The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaqo

Aliens!

It is possible that our imaginations, not only connect to what we know and all history, but even what is in the future.'in 1898 a struggling author named Morgan Robertson concocted a novel about a fabulous Atlantic liner, far larger than any that had ever been built. Robertson loaded his ship with rich and complacent people and then wrecked it one cold April night on an iceberg.' On April 10, 1912, the Titanic left Southhampton. Robertson had called his ship the Titan. The Titanic is seen as a symptom,the unsinkable ship had sunk, 'the time was waiting for it': even before it actually happened, there was already a place opened, reserved for it in fantasy space'.(The Sublime Object of Ideology by Slavoj Zizek)

Interesting. I have never met somebody who has that kind of "power", see the future, predict what will happen... But I believe there is always a logical explenation beyond that kind of phenomenon. We just had not discovered it yet . People always categorize these things like "paranormal", I categorize them as "something to study in order to discover the hidden logic".

Interesting. I have never met somebody who has that kind of "power", see the future, predict what will happen... But I believe there is always a logical explenation beyond that kind of phenomenon. We just had not discovered it yet . People always categorize these things like "paranormal", I categorize them as "something to study in order to discover the hidden logic".

I don't think they are seeing it as 'prediction', maybe more that all events are happening simultaneously, instead of on a time line! Welcome, it's always great to hear from interesting newish members. What does that line of French say?

• Like 1

What does that line of French say?

Literally It's : " If they have no bread then let them eat cake " It's a famous quotation assigned to Marie-Antoinette , the last queen of France, beheaded by the revolutionary in 1793. In fact, she never said it. It is a famous revolutionary writer (Jean-Jacques Rousseau, to be precise) who assigned it to her to justify her murder and awaken the people's anger ( who were starving) . That was the historical part :icon_mrgreen: . I love this sentence because it is arrogant and sarcastic while remaining distinguished. Moreover, I looooove Marie-Antoinette and all her history.

• Like 1

:icon_lol: +1

Yeah, but I can surely imagine how your mind works :icon_mrgreen: No offense . Back to the subject, I think you didn't understood my post ( or I wasn't able to express myself correctly, forgive this small Belgian girl ^^) : EVERY part of our imagination is fed with what that surrounds us from birth and even before. They are things you can't imagine because we haven't got the material for that. To employ your exemple, for me, science fiction writers just put some conceptions and utilities together to create a new thing or idea (It demands an effort for sure) And that's worth for everything. It's hard for me to explain it in other better words ( except if you speak French ?). Just open your mind.

No offence taken. Anyone can imagine how anyone's mind works, but that's just imagination. As no one can read minds the facts remain personal.

Back to the subject, your revised explanation claims we cannot imagine concepts without material for those concepts. That is of course incorrect. We have not been surrounded from birth by aliens, fairies and leprechauns, yet those things have been been born of imagination!

It is possible that our imaginations, not only connect to what we know and all history, but even what is in the future.

No.

One can imagine what may happen in the future, but one cannot connect to it.

Mr. Morgan Robertson wrote a novel that shared coincidental features with a real future event.

Interesting. I have never met somebody who has that kind of "power", see the future, predict what will happen...

You've never met anyone that can see into the future and predict what will happen!

Have you tried a psychic?

Of course they're all fake!

Back to the subject, your revised explanation claims we cannot imagine concepts without material for those concepts. That is of course incorrect. We have not been surrounded from birth by aliens, fairies and leprechauns, yet those things have been been born of imagination!

You see things too superficially. Sure we have not been surrounded from birth by aliens but as soon as the man discover new stars and planet, and assuming that he lives in a planet, The idea that life is possible in these other planets too will naturally cross his mind. Aliens are therefore not really a "new" idea but just the transposition, the mimicry of what is already known.

You've never met anyone that can see into the future and predict what will happen!

Have you tried a psychic?

Of course they're all fake!

Of course there are a lot of impostors and crazy people but I try too still open minded.

Who knows ? There are so much things we ignore about the brain and physics. Can you believe that there are 11 dimensions and we only are familiar with 4 of them !? That opens to a lot of possibility ! Maybe these poeple are able to connect their brain with one of these other dimension wich happens to be in the future... just a (crazy?) idea among thousands !

You see things too superficially. Sure we have not been surrounded from birth by aliens but as soon as the man discover new stars and planet, and assuming that he lives in a planet, The idea that life is possible in these other planets too will naturally cross his mind. Aliens are therefore not really a "new" idea but just the transposition, the mimicry of what is already known.

You imagine how I see things, you cannot know!

Your previous claim that that there are things beyond human imagination is not defended in your above post. It matters not whether the myth is new or old. The first person who imagined aliens, fairies and lepprechauns did so without any source material. Can you provide another example of your claim?

no one knows what the meaning of life is.

Well of course that is incorrect.

If one is an atheist then there is no meaning to life. Life is only a random event.

If one is a theist then their god's plan reveals the meaning of life in their sacred texts.

How can an event occurr (as in the picture above) before the big bang?

cos they're from a different universe!

Hope you don't mind me communicating with images, at the moment! There seems to be one for every occasion, and my head has always been full of images,funny-aliens.jpg and song lyrics. 'There's a starman waiting in the sky'!  

But as we live in a Multiverse, there must be.

But we don't live in a mulitiverse, so there can't be!

Hope you don't mind me communicating with images, at the moment! There seems to be one for every occasion, and my head has always been full of images,funny-aliens.jpg and song lyrics. 'There's a starman waiting in the sky'!  

The answer is no, as there are no aliens!

Our Master Catweazle has spoken, I'll shut down the thread, contact all the sci fi writers, film makers, etc, Close down SETI,etc. Oh, wait a minute, no one knows everything. I really wish religion would confine itself to it's real purpose; our spiritual life and development! 

• Like 1

But we don't live in a mulitiverse, so there can't be!

so I take it you only belive in things that you can see and have a completely closed mind to the possibility of anything else living out there in space.

Our Master Catweazle has spoken, I'll shut down the thread, contact all the sci fi writers, film makers, etc, Close down SETI,etc. Oh, wait a minute, no one knows everything. I really wish religion would confine itself to it's real purpose; our spiritual life and development! 

I see no one making a claim to know everything, so I don't see the point your are making.

With regard to SETI, it is a foolish waste of money. Money that could be used for real things that are known to exist, such as world hunger and poverty.

You wish for religion to develope spiiritual life. Would you care to elaborate and give an example?

so I take it you only belive in things that you can see and have a completely closed mind to the possibility of anything else living out there in space.

You are wrong to take it that I only believe in things I can see.

I can't see atoms but I believe in them because there is proof.

I can't see black holes but I believe in them because there is proof.

There is no proof of anything living out in space! (other than men in orbit)

Not counting the over sixties, who let's face it are just hedging their bets. I wonder what the proportion of people who believe in the possibility of alien life is , compared to those who belive in omnipresent beings? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTHB8iC1C0E

Belief in omnipresent beings runs into billions of people around the world.

Belief in the possibillty of alien life probably runs into to multi millions.

However, belief in alien life is increasing while belief in gods are decreasing.

The difference between the two beliefs is that omipresent beings is objective while belief in aliens is subjective.