Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

I literally have no other words for this besides no. Sorry, but no.

I actually have to say im pretty shocked at how much this has blown up! I knew there was gonna be a bit of freaking out but this is much more than i expected! I just dont see the big deal. Bad choice of words maybe because i know Penny getting married is a big deal but i just dont feel the same as most of you seem to on here. I'm actually pretty happy with the overall episode. Sure, it could have gone better and i could have done without this whole 'Penny gets married in Vegas' thing, but it really isnt the worst thing ever for them. The scene with Zack made me laugh, honestly if she was gonna marry one of her exes im so glad it was him! Hes a complete moron but hes actually really sweet too.

The way i see it, Penny got drunk and silly and thought that the ultra tacky looking churches were actually for fake weddings. Maybe Zack said they were and she believed him. One of them thought it would be just hilarious to have a fake wedding (possibly after listening to Bruno Mars' Marry You a few times!) the other thought it was a great idea, probably a decision helped along by tequila, or vodka, who knows, maybe both. I would say was gullible, not stupid.  I'm pretty sure Penny knows that weddings in Vegas are real, but maybe she just thought that fake weddings in vegas existed too, is that really such a stupid thing to believe? Someone on chat on this forum once told me that Canadians dont use toilet paper and i believed them. My dad once told my mum that sausages grow on trees and she believed him. Believing that Vegas actually do fake weddings as well as real ones? that doesnt seem like such a hard thing to believe to me. At the end of the day, the whole thing meant so little to her, that after it happened she didnt bother about it. Because there was no way she would actually get married in Vegas to Zack, right? She thought it was fake and with not having anyone there to say, well maybe it wasn't she just put it to the back of her mind as something funny she done. Like getting drunk on space mountain. A funny story to tell, no big deal.

This explanation says something about her attitude towards marriage. She thinks it is a joke. Perhaps the writers think it is a joke. I don't think it is a joke and I'd not be in a relationship with someone who would take that attitude. I guess perhaps in Hollywood marriage is kind of a joke.

I literally have no other words for this besides no. Sorry, but no.

I actually have to say im pretty shocked at how much this has blown up! I knew there was gonna be a bit of freaking out but this is much more than i expected! I just dont see the big deal. Bad choice of words maybe because i know Penny getting married is a big deal but i just dont feel the same as most of you seem to on here. I'm actually pretty happy with the overall episode. Sure, it could have gone better and i could have done without this whole 'Penny gets married in Vegas' thing, but it really isnt the worst thing ever for them. The scene with Zack made me laugh, honestly if she was gonna marry one of her exes im so glad it was him! Hes a complete moron but hes actually really sweet too.

The way i see it, Penny got drunk and silly and thought that the ultra tacky looking churches were actually for fake weddings. Maybe Zack said they were and she believed him. One of them thought it would be just hilarious to have a fake wedding (possibly after listening to Bruno Mars' Marry You a few times!) the other thought it was a great idea, probably a decision helped along by tequila, or vodka, who knows, maybe both. I would say was gullible, not stupid.  I'm pretty sure Penny knows that weddings in Vegas are real, but maybe she just thought that fake weddings in vegas existed too, is that really such a stupid thing to believe? Someone on chat on this forum once told me that Canadians dont use toilet paper and i believed them. My dad once told my mum that sausages grow on trees and she believed him. Believing that Vegas actually do fake weddings as well as real ones? that doesnt seem like such a hard thing to believe to me. At the end of the day, the whole thing meant so little to her, that after it happened she didnt bother about it. Because there was no way she would actually get married in Vegas to Zack, right? She thought it was fake and with not having anyone there to say, well maybe it wasn't she just put it to the back of her mind as something funny she done. Like getting drunk on space mountain. A funny story to tell, no big deal.

I can completely understand the way Penny reacted when she found out, that doesnt mean it was right, but i understand it. She was embarrased. She knew she was wrong and she admitted that. She was going to take care of it, and she told Leonard that. When he persisted with it (which im not saying was wrong of him btw but ill get to Leonard in a minute) she got angry. It was bringing up how silly she had been again and all she wanted him to do was let it go, not because she didnt want to stay married to the guy, but because she was dealing with it, and she just wanted to stop talking about it. I cant tell you how many times ive got mad at people for getting on my back about doing something when i've said i will do it. It wasnt like she was doing nothing about it, look how fast she got in touch with Zack. She knew that she had to get that thing sorted as soon as possible and i love that she just got right on it. It actually shows some level of maturity from her to be able to just deal with it, instead of putting it off. She wanted that thing over, and she got it done.

Now, Leonards reaction is something i can understand too. He was hurt and upset, and rightly so. It was a shock and he wanted nothing more than for her to get it annulled as fast as possible, and he made sure she didn't forget about it until she had. I just love that in the car after finding out what happened he just said 'you are taking care of this'. there was no discussion. He never said 'so, what are you going to do about this?' leaving what was going to happen next open to her, he just told her she was fixing it, with the undertone of 'if you dont take care of this, we will have a problem'. Take charge Leonard at his best and i love it. Ad so does Penny. ;)

The way it ended was perfect, to me, because she was letting him know that she had no intention of doing that again, that the next time she gets married it was going to be for love (and that she loves him and he will be the one she marries)! She didnt say that last part of course but I think its what the whole scene implies.  :)

I really do think a lot of you are focusing on the negatives here and forgetting about the fact that at the end, they were happy. He forgave her silly mistake and she made that promise to never do something so silly again. We ended on a good note. I see only good things for these two from now on, and with the whole marriage thing recently brought up again, it plants that proposal seed in our girls head. I dont know if we will see a proposal this season, but i think if this whole vegas wedding has any other reason for being brought up, its not as a reason to break them up, but to pull them closer together. :wub:  :wub:

Exactly. This whole plot wasn't really a big deal. It's a marriage on paper, but not in her heart. It ended very well for the two, so where is all that "they should take a break-nonsense" coming from? I think S7 proves a lot of love. Of course they have little fights, like in 7.03 and 7.04, but they forgot about it. You can't have a relationship without little fights. Just look at Shamy or Howardette, it's the same there.

I don't like it how anybody is blaming Penny for what she did and picture Leonard as the innocent one. Penny made mistakes, that's for sure. But Leonard also did. So could you guys please calm down? They are fine now and they don't need a break or sex with Alex, what's going on with you?

It says something about her attitude, with Zack, then, nothing about her attitude, with Leonard, now. And from her reaction and trying to get the annulment done as quick as possible, it doesn't appear she thinks it's a joke now.

• Like 5

Wasn't her biggest fear back when she broke up with Leonard the first time that she would do something stupid to ruin it? This certainly qualifies, if it gets around the university. I also find it interesting that WW will be back next episode. Closure of some kind?

• Like 1

This explanation says something about her attitude towards marriage. She thinks it is a joke. Perhaps the writers think it is a joke. I don't think it is a joke and I'd not be in a relationship with someone who would take that attitude. I guess perhaps in Hollywood marriage is kind of a joke.

It says something about her attitude, with Zack, then, nothing about her attitude, with Leonard, now. And from her reaction and trying to get the annulment done as quick as possible, it doesn't appear she thinks it's a joke now.

agreed

• Like 1

Wasn't her biggest fear back when she broke up with Leonard the first time that she would do something stupid to ruin it? This certainly qualifies, if it gets around the university. I also find it interesting that WW will be back next episode. Closure of some kind?

That marriage-accident isn't stupider than her Valentine's Day screw-up. You guys are making a too big deal out of it. Also she did it a LONG TIME AGO and thought it was fake. We know how stupid Penny was in the past.

Really? You think that they cropped up a 4 year old marriage to Zack for the excuse of bringing Zack back, making Penny look and act unbelievably stupid and immature (particularly for the one who is supposed to have street smarts) and you think that people are just being negative? Zack and Penny supposedly got so drunk, and are so stupid, that they got married over Thanksgiving and then neither one remembers. No, wait, Penny remembers the wedding and eating a turkey dinner in a strip club afterwards - she just is too dumb to realize the wedding was REAL.

OH. 'CAUSE THAT'S BETTER.

I don't know what world other people live in, but if I was dating a person who had done something like that I would be seriously reconsidering the relationship. Perhaps I would say later, "I can't believe I dated a guy who was so stupid he didn't even know he was married."

Oh, and here's the kicker - apparently, Penny is so selfish and immature that Leonard has to apologize to her for being upset over the whole thing. Yeah, because if I found out my boyfriend was unwittingly married, and so stupid they didn't know Vegas marriages were real, and I was upset with him about it and he had the gall to get defensive with me I would not turn him out on the street with his walking papers and a mandate to never, EVER call me again. Ev-ER. Evvvvvvver. The idea that Penny slaps Leonard down and tells him to stop making a big deal out of it, and refuses to acknowledge his hurt feelings or right to be furious with her, is absolutely ridiculous.

That's not being negative, that's being realistic for how messed up the situation is. Really low blow to Lenny shippers, particularly on the Penny end. They truly made her look like an idiot, an alcoholic, and an immature little brat all in one episode.

Penny is so much better than that. I'm not sure why more Lenny shippers are not irate about these spoilers.

I think that it was a lark, not plain stupidity on Penny's part.  And I don't think that she comes across as some kind of ignorant bumpkin for thinking that she and Zack had had a fake wedding.

It's like she thought it was some gag--like something you would do at an amusement park, like getting a princess makeover.  The fact that she was drinking and that she was with dumbbell Zack probably added to her mistake.

She obviously knows that people can get quickie marriages in Vegas, since she mentioned it to Bernie in S5, but that doesn't mean that she's ever seen those kitschy "wedding chapels" and wouldn't think they were fake.

And why wouldn't she, in her partying days, have enjoyed a crazy Thanksgiving in Vegas--including what she thought was a gag wedding?  I'm sure one could easily arrange to have a fake wedding in Vegas.  Maybe Elvis married them and that's why she thought it was fake?  Who knows?  Whatever the case, she obviously didn't do it out of love for Zack.

So, the mistake gets pointed out to her and she's reasonably embarrassed at her mistake and assures Leonard that she's going to get it taken care of.

But then Leonard keeps pushing the issue (and doesn't he do that pretty often with her?)  Is it really important that he shows her all the forms and stuff THAT DAY?  Couldn't he have waited until after Thanksgiving, when they weren't all together at someone else's house?  Would it have made a difference in their relationship for him to have waited and then helped her find and print the forms the next day?

It's not as if her "marriage" to Zack had had any emotional or romantic or even sexual impact on her relationship with Leonard.  Since she didn't think it was real, it was something that she'd almost forgotten about.  Since she and Leonard weren't together when it happened and she wasn't emotionally invested in it, it's not as if she were committing adultery.  She didn't think it was real, so how could it have any bearing on her current relationship?

I think Leonard's attempt to date that girl from the comic book store while still claiming Priya as his girlfriend ("Priya and I are in love.  I think we could get married some day.") was far worse than Penny's unwitting "marriage" to Zack.  At least Penny didn't know what she had done.  Leonard knew full well what he was wanting to do.

I'm not trying to pit them against each other, as in who's better.  Just trying to point out Penny's innocent mindset.

But I do think that Leonard continuing to fixate on it while they were at the dinner is what made her angry.  She'd already said she'd take care of it--it's not like she WANTED to be married to Zack!  But Leonard keeps bringing it up and then he wonders why she snaps at him.

Is he really a victim?  It's not as if the "marriage on paper" means anything in context of his relationship to Penny emotionally.  She hadn't left any part of her heart with Zack in that wedding chapel, she wasn't clinging to Zack as a fall-back plan.

Leonard is the one to whom she said, "I love you", not Zack.

So, she does what he wants--she takes care of it immediately.  And I think that having Zack come over that day to sign the papers is a fitting response to Leonard's pestering.  He wants it taken care of right away, so she takes care of it right away.

And I love that Zack invites himself to dinner. :)

As I've said elsewhere, the mistaken marriage is a classic comedy bit--either someone is accidentally married like Penny & Zack, or a couple thinks they're married and then finds out that there's some glitch.  I just saw an I Love Lucy episode like that, and I think they did it on the Dick Van Dyke show once, etc.  There's a drunken wedding in Mame and in The Hangover, and I'm sure many other movies and TV shows.

I think that this is just a funny twist on an old trope, not some kind of set-up for a break-up

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 2

I agree it is about time Leonard acted more like a man. I would have left thanksgiving if I was Leonard and Zack was coming over. Unfortunately for Leonard Penny appreciates him most when he is gone. The best thing he could have done is walk out and say give me a call if/when it is fixed. Leonard did not need to subject himself to Zack's presence.

I don't think he needs to jump into another relationship but I think this one needs a break. He needs to get his head into his work for a while. Do some stuff with Raj.

I agree with what you said about Lorre and the original "Penny" but I don't watch Mom.

I'm glad you brought up the point "If she is si committment phobic, why would she even play marry anyone?" Leonard should be asking that question!

The box thing proves nothing. Apparently Penny really does not know what she is doing. She could save those things because she is pinning or because he was a conquest and she likes to make fun of him. Saving a negative pregnancy test says more the latter. She could have been saving stuff because she is a packrat.

With respect. What's wrong with fixing problems as they arise and standing your ground as a mannish response? Running off in a huff ain't so manly. He has thrown himself in his work already while at sea, it makes no sense to do it again. Why avoid the issue. They don't need to take a break. An act from four years ago that only hurt feelings for a day and is only notional in effect and was fixed as soon as possible by the remorseful party doesn't need a punitive action. Penny and Leonard have to work things out NOW, not kick the can down the road by taking a leave of absence.. I don't get the marriage phobia and I thought this might explain it but it may make her see less phobic because, hey, she was married and it didn't hurt, so practice makes perfect and it won't hurt to do it again. And Leonard stuck around anyway, so she can feel even less threatened. The box means a lot because she says it does. And I want this to end happy. A break is ludicrous a third time. They wanted this thing, they need to work to make it work. And that's funnier than breaking up. :)

Exactly. This whole plot wasn't really a big deal. It's a marriage on paper, but not in her heart. It ended very well for the two, so where is all that "they should take a break-nonsense" coming from? I think S7 proves a lot of love. Of course they have little fights, like in 7.03 and 7.04, but they forgot about it. You can't have a relationship without little fights. Just look at Shamy or Howardette, it's the same there.

I don't like it how anybody is blaming Penny for what she did and picture Leonard as the innocent one. Penny made mistakes, that's for sure. But Leonard also did. So could you guys please calm down? They are fine now and they don't need a break or sex with Alex, what's going on with you?

Since Leonard and Penny have never been able to talk with each other about what marriage would actually mean to them I think Penny making a mockery of marriage is a big deal. Leonard is waiting around for her to propose yet even if he gets one he is not going to be able to know what she really means by it. You have two people with very different backgrounds and have next to nothing in common and one who is resident about talking about their future.

I agree Leonard does not need to complicate his life with more relationships but I do think he needs some space and Penny needs some space so that she can figure out what she wants. This couple is all into physical intimacy without having any clue as to where they are going. This is problematic. Just as it is problematic when the roles are more traditional rather than reversed. If the show were on the other foot Penny and everyone else would be calling Leonard a jerk.

Did the report anywhere say Penny was drunk while getting married??... I don't think so.... correct me if I am wrong...

The writers clearly love to shower all affection and sympathy to the undeserving Sheldon while rest of all are shown none most of the times...

it would have been a lot better if Penny showed 10% of patience she shows when she is dealing with Sheldon or Amy towards Leonard....

