The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gaqo

Aliens!

So back on track. I believe it's our destiny to spread throughout the cosmos. Whether we get a priest to bless the spacecraft, or not, is not really important. I think we need to launch thousands of probes. I'm sure they're already doing it. Uninhabited planets that are inhabitable should be seeded(in case the Earth goes into Eco-backlash mode). Meeting aliens would boost out technology. I think that will be 'the giant leap'. It's only the will.    

original.jpg

Edited by gaqo
  • Like 1

Well, that idea assumes that human beings are important enough to save. I'm of the opinion that we aren't. I mean, who would want their clean planet contaminated with disease, war, greed, hatred and abuse? I don't think humanity should go anywhere, and I'm not saying that to be contrary. I mean, how often do you say to yourself, "People suck," or "I hate people!" ? It would probably better for the universe as a whole if we went the way of the dinosaurs.

• Like 1

I believe they do exist and we are aliens to whatever else is out there :)

Would you care to share with us your evidence for your belief.

Having a degree in the human condition only gives me the advantage of having a lot of ready resources to defend an argumentative position, especially one concerning cultural relativism and what people believe to be true.

As I've never heard of that particular degree, could you give me an example of your advantage over such as me,  who does does not hold that degree? Or any degree!

If one doesn't believe that there could be aliens, and refuses to consider anyone's position who may be able to present evidence to the contrary (due to say, a religious belief), then that person is not really in a debate. That person is in denial and will remain in the NO state forever. It's kind of hard to imagine why that person would be involved at all.

Can you show me where I have refused to consider anyones position?  And can you show me where anyone who has presented evidence? And can you show explain why I am in denial when post #170 on page 9 clearly shows otherwise?

I don't know if there are aliens or not.

Then, if you don't know, do some study to determine your position before claiming you, with your degree, will defend your position.

As I've never heard of that particular degree, could you give me an example of your advantage over such as me,  who does does not hold that degree? Or any degree!

My degree is a BA Social Science. It is a category of the Humanities, heavy in religion/philosophy, history, anthropology, literature and linguistics. The Human Condition. If you want to get into it about Religion, I can do that, from both the perspective of the religion in question as well as from the many perspectives outside of it. But you'll have to start a new thread for that.

Night Light, on 29 Aug 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:snapback.png

If one doesn't believe that there could be aliens, and refuses to consider anyone's position who may be able to present evidence to the contrary (due to say, a religious belief), then that person is not really in a debate. That person is in denial and will remain in the NO state forever. It's kind of hard to imagine why that person would be involved at all.

Can you show me where I have refused to consider anyones position?  And can you show me where anyone who has presented evidence? And can you show explain why I am in denial when post #170 on page 9 clearly shows otherwise?

I don't believe I specified who I was talking about.

My degree is a BA Social Science. It is a category of the Humanities, heavy in religion/philosophy, history, anthropology, literature and linguistics. The Human Condition. If you want to get into it about Religion, I can do that, from both the perspective of the religion in question as well as from the many perspectives outside of it. But you'll have to start a new thread for that.

I would like that. Would you care to open the new thread with any question you'd like to pose?

Night Light, on 29 Aug 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:snapback.png

I don't believe I specified who I was talking about.

The points stand whoever you were talking about. Even thought it was I.

Back to topic... as some are claiming that including religion is a diversion.

I do not believe aliens exist.

Can anyone proove they do?

Then, if you don't know, do some study to determine your position before claiming you, with your degree, will defend your position.

This one is just cracking me up. There is no reliable evidence available to anyone that aliens exist, only speculation and a lot of hype. Add to that there is no way to defend a position of being uncertain. Believe it or not, it is possible to simply not know.

You are arguing against nothing here. It's a little weird, really. My degree is moot to proving the existence of aliens. I only do Humans.

my evidence is from what I've read and seen and that's good enough for me, plus, people believe in god but where's the proof that there's a god? no one has ever seen him or her!

my evidence is from what I've read and seen and that's good enough for me, plus, people believe in god but where's the proof that there's a god? no one has ever seen him or her!

Smartest thing said so far. People believe in a lot of things they've never seen, and don't believe in what is right in front of them.

my evidence is from what I've read and seen and that's good enough for me

Oh dear, not a good source of evidence. In fact it is not evidence!

plus, people believe in god but where's the proof that there's a god? no one has ever seen him or her!

