The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaqo

Aliens!

I know that this is not specifically about aliens but I saw a video today where Gene Simmons of KISS talked about Tim Tebow.  He said he admired Tim Tebow for his beliefs and came down on sports reporters because they have defamed Tim in the past for his beliefs. (see link below)

Paraphrasing Gene, he said that if Tim was a Jew(which Gene is) or a Muslim that no one would say anything about it.  BUT because Tim believes in his God, in his Savior then he gets shredded. 

In light of any or practically every "religious" conversation here or elsewhere seems to end up with Christians getting bad mouthed because we believe in Christ - no matter what we say or what we do.  Boggles my mind.

http://youtu.be/N1vefIauuwc

There's definetely more chance of us finding life on other planets, than Jesus returning!

You will not be alone in believing that, but you will be in the minority. It's going to be a case of wait and see!

I think it's incredible, that humans have the arrogance to think there's us, and a God dedicated only to us. Considering how life flourishes on this planet in the most inhospitable places, I think it's a certainty, that life will exist elsewhere.

There are billions of people on the Earth that consider the arrogance of humans that do not creadit God with the creation that makes life flourish on Earth.

I think it's a certainty, that life will exist elsewhere.

You may think that, but it dosn't make it true.

And those aliens will not look any stranger than some of the bizarre life forms on ths planet. ! 

There are no aliens. It's all in your imagination.

One scientist, who looks for planets with an atmosphere(exhaled by life forms), claim we will find such a planet within the next ten years.

Even if there are millions of planets identical to earth that doesn't mean there will be life on them.

We start with audio contact, and invite them here, where we exchange something they need, for advanced technology. It is going to happen!

It's not going to happen!

Well I think they would obviously be as curious as we are. We can be very territorial, as are all species. We may have something in quantity, that they lack. I think we should be positive. Trading is also more beneficial than war. Stars and planets are dying, and new stars and planets are continually being formed. The constituents of that planet, inorganic, become organic by combining around something like a carbon atom. The planet has an organic outer layer, which when it gain sufficient intelligence and unity, can propagate itself across the cosmos. I think it's beneficial to have that aim as a species, rather than just over running this planet like ants.

Nice sci-fi imagination, but most of it has already been covered in fantasy.

None of your points, mean nothing, just silly little argument remarks. I can't believe humans can be this dumb to think there isn't life on other planets... It really makes me think why people like you think this and think there's a God lol -_- strange.

But I shall not nse, as it's the same from all God lovers... Argument remarks that mean nothing, just separating the salt from the water, bye Umm

Ummm the response of a sore loser. All my points are based on facts.

True, and that applies to you too.

It doesn't apply to the one who has the fundamental truth. Do you see a circular argument forming?

haha, nutter.

Yeap.... I was right... A sore loser!

Would anyone care to respond to the point I made about the claim of science regarding the start of life.

Science claims that life began with simple non living elements coming together in a slimy promordial soup to form simple living enzymes.

Yet.... they cannot replicate that simple process in the lab.... No matter hard they try. Why?

Any thoughts?

Well, If they have the technology to find us, they also have the technology to find what they want in a much more easier way than contacting us. The notion of trading is obviously not the easiest way. Don't fool youself, if they want something and are aggressive, we are screwed :)

That's what I meant by reaching a level of intelligence and unity. Applies to both human or alien species. I think it would require the combined effort of a planet, and to work together they would have to be able to live in peace(ie: space travellers would be peaceful and cooperative). A level we don't seem close to. It's ironic that the concept of One God was supposed to unify. Even when humans went into space they had to make it competetive. http://www.space.com/22777-voyager-1-records-sounds-from-interstellar-space-video.html

Edited by gaqo

That's what I meant by reaching a level of intelligence and unity. Applies to both human or alien species. I think it would require the combined effort of a planet, and to work together they would have to be able to live in peace(ie: space travellers would be peaceful and cooperative). A level we don't seem close to. It's ironic that the concept of One God was supposed to unify. Even when humans went into space they had to make it competetive. http://www.space.com/22777-voyager-1-records-sounds-from-interstellar-space-video.html

As you've stated, when humans went into space, "we" had to "make it competitive".

