The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Moonbase

Critical Thinkers Chat

Do you sometimes wish you could discuss the changes on this show, with other liked minded individuals, who enjoy critical thinking?

A chat session for members who want to talk about anything that urks them.

Character arcs.

The shows direction, how it is or isn't being shaped.

Alternative ships.

All 'dissenters' welcome.

If you are interested, please PM me or post here. If there is a call for it, I will arrange a time and place off site.

Edited by Moonbase

Do you only want "dissenters" joining in? While I would hardly call myself a dissenter (I'm more in the middle, still enjoying the show while disagreeing with certain aspects of it), I'm quite interested in reading other people's opinions of the show this season.

• Like 1

Do you only want "dissenters" joining in? While I would hardly call myself a dissenter (I'm more in the middle, still enjoying the show while disagreeing with certain aspects of it), I'm quite interested in reading other people's opinions of the show this season.

Not necessarily it's just for anyone who has something they want to get off their chest. There may be a thread or two about season 6 at some point. The chat idea was just to gauge if anyone wanted a virtual scream every now and then. :icon_cheesygrin:

I need a virtual scream about some details in the show, but I want to scream in the place I think is for that. If  something disgust me about a specific episode I think the place for saying it is the threat about that episode. Even if others spend their time writing long speechs about "the principal part" of that episode but, I think we all have the right to say what we feel in that episode and not to follow others speechs and nothing more. Some of us will feel something different and we have the right to express ourselves. If that disturb others, bad luck for them. We don´t need another place for saying the things that "bore them" Sometimes I feel boring too with some topics they are writing in their post. But I never insult/shout/stop them for that. If I am not interested then I don´t read/reply and nothing more. Everybody has the right to say what they want.

Someone said we are the minority. I don´t know if we are the minority or dissenters. I am sure all of us love TBBT otherwise we will stop to watch it and post here. If we are here is because we too are fan of this show. This is our site too.

• Like 1

I must admit, I'm a dissenter. I absolutely loved seasons 1-3 and probably would have at least liked season 4 if it weren't for Priya. I hate (yes HATE) seasons 5 & 6. I'm actually at the point where I no longer watch new episodes. I never really thought about it like this, but I guess, if pressed I'd have to say that I no longer like TBBT... And that makes me sad.

I must admit, I'm a dissenter. I absolutely loved seasons 1-3 and probably would have at least liked season 4 if it weren't for Priya. I hate (yes HATE) seasons 5 & 6. I'm actually at the point where I no longer watch new episodes. I never really thought about it like this, but I guess, if pressed I'd have to say that I no longer like TBBT... And that makes me sad.

You're at the next level, I'm starting to get there. When I first joined these forums I was all sunshine and rainbows. Look at me now! :icon_lol:

I used the word Dissenter, because I thought it was funny to self label. Truth is, I'm just an ordinary TBBT fan. I don't ship and I want the show to be funny. That makes me a dissenter here but in the outside world it just makes me normal.

I'm not much of a chatter. I like to take my time and plan my posts for maximum effect.   

:icon_evil:

I have to agree. :icon_cry: The show is just not funny anymore.

This might explain some of what goes on here on the forum. I won't post it in a more viewed thread, I fear for my gonads.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/01/hitchens200701

Edited by Disgusted

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I don't even bother to post on this forum anymore, for many reasons, although i still lurk every once in a while.
The title of this thread seemed attractive enough for me to click on and oh what a nice surprise (or should I say funny?)

First, it is a bit worrysome (at least to me) that there seems to be a confusion between what the term "critical thinker" actually means. For the looks of it, it seems that such term has been mistaken by the concept of merely "criticizing", and in some cases, mainly "complaining" (which, again, is NOT the same as criticizing".

Second, the term "critical thinking" directly conflicts with the call to discuss things only with "likely minded" individuals. how can there be any "critical thinking" if everybody thinks the same way and has the same opinion?.

Third, I think it is in a way funny the way that "dissenters" talk about the Shamy fans, like they are the devil or something. Really, are you so scared? LOL. I came to the forum, waaay back in the day, when the Forum was dominated by the people who was hating the show, hating the new additions, hating Chuck Lorre, hating absolutely everything (Season 4). Everytime (myself included) someone posted something like, for example "hey, that was a nice episode" we would blasted with endless replies of "you must be a moron", "go buy yourself a sense of humour", and don't even get me started on the times I was called "surely a fat cow, because only fat cows only love AFF", "spinster harpy", etc, etc etc (some of those persist today, everyonce in a while). And now, the situation has turned around (because Karma is a bitch), when a lot more people who like the show post, and the situation is turned around (although to be honest, no one has been as rude to you guys as some people has been before, just an FYI) there is all this complaining and crying and acting like the Shamies are hitting your mother or something.. sorry, but it's kind of childish.

Fourth, @Disgusted, I like you, despite your racist posts (I am never forgetting that post you directed at Pom) and your sexist posts (this link you just posted, for example). But really, if you won't post in the threads that have large post counts because "you fear for your gonads" then maybe it is because you think they are really so weak and soft and worthless that a couple of opinions from people who don't think the way you do might hurt them. Maybe you should talk about that with your shrink.

I guess my message is, now that I'm mostly an outside observer is: Why the differentiation? Isn't a forum's main objective the discussion of ideas? Why don't you all just agree to disagree and post your opinions and have nice conversations? All you need to do (both sides) is stop the name calling and having an open mind. And not let other's people's opinions/likes/dislikes cloud your enjoyment (or not) of the show.

And with that, I'm gone don't know for how long, but I wanted to say that.

Bye, I miss you all, enjoy (or enjoy not enjoying for some, I guess). JUST DON'T BE DICKS ABOUT IT. (again, that's for both ends)

Edited by Sursonica
  • Like 4

Miss you Yani! This fat cow met more fat cows but we lack another fat cow named Yanina.

Edited by rubyanjel

Fourth, @Disgusted, I like you, despite your racist posts (I am never forgetting that post you directed at Pom) and your sexist posts (this link you just posted, for example). But really, if you won't post in the threads that have large post counts because "you fear for your gonads" then maybe it is because you think they are really so weak and soft and worthless that a couple of opinions from people who don't think the way you do might hurt them. Maybe you should talk about that with your shrink.

I guess racism is in the eye of the beholder. It is a fact that there are a lot of poor people in India.  I was wrong  :icon_rolleyes:     to have pointed it out. 

Did you even read the article, or just the title. Some "sexist" quotes:

"Wit, after all, is the unfailing symptom of intelligence. Men will laugh at almost anything, often precisely because it is—or they are—extremely stupid."

"Men obviously like gross stuff," says Fran Lebowitz. "Why? Because it's childish."

"So you could argue that when men get together to be funny and do not expect women to be there, or in on the joke, they are really playing truant and implicitly conceding who is really the boss."

As they say over at the Lollipop Guild: "I have never called anyone a fat cow, I swear to cow."

I don't have a shrink, the voices in my head keep me straight...........

madnessdemotivator.jpg

Moonbase, sorry this got sidetracked, I think you have a good idea, but venting is more properly done in a pub, as opposed to a chat room. :icon_wink:

Edited by Disgusted

Guest I'm not dead Cheryl

I guess racism is in the eye of the beholder. It is a fact that there are a lot of poor people in India.  I was wrong  :icon_rolleyes:     to have pointed it out. 

Did you even read the article, or just the title. Some "sexist" quotes:

"Wit, after all, is the unfailing symptom of intelligence. Men will laugh at almost anything, often precisely because it is—or they are—extremely stupid."

"Men obviously like gross stuff," says Fran Lebowitz. "Why? Because it's childish."

"So you could argue that when men get together to be funny and do not expect women to be there, or in on the joke, they are really playing truant and implicitly conceding who is really the boss."

As they say over at the Lollipop Guild: "I have never called anyone a fat cow, I swear to cow."

I don't have a shrink, the voices in my head keep me straight...........

madnessdemotivator.jpg

Moonbase, sorry this got sidetracked, I think you have a good idea, but venting is more properly done in a pub, as opposed to a chat room. :icon_wink:

I did read the article. The article on itself is not misoginist, is true. But it is sexist in the way that says that "men are more stupid therefore they laugh at more simple things". Sexism works both ways. Still, I don't agree with the article at all, as it implies that people who laugh easily is because they're stupid. I would invite you to a Mensa meeting on a Wednesday night, believe me, intelligence has nothing to do with one's sense of humour, just like being a woman or a man doesn't have anything to do with it either.

And I never said you called anyone a fat cow, I was talking about other people who called people fat cows.

If you ever go to the pub, then count me in :p if you want, of course :p

Edited by Sursonica

The funniest people I know are female. That's not to say I don't like mostly male comics but I just know a lot of funny women IRL. Lucky I guess.

I created this thread to find out if anyone wanted to join me in a chat session. This isn't the actual chat session, but it looks as if there's little call for it.

• Like 1

I need a virtual scream about some details in the show, but I want to scream in the place I think is for that. If  something disgust me about a specific episode I think the place for saying it is the thread about that episode. Even if others spend their time writing long speechs about "the principal part" of that episode but, I think we all have the right to say what we feel in that episode and not to follow others speeches and nothing more. Some of us will feel something different and we have the right to express ourselves. If that disturb others, it's their problem no mine.  We don´t need another place for saying the things that "bore them" Sometimes I feel bored too with some topics they are writing in their post. But I never insult/shout/stop them for that. If I am not interested then I don´t read/reply and nothing more. Everybody has the right to say what they want.

Someone said we are the minority. I don´t know if we are the minority or dissenters. I am sure all of us love TBBT otherwise we will stop to watch it and post here. If we are here is because we too are fan of this show. This is our site too.

You like to scream in a forum? Well use Big bold words in that thread or insert a rude video clip asserting what you feel and want to say make a statement there!

All forums are more like a silent movie... there is not sound Lissie :lol: You are an awesome and funny lady of a sort (caliente, caliente) :my:

Edited by wannamaker
  • Like 1

You're at the next level, I'm starting to get there. When I first joined these forums I was all sunshine and rainbows. Look at me now! :icon_lol:

I used the word Dissenter, because I thought it was funny to self label. Truth is, I'm just an ordinary TBBT fan. I don't ship and I want the show to be funny. That makes me a dissenter here but in the outside world it just makes me normal.

Yup. It's true of all forums. You either blindly worship every single aspect of whatever the forum is dedicated to, or you are somehow abnormal. :icon_rolleyes:  

It's sad, but all the shippers & sheep are oblivious to the fact that they are the ones who (outside of forums) are odd.

Edited by Anomaly

I don't even bother to post on this forum anymore, for many reasons, although i still lurk every once in a while.

The title of this thread seemed attractive enough for me to click on and oh what a nice surprise (or should I say funny?)

First, it is a bit worrysome (at least to me) that there seems to be a confusion between what the term "critical thinker" actually means. For the looks of it, it seems that such term has been mistaken by the concept of merely "criticizing", and in some cases, mainly "complaining" (which, again, is NOT the same as criticizing".

Second, the term "critical thinking" directly conflicts with the call to discuss things only with "likely minded" individuals. how can there be any "critical thinking" if everybody thinks the same way and has the same opinion?.

Third, I think it is in a way funny the way that "dissenters" talk about the Shamy fans, like they are the devil or something. Really, are you so scared? LOL. I came to the forum, waaay back in the day, when the Forum was dominated by the people who was hating the show, hating the new additions, hating Chuck Lorre, hating absolutely everything (Season 4). Everytime (myself included) someone posted something like, for example "hey, that was a nice episode" we would blasted with endless replies of "you must be a moron", "go buy yourself a sense of humour", and don't even get me started on the times I was called "surely a fat cow, because only fat cows only love AFF", "spinster harpy", etc, etc etc (some of those persist today, everyonce in a while). And now, the situation has turned around (because Karma is a bitch), when a lot more people who like the show post, and the situation is turned around (although to be honest, no one has been as rude to you guys as some people has been before, just an FYI) there is all this complaining and crying and acting like the Shamies are hitting your mother or something.. sorry, but it's kind of childish.

I guess my message is, now that I'm mostly an outside observer is: Why the differentiation? Isn't a forum's main objective the discussion of ideas? Why don't you all just agree to disagree and post your opinions and have nice conversations? All you need to do (both sides) is stop the name calling and having an open mind. And not let other's people's opinions/likes/dislikes cloud your enjoyment (or not) of the show.

And with that, I'm gone don't know for how long, but I wanted to say that.

Bye, I miss you all, enjoy (or enjoy not enjoying for some, I guess). JUST DON'T BE DICKS ABOUT IT. (again, that's for both ends)

Ah...the meaning of "dicks" please? because I translated it in google and.....

I feel really sad to know you were receiving those insults in the past. But I was not here and I never insult/stop nobody because of their opinions. So, I don´t accept others insult/stop me. I have the right to post what I think and I will not stop to do that. That situation looks like a dictatorship for me!! No matter from which side they are. If they stop freedom of people then they are dictators, can be haters, shamies, shannies lovers or whatever their names are.

By the way, I don´t hate the show, actually I love it. That is why some things in it put me sad sometimes :(

Edited by Lissie

You like to scream in a forum? Well use Big bold words in that thread or insert a rude video clip asserting what you feel and want to say make a statement there!

All forums are more like a silent movie... there is not sound Lissie :lol: You are an awesome and funny lady of a sort (caliente, caliente) :my:

Well, actually the expression "virtual scream" was said for Moonbase here and I liked it very much :) 

But I think that even if I write very big the people who is not interested to listen they will not reply me.

Yeah... tell me about it...everything is virtual in forums..that's is the trouble: no real faces...no real voices..

Little ants going everywhere talking to one another...hope one day internet will be 3 dimensions in 4D or something better than it is now.

Perhaps talking face to face would there be a better understanding? I try to be an optimist Lissie.

To repeat, this thread is not the chat. :icon_rolleyes:

I only used the words 'like minded' individuals to describe members who might want to partake in critical thinking. Something this forum lacks. NOT to suggest their opinions will be all the SAME as mine. :icon_mad:

@ Sursonica

BTW, when did someone call you a fat cow? Not on this forum, surely? I have seen a few unnecessary remarks but nothing that extreme.

Edited by Moonbase

Yup. It's true of all forums. You either blindly worship every single aspect of whatever the forum is dedicated to, or you are somehow abnormal. :icon_rolleyes:  

It's sad, but all the shippers & sheep are oblivious to the fact that they are the ones who (outside of forums) are odd.

I think this is what's leading to a lot of frustration. People are prevented from releasing minor disappointments and it just builds up. Most fans of the show don't care about ships as long as they have a good time watching.

Edited by Moonbase
  • Like 2

I think this is what's leading to a lot of frustration. People are prevented from releasing minor disappointments and it just builds up. Most fans of the show don't care about ships as long as they have a good time watching.

Forums like this one almost force a normal human being into taking a side on something that they normally would just be generally happy with all the way around. That's why, for the vast majority of the time I do spend here, I'm in the Games & Chat forums. I originally came here because I loved The Big Bang Theory... I've formed a few friendships & for the most part enjoy posting here. It's sad that some people's EXTREME views (yes shipping is extreme) have helped diminish my view of the show. It's true that I don't like the direction the show has taken, and that would be the case without all the shippers & sheep that are found here, but I probably would have been much more forgiving of the show's direction if it weren't for all the mindless extremists. And just for the record, I don't call them mindless because of their views or because I think they are stupid... I call them mindless because they are closed minded to anything except their own views. That. and for the most part, they just can't seem to comprehend that debate or having a different point of view is not whining.

Forums like this one almost force a normal human being into taking a side on something that they normally would just be generally happy with all the way around. That's why, for the vast majority of the time I do spend here, I'm in the Games & Chat forums. I originally came here because I loved The Big Bang Theory... I've formed a few friendships & for the most part enjoy posting here. It's sad that some people's EXTREME views (yes shipping is extreme) have helped diminish my view of the show. It's true that I don't like the direction the show has taken, and that would be the case without all the shippers & sheep that are found here, but I probably would have been much more forgiving of the show's direction if it weren't for all the mindless extremists. And just for the record, I don't call them mindless because of their views or because I think they are stupid... I call them mindless because they are closed minded to anything except their own views. That. and for the most part, they just can't seem to comprehend that debate or having a different point of view is not whining.

I AM HAPPY TO SEE I AM NOT ALONE IN MY THOUGHTS.

• Like 1

To repeat, this thread is not the chat. :icon_rolleyes:

Dear, this thread is not the chat but it became very interesting itself! Thanks for creating it :)