Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

Just reading the bits and pieces we are getting from the Spoiler thread about the Christmas episode, the gang imagines their life without Sheldon. Having only few random details, one cannot really make a judgement but I have to admit I'm feeling some fondness for last years episode when Santa shot Sheldon with the cannon.

As for Leonard being a victim, I really don't think he was but his hurt at the situation with Penny and Zack shouldn't be minimized. He is devoted to Penny and his proposals (keep in mind that in episode 6.1 he reflected on his proposal during coitus stating something to the effect 'that some people would think it's romantic' -- although he got resoundly thumped for his effort, he clearly saw it as a lovely gesture. His second proposal on VD was completely a reflexive response as he was trying to minimize Penny's obvious hurt at her ex-boyfriend and ex-friend situation) keep getting painfully kaboshed. Sheldon said it rightly in the car. Even though she was drunk and thought it was play-acting, clearly someone in Vegas said, 'hey, let's get married! and there was happy 'OK! Let's do it! And oooh! Can we get Elvis to marry us?!' Even though clearly not in the right mind, something like that, has got to hurt. Badly.

• Like 9

Just reading the bits and pieces we are getting from the Spoiler thread about the Christmas episode, the gang imagines their life without Sheldon. Having only few random details, one cannot really make a judgement but I have to admit I'm feeling some fondness for last years episode when Santa shot Sheldon with the cannon.

As for Leonard being a victim, I really don't think he was but his hurt at the situation with Penny and Zack shouldn't be minimized. He is devoted to Penny and his proposals (keep in mind that in episode 6.1 he reflected on his proposal during coitus stating something to the effect 'that some people would think it's romantic' -- although he got resoundly thumped for his effort, he clearly saw it as a lovely gesture. His second proposal on VD was completely a reflexive response as he was trying to minimize Penny's obvious hurt at her ex-boyfriend and ex-friend situation) keep getting painfully kaboshed. Sheldon said it rightly in the car. Even though she was drunk and thought it was play-acting, clearly someone in Vegas said, 'hey, let's get married! and there was happy 'OK! Let's do it! And oooh! Can we get Elvis to marry us?!' Even though clearly not in the right mind, something like that, has got to hurt. Badly.

I agree. Leonard is not a victim, but clearly he was hurt. Your point about Penny being so phobic of his proposals while thinking a fake marriage with Zack would be a great goof is one of the essentials of this episode. Basically, Penny still has some explaining to do to Leonard. Stating you have commitment issues only goes so far. At some point she needs to address these issues and resolve them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A couple of things about the last episode:

1.  There is no confirmation that Penny and Zack were drunk but you do know they both knew what they were doing, because they both remembered everything about it, even that the minister was Elvis.  The only question is whether they both thought it was fake, well Penny did, I'm not sure if Zack knew the difference.

2.  The writers made it clear to Penny that she hurt Leonard, because they had Sheldon tell her why Leonard was upset, she supposely has commitment issues but has no problem marrying Zack, doesn't matter if it is real or not.

3.  Penny who seemed to have compassion for Leonard's feelings just a couple of episodes before when she bugged him about his mother's book, doesn't seem to have that same compassion anymore, this seems more like the VD episode, it is about her and her feelings.  That begs two questions:

a.  Did the writers intend this, because this shows a degredation in their relationship if Penny is reverting to her previous feelings (I think unlikely)

b.  The writers are showing us that there is still no consistency in Penny yet and therefore the relationship, so anything can happen in the future, even the dreaded breakup.  (I think this is more logical)

4.  The end was just a quick, see Penny and Leonard are fine scene and really didn't go with the previous scene where they were entirely not fine and did have not transition between the scenes.  This tells me the writers didn't care, they got the drama and conflict they wanted from Penny and Leonard, then just gave us a stupid last scene to make everything good.  That tells me they are not done screwing with Lenny.

Anyway that is my opinion and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, I know that so keep the flames low.

• Like 1

1.  There is no confirmation that Penny and Zack were drunk but you do know they both knew what they were doing, because they both remembered everything about it, even that the minister was Elvis.  The only question is whether they both thought it was fake, well Penny did, I'm not sure if Zack knew the difference.

2.  The writers made it clear to Penny that she hurt Leonard, because they had Sheldon tell her why Leonard was upset, she supposely has commitment issues but has no problem marrying Zack, doesn't matter if it is real or not.

3.  Penny who seemed to have compassion for Leonard's feelings just a couple of episodes before when she bugged him about his mother's book, doesn't seem to have that same compassion anymore, this seems more like the VD episode, it is about her and her feelings.  That begs two questions:

a.  Did the writers intend this, because this shows a degredation in their relationship if Penny is reverting to her previous feelings (I think unlikely)

b.  The writers are showing us that there is still no consistency in Penny yet and therefore the relationship, so anything can happen in the future, even the dreaded breakup.  (I think this is more logical)

4.  The end was just a quick, see Penny and Leonard are fine scene and really didn't go with the previous scene where they were entirely not fine and did have not transition between the scenes.  This tells me the writers didn't care, they got the drama and conflict they wanted from Penny and Leonard, then just gave us a stupid last scene to make everything good.  That tells me they are not done screwing with Lenny.

Anyway that is my opinion and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, I know that so keep the flames low.

1. Yes, there was. Sheldon asked if Vegas was on its side, and Penny's facial expression obviously confirmed it. Just because they weren't at the point of blacking out doesn't mean they weren't intoxicated. As for Zach. I'm guessing he didn't know either since he stated that Penny told them they were married, and he just accepted it as always being the truth because he's too dumb to do anything else. Plus, we can go off of other episodes and note that Zach never referred to her as his wife when they were together, something he presumably would have done if he knew it were real. 

