In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

Any user of medication misses a dose from time to time. I'm not off to get the citations but compliance is always an issue. Look at antibiotic compliance. Big problem. I'd be grateful if you would elaborate on your reasoning here. I'm not clear why using one or more pregnancy tests over six years is not maybe just a sign she is a normal person and is sometimes anxious about having become pregnant, rather than what you say. :)

I have been on a prescription medication for nearly 15 years and have not ever missed a daily dose.   If there is a problem with birth control pills then go with IUD.s or an implant.   There was one scene when she was a teenager, and the one in the box where she said she only kept the first one, which implies that there was at least one more.  It seems fairly obvious that what ever she is doing now although not a disaster, is not wroking great either.

There was one scene when she was a teenager, and the one in the box where she said she only kept the first one, which implies that there was at least one more.  It seems fairly obvious that what ever she is doing now although not a disaster, is not wroking great either.

I think that makes you more the exception than the rule. People in their teens and twenties are notoriously poor at managing risk. Also we are looking at a small number of events over say a 15 year period of fertility and she's been dating since 14. And given her tendencies to be a "big old five", if she hasn't been pregnant, then what she is doing is working fine. A pregnancy test isn't anything but a test.  Its not like she is NOT testing when she thinks she needs to, which I'd agree would be irresponsible.

For me, I'd need a well labelled pill tray, a timer and a nurse to keep up with regular pills -  I must say, well done you. :)

• Like 1

I have been on a prescription medication for nearly 15 years and have not ever missed a daily dose.   If there is a problem with birth control pills then go with IUD.s or an implant.   There was one scene when she was a teenager, and the one in the box where she said she only kept the first one, which implies that there was at least one more.  It seems fairly obvious that what ever she is doing now although not a disaster, is not wroking great either.

Congratulations! JMO but you are the exception and not the rule. Sounds like you are a perfectionist, some what like Sheldon. I doubt very much that the majority would be so perfectly strict. Personally this whole topic is IMHO much to do about nothing. Simply a one off joke and no more. :)

Yup, I've been on prescription meds for years on end and I struggle to keep up with those. Congratulations on sticking to them strictly. I'm not sure why it was necessary to go this far into this whole thing. Girls take pregnancy tests. Woooooooo. Irresponsible times for making sure, right? 

I would say the snuggly is a romantic gesture! Where's Leonard put that? He needs to whack it back out again!

• Like 2

You all are right this is likely a one-off comment for a laugh, just like in the flashback episode.

Regarding the length of the box scene vs. the song, it seemed like the box scene was very tightly edited, which made for distilled goodness. The song went on too long unless you are a fan of that sort of thing (musicals for example). I just felt the balance of time was off. Not that I minded time for Howard and Bernadette, but I felt like they ran it on because they were either killing time in an already short show, or were just really into the song. It struck me as indulgent on someones's (Lorre's) part. He was a jingle writer before he got into TV. More actual interaction would have been nice for such and otherwise excellent episode. All three couples had cute moments.

You all are right this is likely a one-off comment for a laugh, just like in the flashback episode.

Regarding the length of the box scene vs. the song, it seemed like the box scene was very tightly edited, which made for distilled goodness. The song went on too long unless you are a fan of that sort of thing (musicals for example). I just felt the balance of time was off. Not that I minded time for Howard and Bernadette, but I felt like they ran it on because they were either killing time in an already short show, or were just really into the song. It struck me as indulgent on someones's (Lorre's) part. He was a jingle writer before he got into TV. More actual interaction would have been nice for such and otherwise excellent episode. All three couples had cute moments.

I thought the song was too long too. I hesitated to say anything because I figured I'd be in the minority. Probably still am. There didn't seem to be any need to make the song that long other than to say "look, we wrote a whole song" don't get me wrong, I liked the song I just think they overdid it a bit. Loved the rest of the episode though.

• Like 1

Yup, I've been on prescription meds for years on end and I struggle to keep up with those. Congratulations on sticking to them strictly. I'm not sure why it was necessary to go this far into this whole thing. Girls take pregnancy tests. Woooooooo. Irresponsible times for making sure, right?

I would say the snuggly is a romantic gesture! Where's Leonard put that? He needs to whack it back out again!

I concur. Penny could only be happier if Leonard whacks it back out again, as the snuggly was such a big thing. There are so many more moments they can mine for future adorableness. Penny's acknowledgement of Leonard's past thoughtfulness was huge, and that she kept all those things shows that she always knew how big a deal he is to her.

Speaking of callbacks, I hope the two of them get some ironic or playful version of foamy vengeance on Wheaton. It would be funny to see them working in concert to the same end and it would be a great callback to that other huge moment. Nothing mean, just so they get some justice and Wheaton gets a little embarrassed.

eta. And the song ran on about one verse too long for me.

eta2. I just saw they are selling the song and donating proceeds so im completely fine with it being there and I'll just enjoy and shut up... about the song.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

This is a throw away joke, a gag to accompany the romantic scene with Lenny. As for this proove's Penny is being irresponsible, well when she was 18-19 it was shown in a flashback in S3, that she had a pregnancy scare, the fact she sat with her current boyfriend then, and took a pregnancy test, show's her responsiblity despite the lack of it before then. Having a few pregnancy test's could be from past relationship's, but also 2 of them are from her relationship with Leonard, and being on the pill or birth control or the pill, is a logical thing to do if you don't want to fall pregnant. And considering Penny's commitment issues, this is a high probability. Penny has alway's been free-spirited in her life especially when it came to her relationship's, we all know she has had various relationship's, and Penny has had very sexual relationship's that have been all physical relationship's. So I don't know why it's a surprise she has a few pregnency test's, or birth control pill's, it doesen't show irresponsiblity to me, but just part's of her relationship's, and particularly with Leonard. It doesen't need to be strict, Penny's not perfect but we all know that, she is so complex, it's what make's her so interesting and enduring. And yes the hug to me was a big romantic gesture, the scene prooved that Leonard is the object of desire romantically for Penny, without sex being end game, it made every other ship in the show irrelevant compared to Lenny ;).

