Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

Agree. Atleast they apologize. But i feel sorry for Penny, we know that happened long time ago and Penny changed a lot.

Their you go Penny proclaiming when she does marry it well be for love, hence Leonard. Honestly though what was the point of this, to embarass Penny and put Leonard through angst? Although they look stronger then ever, dont know about you but thats a sigh of releif for me!

Penny said for love or  money. :wink:

So, the "Penny Johnson" thing is just nonsense right? I thought you have to agree in writing when you change your name. And nothing was said about the name.

Edited by FileXxX

Did she say when she marries leonard...??...no she could not even say that.....she could not even leave the money part....kind of pathetic :p

and penny inspite of knowing it was her fault...stays mad at him for most of the episode......

penny always gets away...while leonard never gets away.....

if this were leonard's fault ...this episode clearly would have ended with him being taught a lesson....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

I'm waiting to see if it's four years. Four years ago would put the trip in the year that Penny and Leonard were dating. Season four Thanksgiving would be between The Boyfriend Complexity and The Alien Parasite Hypothesis. It would be surprising that Penny didn't introduce Zack as the guy she went to Vegas with the week before.

If it's not season four, then it would have to be either season 1-2 before Penny and Leonard started dating or in season 5 between The Flaming Spittoon and The Speckerman Recurrence. Although, it would be two weeks after The Ornithophobia Diffusion.

I guess she could have ran off to Vegas in Season 6, you know, the week after she told Leonard she loved him. ;)

You said "It would be surprising that Penny didn't introduce Zack as the guy she went to Vegas with the week before."

But everyone met Zack in season 3 e 23. I don't think he needed introduction in s4e11, did he?

You said "It would be surprising that Penny didn't introduce Zack as the guy she went to Vegas with the week before."

But everyone met Zack in season 3 e 23. I don't think he needed introduction in s4e11, did he?

The girls had never met him. Amy was introduced in 3.23 and Bernadette and Howard were broken up.

The girls were introduced to Zack in 4.10, when Amy got the hots for Zack. That meeting is the week

after Thanksgiving. So she would have had to not mention it, the week after coming back with him. Which seems strange, since she mentions dating him the year before.

Edited by Tensor

But the fact, that even after THAT misery they are still happy together, shows us, how much they love each other. And that's great.

It does not seem much like Leonard that he did not have a lot more questions about the timing of the wedding. Considering the timing of four years ago mentioned by Amy seems impossible more questions would be asked.

The other question that was never asked was why Penny would go into a chapel she thought was fake and have what she was thinking was a mock wedding? Phoebe on Friends could do something like that because she was eccentric and quirky in a child like way. This is not Penny. I don't think she would have interest in a "fake" chapel. The story line is absurd. It would appear as though Penny just mocks the idea of love and marriage. If I was Leonard she would have some explaining to do.

Reading through this made me laugh. So much negativity and dislike of stuff. It's kind of like people just don't want to like what happening.

I think the final Leonard/Penny bit of that episode is awesome. She's basically saying I love you, I want to get married one day. After all of that they still want to be together and Leonard trusts Zack to be there, and Zack is just a funny dude.

Though I'm sure there'll be loads more complaints but oh well I'm happy :)

• Like 5

Reading through this made me laugh. So much negativity and dislike of stuff. It's kind of like people just don't want to like what happening.

I think the final Leonard/Penny bit of that episode is awesome. She's basically saying I love you, I want to get married one day. After all of that they still want to be together and Leonard trusts Zack to be there, and Zack is just a funny dude.

Though I'm sure there'll be loads more complaints but oh well I'm happy :)

Yeah apart from the whole Penny desecrating the sanctony of marrage by getting unknowinly married on a whim lol, but Zac seemed cool with it, he is so dumb witted though haha. I dont think it is fair to say Penny ideals and values towards marrage needs to be discussed, it was a stupid thing that happened, I think basically telling Leonard your the one I want, and when it comes to my next marrage it wont be due to some crazy vegas wedding, it well be done out of love or money ;). Oh with all the excitement (or angst) I just realizied its episode day tommorro! Team Leonproton  :biggrin:

Edited by 3ku11

Yeah apart from the whole Penny desecrating the sanctony of marrage by getting unknowinly married on a whim lol, but Zac seemed cool with it, he is so dumb witted though haha. I dont think it is fair to say Penny ideals and values towards marrage needs to be discussed, it was a stupid thing that happened, I think basically telling Leonard your the one I want, and when it comes to my next marrage it wont be due to some crazy vegas wedding, it well be done out of love or money ;). Oh with all the excitement (or angst) I just realizied its episode day tommorro! Team Leonproton  :biggrin:

Don't forget the millions who live and love for decades without cleric or state endorsement. My inner hippy says they went meta here. I'm not happy, entirely about knowing she was mrs Johnson, even notionally. But I just re-watched the romance resonance and I cannot be persuaded that these two will ever not be the other's alpha and omega. It's just gonna be a drawn out process.

Because Leonard's proposal actually meant something to her. Of course she's going to freak out. Like, that's not what you expect to hear in bed from your boyfriend with whom you're giving the whole 'relationship' idea a real proper genuine shot. With Zack it was just for fun, something she thought was fake and meaningless. 

The timeline can be varied, there's no exact date she married him, I would guess pre Leonard's return from the North Pole. She just didn't wanna be alone on Thanksgiving. 

Looking at The episodes, I suspect it (the marriage) took place in season 4 between episodes 8 and 9. Looking at how Penny was after the sleepover in episode 8, I believe she was depressed/drunk and hooked up with Zac (and went to Vegas). In episode 9 her father came to visit an by then she was back (from Vegas) and apparently was unaware that she was married to Zac. When Amy asked (in episode 10) if she'd had sex with Zac she said yes. And in episode 11 she was seeing Zac just so she wouldn't be alone on New Years.

Penny: I don’t know. I only started seeing Zack again so I wouldn’t be alone on New Year’s Eve. How pathetic is that?.

Apparently She regards Zac as someone she can date without any danger of becoming emotionally involved.

Edited by eirwinrommel

Scene 10:

I am so embarrassed for Penny in marrying Zack he is a complete idiot.

Now Now, No one's perfect. (i.e. not a 'complete' idiot)

Penny said for love or  money. :wink:

Perhaps, combine the two. For love of money. If Leonard wins the Nobel, there's a cash award that comes with it. (Just over a million dollars, and the metal in the medal is worth about 10 grand.) 

• Like 1

If Leonard wins the Nobel, there's a cash award that comes with it. (Just over a million dollars, and the metal in the medal is worth about 10 grand.) 

But then Sheldon has to start a new research project:

Sheldon: Leonard, please don't take this the wrong way but the day you win a Nobel Prize is the day I begin my research on the drag coefficient of tassels on flying carpets.

I found this episode as a let down as far as Lenny is concerned, the rest of the story was pretty good and I even liked Zack until he called Leonard 'Little Man' aka like Kurt would. Another double standard episode, if Leonard made the mistake he would have never gotten away with the attitude Penny had during the episode, she would have tore him a new one worse than 7.04. This could have been a great episode if she got scared, she is suppose to really love him right, and wanted make sure she didn't ruin it between them, and he becomes his caring self, he does love her, and reassures her. Then bring Zack in for the funny stuff. I think episode was just a Lenny filler, they wanted some Lenny and gave us nothing. What really made me feel bad is that I'm so sick of Penny's attitude with Leonard, that I wouldn't have minded if they took a break as a result of this event.

Edited by SRAM

I found this episode as a let down as far as Lenny is concerned, the rest of the story was pretty good and I even liked Zack until he called Leonard 'Little Man' aka like Kurt would. Another double standard episode, if Leonard made the mistake he would have never gotten away with the attitude Penny had during the episode, she would have tore him a new one worse than 7.04. This could have been a great episode if she got scared, she is suppose to really love him right, and wanted make sure she didn't ruin it between them, and he becomes his caring self, he does love her, and reassures her. Then bring Zack in for the funny stuff. I think episode was just a Lenny filler, they wanted some Lenny and gave us nothing. What really made me feel bad is that I'm so sick of Penny's attitude with Leonard, that I wouldn't have minded if they took a break as a result of this event.

