Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am with you SRAM, I can't go through another Lenny breakup.  Watching a tv show shouldn't make you sick to your stomach or your stomach in knots.  Watching television is suppose to be about escapism and fun. 

Yeah you're right.  Remember how they almost made Penny unlikeable after she broke up with Leonard.

(a) Penny will most likely never meet the people on the ship and I doubt the movie ever gets mentioned again on the show.

(b ) Penny is ridiculously hot and anyone who meets Leonard would probably consider her out of his league based on looks alone.  A lot of guys in that situation would be more than happy to show off a video like that of their hot girlfriend to impress a bunch of other dudes.  It's called making other people jealous.  It's the reason a lot of women wear revealing clothes and their boyfriends/husbands love it.

Edited by I.H.S.F.C.

On another thread Tripper had shared the top search terms for the site, most of which had to do with umm, physical characteristics. 

Being cynical, I'm disappointed, but not surprised. And I too will reserve judgment until the episode airs, no matter how tempting it is to pile on. At least for tonight. :fi_lone_ranger:

One thing though.....

Season one episode one: Leonard and Sheldon walk up the stairs, turn the corner, and Leonard sees Penny. Love at first sight for Leonard.... meet cute.... all that good stuff.

Now we find that that look of awe on Leonard's face is not Love, but recognition, as in, Hey I've seen those boobies before!

Thanks for that, Chuck, may you burn in    :icon_evil:  :icon_evil:  :icon_evil:  :icon_evil:

Edited by Disgusted

On another thread Tripper had shared the top search terms for the site, most of which had to do with umm, physical characteristics. 

Being cynical, I'm disappointed, but not surprised. And I too will reserve judgment until the episode airs, no matter how tempting it is to pile on. At least for tonight. :fi_lone_ranger:

One thing though.....

Season one episode one: Leonard and Sheldon walk up the stairs, turn the corner, and Leonard sees Penny. Love at first sight for Leonard.... meet cute.... all that good stuff.

Now we find that that look of awe on Leonard's face is not Love, but recognition, as in, Hey I've seen those boobies before!

Thanks for that, Chuck, may you burn in    :icon_evil:  :icon_evil:  :icon_evil:  :icon_evil:

That makes me wonder if Chuck had anything to do with this episode, trying again to turn Penny into Katie.

Don't quite see why everyone seems upset. The woman that actually saw the episode didn't think it was a big deal. Its not like you are going to see Penny topless (although many of us wouldn't mind) and to me seeing the episode is different than reading about it..Reading about it just gives you a general idea of the episode.

I don't see why people are upset either And i'm a huge Lenny and anti Shenny person.

Of course there will be Shenny people who read too much into things and bash Leonard but thats nothing new.  Sheldon has spent the night at Penny's before. Sheldon and Penny have hugged before. It's nothing new and it's not a hint towards anything. It's just upsetting that people will read to much into it. But as far as Canon goes. Theres nothing new here.

Misophonia last year put on her report that it shouldn't be taken literally, but as a general guide to how the episode plays out.  

One thing though.....

Actually, Jennifer mention that Leonard found it when she moved in.  Leonard on the internet, trying to find out more about her, more than finding her before she moved in.  

Misophonia last year put on her report that it shouldn't be taken literally, but as a general guide to how the episode plays out.  

Actually, Jennifer mention that Leonard found it when she moved in.  Leonard on the internet, trying to find out more about her, more than finding her before she moved in.  

Yes when Leonard first met Penny they were meeting for the first time Leonard had no idea who she was, it was only later on when he was trying to find out more about her came across that. The fantasy of Lenny's first meeting's bubble is still in tact :)

its a pretty good stick of dynamite to use to fish for new fans too.

(not being cynical, its an appropriate part of the Penny back-story - it's not like Leonard posted their honeymoon video)

Yeah, Penny's not a figure skater.

As I stated in the Spoiler thread ....

For me it's not about Penny being in topless in a movie. It's what the writers are doing to Leonard and as his fan I don't like it - it's as if the writers have no clue who his character is.

Edited by ArmyGirl

Hello ol' friends !

You are so right, I would love for Penny to say something about him knowing about it and they Leonard look at her and ask her why she can tell her deep dark secrets to Sheldon on not the boyfriend she says she love.  Then he should walk away from her till she comes groveling back.

I believe others have mentioned it before but there may not be any actual contradiction between Penny confiding in Sheldon and not being so comfortable doing so with her boyrfiend. 

Penny cares for what Leonard thinks. She cares a lot. His opinion matters to her : if she were to reveal something she considers shameful to him, she would expect him to be equally ashamed for and of her. But she does not want that. She wants him to think well of her, to respect and love her. Therefore she hides things from him if she believes they might be harmful to his affection. 

Conversely, Sheldon's opinion is broadly speaking irrelevant to Penny. Even if he were to think any less of her because of a confession she made (and let's face it, his opinion of her is not very high anyway), she could fight back with some snarky comment of her own or, better, complete indifference. 

To Penny, confiding in Sheldon is like confiding in a cat or a plush toy. The recipient of the confession is inconsequential and might as well be completely inanimate for all means and purposes. 

I do not think there is any betrayal in Penny's different attitudes to Sheldon and Leonard. If anything, her trying to conceal her "bad" sides from Leonard is a testament to how much she values his opinion.

As I stated in the Spoiler thread ....

For me it's not about Penny being in topless in a movie. It's what the writers are doing to Leonard and as his fan I don't like it - it's as if the writers have no clue who his character is.

I am afraid I disagree. 

In my opinion, Leonard has never been some harmless kitten, enamoured to the point of utter docility who could never do anything wrong, ill-advised or crass due to the purity of his love. If a kitten he is, the feline has some sharp claws. 

Leonard is the show's protagonist and, as such, the recipient of most of the viewers' sympathy. I have no problem with that; it is as it should be. But this structural factor may, at times, obscur some of the character's less palatable traits and/or actions : he broke the pact he had with Howard and slept with Raj's sister behind his back; he showed his passive-aggressive side when Penny failed to reciprocte his first ILY; he responded to Penny's worry about Alex with an undeniable touch of glee (before showing compassion); he tried to scare away a nice guy Penny had to work with by lying shamelessly; he basically called Penny stupid (or ignorant or both) in front of a complete stranger; etc. 

I realise the list above may read like an attempt to portray Leonard as a villain. But it is absolutely not my intention. I know Leonard is a fantastic guy : he is compassionate, frighteningly intelligent, kind, supportive, funny, sweet and definitely not without charm (physically). But he is not helpless nor is he always somebody's victim. 

He does present that way. Partly because the writers make sure to hammer that aspect of him home (Leonard, in their eyes, is the guy who "cannot catch a break") and partly because Mr. Galecki has a surreal talent when it comes to playing puppy love. His Roseanne co-star, John Goodman, once described him as capable of embodying all the qualities of a teddy bear in a "I Wuv You" T-shirt. And he was right. There is something about those curls and those mournful eyes that just makes one want to hug him. 

But there is more to Leonard than that. He can be rude, he can be improper, he can be crass and he can, at times, show Penny off like a trophy. It is not out of character. He has done it before (the photograph he took to Comic Con comes to mind). 

I, like you, am not particularly fond of this particular side of him. The repetitionn especially, might in time make him look rather shallow and I wish the writers could find another way to let us know he is proud of and happy with his girlfriend. But, so far, it is in keeping with his history and past attitude with Penny : sometimes, he is just a silly puppy who cannot quite contain his joy and wets the carpet (I am not sure I am proud of this image)... We'll just have to deal with it and let it go. 

Edited by Chiara

If I was dating Kaley and she had done a topless role in a movie, I'd be showing it to every guy I know, closely followed by "yeah, I'm hitting that."  It is not like Leonard was showing people a private sex tape they made together.  It's a widely available video on the internet of his hot girlfriend in a movie.

If I was dating Kaley and she had done a topless role in a movie, I'd be showing it to every guy I know, closely followed by "yeah, I'm hitting that."  It is not like Leonard was showing people a private sex tape they made together.  It's a widely available video on the internet of his hot girlfriend in a movie.

Howard?....

:)

You know, it could have been worse/different. I was pondering the ineffable causes of Penny's resistance in prior seasons and the thought came to mind that maybe she had been a teen mum, and THAT was why she bailed on Leonard. I think I worked my way past that because of the prior jokes about pregnancy and that it would be too melodramatic. But I'd not be sure that that door couldn't be opened if they wanted a big chunk of drama.

Really need to stop drinking soy. :)

My initial shock is over, so I am going to wait till episode report before I get critical any more. I do have one general comment, this episode is not the cute loving Lenny moment we were looking for, Penny is made to look even more loose and Leonard is made to look even more pathetic. Add to that, their communications seemed to do more harm to their relationship than good, so you really can't blame a Lenny shipper for not being happy about this episode, it was the opposite of what we were expecting.