Super Nerds!

The opposite of Super Villians. Who are your favouite SUPER NERDS? And what was their contribution to humanity, and culture? (on a venn diagram there would be some overlap with 'the scientists thread', although less God vs Evolution debate; Believe whatever makes you happy!). I'm going for Charles Darwin, and Quentin Tarantino. Darwin sailed around the world in a glorified bath tub, to do his research, and then tested his ideas to the n th degree. You all know Quentin! This thread is to celebrate all the great nerds from a diverse range of activities!

Edited by gaqo

• 2 weeks later...

Allan Turing and Steven Morrissey('I think about life, and I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals')! 

Edited by gaqo

" It's a wave...it'a wave...it's a wave!!!

Now I've got a context. I'd say he thought the energy was flowing through the electrons, in a similar way that a wave flows through water. It's like on those Newton's cradles, if you have five balls(electrons), and you lift one, and let go, the three stay in the middle, and one pops off other side. Only it would be an increase in energy, being passed through the graphite. Any physicists please correct me, as it's only an interest these days. Jumped ship, into the arts! 

Edited by gaqo
  • Like 1

Darwin, of course.

And Martin Luther,

It's strange isn't it, if you say to most people 'revolutionary', they'd probably think of Che Guevara, or Baader/Meinhoff brigade. But Darwin's and Luther's ideas were more radical, and have had vastly greater impact. I've read 'The Origin of Species', Darwin was only interested in applying his enquiring scientific mind, and the main thing I took from it, other than marvelling at his insight and dedication, was 'that life will adapt to almost any environment'. That has two implications; we humans are only a small part of the whole life entity on this planet, and Life will be able to adapt to new planets, when we inevitably, over populate, and deplete the resources of Earth.  

Edited by gaqo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Oh I am glad someone here likes Andy Warhol :)

Do you reckon he was a super nerd?

Just watch footage of him. He was also an obsessive collector of mass culture objects. He obsessively experimented with printing techniques, filmaking techniques,etc. 'When I got my first television set, I stopped caring so much about having close relationships' (AW).

Not only Sheldon wishes to live long enough to become a robotSheldon machine

Andy In 1963, long before computers became part of our consciousness, before Kasparov lost to Deep Blue, before HAL took over the spaceship, Andy Warhol said, "I want to be a machine." Andy knew that machines were things to be feared, worshipped, admired and, therefore, emulated. His artwork was about people and ideas that were, more or less, generated by the machine: the media machine, the political machine, the printing press and the television, all iconic images that were powerful, not because they were complex, nuanced, interesting or even beautiful, but because they were relentless. Warhol's brilliance was in recognizing how deep the machine metaphor had embedded itself into our personal ambitions and our collective self-image.

• Like 1

Yes a machine life does seem to be the ideal metaphor for collective living! Woody Allen and Brian Eno. It's strange I can't think of any woman who is that nerdy. But in terms of characters they choose; Ellen Page and Natalie Portman.