The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaqo

Aliens!

I think the main problem we need to solve, is faster spacecraft. When I heard the other day, that half the stars we see in the sky no longer exist, and all we are seeing is their light residue, I realised just how far away most of the stars are, and the planets that surround them, that might have life. So I also heard a prominant astrophysicist predict that we will discover life within the next hundred years, it will be beyond us to reach it. 

. So I also heard a prominant astrophysicist predict that we will discover life within the next hundred years, it will be beyond us to reach it. 

Pity we won't be around to see that prediction fail.

My God, you're presumptuous.  :icon_neutral:

Not at all. It is my belief in God, and His revealed word, that is the source of my conviction.

Still presumptuous.

At risk of sounding hideously controversial, I've always thought that religion is entirely based on the presumption that your God exists.

And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

For some people, the possibility of a world beyond ours is the source of conviction. I personally think that aliens are just as possible as some people think a force in the sky that made a man out of dust and a woman out of the man's rib (Forgive me if I'm wrong, I've only read The Bible once), if not more so.

Folk have conviction in all kinds of things.... However, one must take their lead from facts.... However, not everyone can see the facts... However, fundamental truth is a fact... Either it's true or not true! The problem is WHICH!!

With regard to the Bible, one may read it a hundred times and still not comprehend it. There is in the universe a dark force at work keeping the world in confusion.

• Like 1

At risk of sounding hideously controversial,

I think we need more 'hideously controversial'!!! It's strange when I started this thread, I was scientifically sceptical, as well as being open minded about the possibility of alien life, but from what people have said, and because I now seem more attuned to picking up info, I believe we will encounter alien life! I some how believe that what we create in our minds, will one day happen. I read yesterday that scientists are trying to develop a kind of warp drive! 

Aliens ? a big YES. It's obvious, the probability is too high. I just hope to be old enough that we discover their existence or better :They discover us (maybe it's already done, who never heard of fighter planes hunting UFOs ? ) and communicate with us.

• Like 1

Aliens ? a big YES. It's obvious, the probability is too high. I just hope to be old enough that we discover their existence or better :They discover us (maybe it's already done, who never heard of fighter planes hunting UFOs ? ) and communicate with us.

It is far from obvious. The definition of word "obvious" is.... Easily perceived, self evident, apparent... none of which can be applied to a theory based on a statistical mathematical assumption.

So, it's a big NO. The probability of the mathemactical assumption becoming self evident is far from obvious!

@ catweazle. Question: are you an alien? only joking!

As I don't believe in aliens it would be illogical to claim to be one.

I would say it's a big WHO KNOWS?

God knows!

But WHO KNOWS that God knows?

You know that I know that you know that God knows, but does he really know that you know that he knows? Maybe he knows that I know he doesn't know, then we'll all not know what he knows because none of us really know.

As God is the creator of all things He would know if He created aliens.

I'm an alien! sorry, I'm alienated!! 

You may be alienated because your desire (if that's what it is) for aliens to exist is not supported outside of imagination.

maybe god is an alien that created us and helped to form the world we live in today, maybe the angels that came down from heaven were aliens, and the fireballs seen in the sky were their spacecraft, we might have been put here as just one big experiment, or we could be their version of Big Brother and they're watching us, lol!

anything's possible as no one knows what the meaning of life is.

maybe god is an alien that created us and helped to form the world we live in today, maybe the angels that came down from heaven were aliens, and the fireballs seen in the sky were their spacecraft, we might have been put here as just one big experiment, or we could be their version of Big Brother and they're watching us, lol!

I've been thinking this today, surely God is an alien. God isn't of this planet,therefore,etc. That, and how do I get this thread back on track! Surely God should have its own thread!

Then I decided to be more absurd!funny_sayings_ad_motivationalposters.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I think that debating this with purists is a dialogue of deaf people.

If aliens exist and discover us, there are two options available;

0. In both cases, their techologies is far more advanced than ours because they managed to find us before we discover them.

1. These aliens are aggressive. They want to use our solar system, our planet, our resources or even us in an unknown purpose. In this case, the moment they discover us, the attack begins (direct or indirect ex : air contamination, alien virus and many other possibilities) One thing is sure: we have absolutely no chance to win.

2. These aliens are pacifists. Maybe they are curious like us. They watch us and study us. They can choose to not contact us because we are not intelligent enough. Maybe they takes the benefit of our planet without us even being aware of it. All the crap about crop cirles has no longer any meaning. What is the purpose of sowing doubt in our minds? A form of communication? I think they are evolved enough to communicate with us in a better way than drawings circles on American fields.

We can not even imagined how the mind of these aliens works. There are things beyond human understanding so we can not even imagine it. They're out of our conceptions. There still have so much to discover in all areas of science. Have you ever thought that these aliens could come from other dimension where the laws of physics are different from ours and then the outlook on life would be totally different ? All these things make me dream a lot ...

• Like 2

I like your open minded thinking here. The whole crop-circles thing seems a bit bollocks to me too.

Thank you, I always tought that most of humans think too "humancentric". We must diversify our minds. And is not that what all scientists do to discover new things ?

• Like 1

Good theory, but I think Catweazle is likely to pop a cap in yo' ass...

Or maybe he'll just reply to your post.

lol, I don't think it'll be long before catweazle has a pop at me for my post.

I like your open minded thinking here. The whole crop-circles thing seems a bit bollocks to me too.

I don't belive that all crop circles are fake, yes some of them but not all, especially the one in rape fields, rape is quite brittle and when people have tried to make them, the rape seed has snapped, but some pretty big ones that have been found, the rape has been folded flat.

that's what I think anyway, lol

You claim nobody knows. I'm guessing that you draw that assumption because of the lack of conviction in your own beliefs. Those that rely on "maybes, who knows and anythings possible" are the myth makers of the world. Anything is possible with the constraints of the imagination, where myths are created. But in the real physical universe claiming anything is possible is a falsehood.

We can not even imagined how the mind of these aliens works. There are things beyond human understanding so we can not even imagine it. They're out of our conceptions. There still have so much to discover in all areas of science. Have you ever thought that these aliens could come from other dimension where the laws of physics are different from ours and then the outlook on life would be totally different ? All these things make me dream a lot ...

Maybe you can''t imagine how the minds of imaginary aliens works, but others may have a broarder imagination than you. Science fiction writers have imagined some amazing anecdotes. 

You make a claim that there are things beyond human understanding. Can you elaborate on that, or are you just imagining it?

I don't belive that all crop circles are fake, yes some of them but not all,

All crop circles are real. None are fake. The best ones are those leaving a mystery as to how that were created. Fooling the gullible into beliving they are not manmade.

I think that crop circles should be classed as an art form. A lot of thought and effort goes into their creation.

Good theory, but I think Catweazle is likely to pop a cap in yo' ass...

Or maybe he'll just reply to your post.

:icon_lol: +1

lol, I don't think it'll be long before catweazle has a pop at me for my post.

I don't belive that all crop circles are fake, yes some of them but not all, especially the one in rape fields, rape is quite brittle and when people have tried to make them, the rape seed has snapped, but some pretty big ones that have been found, the rape has been folded flat.

that's what I think anyway, lol

Is the media the source of your informations ? (giggle)  Believe me, we create intelligent robots and genetically modified organism, we surely are able to draw crop cicles in rape fields or any other fields. What's interesting in our generation is that science is open to everybody, including talented jokers :icon_mrgreen:

Maybe you can''t imagine how the minds of imaginary aliens works, but others may have a broarder imagination than you. Science fiction writers have imagined some amazing anecdotes. 

You make a claim that there are things beyond human understanding. Can you elaborate on that, or are you just imagining it?

Yeah, but I can surely imagine how your mind works :icon_mrgreen: No offense . Back to the subject, I think you didn't understood my post ( or I wasn't able to express myself correctly, forgive this small Belgian girl ^^) : EVERY part of our imagination is fed with what that surrounds us from birth and even before. They are things you can't imagine because we haven't got the material for that. To employ your exemple, for me, science fiction writers just put some conceptions and utilities together to create a new thing or idea (It demands an effort for sure) And that's worth for everything. It's hard for me to explain it in other better words ( except if you speak French ?). Just open your mind.

Edited by Redrose
  • Like 2

It is possible that our imaginations, not only connect to what we know and all history, but even what is in the future.'in 1898 a struggling author named Morgan Robertson concocted a novel about a fabulous Atlantic liner, far larger than any that had ever been built. Robertson loaded his ship with rich and complacent people and then wrecked it one cold April night on an iceberg.' On April 10, 1912, the Titanic left Southhampton. Robertson had called his ship the Titan. The Titanic is seen as a symptom,the unsinkable ship had sunk, 'the time was waiting for it': even before it actually happened, there was already a place opened, reserved for it in fantasy space'.(The Sublime Object of Ideology by Slavoj Zizek)

I'm writing a book about a race of fleshy humans, it's just fiction!!!tumblr_mpcd0wL5cu1sqyrzio1_500.jpg

• Like 2