The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SirKinoc

the magnetic north pole

hey again! i was wondering where the four are actually going, when they are having the three month trip to the Arctic in the last episode. Sometimes they are talking about the magnetic north pole, then about the Arctic, the North Pole.... I mean, the magnetic north pole is in the Antarctic near the South Pole. I don't care about the geographical differences of the differnt poles in the Arctic or Antarctic but the magnetic north pole has NOTHING to do with the North Pole. So isn't it curious that a sitcom based on science includes a mistake like this one??? Or maybe i'm getting something wrong... PS: Sorry for my English =)

o____O why in the name of issac newton would the magnetic north pole be in the SOUTH pole? o____o

I do agree that time to time (about 250.000 years) the magnetic pole of the earth (where the compass is pointing) invert from north to south and virse versa. But last time that happend was 750.000 years ago. And the north pole still is in the NORTH pole. Not exactly in the geografic north pole, but close enough to be NORTH xD

Here you can see a image that shows the geografic north pole (the huge white spot) and the way the magnetic pole of earth has been moving since 1831. if anything, the magnetic pole is CLOSER to the geografic one trough the years xD

Here the link for the wikipedia article. And if you don't trust wikepedia you should trust NASA at least.

Sorry to be such a Natzi, but the thing is that I'm studing this in high school xD As a matter of fact, I had a lecture about this at school last wednesday. Besides, I like the subject because of the whole Maya Prophecy stuff.

You english it's quite fine btw xD but then again, I'm no position to judge, since english isn't my mother language, and i'ts freaking 9:45 am here I live. I might have more gramar/spelling mistakes than you (if so, someone PLEASE correct me, because I'm having my freaking FCE monday) o.o But the content itself it's perfect, trust me xD

Thank you so far for what you wrote =)

"...the North Magnetic Pole is physically a magnetic field south pole" this is a quote of the wikipedia-article you linked above.... maybe it is really a language probleme on my side but your compass points with it's north side to the north, does it not? Ergo either your compass is wrong or the magnetic field of the earth ;) north never points to north but to south, right? maybe you now get my point

here is a picture of what i am talking ;)

yeah, probably all compasses of the earth are wrong õ.o yours point to south, so it must be the right one õ.o I give up

if i remember correctly the magnetic north pole is a physical south pole but it was already named north pole before they found out how magnetism works and it was to late to rename it

Thanks torak! @ Waffles~~~: What i wanted to say is, that your compass points north what means that there (where it is pointing) must be a magnetic south pole. Otherwise the laws of physics couldn't work^^

what? o.O ok, the magnetic north pole MUST have been in south pole at some time in the earth history. but now it's in north o.O why the hell would you keep calling magnetic SOUTH pole if it is in north? õ.o if from, like, 10 years from now the poles inverted again, then would be south pole. of course, if the pole inverted so suddenly, it would be like the earth hit the handbrake and started going reverse. you don't have to be a genius to image how would it be for a body spinning at 1300km/h if it suddenly stoped. everything atached to it (a.k.a. people and buildings and stuff) would suffer from the inevitably inertia xD besides, the magnetic field would be "shut down" for a few hours, just ultin the earth started to spin in it's 1300 km/h again. so yeah, hope you continue wrong for a few more mileniuns ok? please? I wanna go to NY befoe I die so... let's just keep north where it is now xD

Well i don't know what else to say...

maybe you read again what torak wrote...

But especially for you i now looked in the English Wikipedia. Check THIS article, please!

The real point is that the magnetic north pole is over the ocean at the moment (off the coast of Canada) and in an area which is subject to ice melting during the summer months. And the average temperature in that area during the summer is 32 degrees F/0 degress C. So will our heroes survive their foray into the Arctic? We'll see ... S

Here's the page from the Wiki with a few links which might be helpful. http://wiki.the-big-bang-theory.com/wiki/North_Pole

you just sounded like the guy at the end of every pokemon episode XDDDD and don't forget to add the global warming! it might be a little hotter while they're there xD

And we still not have discussed my original question^^ ok, discussed yes, but we havent come to a conclusion ;) I think that they are in the ANTArctic ;) there would be no problem AND the magnetic north pole :icon_cheesygrin:

Regardless of whether it's magnetic north or south in an electromagnetic sense (independent of geography), the magnetic pole that's located off the coast of Canada is called the North Magnetic Pole, and that's clearly where the guys were going (since they also referred to it as the North Pole). And regardless of how inexperienced they are with winterish stuff, e.g. snow, they certainly know enough about geography to know if they were going toward the north pole or the south pole. Steve

hey again!

I mean, the magnetic north pole is in the Antarctic near the South Pole. I don't care about the geographical differences of the differnt poles in the Arctic or Antarctic but the magnetic north pole has NOTHING to do with the North Pole.

Dear SirKinoc,

I have no knowledge of this matter but, I am wondering if you are stating that the physical properties of the "North" Pole of a magnetic body coincide with the properites of what we call the South Pole on this planet. Is this what you mean?

Thanks torak!

@ Waffles~~~: What i wanted to say is, that your compass points north what means that there (where it is pointing) must be a magnetic south pole. Otherwise the laws of physics couldn't work^^

The manufacturers of these compasses label the points N and S, in order to simply answer the question "which way is north". The labels refer to the direction they are pointing, not to the magnetic properties of the end of the needle. If they labelled the end pointing north as "South" reflecting the magnetic properties of that end of the needle, it would confuse the crap out of most people.

On the point of naming North and South, it reminded me that , as the mapmakers whose "worldview" achieved dominance came from the Northern Hemisphere, they placed the Northern Hemisphere on "top" of the Atlas. If they had come from the South, our accepted Atlas would probably look like the attachment. Wierd, huh? It's just a matter of perspective.

post-451-134808096542_thumb.jpg

yeah, cause it weren't dead before right...? -.- and it's freaking winter here, I'm freazing u.u got nothing to do exept to be on the internet u.u and I still got one week of classes ç___ç

@ smeghead: I don't think that it is a matter of perspective.... what i am saying is: NEAR the North Pole ("top of world") is a PHYSICAL MAGNETIC south pole. And i don't think, that anyone can deny that!? That is science-based...

@ smeghead:

I don't think that it is a matter of perspective....

what i am saying is: NEAR the North Pole ("top of world") is a PHYSICAL MAGNETIC south pole. And i don't think, that anyone can deny that!? That is science-based...

My map thing was totally seperate from the North pole question. It was just an afterthought. I was not disagreeing with you, just asking for clarification of your idea.

Hey guys, just to join your discussion about WHERE they actually are. We know they are going during the American, say Northern hemisphere, summer and we've seen their location from outside and it was bright day light. This clearly indicates that they are at the ARCTIC because it is dark for 24hour at this time of the year in the antarctic. :icon_lol: