The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaqo

Aliens!

Can I ask you some questions? I don't want to get into a religious debate, I respect every ones right to their own beliefs. Does the possibility of alien life, contradict your belief in God? Considering that there are always going to be advancements in our understanding, through science, philosophy,etc, why doesn't religion continually re invent itself incorporating new ideas, making itself more relevant to a contemporary context?  

Yes, you're most welcome to ask any questions.

My answer is that I also do not wish to engage in a religious debate. My understanding of religion is irrelevant to the facts that I present in this thread.

I find this thread interesting because I can see how some folk cling to myths. Even adding to them, with personal imagination. I've been waiting for the "Alien Abduction" myth to rear it's head to increase my interest, but so far that hasn't happened.

The alien abduction myth is a fascinating phenomenon, both amusing and perplexing.

With regard to religion, the alien abduction phenomenon has become like a religion.

Any thoughts on my last question? I heard that Jewish scholars continually reinterpret The Talmud(I don't know enough to know what this exactly entails). It's just I was thinking Christianity could make itself more accessible, while keeping aspects like moral and life guidance. 

Any thoughts on my last question? I heard that Jewish scholars continually reinterpret The Talmud(I don't know enough to know what this exactly entails). It's just I was thinking Christianity could make itself more accessible, while keeping aspects like moral and life guidance. 

Like I said this thread is about the alien myth, not religious myths.

Any thoughts on the alien abduction myth?

This is my thought about alien abduction. Nothing to do with religion as such. Someone out there, few centuries back, had some peculiar ideas about UFOs or flying objects  to brush them up in the sky in the painting I am pasting here.

EA85D77B3867E8EE4B559A76D23D.jpg

This is my thought about alien abduction. Nothing to do with religion as such. Someone out there, few centuries back, had some peculiar ideas about UFOs or flying objects  to brush them up in the sky in the painting I am pasting here.

EA85D77B3867E8EE4B559A76D23D.jpg

A few centuries back the only flying objects were birds, bats and bugs. It's human imagination that generate myths. Humans have never seen a living dinosaurs yet man and dinosaurs have been picture together in primitive art. Of course there are folk that actually believe man and dinosaurs lived side by side.... It just goes to show the power of myth!

Like I said this thread is about the alien myth, not religious myths.

Any thoughts on the alien abduction myth?

It's certainly a bizarre phenomena. I can understand it on the level 'excuse to wife or husband, for unexplainable by any other means, away time', but as a mass delusion. That's probably a question for psychologists! I suppose it's plausable, that aliens would examine us like we do other species.

Why?

Well if they have the technology to reach us, they are so advanced, that it would be like us discovering a new frog in the Amazon, so they would test us for anything genetically diverse, that would be of use to their gene pool. And catalogue our species!

• Like 1

Okay here's a totally hypothetical scenario; as civilisations develop, they tend towards having one unifying God. The Islamic, Christian and Jewish God are the same being. So it would be logical to assume that an advanced alien species, would have one God, So it's entirely possible that as the aliens emerge, from recently constructed 'Welcome Center', (and that may be the sign that alien species, wait for, we'll just keep buzzing them, until they get the solution'), they would be carrying in front of them a cross! Or are aliens just fiction!

Well if they have the technology to reach us, they are so advanced, that it would be like us discovering a new frog in the Amazon, so they would test us for anything genetically diverse, that would be of use to their gene pool. And catalogue our species!

Of course you idea is hypothetical, and it is also the most common hypothetical assumed scenario. However, it is based upon the idea that an advanced intelligence would be godlike. It is assumed in this scenario that the older a civilisation is the more intelligent they are. A parallel should not be drawn between intelligence and technology in a timeframe. As we know over a period of time technological knowledge increases... But does intelligence?

If we look at the last six thousand years of recorded history, clearly technology has advanced. Can the same be said of human intelligence? Obviously, as we pass though time human understanding of science increases leading to technological advancement. However, is that the result of an ever increasing intelligence, or time and chance!

If a man who lived 6000 years ago could be brought into the 21st century I think you would find little difference between him and modern man, in terms of intelligence. So, in another 6000 in the future what would you expect to find in a man? That is of course if man is still here. Humans do tend to have a passion for technological warfare!

As for aliens looking upon us as little more than frogs, that would be unlikely, considering the incredible human achievements clearly made. Man on the moon, Beethoven, Shakespeare, poetry, art.... For that to be considered insignificant and ignored the lifeform that did so would themselves be inferior!!

OF course it’s all hypothetical because there are no aliens visiting Earth and abducting folk.

Okay here's a totally hypothetical scenario; as civilisations develop, they tend towards having one unifying God. The Islamic, Christian and Jewish God are the same being. So it would be logical to assume that an advanced alien species, would have one God, So it's entirely possible that as the aliens emerge, from recently constructed 'Welcome Center', (and that may be the sign that alien species, wait for, we'll just keep buzzing them, until they get the solution'), they would be carrying in front of them a cross! Or are aliens just fiction!

Most folk who believe in aliens believe that it is God who is just fiction.

It indicates some sort of split in humans; those that have faith in God, and those that have faith in science,science fiction, and aliens(although believing in all four, or any combination is okay!) Technology is merely a tool, originally it was a stick, more recently it was the Hubble Space Telescope. I think we may have had comparable intelligence to someone(6000yrs ago), but I think it's how we use intelligence and technology combined, that is creating a developmental change. Computers when combined with other technology, take us into a new era. I don't believe any lifeform that could make it here, would have a physical structure as we imagine it.  