Penny unknowingly married Zack on a whim four years ago, before she was with Leonard. Leonard actively used emotional manipulation to get his way. Do you not comprehend the difference? 

Really? You think that they cropped up a 4 year old marriage to Zack for the excuse of bringing Zack back, making Penny look and act unbelievably stupid and immature (particularly for the one who is supposed to have street smarts) and you think that people are just being negative? Zack and Penny supposedly got so drunk, and are so stupid, that they got married over Thanksgiving and then neither one remembers. No, wait, Penny remembers the wedding and eating a turkey dinner in a strip club afterwards - she just is too dumb to realize the wedding was REAL.

OH. 'CAUSE THAT'S BETTER.

I don't know what world other people live in, but if I was dating a person who had done something like that I would be seriously reconsidering the relationship. Perhaps I would say later, "I can't believe I dated a guy who was so stupid he didn't even know he was married."

Oh, and here's the kicker - apparently, Penny is so selfish and immature that Leonard has to apologize to her for being upset over the whole thing. Yeah, because if I found out my boyfriend was unwittingly married, and so stupid they didn't know Vegas marriages were real, and I was upset with him about it and he had the gall to get defensive with me I would not turn him out on the street with his walking papers and a mandate to never, EVER call me again. Ev-ER. Evvvvvvver. The idea that Penny slaps Leonard down and tells him to stop making a big deal out of it, and refuses to acknowledge his hurt feelings or right to be furious with her, is absolutely ridiculous.

That's not being negative, that's being realistic for how messed up the situation is. Really low blow to Lenny shippers, particularly on the Penny end. They truly made her look like an idiot, an alcoholic, and an immature little brat all in one episode.

Penny is so much better than that. I'm not sure why more Lenny shippers are not irate about these spoilers.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 7

Well, finally read through the taping report after finishing my night shift. Just want to say that I think the episode is no where near as bad as a lot of us feared. Personally I'm fine with it, though I can understand why some aren't. I don't think this will delay any proposal, could even make it more likely, JMHO.

I think the important factor is here that the 'marriage' meant nothing to either of them. They didn't get married intentionally, and Penny got it sorted out straight away. Add the pressure of being in a committed relationship at that point, of course she's going to be a bit harsh towards Leonard when she shouldn't be. And, just like Leonard, don't we all apologise for something we have no reason to apologise for? 

Yeah, it was a stupid thing to do. But she didn't run away from it like she might have done before. She faced it and dealt with it. They were both upset and mad, but it didn't escalate to a huge argument or Penny running from the situation or Leonard pushing her too much. They dealt with it, as a couple. 

Leonard accepted what happened. She didn't freak out big time over the subject of marriage. 

I don't see her as stupid and immature. Young and carefree who has done stupid things. But maybe I'm just too carefree… ah well! 

Either way, Leonard and Penny are happy. I'm happy. 

• Like 3

Well now that I have read the whole summary I have to say I am a bit confused as the why this marriage had to happen. It appears as if it if is going to be brought up again at all it will be if Leonard makes some snarky reference to it. I found the whole rest of the episode to seem rather funny but the Lenny stuff just makes me cringe. Now to look at what actually happened I feel Penny should be embarrassed. Once again when she gets drunk her decision-making hits the crapper. I am so glad she is beyond that now. As for Leonard's reaction, I get why he was upset and I also get where Penny was coming from too. Penny really was not being hypocritical here since she thought it was fake. We can argue how stupid it was for her to NOT know but I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt. All in all it looks like a funny episode with this weird Lenny story that just feels uncomfortable more than anything else.

Edited by JonRS92

You know what I want to see after this. I want to see Penny go home for a week and decide to propose to Leonard. So when she comes back, and he comes over with her mail, she proposes and gives him a ring. Then she looks at her mail and finds out her annulment was disapproved, so she has to get a divorce. So Leonard gives her back the ring and tells her they are on hold until this is settled one way or another. The writers could then put them on hold for another year, Leonard could date Alex, and Penny can watch and suffer cause she is married. Let her see what's big deal it really is. I am slowly disliking the Penny character because there is no balance in the Lenny relationship.

Really? You think that they cropped up a 4 year old marriage to Zack for the excuse of bringing Zack back, making Penny look and act unbelievably stupid and immature (particularly for the one who is supposed to have street smarts) and you think that people are just being negative. Zack and Penny supposedly got so drunk, and are so stupid, that they got married over Thanksgiving and then neither one remembers. I don't know what world other people live in, but if I was dating a person who had done something like that I would be seriously reconsidering the relationship. Perhaps I would say later, "I can't believe I dated a guy who was so stupid he didn't even know he was married."

Oh, and here's the kicker - apparently, Penny is so selfish and immature that Leonard has to apologize to her for being upset over the whole thing. Yeah, because if I found out my boyfriend was unwittingly married, and so stupid they didn't know Vegas marriages were real, and I was upset with him about it and he had the gall to get defensive with me I would not turn him out on the street with his walking papers and a mandate to never, EVER call me again. Ev-ER. Evvvvvvver. The idea that Penny slaps Leonard down and tells him to stop making a big deal out of it, and refuses to acknowledge his hurt feelings or right to be furious with her, is absolutely ridiculous.

That's not being negative, that's being realistic for how messed up the situation is. Really low blow to Lenny shippers, particularly on the Penny end. They truly made her look like an idiot, an alcoholic, and an immature little brat all in one episode.

Penny is so much better than that. I'm not sure why more Lenny shippers are not irate about these spoilers.

I couldn't agree more. The whole group mocking at Penny for that horrible mistake and making fun of it, is REALLY not funny. This is a serious topic and needs to be discussed, so i don't know where the writers are going with that...

Penny's pure ignorance in that episode is OOC. I think she matured enough to see, why Leonard is so upset about it. Everytime when he proposed, she threw him away like garbage and hurt his feelings. But actually, she is already married to the dumbest guy of the universe... like Lionne said, that is not realistic. Just a terrible way to harass Lenny.

That whole thing is a little bit of a moral question. On one side it's good and on the other side terrible.

Just imagine how awful it would be, if Penny finally proposes to Leonard and they find out, that Penny is already married. THAT would be tragic. But thankfully it did end well for these two. I think we have nothing to worry about.

BTW: I DEFINETLY believe they will bring that up later in Season 7.

You know what I want to see after this. I want to see Penny go home for a week and decide to propose to Leonard. So when she comes back, and he comes over with her mail, she proposes and gives him a ring. Then she looks at her mail and finds out her annulment was disapproved, so she has to get a divorce. So Leonard gives her back the ring and tells her they are on hold until this is settled one way or another. The writers could then put them on hold for another year, Leonard could date Alex, and Penny can watch and suffer cause she is married. Let her see what's big deal it really is. I am slowly disliking the Penny character because there is no balance in the Lenny relationship.

Nothing personal, but your ideas are a little bit harsh and not fair. Let's not forget she thought it was a "fake-wedding".

Edited by FileXxX

Really? You think that they cropped up a 4 year old marriage to Zack for the excuse of bringing Zack back, making Penny look and act unbelievably stupid and immature (particularly for the one who is supposed to have street smarts) and you think that people are just being negative? Zack and Penny supposedly got so drunk, and are so stupid, that they got married over Thanksgiving and then neither one remembers. No, wait, Penny remembers the wedding and eating a turkey dinner in a strip club afterwards - she just is too dumb to realize the wedding was REAL.

OH. 'CAUSE THAT'S BETTER.

I don't know what world other people live in, but if I was dating a person who had done something like that I would be seriously reconsidering the relationship. Perhaps I would say later, "I can't believe I dated a guy who was so stupid he didn't even know he was married."

A lot of us are.  I have stated before that I think the writers really messed up with this story for L/P.  I think the character of Zach was funny for one episode but after that he got real annoying.  Stupidity is not funny for long, especially as dumb as this guy can be.  As for Penny's choices and behavior when she is drunk is also getting old.  I really wish that they would have her start growing up more.