The writers, other EPs, and Lorre had nothing to do with the song, other than having it in the episode. It was written be Garfunkel and Oates, otherwise known as Kate Micucci (Lucy) and Riki Lindhome(Ramona Nowitzki).

• Like 1

Just before they got Leonard and Penny back together (episode 100) Kaley announced she was engaged to someone else (forget his name). Now she's engaged to new guy and Penny mentions about pregnancy test. Coincidence? Maybe, however Chuck has experience with female leads getting pregnant in the middle of a show (Cybil). I believe he has a plan on how to deal with something like this. Only two ways to deal with it.

1. Hide it (what they usually do).

or

2. Use it as part of the show.

If they choose 2 it could make things interesting.

The writers, other EPs, and Lorre had nothing to do with the song, other than having it in the episode. It was written be Garfunkel and Oates, otherwise known as Kate Micucci (Lucy) and Riki Lindhome(Ramona Nowitzki).

It is interesting how they maintained a connection to Kate.

One of the problems with TBBT is time. The episodes run at most 21 minutes, and often just over 19. When all the other scenes seem so tight, the song by contrast seemed long. It may not have been with an actual clock (normal pop songs are about three minutes) as a song to sell, but we've seen huge episodes for Leonard and Penny that we far less than three minutes. I'll have to get out my stopwatch, but I'll bet the song was significantly longer than the final Leonard and Penny scene.

It is interesting how they maintained a connection to Kate.

One of the problems with TBBT is time. The episodes run at most 21 minutes, and often just over 19. When all the other scenes seem so tight, the song by contrast seemed long. It may not have been with an actual clock (normal pop songs are about three minutes) as a song to sell, but we've seen huge episodes for Leonard and Penny that we far less than three minutes. I'll have to get out my stopwatch, but I'll bet the song was significantly longer than the final Leonard and Penny scene.

I just checked it, on iTunes the song runs 2:19 seconds, it runs 2:20 on the show. The scene between Penny and Leonard has two sections. One, at the table. That runs 45 seconds and the scene in the bedroom runs 1:45. The total between the table and the bedroom is 2:30. So, the final Penny and Leonard scene runs 10 seconds longer than the song.

As far as running time, last year, the show ran an average of 20 minutes. That and having it run to 8:31 means they can sell 22 30 second ad spots. There were some shows last year that ran 19 and a half minutes, meaning they could sell an additional ad spot.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 2

Does Penny giving Leonard a blanket, with sleeves, so she can make sure he is all snoddled up, count as romantic?

Yup, I've been on prescription meds for years on end and I struggle to keep up with those.

If I go for a week without forgetting one med or another, it's almost a miracle.

The snuggly is definitely a romantic gesture. And, just to let you know, that last phrase sounds a bit off to an American ear.

• Like 2

Just before they got Leonard and Penny back together (episode 100) Kaley announced she was engaged to someone else (forget his name). Now she's engaged to new guy and Penny mentions about pregnancy test. Coincidence? Maybe, however Chuck has experience with female leads getting pregnant in the middle of a show (Cybil). I believe he has a plan on how to deal with something like this. Only two ways to deal with it.

1. Hide it (what they usually do).

or

2. Use it as part of the show.

If they choose 2 it could make things interesting.

I hardly doubt a plot device for the character of Penny has anything to do with Kaley's personal life, not once as any storyline revolved around her, fine another character got preganant around the same time in another show, but this is different. The pregnancy thing was just a throw away joke, heck we don't even know Kaley well follow through with this engagement this time around lol just saying.

I hardly doubt a plot device for the character of Penny has anything to do with Kaley's personal life, not once as any storyline revolved around her, fine another character got preganant around the same time in another show, but this is different. The pregnancy thing was just a throw away joke, heck we don't even know Kaley well follow through with this engagement this time around lol just saying.

Oh, I agree, It probably has nothing to do with her real life.

• Like 1

That's an understatement. :icon_eek:

One of the cross puddle differences. :). It's an innocuous casual vernacular expression for presenting something rapidly round here. Lol.

On cricket ovals around the world the coach will tell the last man in, when hopes fade with the light, to just get out there and have a whack. :)

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

One of the cross puddle differences. :). It's an innocuous casual vernacular expression for presenting something rapidly round here. Lol.

On cricket ovals around the world the coach will tell the last man in, when hopes fade with the light, to just get out there and have a whack. :)

In baseball, the similar comment would be to take a hack at it.  You could certainly say take a whack at it... it just has the other, more deviant connotation.

• Like 2

There was a movie back in the day called "Howard the Duck". It was the worst thing you could imagine.

Now, through the "evolution" of the show and its characters, we have "Howard the Douche". Quite possibly worse. I miss the old Howard. No need to point out that's not a majority opinion.

If the writers are so creatively bankrupt that they need to waste 2 minutes of screen time on their top rated show on something inspired by a third rate you tube act, can the water skis be far behind?

Edit: Is the show becoming just a vehicle for various hanger's on to showcase??? Or maybe they couldn't come up with a good Lucy story, so Kate has to settle for this as her "appearance"

Edited by Disgusted