How far do we/they have to travel before it requires a "combined effort of a planet"?

Whenever "we" traveled to new lands "we" cared nothing about the natives that were already there.

This includes the Aztecs, American Indians, etc.

When a group of people think/look/act differently "we" think they are inferior.*

"We" have ALWAYS fought those who "we" consider different.

"We" go to war for no less of a reason then "we" want something that "others" have? 

Why would aliens (if they existed) think differently?

You also state that "we" don't live in a "level we don't seem close to" "live in peace (not that it will ever happen) with the concept of One GOD" .

IF we did "live in peace", that would be bad, WHY ???? 

* AS some people treat CHRISTians !

Edited by walnutcowboy

I think we as a species are changing. The fact that Russia and USA worked together over sarin use in Syria. I see moral teaching as part of that development, a stage humans as a species, go through. Being able to accept diversity, live peacefully, is part of that development. Hopefully with technology advancing geometrically, there will be a point where those two meet, and we can explore what is out there! I'm not sure why christians, or any other faith, care if there is life elsewhere. A religion which doesn't allow new ways of thinking, is stuck in the past!  

Would anyone care to respond to the point I made about the claim of science regarding the start of life.

Science claims that life began with simple non living elements coming together in a slimy promordial soup to form simple living enzymes.

Yet.... they cannot replicate that simple process in the lab.... No matter hard they try. Why?

Any thoughts?

I have plenty of thougths Cat, but you don't accept my truth and proof as to the age of the Earth and Universe I don't accept your truth and proofs for the same thing. As such, is there really any reason to discuss it and get each other worked up? I'd rather just ignore it, stay on good terms with you and discuss other things.

Edited by Tensor

The one thing that I don't quite understand is that with all these technological advances, are we any better as humans because of this?  If we all stuck to principles like 'love your neighbor as yourself' I could almost guarantee we would not be having all the problems we have today. 

Yes it's so much better that we don't have to be in the same country to be able to destroy each other.  We no longer have to be up close and personal to kill someone with a sword.  We all want peace and acceptance of diversity as long as person A agree with what person B believes and accepts what truths person B holds dear.

Somehow I really don't see technology helping out very much for the simple reason is that if there was no chemical weapons, then Russia and USA wouldn't have had to work together in respect to Syria...

I think we as a species are changing. The fact that Russia and USA worked together over sarin use in Syria. I see moral teaching as part of that development, a stage humans as a species, go through. Being able to accept diversity, live peacefully, is part of that development. Hopefully with technology advancing geometrically, there will be a point where those two meet, and we can explore what is out there! I'm not sure why christians, or any other faith, care if there is life elsewhere. A religion which doesn't allow new ways of thinking, is stuck in the past!  

"I'm not sure why" ANYONE would/should "care if there is life elsewhere" !!

IF there were aliens, and IF they had space travel, and IF they were to land here, I would hope/pray that they lived by 10 rules to live by (see, I didn't use the word Commandments).

That would give us a chance to be treated better than we treat ourselves, since "we" no longer can even find those 10 rules to live by in our schools, or even in the government.

I wouldn't mind being "stuck in the past" at a time when more people followed those rules !!

Your only truth is from a book, and apparently it's truth because it's words from the Holy Spirit. So don't go criticising what we believe as facts, because Science is much more than that. If we can't figure something out, we call it a theory, and most Science discoveries have hundreds of theories if they can't get proof/facts. - And for me, that's the best thing about Science. 

Your entire point and remarks is all the same, Because God says so? You turned this into a argument by disagreeing with everything I've tried to say into 'oh but God' and sarcastic remarks, instead of actually coming up with a proper debate on the marks pointed out. That's why I decided to stop it, because we'll just go around. Being ignorant isn't what your God would like, but I guess you can just go and (s)pray that off.

• Like 1

Your only truth is from a book, and apparently it's truth because it's words from the Holy Spirit. So don't go criticising what we believe as facts, because Science is much more than that. If we can't figure something out, we call it a theory, and most Science discoveries have hundreds of theories if they can't get proof/facts. - And for me, that's the best thing about Science. 

