The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tomy2tums

Sheldon; not a real Trek fan.

Sheldon is not a real Trek fan. See Season 1 episode 13, The Bat Jar Conjecture, around 2 mins 20s into it, he makes a lame Vulcan sign, his thumb is not separate from his hand. No real fan would make that kind of mistake! HE is fake.

However, in White Asparagus Triangulation, at 6:08 ("...and now we've got McCoy!"), he does a perfect Vulcan salute. So I think there's hope for him yet. Steve

"real fan" you mean a Trekker.. then no.. Trekker meaning the devout few that live and breath trek as apposed to Trekkies that enjoy trek.

I would put Sheldon on the fence between the two.

real fan?

the guy rates number 5 above Wrath of Khan

he isn't a fan at all

Little correction- Sheldon has stated that the prefers "The Voyage home" (Star Trek 4) over Wrath of Khan. (And I'd agree, what's wrong with that?).

Sheldon was able to recite quotes from Khan, he's a pretty close image of Spock, I'd say he deeply loves Star Trek and wouldn't judge him on one mis-made Vulcan greeting.

I have to agree, he's not a real fan: there's one episode in which he discussed how Spock has been conceived, and he doesn't kmnow that it was in vitro.

(But I must admit I am not a Trekkie, I just like the original series a lot, and things might have been changend in the movies or newer series). :)

I have to agree, he's not a real fan: there's one episode in which he discussed how Spock has been conceived, and he doesn't kmnow that it was in vitro.

Hu? Do you have a reference for that? I've just recently been infected with the Star Trek Virus, so I haven't seen every material, but I can't find a reference that he was conceived in vitro.

On the matter of Sheldon. From what I know the writers are huge Star Trek Fans, so I don't think they would create obvious mistakes. I believe they want the guys to appear as real fans. I think the fact that Sheldon made the Vulcan salute wrong ONCE was just a mistake by the actor.

Well and on a different matter, I don't like the term "real fan" and "not a real fan". If somebody loves a show and doesn't know every single detail, they still love the show.

From what I've seen, Sheldon adores the Star Trek Universe- he's formed a landing party, he can recite quotes, he identifies with characters (Spock, Wesley Crusher) - what else do you want for someone to be called a "real fan" ?

FemaleNerd out. :icon_wink:

Hu? Do you have a reference for that? I've just recently been infected with the Star Trek Virus, so I haven't seen every material, but I can't find a reference that he was conceived in vitro.

Whoa, this is hard... There were references in many episodes of the original series, where Kirk discussed about how Spock was the first half-half vulcan, half-human being and how his conceivement was an experiment.

I can't write here the exact episodes, as I don't remember them preciely (It's been a while since I last saw the original series) and because I watched the italian one, back then, dubbed in italian and with italian titles.

Anyway, there' this funny episode where they land on a planet that has flowers that intoxicate all of the crew.

Spock starts getting really emotional and he has a fight with Kirk, and Kirk says something like "you son of a test tube". (Kirk got all the cheesiest lines).

As I have said, I am not a real fan either :D

Anyway, there' this funny episode where they land on a planet that has flowers that intoxicate all of the crew.

Spock starts getting really emotional and he has a fight with Kirk, and Kirk says something like "you son of a test tube". (Kirk got all the cheesiest lines).

I have seen this episode :) and I thought Kirk was just insulting him to get him angry... but I'll watch for further references. I'm just surprised because I can't find anything about his conception on MemoryAlpha, which is -as I understand- the online Star Trek Wiki...hm...

fascinating ;)

I have seen this episode :) and I thought Kirk was just insulting him to get him angry... but I'll watch for further references. I'm just surprised because I can't find anything about his conception on MemoryAlpha, which is -as I understand- the online Star Trek Wiki...hm...

fascinating ;)

Let me know if you find something! At this point, I want to know if I had just been convinced about that for years because of weird translations of the original show (the italian official dubbing of TBBT is awful, that's wht I am watching it in English, but I was too young to know English that well back then) or maybe because that was my interpretation!

In the end, it will turn up that Sheldon was right, as usual. :D

real fan?

the guy rates number 5 above Wrath of Khan

he isn't a fan at all

Little correction- Sheldon has stated that the prefers "The Voyage home" (Star Trek 4) over Wrath of Khan. (And I'd agree, what's wrong with that?).

Sheldon was able to recite quotes from Khan, he's a pretty close image of Spock, I'd say he deeply loves Star Trek and wouldn't judge him on one mis-made Vulcan greeting.

I stand corrected I weas thinking of the right movie but the wrong #

I will give you that 4 is the most humorous of the series but to place tourist jokes above the self sacrifice of Spock? For shame....

As for being able to recite lines I agree with Raj 4 is the ruler for which all other sucky things are measured but I can still "remember where we parked"

As for being able to recite lines I agree with Raj 4 is the ruler for which all other sucky things are measured but I can still "remember where we parked"

I hate to correct you again, but Raj said that Star Trek V is the standard against all badness is measured, while Sheldon disliked Star Trek I the most.