Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

A lot of us are.  I have stated before that I think the writers really messed up with this story for L/P.  I think the character of Zach was funny for one episode but after that he got real annoying.  Stupidity is not funny for long, especially as dumb as this guy can be.  As for Penny's choices and behavior when she is drunk is also getting old.  I really wish that they would have her start growing up more.

I think the last scene actually proves they both have grown up alot, compared to them a few seasons ago.

The mocking in the first part of the episode might be needed to illustrate that even more.

I think there is still a big worry, she still treats him like he will never leave her and if he screws up she is gone, so he needs to be careful. How can a relationship work with her attitude? The taping report is just another example of why they aren't ready to be together. Until Penny is honestly afraid of loosing Leonard it will never work. The Alex thing, Leonard still had to apologize to her, because she got mad.

This is not a show which does consequences. Most of the drama that "has to happen," such as Leonard's break ups with Priya or Dr. Stephanie, happens off-camera. They really don't want to show us any of that. They allow us to make an educated guess how all that goes down. Other problems are swept under the rug all the time because this is a feel-good comedy, not a drama.

For the most part, I'm cool with that. I have turned the other cheek when they're come close to the line on some issues. I fully understand that this marriage to Zack nonsense was an excuse to bring Zack back (which I don't argue with. He is the best thing about this episode) and perhaps toss one tiny line as hope to Lenny shippers that a proposal will happen this season. (I will be shocked if that happens. Perhaps something more like a promise to propose soon.)

That said - Penny getting married to Zack while drunk and then not even realizing she did it is, as mentioned, completely OOC. You have to basically sum it up as the writers bending her character way too far for the sake of the plot, and stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalalalalala" in order to skim by it. If you decide not to chalk it up to sloppy writing, and you decide to take it IC, then it's impossible not to look at it as really disturbing behavior on Penny's part, and also a problem that really should not go away so quickly. It's ridiculous that she has all of these horrible stories of things she's done while drunk, and yet the show doesn't treat her drinking as a genuine problem. It's a joke - and to anyone out there with a drinking problem or who deals with people who do, alcoholism is just not all that funny. At least not how it's being treated here. It's a joke that's been taken way too far with this particular storyline, and I have serious doubts that you can wiggle out of it so easily.

I mean, annulling your drunk ass marriage the next day, sure. Trying to annul it 4 years later? Really, BOTH OF YOU didn't realize you got married, and it only came to one of you one evening 4 years later? I don't see an easy annulment coming to a 4 year marriage on the grounds of "too drunk to know any better."

But this is a sitcom. The problem that the show is currently facing is that it relies on people saying, "Well, but this is a sitcom" way too often lately. And this particular case, where Penny is so dumb, so drunk, and so awful to Leonard, I'm not willing to cut them the "but this is a sitcom" slack. Flat out, it's pure and utter twaddle.

• Like 3

I think there is still a big worry, she still treats him like he will never leave her and if he screws up she is gone, so he needs to be careful. How can a relationship work with her attitude? The taping report is just another example of why they aren't ready to be together. Until Penny is honestly afraid of loosing Leonard it will never work. The Alex thing, Leonard still had to apologize to her, because she got mad.

Penny forgave him too in 6.08 and finally said "I love you". So it's not always Leonard who apologizes. And i seriously doubt she will make that mistake again. In S4, she realized, what a HUGE mistake that was.

Penny forgave him too in 6.08 and finally said "I love you". So it's not always Leonard who apologizes. And i seriously doubt she will make that mistake again. In S4, she realized, what a HUGE mistake that was.

Leonard and Alex was after 6.08 and he didn't make a mistake but he had to apologize to her. In the taping report did Penny once say 'I'm sorry Leonard, please forgive me' because if she did, I missed it.

I think it is completely IC for Penny to have married Zach if the reason was that she was drunk and silly and thinking none of it was real. The marriage itself shouldn't be the problem. The reasons and actions that led to it should be the real concern. But they have been dealt with and this incident is something from that past that came back to bite her. I would hope that her friends wouldn't have been so flippant about it but a certain amount of embarrassment for Penny was due. It feels more unfair than it is because Penny has already made amends for her previous self that allowed these things to happen. She turned that corner after Raj. I don't think there should be any pause and Leonard doesn't need to date Alex. Penny already knows that she has to work to keep Leonard. There is no need to hammer that home again. What I think could happen and I've said this before. I think when Penny does propose that Leonard is going to balk at it. At first I felt that he would be having doubts about himself but I think he will now also have doubts about whether Penny really wants it. That's why I am glad no proposal happened in this episode because Leonard would have to assume she was only doing it to make up for Zach.

Edited by JonRS92
  • Like 1

You may have noticed that some of my posts seemed out of character yesterday. I have a confession, it was all an act. Due to a chance comment from another member[who shall remain nameless, and thus blameless] I decided to join the "fangirl army" for the duration.

For 12 hours I hung on every post, agonizing over every twist, and emoting my brains out. By the end I was exhausted. I frankly don't know how you do it all the time. But, what a ride. It was fun.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Disgusted.

Unlike the person who did the reports, I actually think the more important episode long term is the previous one. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the concept of the "Hair shirt", so here's a description.

1. A garment of coarse haircloth, worn next to the skin as a penance by ascetics and penitents. 2. Self-imposed punishment, suffering, sacrifice, or penance

The-Big-Bang-Theory02.jpg

Now a few of you are reacting like Leonard upon hearing Sheldon say "Schroedinger's Cat", I.E. "Disgusted, that's brilliant!", but for the slow readers, let me elaborate.

We have 2 things working here, Symbolism:

The Lenny shirt symbolises the Leonard and Penny relationship. Duh.

By the end of the episode, it has irritated Leonard so much that he can't wait to rip it off.

and Foreshadowing:

They have been doing "mini-arcs" for the stories lately, so I believe this is the beginning of an arc where Leonard will question the wisdom in his choice of Penny. She is not helping her case with the "marriage" drama.

As Spock said after the Pon Farr:

After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true

Edited by Disgusted

The Lenny sweater is knitted by his aunt. She probably called him Lenny. So i think this has nothing to do with Leonard and Penny and it's a little bit far-fetched.

You may have noticed that some of my posts seemed out of character yesterday. I have a confession, it was all an act. Due to a chance comment from another member[who shall remain nameless, and thus blameless] I decided to join the "fangirl army" for the duration.

For 12 hours I hung on every post, agonizing over every twist, and emoting my brains out. By the end I was exhausted. I frankly don't know how you do it all the time. But, what a ride. It was fun.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Disgusted.

Unlike the person who did the reports, I actually think the more important episode long term is the previous one. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the concept of the "Hair shirt", so here's a description.

The-Big-Bang-Theory02.jpg

Now a few of you are reacting like Leonard upon hearing Sheldon say "Schroedinger's Cat", I.E. "Disgusted, that's brilliant!", but for the slow readers, let me elaborate.

We have 2 things working here, Symbolism:

By the end of the episode, it has irritated Leonard so much that he can't wait to rip it off.

and Foreshadowing:

They have been doing "mini-arcs" for the stories lately, so I believe this is the beginning of an arc where Leonard will question the wisdom in his choice of Penny. She is not helping her case with the "marriage" drama.

As Spock said after the Pon Farr:

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasent a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

I really hope you are right. We need an episode or more of Leonard re-evaluating his relationship with Penny and she needs to understand he is doing it, maybe from the girls. She needs to understand that if she doesn't get her act together, she is going to loose him. It could be like 6.02, except from Leonard's perspective.

Did the report anywhere say Penny was drunk while getting married??... I don't think so.... correct me if I am wrong...

The writers clearly love to shower all affection and sympathy to the undeserving Sheldon while rest of all are shown none most of the times...

it would have been a lot better if Penny showed 10% of patience she shows when she is dealing with Sheldon or Amy towards Leonard....

I mean one wrong thing from Leonard she goes ballistic at him......and even when she is wrong yet she is mad at him...for pushing it.......and the fact that Leonard apologizes makes him pathetic

wait a sec.... this stuff is not new... this is what always happens of TBBT.... oh cow.......this is normal....expected stuff......

and before some you say she did not do it to hurt leonard blah blah blah....take a look at the episode where leonard re-writes penny's papers...it was clear what his intention was.... he genuinely wanted to help her but did not know how to....hell he even asked sheldon for help...which was useless because sheldon was solely concerned about himself......so he did what he thought was best........but what he gets at the end is being mocked by penny for getting a grade which was entirely because of amy and bernie.... 

she also says "if you don't want to be dating someone who is only waitress"...some thing along that lines......yet few episodes back she was the was who wanted to be break up with for simply no reason........and leonard submissively does'nt say anything after her comment and she goes back to her ways with leonard...

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

Did the report anywhere say Penny was drunk while getting married??... I don't think so.... correct me if I am wrong...

The writers clearly love to shower all affection and sympathy to the undeserving Sheldon while rest of all are shown none most of the times...

it would have been a lot better if Penny showed 10% of patience she shows when she is dealing with Sheldon or Amy towards Leonard....

I mean one wrong thing from Leonard she goes ballistic at him......and even when she is wrong yet she is mad at him...for pushing it.......and the fact that Leonard apologizes makes him pathetic

wait a sec.... this stuff is not new... this is what always happens of TBBT.... oh cow.......this is normal....expected stuff......

You nailed it. Penny needs a lot of fixing before she is ready for Leonard. The writers seemed to forget what happened in season 6.

Also Penny doesn't seem to be truly in love with Leonard unless she is loosing him, Priya, Alex and his trip this summer are perfect examples.

After reading all the posts on the matter I agree in varying degrees with a lot of the posters, but the core of my opinion is mostly similar to Lionne's. Leonard should never have to apologize for getting mad, after what she did. Besides even if Penny wasn't ill intentioned, there's stupid, and then there's stupid. I mean, as some other posters have said; Isn't she supposed to be the one who's street-smart? I mean , come on! As someone eslse has also said, with everything that's been happening, I am starting to dislike Penny more and more. I honestly believe it is a case of lazy writing, but they owe Penny the dignity of keeping her IC. Stupid Penny, drunk Penny has been waaaaaaay over done IMO.

• Like 1

I think it is completely IC for Penny to have married Zach if the reason was that she was drunk and silly and thinking none of it was real. The marriage itself shouldn't be the problem. The reasons and actions that led to it should be the real concern. But they have been dealt with and this incident is something from that past that came back to bite her. I would hope that her friends wouldn't have been so flippant about it but a certain amount of embarrassment for Penny was due. It feels more unfair than it is because Penny has already made amends for her previous self that allowed these things to happen. She turned that corner after Raj. I don't think there should be any pause and Leonard doesn't need to date Alex. Penny already knows that she has to work to keep Leonard. There is no need to hammer that home again. What I think could happen and I've said this before. I think when Penny does propose that Leonard is going to balk at it. At first I felt that he would be having doubts about himself but I think he will now also have doubts about whether Penny really wants it. That's why I am glad no proposal happened in this episode because Leonard would have to assume she was only doing it to make up for Zach.

I think you and I am on somewhat the same page. As a matter of fact since the "annulment"  process just started we are going to have to hear about it again. There's a lot of unanswered questions. where were they married at? I'm almost willing to bet there was no "real" wedding and in fact they were never married. @disgusted reference to fake weddings is a definite possibilty. To me Sheldon getting all over Penny's case about the Vegas wedding seems to be one of his best moments ever. Part of the problem yesterday for many of us was that the person who did the taping report (and did a wonderful job) did over almost a 24 hr. period and thus left people to imagine what was going to happen.  There was no way Penny was going to look good in this episode anyways but this made it 100 times worse. You are right though I thought a wedding proposal was coming to Leonard.  I thought this annulment was a hoax. Since it wasn't I'm glad I was wrong. As to the people who wanted some big apology out of Penny thats sort of OOC for her. She admitted a couple times she screwed up getting married. Everyone knows that. Others pointed that if the shoe was the other foot she would have went ballistic IDK. She went ballistic with Leonard's proposal in bed but it was by themselves. This screw up was in front of the group.They all knew about it. Even H/B wedding Penny wasn't mentioning the proposal it was Leonard.

anyway another topic.... 

At this point I would like to see the Leonard character written out of this show....the last episode I saw based on him which was good was probably the 100th episode......even his trip with hawking was entirely dedicated to sheldon and penny....and his arc was completely neglected.....

and when there is chance of giving him a good story like the this seasons mother's book episode , they give him such an awful story....  howard gets better stories.. which draws him much more sympathy........and sheldon always has the writers symapthy.....especially by the reactions of other characters.......

Really? You think that they cropped up a 4 year old marriage to Zack for the excuse of bringing Zack back, making Penny look and act unbelievably stupid and immature (particularly for the one who is supposed to have street smarts) and you think that people are just being negative? Zack and Penny supposedly got so drunk, and are so stupid, that they got married over Thanksgiving and then neither one remembers. No, wait, Penny remembers the wedding and eating a turkey dinner in a strip club afterwards - she just is too dumb to realize the wedding was REAL.

OH. 'CAUSE THAT'S BETTER.

I don't know what world other people live in, but if I was dating a person who had done something like that I would be seriously reconsidering the relationship. Perhaps I would say later, "I can't believe I dated a guy who was so stupid he didn't even know he was married."

Oh, and here's the kicker - apparently, Penny is so selfish and immature that Leonard has to apologize to her for being upset over the whole thing. Yeah, because if I found out my boyfriend was unwittingly married, and so stupid they didn't know Vegas marriages were real, and I was upset with him about it and he had the gall to get defensive with me I would not turn him out on the street with his walking papers and a mandate to never, EVER call me again. Ev-ER. Evvvvvvver. The idea that Penny slaps Leonard down and tells him to stop making a big deal out of it, and refuses to acknowledge his hurt feelings or right to be furious with her, is absolutely ridiculous.

That's not being negative, that's being realistic for how messed up the situation is. Really low blow to Lenny shippers, particularly on the Penny end. They truly made her look like an idiot, an alcoholic, and an immature little brat all in one episode.

Penny is so much better than that. I'm not sure why more Lenny shippers are not irate about these spoilers.

There are some of us Lenny that do see this as a low blow and we are upset about.  I didn't like the way Penny dismissed Leonard feelings or made him feel he didn't have the right to be upset with her.  It bothers me that Leonard had to apologize too, but Penny didn't, also her the next time I get married it won't be a joke, it will be for love or money, are we suppose to take it as she means Leonard. If so, why not have Penny say when we get married.

I can't understand why Leonard hasn't question his relationship with Penny as he has good reasons to.  The guy has to be thinking what other secret(s) are in Penny's closet just waiting to spring forward.  The relationship is still too tilted in Penny's favor for me and until it becomes more equal I can't see a proposal in the near future as it wouldn't make sense.

Finally, I have had my fill of Zack and hope never to see him again, though I have a feeling we be seeing him again in the future. 

Now with all this said, the writers needs to stop messing with Penny and let her grown up. Stop with the stupid decision-making, stop with the drinking thing crap, stop with the always letting her walk all over Leonard.  Give Lenny the same care that you give Shamy and Howardette. and finally stop making Leonard the punching bag of the show.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 2

I think the writers got what they wanted. This thread was silent for some time, then I stop back for a quick check, and there is this flood of posts. They've got the buzz going.

It has been noted that the taping reports read much harsher than the broadcast episodes. Somehow the actors soften the edges. No fault of those writing the reports. The actors are just that good.

Penny between the season 3 breakup and "The Beta Test Initiation" was, quite frankly, a mess. I think "The Romance Resonance" proves she knows Leonard is the one. There is no other box. Her reason for keeping that stuff shows how deeply she feels about him, and this episodes points out how messed up she was without him. Her reaction add much shows she realizes how bad it was for her in the interregnum. I suspect this will make better sense with time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• Like 3

And those of you who thought Penny spent the time during her break-up with Leonard regretting breaking up........hmm...looks like she enjoyed way lot more than when she is with Leonard....great times.... :p .... when have we ever seen penny taking leonard some where to enjoy.... at least Leonard tried...

There are some of us Lenny that do see this as a low blow and we are upset about.  I didn't like the way Penny dismissed Leonard feelings or made him feel he didn't have the right to be upset with her.  It bothers me that Leonard had to apologize too, but Penny didn't, also her the next time I get married it won't be a joke, it will be for love or money, are we suppose to take it as she means Leonard. If so, why not have Penny say when we get married.