I mean one wrong thing from Leonard she goes ballistic at him......and even when she is wrong yet she is mad at him...for pushing it.......and the fact that Leonard apologizes makes him pathetic

wait a sec.... this stuff is not new... this is what always happens of TBBT.... oh cow.......this is normal....expected stuff......

and before some you say she did not do it to hurt leonard blah blah blah....take a look at the episode where leonard re-writes penny's papers...it was clear what his intention was.... he genuinely wanted to help her but did not know how to....hell he even asked sheldon for help...which was useless because sheldon was solely concerned about himself......so he did what he thought was best........but what he gets at the end is being mocked by penny for getting a grade which was entirely because of amy and bernie.... 

she also says "if you don't want to be dating someone who is only waitress"...some thing along that lines......yet few episodes back she was the was who wanted to be break up with for simply no reason........and leonard submissively does'nt say anything after her comment and she goes back to her ways with leonard...

You are wrong. It pretty much says she was drunk when she thought she was 'tipping' a cow.

PENNY- Well, I clearly remember doing it.

LEONARD- Were you drunk?

PENNY- I was 16 in Nebraska. What do you think?

LEONARD- I think you’re the one who fell over.

PENNY- That would explain why the chickens and horses were also on their side.

And that she was drunk when she got married.

PENNY- You know, you can have a great Thanksgiving anywhere. One year, Zack and I went to Vegas for Thanksgiving. It was great. We gambled, when to one of those cheesy wedding chapels, had a great turkey dinner, which was surprising considering it was at a strip club.

Leonard looks uneasy and walks over with his broccoli

LEONARD- A wedding chapel? What were you doing there?

PENNY- You know, just one of those fake weddings.

LEONARD- Penny, those are real.

PENNY- No, they’re not.

LEONARD- Yes, they are.

PENNY- They aren’t real!

SHAMY- Yes, they’re real.

PENNY- It didn’t seem real.

SHELDON- It’s probably redundant to ask, but at any point did it look like Las Vegas was on its side?

Think about it,  being drunk is the ONLY excuse for thinking it wasn't a real wedding (not to mention forgetting about it for three plus years). Second, it doesn't seem likely that Penny would go to a strip club with Zac if she wasn't drunk.

• Like 1

With respect. What's wrong with fixing problems as they arise and standing your ground as a mannish response? Running off in a huff ain't so manly. He has thrown himself in his work already while at sea, it makes no sense to do it again. Why avoid the issue. They don't need to take a break. An act from four years ago that only hurt feelings for a day and is only notional in effect and was fixed as soon as possible by the remorseful party doesn't need a punitive action. Penny and Leonard have to work things out NOW, not kick the can down the road by taking a leave of absence.. I don't get the marriage phobia and I thought this might explain it but it may make her see less phobic because, hey, she was married and it didn't hurt, so practice makes perfect and it won't hurt to do it again. And Leonard stuck around anyway, so she can feel even less threatened. The box means a lot because she says it does. And I want this to end happy. A break is ludicrous a third time. They wanted this thing, they need to work to make it work. And that's funnier than breaking up. :)

Leonard has to start to realize that he can't fix Penny and all her problems. She has to do that. So I don't think he should have been printing the papers for her. Leonard does not need to face Zack. This is a problem from years ago and is not an issue between Leonard and Zack. Penny needs space to deal with Zack on her own. Least of all Leonard does not to deal with this issue in front of his friends. If he could not stop obsessing over it he needed to get out of there and not make a fool out of himself. Penny thinks better when he is away anyway. It is not like he has to worry that she wants to be with Zack.

Why Penny could not have the decency to meet Zack away from the house is beyond me. This is a comedy but it is supposed to be about human people.

Decency? She getting it out of the way as soon as possible, just like Leonard wanted. Nothing is open on Thanksgiving, its just some papers, what a waste of time and gas it would be to meet somewhere else in the middle of a holiday function.

• Like 1

Leonard has to start to realize that he can't fix Penny and all her problems. She has to do that. So I don't think he should have been printing the papers for her. Leonard does not need to face Zack. This is a problem from years ago and is not an issue between Leonard and Zack. Penny needs space to deal with Zack on her own. Least of all Leonard does not to deal with this issue in front of his friends. If he could not stop obsessing over it he needed to get out of there and not make a fool out of himself. Penny thinks better when he is away anyway. It is not like he has to worry that she wants to be with Zack.

Why Penny could not have the decency to meet Zack away from the house is beyond me. This is a comedy but it is supposed to be about human people.

So Leonard printed some papers for her. Big deal. My 12 year old could of done that. Has Leonard fixed all his problems? His mother for example. If Zack was Kurt I see your point. It seems to me his friends are Penny's friends so I'm missing that logic. I'm not sure how Leonard looks like the fool here. It appears Penny was the fool. She also looks even more foolish having Zack show up at the house.

Decency? She getting it out of the way as soon as possible, just like Leonard wanted. Nothing is open on Thanksgiving, its just some papers, what a waste of time and gas it would be to meet somewhere else in the middle of a holiday function.

Exactly

The point of her having Zack come over is to deal with it right away, as Leonard kept insisting.  And so that Zack can say all of his dumbbell stuff about "What about the children?" and all that, and so that he can inappropriately invite himself to dinner.

THAT's comedy.

Nothing is open on Thanksgiving?  Where I live restaurants and retail all stay open.

Having Zack sign a paper does not take care of it. That's just step #1 and since the government offices will be closed that could wait for another day. The only reason to invite Zack over would be to avoid having to talk about it. Penny/Leonard are on very shaky ground.

Why invite someone neither Howard or his mother has invited? It would make more sense to excuse oneself or wait for the next day.

Nothing is open on Thanksgiving?  Where I live restaurants and retail all stay open.

Having Zack sign a paper does not take care of it. That's just step #1 and since the government offices will be closed that could wait for another day. The only reason to invite Zack over would be to avoid having to talk about it. Penny/Leonard are on very shaky ground.

Why invite someone neither Howard or his mother has invited? It would make more sense to excuse oneself or wait for the next day.

Since this isn't a serious reality show nor a drama, the point of inviting Zack over was A) to shut Leonard up about "getting it taken care of" (Penny's motivation), and B ) so that Zack could make a funny appearance in the episode (writers' motivation.)

I don't see how any of this translates into L&P being on shaky ground.  And of course they'd have to file the papers, etc., but getting Zack to sign was step one and probably all Penny needed (in TV land) to get the ball rolling.  And the fact that she couldn't do anything official that day speaks more to Leonard's pestering than it does to Penny having any issues.

But the point in doing it this way was for the comedic aspect of having Zack show up and stay.  Since this isn't a drama and L&P aren't going to split up, they can have it play out this way.

• Like 1

This is not a show which does consequences. Most of the drama that "has to happen," such as Leonard's break ups with Priya or Dr. Stephanie, happens off-camera. They really don't want to show us any of that. They allow us to make an educated guess how all that goes down. Other problems are swept under the rug all the time because this is a feel-good comedy, not a drama.

For the most part, I'm cool with that. I have turned the other cheek when they're come close to the line on some issues. I fully understand that this marriage to Zack nonsense was an excuse to bring Zack back (which I don't argue with. He is the best thing about this episode) and perhaps toss one tiny line as hope to Lenny shippers that a proposal will happen this season. (I will be shocked if that happens. Perhaps something more like a promise to propose soon.)

That said - Penny getting married to Zack while drunk and then not even realizing she did it is, as mentioned, completely OOC. You have to basically sum it up as the writers bending her character way too far for the sake of the plot, and stick your fingers in your ears and go "lalalalalala" in order to skim by it. If you decide not to chalk it up to sloppy writing, and you decide to take it IC, then it's impossible not to look at it as really disturbing behavior on Penny's part, and also a problem that really should not go away so quickly. It's ridiculous that she has all of these horrible stories of things she's done while drunk, and yet the show doesn't treat her drinking as a genuine problem. It's a joke - and to anyone out there with a drinking problem or who deals with people who do, alcoholism is just not all that funny. At least not how it's being treated here. It's a joke that's been taken way too far with this particular storyline, and I have serious doubts that you can wiggle out of it so easily.

I mean, annulling your drunk ass marriage the next day, sure. Trying to annul it 4 years later? Really, BOTH OF YOU didn't realize you got married, and it only came to one of you one evening 4 years later? I don't see an easy annulment coming to a 4 year marriage on the grounds of "too drunk to know any better."

But this is a sitcom. The problem that the show is currently facing is that it relies on people saying, "Well, but this is a sitcom" way too often lately. And this particular case, where Penny is so dumb, so drunk, and so awful to Leonard, I'm not willing to cut them the "but this is a sitcom" slack. Flat out, it's pure and utter twaddle.

couldn't agree more. I believe the writers are running out of ideas and introducing ridiculous plot lines. We will probably see more of this in S7 and doesn't leave me with much confidence for S8.

But he printed out the paperwork and Penny got Zack to come over to sign. It's what we wanted. Why would Leonard leave? IT would give him and the others more time to ridicule Zack and Penny. 

Ironically Kaley and her fiancee had a fake wedding ceremony on the show. Its on youtube.

and how tacky was that.

I agree that Leonard and Penny ended the episode on a higher note, but I find it really telling how many people here think Penny getting married was no big deal and just a simple mistake like she misspelled a word or did some bad arithmetic. She got married. That's not a simple mistake that anyone would make. To those who think too big of a deal is being made I would ask how many people they know went to Vegas (probably got drunk) and ended up in a marriage chapel (fame or real). As much as I love and feel bad for Penny she deserves a lot of criticism for her past behavior. It isn't youthful exuberance. It's not the simple mistakes of youth. She led a reckless youth from everything we know. Yes she's grown and yes she's better now but her past is her past and no sugar coating changes that and she has to face the consequences for it. I think she has been handling it fairly well too. I get why she got mad at Leonard for pushing it. Sometimes when you know you screwed up the last thing you want is people rubbing it in. I get that. If people think I am being too hard I. Penny and letting Leonard slide then I apologize. Leonard is no saint and has made his share of mistakes.

Since this isn't a serious reality show nor a drama, the point of inviting Zack over was A) to shut Leonard up about "getting it taken care of" (Penny's motivation), and B ) so that Zack could make a funny appearance in the episode (writers' motivation.)

I don't see how any of this translates into L&P being on shaky ground.  And of course they'd have to file the papers, etc., but getting Zack to sign was step one and probably all Penny needed (in TV land) to get the ball rolling.  And the fact that she couldn't do anything official that day speaks more to Leonard's pestering than it does to Penny having any issues.

But the point in doing it this way was for the comedic aspect of having Zack show up and stay.  Since this isn't a drama and L&P aren't going to split up, they can have it play out this way.

The biggest issue I have with taping reports is most of the comedic aspects of the show get lost and what is left is a somewhat lame story. This is the second time I have been sucked into reading a taping report.

As far as P/L being on shaky ground that has been my thinking for a long time. I was kind of getting with the spirit of their relationship after s6e24 but basically they have nothing in common and Penny can't talk about her feelings most of the time and Leonard feels the need to explore her feelings. They are a poorly matched couple except they apparently are good in bed together. That's not enough.

Edited by djsurrey

The biggest issue I have with taping reports is most of the comedic aspects of the show get lost and what is left is a somewhat lame story. This is the second time I have been sucked into reading a taping report.

People take time out of their lives to give us the general feel of what is happening in the episode, they dont have to do this for us. We cant and shouldnt expect them to remember every single detail. So if you dont like the somewhat lame story that is given through taping reports, stop reading them.

• Like 3

People take time out of their lives to give us the general feel of what is happening in the episode, they dont have to do this for us. We cant and shouldnt expect them to remember every single detail. So if you dont like the somewhat lame story that is given through taping reports, stop reading them.