But this thread is about aliens, not God. So lets leave God out of it and stick to the topic of aliens. In your case bringing God into it is a smoke screen to mask your lack of conviction.

Smartest thing said so far. People believe in a lot of things they've never seen, and don't believe in what is right in front of them.

You have a degree and you think that is the smartest thing said so far!

People believe Jesus is God, and people have seen Him!!

Now, I have stated a thread for religion (at you suggestion) can we take God there and discuss aliens here!!!

Edited by Catweazle

Oh dear, not a good source of evidence. In fact it is not evidence!

so if you saw a UFO right in front of you and watched it for a good half an hour like I did, and it was doing things that are not possible with what we have here on earth, you still wouldn't believe in aliens.

as for leaving god out of this thread, you might want to look back a couple of pages and see what you posted before going off on one!

Edited by funbus
  • Like 1

so if you saw a UFO right in front of you and watched it for a good half an hour like I did, and it was doing things that are not possible with what we have here on earth, you still wouldn't believe in aliens.

I see. I didn't realise the strength of your proof.

Surely now the world will be convinced and all doubt removed... because you have seen a UFO.

I see. I didn't realise the strength of your proof.

Surely now the world will be convinced and all doubt removed... because you have seen a UFO.

that's good to hear but you still didn't answer my question.

that's good to hear but you still didn't answer my question.

I think I did. It is hidden in the sarcasm.

I repeat.....

I didn't realise the strength of you proof. Surely now the world will be convinced and all doubt removed. Because you have seen a UFO.

Is you question hidden?.... As I see no (?) in your post.

There is a (!) which is an exclamation.

Edited by Catweazle
  • Like 1

no you didn't answer my question, it can be answered with a yes or no, and you didn't put either.

Edited by funbus

no you didn't answer my question, it can be answered with a yes or no, and you didn't put either.

Please ask your question again, because I didn't see it. You can be assured of an answer.

Please ask your question again, because I didn't see it. You can be assured of an answer.

so if you saw a UFO right in front of you and watched it for a good half an hour like I did, and it was doing things that are not possible with what we have here on earth, you still wouldn't believe in aliens?.

I added a question mark this time.

so if you saw a UFO right in front of you and watched it for a good half an hour like I did, and it was doing things that are not possible with what we have here on earth, you still wouldn't believe in aliens?.

Thank you for adding the ?...It makes all the difference... I took your original question as rhetorical.

Before I give my answer lets first examine your claim.

You claim you saw a UFO right in front of you. Is that correct?  Don't you mean it was right above you? If so how far above?

You give little information. You say a UFO, but give no description. You say doing things, but give no description.

If you went to report your sighting to the authorities giving the information you have given me, how do you think it would be received?

Do you think they would be convinced? In other words... based on my original response, "Surely now the world will be convinced, and all doubt removed, because you have seen a UFO".

Based on the information you have put in your question, a sensible answer is not possible.... If you require a sensible answer please provide full descriptive information worthy of serious consideration for an answer!

lets just say that you'll never believe in aliens or ufo's, no matter what anybody says, so there's no point in me answering any of your last questions as whatever I say you'll just shoot it down in flames!

As I've stated elsewhere, I HAVE seen a UFO above me for about 1/2 hour+ (as did several others with me).

It stayed in one place in the sky for the whole time.

Until it started getting smaller (going higher?).

It was a SQUARE ! (ANOMALY has heard of this before also).

I know what I saw, and it was an Unidentified Flying (even though it WAS just kinda sitting there) Object !

No Little Green Men, no  Purple People Eaters !!

Just because it's Unidentified does NOT mean Aliens !!

Perhaps if I said, I saw an unexplained floating square in the sky, it might sound better, right? 

lets just say that you'll never believe in aliens or ufo's, no matter what anybody says,

But you haven't said anything about your UFO sighting. Can you not describe what you saw? Are you not able to give a credible account of what you saw?

so there's no point in me answering any of your last questions

There is a point in anwering my questions. I'm trying to obtain a description of what you saw in order to form an opinion. Do you think the authorities would not ask questions?

whatever I say you'll just shoot it down in flames!

That is a false assumption. I'd like to offer a possible explanation.

Perhaps if I said, I saw an unexplained floating square in the sky, it might sound better, right? 

Maybe it was a square cloud.

Kinda like SpongeBob Squarepants!  :icon_razz: