the boat?' is my line of the week. I can picture Prof. Hawking laughing to that. :icon_mrgreen:

Edited by Pomita
  • Like 2

Probably because I always thought that people in love(who are about to spend an extended period of time apart) will try to cling on to each other for every possible moment before the other leaves... (I know its cheesy :p)

And normally people go to the airport atleast 1-2 hours before to be safe...and Leonard , Sheldon seem that type ....although Penny might be late ;) .....

Anyway another parallel between your life and L\P :) .....

Probably because I always thought that people in love(who are about to spend an extended period of time apart) will try to cling on to each other for every possible moment before the other leaves... (I know its cheesy :p)

And normally people go to the airport atleast 1-2 hours before to be safe...and Leonard , Sheldon seem that type ....although Penny might be late ;) .....

Anyway another parallel between your life and L\P :) .....

Sometimes it's easier on the heart to say goodbye and go, rip the bandaid off in one movement.

Besides most of the early arrival time at the airport gets spent standing in line to check your bags and/or stand in line to go through security.  They would have had to say goodbye at the security gate anyway, since only ticketed passengers are allowed past security.  What's the point?  It's more private (usually) to say your goodbyes in the car.

Penny has been really unikable for me these past few episodes, but this episode redeemed her in my eyes. It's nice to be reminded how much she actually cares for these guys. I mean,her moment comforting Raj just radiated warmth and love.

I love "Mama" Penny and I hope we get to see more of that side of her next season.

• Like 2

I was looking back at some previous season ratings (I know, I need a life) and found this bit: Last night, TBBT became the first show to beat an Idol results show where the Champion was announced (or call it an Idol season finale).

This is a continuation of, and the logical conclusion to, last year when TBBT became the first show to beat Idol on a regular basis, since Idol's first season.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 6

It was an interesting episode. Glad they got rid of the selective mutism. It has long been coming. I expect they will reunite Raj and his now estranged girlfriend.