Your entire point and remarks is all the same, Because God says so? You turned this into a argument by disagreeing with everything I've tried to say into 'oh but God' and sarcastic remarks, instead of actually coming up with a proper debate on the marks pointed out. That's why I decided to stop it, because we'll just go around. Being ignorant isn't what your God would like, but I guess you can just go and (s)pray that off.

RICKIE,

I've been TRYING to keep my comments in this thread MOSTLY about aliens, but you keep drifting off point and talking about your opinions about GOD. And since you do I feel the need reply to your points.

Point Of The 1st) Yes I get my "Truth is from a book" and "it's Truth because it's the words" inspired by "the HOLY SPIRIT".

Please keep in mind that not only CHRISTians believe in the BIBLE !

Jews believe in the Old Testament as the Inspired word of GOD also.

Muslims believe in the Old Testament (at least parts". If you have any doubts about that, then find out who Abraham and Hagar kid turns out to be (HINT: it's Ishmael)!

Point Of The 2nd) I couldn't care less about what you "believe as facts"!!

But when you bring up GOD, I will reply to any/all comments in that regard.

Point Of The 3rd) If I've EVER been as rude or crude or as criticizing as you have been to me, then I'm sorry (But I can't recall any time in which I have been) !

Point Of The 4th) You state that if you "can't figure something out, we call it a theory" and "most Science discoveries have hundreds of theories" and you state "that that's the best thing about Science".

My theory (if you insist in calling that {and I won't object}) has only 2 sides.

Is there a GOD or not.

To me, at least, to choose a yes or no question is easier, than to choose "hundreds of theories" for each time you "cant figure something out !!

Point Of The 5th) In this debate I use your OWN words to disagree with you !

I'm trying to DEBATE with you but it's hard to when you seem to have "hundreds of theories" when you "can't figure something out", While I have but one "theory".

It seems to me that it's your own words that are coming off as being argumentive (sic) AND sarcastic.

Again IF I have been sarcastic, please see Point Of The 3rd !

Point Of The 6th) Please read the last dozen or so posts and check out WHO'S points are being ignored!!

Point Of The 7th) I hope you keep your word THIS TIME, you "decided to stop it" "because we'll just go around" !

IF you really mean it this, will be my last post to you about this subject !!

Point Of The 8th) I totally agree with you when you said "being ignorant isn't what" MY "GOD would like".

It's also true that it is not GOD's will that ANY should parish.

@ TRIPPER,

The last couple of posts will probably be deleted and I don't/won't blame you.

This is NOT what this thread is SUPPOSE to be about.

I just hope that if ANY posts are removed that ALL off topic posts will be removed, so none of the off topic posts remain !! 

FYI: VOYAGER is now out of "our" space.

For you Star Trek Fans...

I hope it doesn't come back as "VGER".

Edited by walnutcowboy

I have plenty of thougths Cat, but you don't accept my truth and proof as to the age of the Earth and Universe

Have you not been reading this thread? I've already stated in this thread that the Earth is billions of years old. So what are you on about?

The Earth is around 4 billion years old, with the universe around 14 billion years old. It may help it you read my posts before commenting!

Iis there really any reason to discuss it and get each other worked up? I'd rather just ignore it, stay on good terms with you and discuss other things.

Well if you are prone to getting worked up then you have no self control and probably a weak position.

I don't get worked up, and I have conviction in my position!

All I asked for was thoughts on the failure of science to replicate the process of nonlife elements to living enzymes in the lab. A process they claim is simple!

That's what I meant by reaching a level of intelligence and unity. Applies to both human or alien species.

The problem is that there are no alien species for that principle to apply to!

Ummm... Interesting. No body has any thougths on the beginning of life.

The problem for the mathematical probability that because there is life on Earth there must be life elsewhere is reduced to zero, because science does not know how life began even on Earth.

Boasters proclaim, "look at how life flourishes is all areas of Earth, so it must flourish eleswhere" have nothing to go on with regard to facts and proofs. All their ideas are nothing more than uninformed imagination based on theories without foundation!

Edited by Catweazle

Looking around on net it's great to see many scientists creating novel ways of finding inhabitable planets. One is even looking a photos of planets to see if he can see craft passing in front. Also good to see as governments restrict funds, private sponsors have helped. Science is the way forward for Humanity!http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jul/30/alien-life-search-nasa-kepler

• Like 1

Science is the way forward for Humanity!

Science is the revealing of the unknown. With regard to revealing life from non-life there is no science, only theories based on theory!

Looking around on net it's great to see many scientists creating novel ways of finding inhabitable planets. One is even looking a photos of planets to see if he can see craft passing in front. Also good to see as governments restrict funds, private sponsors have helped. Science is the way forward for Humanity!http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jul/30/alien-life-search-nasa-kepler

Thank you for that link.

Where near the bottom it talks about NOBEL PRIZE-WINNING PHYSICIST Enrico Fermi who said "If life is common in the Galaxy "WHERE IS EVERYBODY?"" 

To me, at least, it looks like

Humans 1

Aliens 0

Thank you for that link.

Where near the bottom it talks about NOBEL PRIZE-WINNING PHYSICIST Enrico Fermi who said "If life is common in the Galaxy "WHERE IS EVERYBODY?"" 

To me, at least, it looks like

Humans 1

Aliens 0

I believe there's life elsewhere, it's just that we don't have the technology to find it let alone reach it, we'll just have to wait for them to make contact with us first, or maybe there is life that can reach us but wont because they know what we're like, we'll either shoot them out the sky, or catch them and do experiments on them, it's in our nature, we cant just leave things be, our world seems to be very trigger happy. plus I don't think a lot of people would take the news of life elsewhere very well as they seem to think we are the only life in a universe that's so big, it's mind boggling.

I believe there's life elsewhere, it's just that we don't have the technology to find it let alone reach it, we'll just have to wait for them to make contact with us first, or maybe there is life that can reach us but wont because they know what we're like, we'll either shoot them out the sky, or catch them and do experiments on them, it's in our nature, we cant just leave things be, our world seems to be very trigger happy. plus I don't think a lot of people would take the news of life elsewhere very well as they seem to think we are the only life in a universe that's so big, it's mind boggling.

IF aliens did exist (which I don't believe), and IF they were able to get to earth, I believe they would be so far advanced, we wouldn't stand a chance.

PS if you get a chance, check out the movie ENDER'S GAME.

Coming out on 11-1-13.

If it'a anything like the book, it should be GREAT !!

I believe there's life elsewhere,

Your belief has no support, so it is a belief with no foundation.

it's just that we don't have the technology to find it let alone reach it,

There is no support that there is anything to find or reach.

we'll just have to wait for them to make contact with us first,

The is no support that there is anything to make contact with us.

or maybe there is life that can reach us but wont because they know what we're like, we'll either shoot them out the sky, or catch them and do experiments on them, it's in our nature, we cant just leave things be, our world seems to be very trigger happy.

You are in the realms of fantasy. Those imagining are nothing more than average typical sci-fi stories.

I don't think a lot of people would take the news of life elsewhere very well as they seem to think we are the only life in a universe that's so big,

Therefore most people are correct in their thinking, as there is no support for them to think othewise.

it's mind boggling.

What is mind boggling are the absurd claims of alien abductees, and the claims and beliefs of scientogy.

Your belief has no support, so it is a belief with no foundation.

There is no support that there is anything to find or reach.

The is no support that there is anything to make contact with us.

You are in the realms of fantasy. Those imagining are nothing more than average typical sci-fi stories.

Therefore most people are correct in their thinking, as there is no support for them to think othewise.

What is mind boggling are the absurd claims of alien abductees, and the claims and beliefs of scientogy.

and that's your opinion.

and that's your opinion.

Yes I think we got catweazle's opinion, ten pages ago! Closed minds, what can you do! Considering the name TBBT, and the work they do, maybe catweazle has got wrong thread and forum. To me it's like being on a boat looking for a new land. You need everyone to be positive and optimistic. Can we put him in a barrel with his bible, and throw him overboard? 

• Like 3