Yes exactly, I should not read them. No disrespect to the people who write the reports but so much of the richness of the show is in the facial expressions and delivery and I just don't have that good of an imagination.

I think the reason why they writing it off as a simple mistake is because neither party were even remotely aware of what was going on. That and because it is a sitcom, and this is a storyline a lot of shows explore. From what I've seen, it will probably never be brought up again or we'll come to find out they never signed a marriage license (I honestly can't imagine they did).

I don't see Penny as a married woman now, and I won't see her a a divorcee afterwards. Their union is literally being annulled, meaning it was literally never valid to begin with. It didn't impact their lives before and it won't afterwards. If Leonard can't get over it, maybe he should think about the fact that he spent their time apart cheating on Priya, who he claimed to love and want to marry (something that would make me doubtful if I were Penny) because that is much more telling than a accidental wedding to a good-natured goofball.

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 1

I agree that Leonard and Penny ended the episode on a higher note, but I find it really telling how many people here think Penny getting married was no big deal and just a simple mistake like she misspelled a word or did some bad arithmetic. She got married. That's not a simple mistake that anyone would make. To those who think too big of a deal is being made I would ask how many people they know went to Vegas (probably got drunk) and ended up in a marriage chapel (fame or real). As much as I love and feel bad for Penny she deserves a lot of criticism for her past behavior. It isn't youthful exuberance. It's not the simple mistakes of youth. She led a reckless youth from everything we know. Yes she's grown and yes she's better now but her past is her past and no sugar coating changes that and she has to face the consequences for it. I think she has been handling it fairly well too. I get why she got mad at Leonard for pushing it. Sometimes when you know you screwed up the last thing you want is people rubbing it in. I get that. If people think I am being too hard I. Penny and letting Leonard slide then I apologize. Leonard is no saint and has made his share of mistakes.

The important aspect of Penny's "marriage" is that she thought she was just having a lark--like the Princess Makeover she had done at Disneyland.  I'm sure she didn't think it made her a real princess.  In the same context, if she didn't think she was really getting married--thought it was some fake "pretend" thing that was fun to do as part of her crazy time in Vegas with a goofy date--then she was not, in her mind, doing something truly serious.

This is not the same as the singer--who was it? Brittney Spears or whoever?--who married some boyfriend for 24 hours or whatever.  That was a stupid whim, but a real intention to get married, even if she thought better of it in the light of day.

This was essentially the opposite.  I mentioned somewhere else, that I have a friend who staged a fake marriage to her kinda-sorta boyfriend when we were in high school.  We had bridesmaids and groomsmen (or one of each, anyway), and she wore some kind of veil or whatever.  We were goofing around.

In the same way, I'm sure Penny thought she was goofing around, not entering into a real marriage.

She obviously didn't go home and live with Zack as his wife or anything.

If she can be criticized for a mistake she made 4 years ago--and the mistake was not about entering into a quickie marriage, but the mistake was in confusing fake and real--then what about the mistakes Leonard made, like when he wanted to have his cake (Priya) and eat it, too, (Comic store girl).  Shouldn't that intended attempt at infidelity be held against him?

Hopefully not, even though he only managed to avoid going through with it because that girl kicked him out.

Likewise, Penny didn't even realize she's done something wrong.  She thought she'd played some kind of game and only now found out that it wasn't a game.

So, once she finds out it was real, she does feel bad--but the others harping on it doesn't help, and then Leonard pushing and pushing is what aggravates her.

Leonard says that he's the victim, but in reality, he's not, at least, not at Penny's hand, since she didn't do anything to purposefully harm him.  She didn't "marry" Zack to hurt Leonard, nor even to show love for Zack.  She didn't think she was doing anything to anyone--just getting what she thought was like those princess makeovers--pretend to be a bride, but without the consequences of actually being married.

That it was real doesn't change her innocent intent, so Leonard can't really claim to be a victim, IMO.

And Leonard brought her anger on himself by harping on it and finding the papers, as if he didn't trust her to get it taken care of.

Anyway, I still think it's funny, and especially once Zack shows up.

• Like 1