Edited by gaqo

I don't believe any lifeform that could make it here, would have a physical structure as we imagine it.  

Science cannot accept that there exists something that is not physical, that is why science rejects the existence of God. Because God is none physical. They can except theoretical multi-universers and endless dimentions.... But they cannot give even the tiniest chink of possibility to none physical life.

It indicates some sort of split in humans; those that have faith in God, and those that have faith in science,science fiction, and aliens(although believing in all four, or any combination is okay!) Technology is merely a tool, originally it was a stick, more recently it was the Hubble Space Telescope. I think we may have had comparable intelligence to someone(6000yrs ago), but I think it's how we use intelligence and technology combined, that is creating a developmental change. Computers when combined with other technology, take us into a new era. I don't believe any lifeform that could make it here, would have a physical structure as we imagine it.  

F A I T H:  what a big word! I have hope in life :)

Science cannot accept that there exists something that is not physical, that is why science rejects the existence of God. Because God is none physical. They can except theoretical multi-universers and endless dimentions.... But they cannot give even the tiniest chink of possibility to none physical life.

I don't think that scientists do reject the concept of a God. I think their only aim, is out of curiosity, that comes with exploring the physical world(and profits thereafter). They leave the spiritual world to those best qualified. I think early humans wanted answers, about 'creation' and 'life', and religion gave them metaphors. If religion left the material world to scientists, religions can incorporate our understanding, and keep their relevance. It's strange because all that 'multi-universes and endless dimensions', is a theoretical concept defining the possible state of matter, shortly after the 'slow explosion'. It has no relevance to elsewhere. 

Aliens 100 % exist and I have no doubts about it.

100%! You must have some knowledge the world is missing. Please enlighten us.

Most folk who believe in aliens believe that it is God who is just fiction.

I believe in God, yet I also believe that other worlds may be inhabited by other species and/or that we have been visited. The belief in God does not preclude life elsewhere. There is a lot out there, and God put it there for a reason. After the resurrection, we will all have everlasting life. For that reason, I fully believe that we will one day travel & inhabit the entire universe. I've never really contemplated exactly what God is (I don't think it's our place to). Maybe our vision of him is off the mark? The Bible does mention a wheel within a wheel in the sky in the book of Ezekiel. Even putting God aside (which I don't do), we have a knowledge of what effectively amounts to 0% of the universe. Who could logically assume that we are the ONLY intelligent creatures living in it?  

I believe in God, yet I also believe that other worlds may be inhabited by other species and/or that we have been visited. The belief in God does not preclude life elsewhere. There is a lot out there, and God put it there for a reason. After the resurrection, we will all have everlasting life. For that reason, I fully believe that we will one day travel & inhabit the entire universe. I've never really contemplated exactly what God is (I don't think it's our place to). Maybe our vision of him is off the mark? The Bible does mention a wheel within a wheel in the sky in the book of Ezekiel. Even putting God aside (which I don't do), we have a knowledge of what effectively amounts to 0% of the universe. Who could logically assume that we are the ONLY intelligent creatures living in it?  

You make some good comments... After the resurection those that inherit eternal life (Which will be the vast marjority of mankind) will inhabit the entire universe, spreading out forever....

Isaiah 9:7  (NKJV)

Of the increase of His government and peace

There will be no end,

Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom,

To order it and establish it with judgment and justice

From that time forward, even forever.

The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

However, God's word gives no indiction that there is life beyond Earth... Other than the Angles who one day will be under our judgement...

1 Corinthians 6:3 (NKJV)

Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?

Right now we are going to be the first fruits of the universe.... Right now there are none but us. God tells us....

Revelation 21:7  (NKJV)

He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son.

You have seen in I Corinthians 6:3 that we will inherit control over even the angels.... If there were more advanced civilisations in the universe they would also come under our judgement, as we are going to herit ALL THINGS.

Edited by Catweazle

'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquites of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men..............................I lay my vengeance upon thee.' (part of Jules speech,Pulp Fiction)

Did you see that the first talking robot astronaut, has left for the International Space Station. Kirobo can talk, and on leaving said, 'One small step for me, a giant leap for robots', and is also said to be able to understand and respond to emotions.  

Did you see that the first talking robot astronaut, has left for the International Space Station. Kirobo can talk, and on leaving said, 'One small step for me, a giant leap for robots', and is also said to be able to understand and respond to emotions.  

Maybe this should be in the "Science Thread" as the robot is not a alien or lifeform.

Maybe this should be in the "Science Thread" as the robot is not a alien or lifeform.

I think because of the dangers, it will be robots that discover if distant galaxies are inhabited, and the way the Japanese are developing them, I wonder when would we consider them to be a lifeform? Age old, science fiction dilemma!

I think because of the dangers, it will be robots that discover if distant galaxies are inhabited, and the way the Japanese are developing them, I wonder when would we consider them to be a lifeform? Age old, science fiction dilemma!

Within my belief of God robots can never become a lifeform. No matter how sophisticated they may become, without God giving them the spirit of understanding they will not be alive.

Job 32:8 (New International Version)

But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding.