The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaqo

Aliens!

That programme really brings all the evidence together, but it's the stonework at Puma Punku that really convinces me. While I agree with the programme that ancient humans had the mental capacity, I don't believe they had developed the technological ability on their own. I've tried carving granite with modern tools, there is no way they did that unaided. I also think tribal people of that time had bigger concerns, like just surviving, to be investing all their time and energy on these projects around the planet, without exceptional reasons. And also as it points out, the belief in alien visitors is so prevalent across our cultures, as to make us believe as well. Thanks Funbus, very interesting.1327409542_Tiwanaku.jpg

• Like 1

no problem, I thought you'd find it interesting, I agree with you about  the stonework at Puma Punku, as they said in the program, nowadays we would need diamond tipped tools to cut and carve that stone, yet ancient humans managed it hundreds of years ago with primitive tools, I don't think so!, there's so much evidence all around the world of aliens, yet so many people choose not to see it.

Does anyone else watch Ancient Aliens on the History channel,  it's a very interesting series if you're into Aliens and UFO's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZRcBXGccgI

http://listverse.com/2011/02/21/top-10-mysteries-surrounding-ancient-aliens/

I'm assuming that this is the same channel that talked about mermaids?

I know at least on THAT episode, it had a disclaimer at the end letting those of us that read the disclaimers, that the episode was FICTION !!

OBTW, what about those giant drawings (the one that comes to mind was the giant ant) on the ground.

SOME people say it's for/about aliens.

While some of us think it might be the ancient people trying to talk to.....OOPs,...I almost broke my promise. 

Before I read those quotes by those scientists who work for the Vatican, I would have generalised, and believed the Catholic Church to be retrograde. No longer! It's as though some people are wearing some sort of 'blinkers', that stops them seeing the evidence.denial_quote.jpg

• Like 1

Before I read those quotes by those scientists who work for the Vatican, I would have generalised, and believed the Catholic Church to be retrograde. No longer! It's as though some people are wearing some sort of 'blinkers', that stops them seeing the evidence.

denial_quote.jpg

I too read post #347 ! 

And I couldn't agree more with your statement "it is though some people are wearing some sort of 'blinders' that stop them from seeing the evidence".

My point being that post # 347 doesn't SHOW any evidence, it only shows opinions !!

Edited by walnutcowboy

I too read post #347 ! 

And I couldn't agree more with your statement "it is though some people are wearing some sort of 'blinders' that stop them from seeing the evidence".

My point being that post # 347 doesn't SHOW any evidence, it only shows opinions !!

It's because they are so unequivocal that we presumed they had some evidence. The programme; links up lots of potential evidence, when taken as a whole. Some examples, can be explained differently. But I definetly believe that we will find life out there at some time. If aliens have been here, maybe they don't exist any more, who knows. What would it take to make you believe it's possible? 

• Like 1

It's because they are so unequivocal that we presumed they had some evidence. The programme; links up lots of potential evidence, when taken as a whole. Some examples, can be explained differently. But I definetly believe that we will find life out there at some time. If aliens have been here, maybe they don't exist any more, who knows. What would it take to make you believe it's possible? 

What would make me believe?

Hummmm...Well I've seen (on the internet) a picture of a coke can on the moon.

I've read books and have seen (again on the internet) pictures of aliens.

So I guess I'd have to have a Little Green Man or a Purple People Eater (after it's eaten) come up to me and say "HI" !

Keep in mind that after I saw "my" UFO, I did a LOT of reading on the subject.

There is a great amount of reading material on the subject (as I'm sure you all know).

But every time "they" talked about "PROOF" it still came down to their OPINIONS !  

If you reread any/all of my posts, I've always stated that "I don't believe" in aliens.

And since neither of us can PROVE (either pro or con) their existence, so it will always (until PROVEN otherwise) be considered opinion/belief !

Perhaps we both look at aliens as flips of a coin.

If you were to take a quarter (and NOT a 2 headed one) and flipped it 1,000 times, (I think) you believe at SOME point the odds of it coming up heads all 1,000 times is a done deal.

While I concede that the odds COULD show 1,000 heads given ALL OF TIME, I don't believe it would ever happen.  

Edited by walnutcowboy

I saw a lighthearted Family Guy episode the othe day where Brian and Stewie visit alternate universes. One of the universes was set at the same time, but the civilization had progressed beyond all recognition. The reason; the religious lobby hadn't impeded scientific development. There's a ring of truth to this. If we don't believe that extraterresrial life is possible, we won't look for it. People won't be convinced it's worth spending the money, just to find more minerals!  'Truth is a matter of the imagination', 'The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty: not knowing what comes next.'(Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness)   Here's a link to the Planetary Society  http://www.planetary.org/blogs/bruce-betts/20131003-our-improved-optical-search.html  for those who still believe!

• Like 1

I saw a lighthearted Family Guy episode the othe day where Brian and Stewie visit alternate universes. One of the universes was set at the same time, but the civilization had progressed beyond all recognition. The reason; the religious lobby hadn't impeded scientific development. There's a ring of truth to this. If we don't believe that extraterresrial life is possible, we won't look for it. People won't be convinced it's worth spending the money, just to find more minerals!  'Truth is a matter of the imagination', 'The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty: not knowing what comes next.'(Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness)   Here's a link to the Planetary Society  http://www.planetary.org/blogs/bruce-betts/20131003-our-improved-optical-search.html  for those who still believe!

I've seen that Family Guy episode, funny as always :)  interesting link you put up, sounds like an awesome bit of kit they've now got, I don't think it'll be long before they find something of interest, but even if they do, there's a lot of people that'll choose not to believe.

I found some great old footage of an alien, it's the best footage I've seen so far, most you can tell are plastic fakes or done using CGI, but this just seems real, also if this is a fake, it would've cost a lot of money and time to make, especially to make the forehead and eyes move the way they do. i'm expecting the usual people to say it's just a puppet, but this is for the people that really believe in aliens.

What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_jM-i0L5c4

Edited by funbus

@funbus I'm still trying to figure out if aliens visited us once, and were confused as angels! It does seem that humans have always believed that there are beings out there! Did visiting aliens get confused as gods? I think that last footage is interesting, but I'd definetly be more convinced if they weren't humanoid! One positive aspect of our search for extraterresrial life is the technology we develop. I heard a scientist say that the new generation of telescopes will have mirrors four times the size of present ones. And while governments have cut funding(blast those bankers and speculators), private donations like $25 million from Paul Allen(co founder of Microsoft, which hopefully also means any of us using their products), have helped. I've just been listening to an interesting discussion(part of radio3 Free Thinking), where they debate the impact of alien contact from a; theological,scientific,philosophical,ethical, viewpoint. They also mentioned such possibilities as nano probes travelling across the cosmos at close to light speed. It's an interesting area because like our imaginations, anything is possible as long as we are open minded!   http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nwdzm  

• Like 1

I've just listened to that broadcast, very interesting, as they said, the universe is to big for us to be the only living things in it.

• Like 1

I've just listened to that broadcast, very interesting, as they said, the universe is to big for us to be the only living things in it.

Just popping in to remind you that there is no proof of life beyond Earth.... no matter how big the universe is!! :read:

Just popping in to remind you that there is no proof of life beyond Earth.... no matter how big the universe is!! :read:

Thanks for that Catweazle, and I thought the Catholic Mafia had got you!  catweazle2.jpg

the only reason we don't have proof is because we cant get it, the planets are to far away for us to get to them, I believe there's life else where as we've found a number of planets that are similar to earth, they're roughly the same size as earth, have huge land mass and oceans just like earth, the life may not be intelligent, but it's life non the less.

what in your opinion makes you think that we are that special to be the only living thing amongst billions of stars and planets?

HEC_All_Confirmed_Gliese667C.jpg

Now they are talking about there being potentially 60 billion habitable planets in just the Milky Way. I suppose that as that number rises, then it becomes definite that at least one will have life on it! It seems the more they look, the more possible planets they find.  http://www.universetoday.com/103379/60-billion-habitable-planets-in-the-milky-way-alone-astronomers-say-yes/    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-61z3ZlFnpQ  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlGHoOo6jgg

Edited by gaqo
  • Like 1

the only reason we don't have proof is because we cant get it, the planets are to far away for us to get to them, I believe there's life else where as we've found a number of planets that are similar to earth, they're roughly the same size as earth, have huge land mass and oceans just like earth, the life may not be intelligent, but it's life non the less.

what in your opinion makes you think that we are that special to be the only living thing amongst billions of stars and planets?

I thought that the anti-aliens (UFO TYPE) in this site have already told you our opinions on the subject often enough !

Do we really, really have to explain it AGAIN ? 

But in your defense, why just think of planets like earth?

Why not start watching reruns of DOCTOR WHO?

You'll find DALEKS, CYBERMEN, and even the odd OOD !

Enjoy your fantasy !

And unless someone finds some kind of PROOF, that's all it can be called, fantasy !

Edited by walnutcowboy

I thought that the anti-aliens (UFO TYPE) in this site have already told you our opinions on the subject often enough !

Do we really, really have to explain it AGAIN ? 

But in your defense, why just think of planets like earth?

I don't recall any of you saying why you think that humans are so special that only we can exist, all I've read is, where's the proof, and it's all fantasy, it's like a broken record!

When i'm talking about planets that are like earth, i'm thinking that they can have life similar to ours on them, but after insects and plant life have been found in some of the most harsh environments on earth, there's no reason why some of the other planets cant have life of some sort on them as well.

Even if our government said, yes there is alien life in our solar system, there's millions of people like you that would still choose not to believe it, because you've completely closed your mind to the idea and wouldn't be able to handle the truth.

I myself cant wait for that time to come, and I don't think it will be that long before it happens.

Thanks for that Catweazle, and I thought the Catholic Mafia had got you!  catweazle2.jpg

No, they've not got me, I've been here watching you fantasise.

• Like 1

I don't recall any of you saying why you think that humans are so special that only we can exist, all I've read is, where's the proof, and it's all fantasy, it's like a broken record!

When i'm talking about planets that are like earth, i'm thinking that they can have life similar to ours on them, but after insects and plant life have been found in some of the most harsh environments on earth, there's no reason why some of the other planets cant have life of some sort on them as well.

Even if our government said, yes there is alien life in our solar system, there's millions of people like you that would still choose not to believe it, because you've completely closed your mind to the idea and wouldn't be able to handle the truth.

I myself cant wait for that time to come, and I don't think it will be that long before it happens.

Yes when the astronomer/scientist announces they discovered life elsewhere in the cosmos, it will be a momentous day. They'll get the Nobel prize, and no doubt a planet, or solar system named after them. What doubters are failing to take into account, is the amount of people and effort that is being dedicated towards this goal, also (if we don't destroy our own habitat first!), unlimited time to achieve this. Why else would scientists be working on such projects as developing a type of 'warp drive'! If I was offered the opportunity to become an explorer of distant galaxies, I'd say YES! I have thought about the analogy, of explorers reaching the Americas. I bet many in the old world considered them 'fantasists', but some people are just open minded, and willing to take risks!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdaMI2wnVBg   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZXmIkwQbjQ  Some people find science/invention/exploration/discovery exciting, and they have not only changed the World(you wouldn't be reading this, without them), but have changed the way we perceive ourselves!

• Like 1

After reading arguments from both sides it always seems amazing to me how religious people are "certain" of how things are while people who use science mostly talk about how things "might" or "could" be, and try to prove if their theories are correct or incorrect. Interesting indeed that religious people would acuse scientists of fantasizing when there isn't any proof about the existance of God either. And before anybody gets mad, the concept that it is not certain if God exists or not, is based on religion itself. That's why it's called faith, and that is why accepting whether what the Bible says is true or not is a choice, and not a certainty. In science, however, there are things that are proven and things that aren't, and things that are close to being proven. The proven things are not open to discussion since they are alerady known. However I've heard more than once people say they don't believe in science. How can absolute proof be refuted? And how can conjecture not be?

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 2