89 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

I guess I should have said nothing about Amy and Sheldon, as it distracted from my point. Life is good for Leonard on a personal and professional level. At least professionally, Sheldon wants what Leonard has. 

I guess I should have said nothing about Amy and Sheldon, as it distracted from my point. Life is good for Leonard on a personal and professional level. At least professionally, Sheldon wants what Leonard has. 

That that much sums all of it. But I think this would change after the episode. :p I guess from what I know.

Shutting up now.

I hope Sheldon is there to help with the bags. That would be nice.

And having "Shelboy" in the back set deliberately detunes or diffuses the emotional intensity, because LEONARD IS COMING BACK AND PENNY WILL BE WAITING FOR HIM. it's not like its a cliffhanger. So we can afford to have a little bathos. (Hope I'm using that right, I come here to learn)

- And then they can have a trip to somewhere hot, and Penny can get value from her new bikini.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

And having "Shelboy" in the back set deliberately detunes or diffuses the emotional intensity, because LEONARD IS COMING BACK AND PENNY WILL BE WAITING FOR HIM. it's not like its a cliffhanger. So we can afford to have a little bathos. (Hope I'm using that right, I come here to learn)

Well, you used it correctly, but the word is pathos, not bathos.

Bathos

Bathos (Greek βάθος, meaning depth) is an abrupt transition in style from the exalted to the commonplace, producing a ludicrous effect. While often unintended, bathos may be used deliberately to produce a humorous effect.[1] If bathos is overt, it may be described as Burlesque or mock-heroic. It should not be confused with pathos, a mode of persuasion within the discipline of rhetoric, intended to arouse emotions of sympathy and pity

via Wikipedia, so I might be wrong

... Someone used it here once, as bathetic vs pathetic

maybe my attempt was pathetic. Lol

I got it as pathos, which was also valid for the place used. After all, the Leonard and Penny goodbye scene would arouse emotions. I just thought it was a typo, but your word works also.

Lol. Good, cos I was ready to go to war over b v p. I hope you open your eggs at the right end too (mr swift refers; not Tom, the other one).

I haven't seen the previews (don't want to) but I hope Leonard gets nominated for, and next season receives, a Nobel prize. 

Six years of Sheldon insulting Leonard's work deserves an epic EPIC payback!

I haven't seen the previews (don't want to) but I hope Leonard gets nominated for, and next season receives, a Nobel prize. 

Six years of Sheldon insulting Leonard's work deserves an epic EPIC payback!

I don't know that either of them has done anything worthy of a Nobel prize.

While it's a lovely lifetime goal, it's not something either of them is going to be achieving anytime soon.

• Like 1

I don't know that either of them has done anything worthy of a Nobel prize.

While it's a lovely lifetime goal, it's not something either of them is going to be achieving anytime soon.

The problem is that Leonard is on the lower end of the team that is doing the work. Nobels are split, at most, to three contributors. The theoretical foundation is Hawking's and he would get the Nobel for it on the theoretical side. as a point of interest, Hawking does not have a Nobel prize. His contributions have all been on the theoretical side, and have not been confirmed by experiment. Nobel prizes are given for theoretical stuff that's been experimentally confirmed or the ideas for the experiments themselves.

• Like 2

The problem is that Leonard is on the lower end of the team that is doing the work. Nobels are split, at most, to three contributors. The theoretical foundation is Hawking's and he would get the Nobel for it on the theoretical side. as a point of interest, Hawking does not have a Nobel prize. His contributions have all been on the theoretical side, and have not been confirmed by experiment. Nobel prizes are given for theoretical stuff that's been experimentally confirmed or the ideas for the experiments themselves.

Thanks--that's what I was trying to get at.  But I didn't know the details and didn't want to try to explain that aspect.  I know Pomita or koops had talked about how it usually takes many years because one's theories have to be confirmed, etc.

Yes, even if Leonard were leading the research there's no way he would come back with a Nobel prize from his expedition or even get it within the next season. Realistically speaking there's no chance for any of the characters to get a Nobel during the show unless it's a flashforward. However they might suspend disbelief to have someone win by the season finale (which I would still find extremely absurd, but I know some people would like to see it). But I doubt they would stretch the suspension of disbelief so far as to have Leonard win one over a summer.

Well, they could use the example of Yang and Lee with weak parity. They won the1958? Prize for a paper the published in 1956, I think. Although those types of discoveries have gotten harder with the completion of the standard model and the energies required to make discoveries.

Thanks--that's what I was trying to get at.  But I didn't know the details and didn't want to try to explain that aspect.  I know Pomita or koops had talked about how it usually takes many years because one's theories have to be confirmed, etc.

BTW, that explanation of what the equation meant was as simple as I could make it, and still get the idea of what R was.

• Like 1

Well, they could use the example of Yang and Lee with weak parity. They won the1958? Prize for a paper the published in 1956, I think. Although those types of discoveries have gotten harder with the completion of the standard model and the energies required to make discoveries.

I didn't know about that one, that is indeed a very quick one. I could see them pulling something like that to have someone win during the show's run, although it would be stretching it still. I think the flashforward would be pretty cool.

I didn't know about that one, that is indeed a very quick one. I could see them pulling something like that to have someone win during the show's run, although it would be stretching it still. I think the flashforward would be pretty cool.

It was a case of those two predicting that parity was not conserved. Of course, most thought that was ridiculous, so it was quite a shock when the experiments found exactly that the very next year. The paper and experiments led to the electro-weak theory(to explain the parity violation) which now will produce another Nobel for Peter Higgs, if he can stay alive long enough to pick it up.

• Like 1

It's true that Nobels usually go to scientists with a lifetime of work, and years after their major contribution (Yang and Lee were an exception, as Tensor says). And realistically it's highly unlikely for a string theorist to win a Nobel any time in the near future, since the energy scales are currently impossible to reach. Which is why I've been musing on whether Sheldon can win a Milner award in a flash-forward (I know it probably won't happen, since most people haven't heard of the Milner).

Oh dear… What will happen to Sheldon, if his dream of willing the Nobel is impossible? :wacko:

BDfn5MGCQAAzdHM.jpg

Well, who knows! Higgs will probably get one, so maybe with advances in technology that might accelerate experimental work etc. it might be possible for theoretical physicists to start winning Nobels too. Sheldon will just probably be very old when he gets it :p

Or, like I said before, I think it'd be hilarious to see him accidentally win a Nobel in another field.

Well, who knows! Higgs will probably get one, so maybe with advances in technology that might accelerate experimental work etc. it might be possible for theoretical physicists to start winning Nobels too. Sheldon will just probably be very old when he gets it :p

Or, like I said before, I think it'd be hilarious to see him accidentally win a Nobel in another field.

Yeah or he could invent something by accident.

Or he creates the Dogapuss. :icon_cheesygrin:

Remember, though, that TBBT doesn't always stick to realism--which I don't personally mind.  The tenure process wasn't depicted realistically, at least not according to the places I've worked and attended.  Without being bound by real world rules, anything can happen.  Maybe S and L could build on their paper from The Cooper-Hofstadter Polarization and win an award together. 

• Like 1

Or he creates the Dogapuss. :icon_cheesygrin:

That, I would like to see in a flash forward.

Yes! The Cooper-Hofstadter collaboration is sort of thing where theory and experiment are published together is the quickest way to a Nobel. The double helix is an example, and it took about a decade for the Nobel. The Raman effect and Mossbauer spectroscopy are two others. Theoretical work on its own doesn't fare too well. It would be sweet to see them get it together. With a few years of Amy's coaching, Sheldon could probably even be gracious at the awards ceremony. It could be a fitting flashforward in the show finale. Leonard and Penny, and Sheldon and Amy - with their kids!

Edited by hamerman55
  • Like 1

Well Leonard gets a major professional boost.Looks like all the characters except the failed "actress" / waitress are doing great in their careers.