The Shamy Thread, Season 7 [Spoiler Free]

Shamynanigans

It is getting more and more difficult to not look at the spoiler pages. As entertainment I would love to know your opinion on this. What do you want to see first a Sheldon kiss or a Sheldon say I love you to Amy? Also would it bother you if either of them occurred with alcohol? I think we are more likely to see Sheldon say I love you first because it's just one more example of being intimate without physical contact. My only request from the writers is that Sheldon says it first and not after Amy says it, I think she deserves to hear it first. :)

ONLY 2 MORE WEEKS!

• Like 1

Part of me thinks an ILY before a kiss has the potential to be very sweet, but at this point we've just been so deprived of decent physical contact between these two that I'd be happy to see a kiss before that, as long as Sheldon is fully concious of his actions and it is something he has decided he wants to initiate/participate in; because it would show the greatness of his feelings and commitment towards Amy. That means that I wouldn't be so happy if any major progress, be it a kiss, sex or an ILY was initiated by alcohol which would mean his judgement was impaired and his true emotions likely exaggerated. A bit of drunk flirting would be cute, but nothing more than that.

I agree that I'd like Sheldon to say it first as I'd feel more safe in the knowledge that he wasn't any under pressure to say it to please her. He'd truly feel ready and confident :). Someone said on tumblr that they think Amy should offer Sheldon an ultimatum to demand physical contact from him, but that's the last thing I want. Amy fell in love with his mind first and foremost, as did Sheldon with her, and the idea that she'd forget that and rather lose him than not have sex with him kinda defeats the reason why they got together in the first place. It'd also be a particular low blow from her since he's recently admitted he was trying his best for her. If that ever happened I'd be extremely disappointed...

• Like 3

Don't care if there's an "I love you" or a kiss first, just as long as there's a kiss this season. The show has been dragging it's feet and it has been a little annoying. Don't mind if there's alcohol involved with either, as long as they don't go all the way to sex while drunk. But I can see the circumspent Amy and Sheldon needing a little lowering of their inhibitions in order to get a bit mushy.

I agree with Lio, except for the alcohol part. Precisely because the show has been dragging its feet, having alcohol involved would be just another excuse to dismiss it all and swipe it under the carpet. I don't think I want any meaningful progress happening with alcohol involved, but I wouldn't object to some drunken cuddling or something similarly minor. 

• Like 1

I want to see a SIK and agree with Koops about no alcohol being involved.When Sheldon finally kisses Amy the only thing I want his mind clouded by is his love for her. (Soppy I know but I don't care!)

If we get an ILY first I'd like Sheldon to tell Amy something like "I've fallen in love with you" rather than "I love you"just because he's already said this to Penny and even Leonard and I want to know the love he feels for Amy is different and he only feels it for her.

• Like 1

Howabout an SIK in a dream scene and when Sheldon wakes up he talks to Leonard about it and finds that kissing Amy isn't as scary as he might think

Although I'm down for just about anything with this couple. I think if they did that, I would scream at my tv. Having a SIK just to find out it's not even real would be worse than a SIK with alcohol. Then again if the dream did motivate him to do it for real, I might find a way to forgive the writers. I think the initial shock of it being a dream would probably kill me, but I would find a way to get over it.

Well I'm ok with small things with alcohol, like Sheldon flirting to Amy or vice versa. But major things should happen without alcohol concerned.
I totally believe Amy is capable to seduce him by her mind only, and Sheldon is already fully blown away by her in every level and aspect. At this point, I wouldn't mind at all if he stumbled to her arms when he is leaving her place etc which would lead to some unplanned touching, as long as there would be some amount touching and not withholding these two apart from each other any more. Or have them watch tv together at Amy's place and have Amy to fall asleep against his shoulder or chest, so he had all the peace in the world there to try caressing her arms a little bit for example, and Amy wouldn't probably even notice it. He could try to touch her hair with his cheek if near enough etc., as long as some touching, even how minor, would happen.

But I think it also depends on what mood or "mode" he has on those situations with Amy. Sheldon has a lot different modes and moods (as we all do have), but also very complicated self-protection mechanisms on mental level to protect himself. So I think something should shake these protection mechanisms for a moment to have his "shields down" so to speak. I think good example of this was when he was apologizing his behavior in her laboratory in s5. No denial, no condescending approaching, no hiding behind excuses. I believe there are some situations that can remove his "shields down" and create that kind of mood in him that something special and unexceptional is possible to happen between him and Amy. Sheldon is very complicated person, he needs a little emotional push or impulse to cause that happen, because, however much he doesn't like it, he is still human being with real emotions and he cannot deny their excistence. He does some decisions emotion-based, and I think "ILY" or kiss could happen when the given context is right - he has had a certain, powerful enough, emotional impetus that causes him to get out of his comfort zone or safe mode. He has such a long history of suppressing his feelings, so it is not going to be easy.

So because basically he likes to over-control everything in his life, himself, his emotions, etc. so something should shake a bit his overprotection to enable something special to happen. It seems that strict orders and rules bring him security and predictability in life, that enables him to feel life is secure around him, as he loves homeostasis - but they also can hinder him to have special moments in his life. I may be wrong, maybe  ILY could come from his intellectual side, but I still preferred if it came out of him from his emotional side. I think kissing is a strong expression of affection, it needs the proper emotional impetus for him to happen. What do you think what could be the right context for him that kissing or saying he loves her could happen?

Edited by Catlina
  • Like 1

I always thought having Sheldon show some form of affection to her while she's asleep would be a good compromise to show the audience that he is into it and loves her but without effectively moving the relationship along just yet. If she falls asleep on him and he cuddles her closer or something. But the problem is that I think the writers literally have an issue committing to showing Sheldon having feelings or desires towards her, not just with moving the relationship along, which is what is frustrating me right now.

I also stand by my idea that the most realistic SIK scenario would be one where she kisses him first and he goes in for seconds. That would create enough of a strong emotional impetus and interruption of his control-systems for him to do it,  without it having to be some kind of over the top emotional reaction and it would show he likes it and wants more of it, like the hug in 6x14.

I have no idea about the ILY to be honest. I know we were speculating whether they would just have him blurt it out nonchalantly or without even noticing, but they've done that with Penny and Leonard now, I'm not sure whether they'd recycle that scenario (although it's not like they've never recycled ideas before).

• Like 2

I see a LOT in fan fic and elsewhere about people wanting to have Amy fall asleep on Sheldon's shoulder, and for Sheldon to take the opportunity of her sleeping to "check her out" in more detail. Maybe even touch her. I know that's head canon for a lot of people, and I have mixed feelings about it. I can see it being in character for him to do so, but I have a hard time seeing the show going in this direction in a comedy. In fact, the way the show has gone before with their relationship, the way it would cut for comedy, I can see Amy falling asleep on the couch and Sheldon tossing a shawl over her, staring at her for a heart beat, and then shrugging and just being like, "well, good night then," and turning to go back to his room with his usual cold and clinical detachment. That's the way writing, particularly for humor, works - you set up a situation that one would expect to go one way, and then it ends up going another. In a situation where Amy falls asleep on Sheldon's shoulder, or falls asleep on the couch while they are watching TV, with Sheldon I guess the element of surprise could fall either way. Does he try to take care of her while she's sleeping, and make her more comfortable, perhaps even experiment with touching her, or does he take the whole "please show yourself out" type of unemotional detachment? Obviously the latter, as far as what's been shown to us in the past, would be more in character.

And honestly, some people might find it rather creepy to see him trying to stroke her hair or experiment with touching her while she's asleep. I mean, I have to admit that the thought actually creeps me out just a bit. I would not want someone taking advantage of the fact I'm unconscious to touch me in any way unless they were doing so in the process of waking me up. Besides, in my experience, even something like a person leaning in close or touching the ends of my hair will wake me up immediately. I'd have a hard time believing that Sheldon could touch Amy discretely while she was sleeping and 1) she would not wake up and 2) it would not look awfully creepy on screen.

But people love Edward and Bella and his habit of watching her while she was sleeping, so what do I know. Creepy is popular these days.

I agree with Koops that for me the most realistic scenario with Sheldon and Amy would be where she kisses him and he goes in for seconds. That would be surprising enough, but like Koops said, you could see how that would "open the door" and get past the initial awkwardness that I can see tripping Sheldon up. Even if he got it into his head to kiss her, I can see him being like....okay, kiss her. How do I do that? Um....... I would think that it's very difficult for Sheldon to get over the initial start of just leaning into kiss Amy. He'd overthink it, not be sure what to touch, how to go about it, how to even read her facial expression and figure out if she wanted him to, figure out the timing of it - it would be like trying to master an alien language which requires 4 tongues to speak correctly. So Sheldon, as we know, much like trying to learn to drive, would "transcend" the situation and simply refuse to do it, to think about it, to admit it's benefits, or continue to try. Which I think is something he's already done, really - I think it seems odd, ridiculous and off-putting, so he suppresses and denies any feeling whatsoever about it. He doesn't just do this in the areas of sex, either, I think he does it in many different areas of his life, which is part of what holds him in suspended animation in terms of growing up.

As for the ILY, hard to say if words or action will be harder for either of these two to muster up. We already know how hard it is to summon tender feelings for either party. Amy endured a lot this year before the pain over her situation with Sheldon caused her to finally ask him, bluntly, if they were going to be physically intimate in their future. Which was very hard for her, and I think "ILY" opens them up to the same emotional vulnerability. I can't really see that one in the offing yet....not sure it'll come this season at all, but then again, the show has a way of surprising me. They don't have a plan, things change episode to episode. So who knows.

• Like 2

I see a LOT in fan fic and elsewhere about people wanting to have Amy fall asleep on Sheldon's shoulder, and for Sheldon to take the opportunity of her sleeping to "check her out" in more detail. Maybe even touch her. I know that's head canon for a lot of people, and I have mixed feelings about it. I can see it being in character for him to do so, but I have a hard time seeing the show going in this direction in a comedy. In fact, the way the show has gone before with their relationship, the way it would cut for comedy, I can see Amy falling asleep on the couch and Sheldon tossing a shawl over her, staring at her for a heart beat, and then shrugging and just being like, "well, good night then," and turning to go back to his room with his usual cold and clinical detachment. That's the way writing, particularly for humor, works - you set up a situation that one would expect to go one way, and then it ends up going another. In a situation where Amy falls asleep on Sheldon's shoulder, or falls asleep on the couch while they are watching TV, with Sheldon I guess the element of surprise could fall either way. Does he try to take care of her while she's sleeping, and make her more comfortable, perhaps even experiment with touching her, or does he take the whole "please show yourself out" type of unemotional detachment? Obviously the latter, as far as what's been shown to us in the past, would be more in character.

And honestly, some people might find it rather creepy to see him trying to stroke her hair or experiment with touching her while she's asleep. I mean, I have to admit that the thought actually creeps me out just a bit. I would not want someone taking advantage of the fact I'm unconscious to touch me in any way unless they were doing so in the process of waking me up. Besides, in my experience, even something like a person leaning in close or touching the ends of my hair will wake me up immediately. I'd have a hard time believing that Sheldon could touch Amy discretely while she was sleeping and 1) she would not wake up and 2) it would not look awfully creepy on screen.

But people love Edward and Bella and his habit of watching her while she was sleeping, so what do I know. Creepy is popular these days.

The scenario I have in my head for that actually is pretty uneventful, as I also don't think the show would ever go for anything too obvious like him stroking her hair and look at her all lovey-dovey with neon flashing signs saying 'I LOVE HER'. And I agree that the line between sweet and creepy, when it comes to this, is very thin. Although, he went and took a cheek swab from her while she was sleeping... so as far as creepy is concerned, Sheldon has already crossed the line! LOL.

But, like you said, the standard Sheldon-response to a situation where Amy falls asleep on him would be to just get up and leave. That's why I think even simply having him *not* leave, or letting her settle in more comfortably, throwing a blanket over her or what have you but without doing anything too overt/creepy, would be surprising enough to the audience to give a hint that "Oh look, Sheldon actually doesn't mind it and/or kind of likes it that she's snuggling into him.". It's a pretty standard occurrence at some point, for a couple who spends so much time together, that one or the other will fall asleep on the other. And there's plenty of ways to throw a joke in there too for comedy, without defeating the purpose of the scene.  If they use this plot device as a further step forward (because the point would be that he does not apply his usual cold, clinical detachment), they would try to work the comedy into the purpose of the scene, rather than the other way around. They've done that with pretty much every little step forward they have taken in their relationship. All it takes is one line ("Fascinating", "Second base is right there", "Let's get this over with", "Keep rolling") and you have the comedy without defeating the purpose of the scene.

• Like 3

Yeah, see, that's the thing. I do not want his affectionate actions towards Amy to be driven by some sudden overwhelming impulse like in the Nimoy napkin scenario. That would be a cop out of sorts, not different from using alcohol as a plot device. If this relationship has to progress somewhere, he can't just wait for those rare moments of overwhelming emotion to show her affection, it needs to be something he can build upon. So if the kiss in 6x16 was meant to be a napkin-like kiss, I'm kind of glad it got cut.

We all agree that Sheldon isn't going to take his very first steps without something forcing him to stop overthinking everything (and I was discussing with Lio how that might be the reason for his stubborn refusal to kiss her in the Snow White ep - too much pressure, all at once, and nothing on his own terms), and that's why I think him going for a second kiss after she kisses him is a perfect scenario: it would be a lot more about giving in to something that has been bubbling inside him for a long time, rather than making an exception because he is overwhelmed by one isolated moment of emotion. It provides more room for him to build onto it (as in "Wow, this wasn't as hard as I thought and it's actually quite nice"), rather than dismiss it as a one-off and go back to normal.

I also think that, while those hugs (napking, Wheaton, etc) were things he probably wouldn't necessarily want to do if he could help it, he probably is starting to want something more with Amy but he simply doesn't know how to go about it, how to initiate it, whether it will be too much, or what have you. And so, like Lio said, he gets stuck in his own head and just gives up because he can't have the certainties he needs to assure him that things will go exactly like he wants them to go. There's too many variables to consider. I thought the way he initiated the RP in 6x23 was very indicative of that. He was literally going out on a limb there and he was so insecure and shy about it, something we had never seen him be before. Jim said it very well how he never takes risks and even in that scene the only risk he took was to do with the roll of the dice. But he had to take that risk at first to suggest that role play, without knowing how she would react, and I loved how he got more confident as the game went on and he realized she was into it too and things were going to be ok. 

Anyway, I'm rambling on. That's what happen when you try to put off work!  :icon_lol:

• Like 1

I don't think the scenario that koops describes would be creepy at all.  If amy was a stranger and he didn't know her, then yes, it would be creepy.  But she is his girlfriend, and we've had three seasons of development with their relationship.  If the writers plan to move it forward, then it's time to take these little steps.  And, after the many things that happened in season six, it's obvious that they're wanting to begin this process.

I'm not saying that the lingering eyes on the couch is exactly how it should go, and in my mind, I've always imagined something like a peck on the forehead. But, making sure to show something in Sheldon's eyes to show that he does indeed have some pent-up feelings for her.  Something like this would be amazing, while anything showing "clinical detachment" would not be very interesting, and I'm not sure what the point of it would be.

• Like 4

I would love to see a scenario where Leonard just comes in the apartment and sees Sheldon and Amy sleeping in a cuddling position on the couch (I see sheldon head back and slightly open mouth and Amy's head on his chest with of course a hint that Sheldon was wrapping her. don't know if I explained that right, sorry ^_^.) It's perfect because that opens to a lot of jokes from Leonard's side and shows us a mutual intimacy moment suggested offscreen.

• Like 1

I would love to see a scenario where Leonard just comes in the apartment and sees Sheldon and Amy sleeping in a cuddling position on the couch (I see sheldon head back and slightly open mouth and Amy's head on his chest with of course a hint that Sheldon was wrapping her. don't know if I explained that right, sorry ^_^.) It's perfect because that opens to a lot of jokes from Leonard's side and shows us a mutual intimacy moment suggested offscreen.

Yup, a scenario like this would be easy to do even with comedy purpose. If Leonard walks in and they are dressed in some random costumes or surrounded by random stuff for one of their podcasts or whatever. Shamy sleeping/cuddle + Leonard's WTF face. 2 for the price of 1. There is no such thing as too much Leonard's WTF face. 

• Like 2

I dunno...

The whole falling asleep together or Amy falling asleep on him doesn't really do anything for me, even as a set-up for something funny.

I do think it would be kind of creepy for him to touch her while she's asleep. I think that swabbing her cheek while she was asleep is completely different. It would have been sort of clinical.

But taking advantage of her being asleep in order to experiment with touching her in a romantic or affectionate way is a little creepy. While it's not rape or anything, it's still touching her without her being able to consent, if you will.

I don't really get how it is creepy. People sleep on friends and SOs all the time literally everywhere. Planes, trains, stations, houses. Nobody is saying he would be groping her without her consent. It's his girlfriend of 3 years, not Howard taking photos of Penny while he knows that if she were awake she would never let him touch her. I don't understand how taking her biological material without her consent is fine but letting her cuddle into him is creepy.

• Like 3

I'm still alive, Pearl. Haha.

You need to come back.  :icon_wink:

I don't really get how it is creepy. People sleep on friends and SOs all the time literally everywhere. Planes, trains, stations, houses. Nobody is saying he would be groping her without her consent. It's his girlfriend of 3 years, not Howard taking photos of Penny while he knows that if she were awake she would never let him touch her. I don't understand how taking her biological material without her consent is fine but letting her cuddle into him is creepy.

I suppose it just depends on how it is portrayed.  If we see Sheldon like I think we'd see him, it wouldn't be creepy.  In my mind Sheldon is not "clinical" so I, myself, would see it as a soft, touching moment.  Like I said before, I'm a big fan of the peck on the forehead.  He knows she's asleep, so he feels comfortable expressing himself.  It would be a small step toward becoming more expressive of his feelings for her.

Edited by BazingaFan
  • Like 2

Yup, a scenario like this would be easy to do even with comedy purpose. If Leonard walks in and they are dressed in some random costumes or surrounded by random stuff for one of their podcasts or whatever. Shamy sleeping/cuddle + Leonard's WTF face. 2 for the price of 1. There is no such thing as too much Leonard's WTF face. 

I could picture something like Leonard entering the appartment, see Amy sleeping on Sheldon who is watching the TV as if everything was normal

Leonard could WTF and ask "Are you OK with it ?" (or something like that) and Sheldon could answer something like "No, actually i fellvery uncomfortable. How dare she sleeps in front of The Empire Strikes Back ?"

• Like 3