Part of the problem is and I know this isn't PC but Leonard's the woman in the relationship and penny is the guy. But I think your wrong about her dismissing his feelings. She got Zack over immediately to sign the annulment papers. In this case IMO actions speak louder than words. Obviously the tag with the love or money was meant about Leonard. But i think the writers would put themselves in a box and fans would be in a frenzy if Penny mentioned when we get married.

I guess I'm the only one who gets where Penny is coming from in terms of getting fed up with Leonard. She's humiliated, stressed out, and he keeps harking on about it like a spoiled child; making it even worse than it already is. He keeps rubbing it in her face that she screwed up, perhaps because he gets some sort of joy from being intellectually superior to her (not even letting her have the glory of winning one game of chess is an example). There are few things worse than being guilted, especially when she probably is dealing with a lot of shame from it as it is. He even complains when he tells Zach (who I adore BTW and am happy to see again) to come over to sign the damn papers, he complains some more. I'm so tired of seeing Penny blamed for all things wrong in the relationship when so many of their issues are rooted in Leonard. You all are comparing a mistake Penny made unknowingly, while she and Leonard were broken up, with things that Leonard did in spite of his relationship with Penny (accepting Alex's advancement, dragging his mommy into their sex life so that he can have his way). Frankly, reading this I'd take a good-natured simpleton like Zach over a whiny, unhelpful, hypercritical Leonard. 

I hope, if they continue this storyline, that we come to find out that Zack and Penny were never legally married. I can't imagine that the two would actually sign a marriage license and still go on thinking the whole thing was a fake. Penny is one heck of a lot smarter than that. Sadly, I'm sure that's way too much to hope for and it might even end up being dragged out with the two having to go through with a formal divorce proceeding. Frankly, I see little comedy if that happens to be the case and it would probably ruin the season in the same way Priya did. I find it weird that the writers are somehow revealing Penny's (legal) last name in any capacity, as they've always feared it would jinx it. Seems they might have, but it would be because of the way they did it, not by giving her a surname. 

I wish they were creative enough to find another way to bring Zack back into the picture. He's a great character, so funny, and there are better ways than this. 

I think one of the things this episode shows us is that Penny was still partying after she broke up with Leonard, she was not the nun people thought she was. She went out with Zack a lot it seems, she was in a sort of relationship with him, so he is truly an ex to her and Leonard knows it. So why would he be upset to find out she married her ex, 4 years or yesterday doesn't make a difference. I didn't know, is not an excuse and if Leonard was a normal man, Penny would be in real hot water.

I've changed my mind, I am thinking a break up for them might be good, so we can explore the Leonard/Alex chemistry.

It seems to me they are mining the past for stories and filling in blanks. It's disconcerting that they play so hard and wacky occaisionaly. Leonard's dire mother story with Ping Pong paddles and the pair playing psych wars, and now Mrs Johnson, on the face of it the stupidest women alive. These are truly awful back stories, brought to the fore. It's a type of brinksmanship, I feel. "How hard can we push the L/P, now we have the people's trust that it won't break". I have thought before that they don't have to break them up and that they can explore the consequences of Penny and Leonard's choice of each other. This is one of those things. She WAS a fall down drinker at one point and Leonard knows that, or is now finding out more about what that might mean. The upside is they have a chance to set things right and she doesn't have to behave that way again.

I'm sure performance will lift this. Leonard will look concerned and angry, Penny will look angry and I hope anguished and the bits with Sheldon and the others will dilute the pain. And the serialisation of the report was a marvellous device for fuelling speculation and emotion. :)

( @SRAM, I can't see Alex as a nice person. She was smart enough to know what she was doing when she hit on Leonard. Penny at least had no intent to marry Zack. Ignorant before and after the fact. Disappointingly so.)

• Like 4

I think one of the things this episode shows us is that Penny was still partying after she broke up with Leonard, she was not the nun people thought she was. She went out with Zack a lot it seems, she was in a sort of relationship with him, so he is truly an ex to her and Leonard knows it. So why would he be upset to find out she married her ex, 4 years or yesterday doesn't make a difference. I didn't know, is not an excuse and if Leonard was a normal man, Penny would be in real hot water.

I've changed my mind, I am thinking a break up for them might be good, so we can explore the Leonard/Alex chemistry.

I saw those episodes, there's absolutely no chemistry to explore. Don't hang out on the Leonard/Penny thread if you want him with little Mary Sue Alex (who served whatever purpose may have had and is on NCIS now, BTW). Penny's doing everything she can to try and fix the situation as soon as possible, despite being met with ridicule and grief, so I'm not sure why you think she's somehow the evil villain in this. When Leonard willfully gets himself into bad situations (such as cheating, on a woman he claimed he "loved" and "could see himself marrying"), she tried to help him work through the problem even though they were broken up. 

It seems to me they are mining the past for stories and filling in blanks. It's disconcerting that they play so hard and wacky occaisionaly. Leonard's dire mother story with Ping Pong paddles and the pair playing psych wars, and now Mrs Johnson, on the face of it the stupidest women alive. These are truly awful back stories, brought to the fore. It's a type of brinksmanship, I feel. "How hard can we push the L/P, now we have the people's trust that it won't break". I have thought before that they don't have to break them up and that they can explore the consequences of Penny and Leonard's choice of each other. This is one of those things. She WAS a fall down drinker at one point and Leonard knows that, or is now finding out more about what that might mean. The upside is they have a chance to set things right and she doesn't have to behave that way again.

I'm sure performance will lift this. Leonard will look concerned and angry, Penny will look angry and I hope anguished and the bits with Sheldon and the others will dilute the pain. And the serialisation of the report was a marvellous device for fuelling speculation and emotion. :)

( @SRAM, I can't see Alex as a nice person. She was smart enough to know what she was doing when she hit on Leonard. Penny at least had no intent to marry Zack. Ignorant before and after the fact. Disappointingly so.)

I'm sorry I have to disagree. If we can give Penny a break on marrying her ex because she had a stupid moment, then we can give Alex a break because she is filled with goofy juice, quoting Sheldon, and has a strong crush on Leonard. I would love to see Leonard with a girl that adored him, even for a little while.

I'm sorry I have to disagree. If we can give Penny a break on marrying her ex because she had a stupid moment, then we can give Alex a break because she is filled with goofy juice, quoting Sheldon, and has a strong crush on Leonard. I would love to see Leonard with a girl that adored him, even for a little while.

As for Alex, I don't think it's a good idea to break up Lenny again. Especially to throw Leonard and Alex together, because Leonard knows full well how jealous Penny was of Alex. Breaking up with Penny and dating Alex would seem almost deliberately hurtful, even if Penny was the one breaking up with Leonard. It would be....sort of a sign that Leonard was always aware of who was an option of the back burner, and if Penny wasn't going to keep him he'd default to his other option. Sort of saying, "See? You don't want me, here's someone who does who I knew was always waiting." It would just be cruel, I think. I really don't want to see Alex and Leonard ever really date. 

That said, I don't hold Alex's crush against her. What I do dislike about her is that she denied the truth to Sheldon, and then turned him over to the mercies of HR when she knew, she had to know, Sheldon had a point. She DID ask out Leonard, and then acted like she didn't. I feel that Alex probably should have known or been aware that Sheldon and Leonard are best friends and roommates, so maybe she really should have expected that Sheldon would have been very upset by her behavior, and that Sheldon would be protective of Leonard. If Alex knew them all well, she'd know that Sheldon would be protective of Leonard and Penny both, as well as their relationship. I feel that Alex was dishonest, and felt embarrassed by Sheldon coming down on her, and she retaliated in a way by turning him into HR. She caused a lot of issues for all of the boys that way, and it really wasn't cool.

Not that I hate her or anything, that just really wasn't cool.

It does mean something to me that this episode of Penny's was so far in the past. When she was drinking more, but it's not really the drinking here. It's that Penny is nowhere near as stupid as Zack, and she has to know that quickie marriages in Vegas are real? It defies credibility, the whole thing. It was just to bring Zack back, I think, and fill in the Leonard/Penny relationship with more drama/angst/recovery. But how OOC do you have to take a character to accomplish that? It's just not good writing.

• Like 3