2. The fact that she thought it was fake changes everything, I'm not sure what people don't get about that. I certainly didn't consider myself married or committed to the little boy I played house with when I was a child, because I knew it was pretend just like Penny thought it was. She'd probably do the same thing with Leonard under those circumstances, they certainly get a little crazy after drinking together. 

3. Not wanting to hear someone complain about the same thing over and over again doesn't mean you have no regard for their feelings. There was nothing to be done about it at present to be done about it because of the holiday, so why not enjoy the holiday? She ever invited Zach over to sign them right away to placate Leonard, and was met with more grief. No one was happy to be in the situation, but he was making it worse and he knew it. That said, the playfulness between them in the final scene made it blatantly obvious that it won't be lead to a break-up. They both apologized, it'll be as if the marriage never happened in the eyes of the law, everyone's happy. So I'd say it's done. You're just taking it to the extreme as per usual. 

4. It was wrapped up quickly because its a sitcom, and that's what they do. It doesn't sound like there's going to be any mention of it in the upcoming episodes, so it's probably over, like it usually is in situational comedies such as this one. At worst, I'd say it'll be brought up in passing jest like Penny and Raj's almost hook-up or Leonard's "countless proposals". 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 3

1. Yes, there was. Sheldon asked if Vegas was on its side, and Penny's facial expression obviously confirmed it. Just because they weren't at the point of blacking out doesn't mean they weren't intoxicated. As for Zach. I'm guessing he didn't know either since he stated that Penny told them they were married, and he just accepted it as always being the truth because he's too dumb to do anything else. Plus, we can go off of other episodes and note that Zach never referred to her as his wife when they were together, something he presumably would have done if he knew it were real. 

2. The fact that she thought it was fake changes everything, I'm not sure what people don't get about that. I certainly didn't consider myself married or committed to the little boy I played house with when I was a child, because I knew it was pretend just like Penny thought it was. She'd probably do the same thing with Leonard under those circumstances, they certainly get a little crazy after drinking together. 

3. Not wanting to hear someone complain about the same thing over and over again doesn't mean you have no regard for their feelings. There was nothing to be done about it at present to be done about it because of the holiday, so why not enjoy the holiday? She ever invited Zach over to sign them right away to placate Leonard, and was met with more grief. No one was happy to be in the situation, but he was making it worse and he knew it. That said, the playfulness between them in the final scene made it blatantly obvious that it won't be lead to a break-up. They both apologized, it'll be as if the marriage never happened in the eyes of the law, everyone's happy. So I'd say it's done. You're just taking it to the extreme as per usual. 

4. It was wrapped up quickly because its a sitcom, and that's what they do. It doesn't sound like there's going to be any mention of it in the upcoming episodes, so it's probably over, like it usually is in situational comedies such as this one. At worst, I'd say it'll be brought up in passing jest like Penny and Raj's almost hook-up or Leonard's "countless proposals".

Leonard if I remember correctly said they could resolve this as soon as they go home after downloading the papers to Penny...he never said they had to do it there and then...

and I don't think he knew he was making things worse..he probably thought he was trying to help...that's why he could not understand why Penny was mad at him at that moment....

• Like 2

Leonard if I remember correctly said they could resolve this as soon as they go home after downloading the papers to Penny...he never said they had to do it there and then...

and I don't think he knew he was making things worse..he probably thought he was trying to help...that's why he could not understand why Penny was mad at him at that moment....

He might have said that, but he continued badgering her about even though she asked him to stop (as did the people trying to watch the game and enjoy Thanksgiving), so I can logically see why she made the decision to invite him over. He clearly wanted it done ASAP, and she tried to make that happen. And he had to know that he wasn't being helpful, he'd been asked to stop more than once and he still continued on.Of course, this was a set up to bring Zach to Thanksgiving dinner, which was the funniest part of the episode. Next to Leonard and Penny kissing and making up of course.

• Like 1

I have a slightly different take probably closer to Daisy. They were drunk. Not Ross and Rachel drunk but drunk enough to impair Penny's better judgment. Zack it didn't matter. In the car Leonard was upset but wasn't going to make a scene. Sheldon said what others were thinking in regards to the proposals and in reality spoke on Leonard's behalf. His Mom's book and this episode aren't the same. It was easy for Penny to make up for that. The wedding was not. While she admitted to screwing up marrying Zack the one thing she can't handle is looking dumb in front of Leonard. Everyone else she doesn't care. That's why she didn't seem to have any compassion for Leonard. Just like Leonard didn't seem to notice how hard it was for her. In regards to consistency that is how they have always been. The ending,while quick and probably somewhat unrealistic,resolved the issues . Both Leonard and Penny were happy by the end so that's why you got that last scene.
  • Like 1

He might have said that, but he continued badgering her about even though she asked him to stop (as did the people trying to watch the game and enjoy Thanksgiving), so I can logically see why she made the decision to invite him over. He clearly wanted it done ASAP, and she tried to make that happen. And he had to know that he wasn't being helpful, he'd been asked to stop more than once and he still continued on.Of course, this was a set up to bring Zach to Thanksgiving dinner, which was the funniest part of the episode. Next to Leonard and Penny kissing and making up of course.

after he said that , she stormed off to call Zack...not sure I saw more badgering..she could have simply said ok...

same with Penny in Valentine episode , she was asked to stop more than once(and enjoy their date).....when someone is in that mood/zone...u just cannot help yourself ...they keep on thinking they are the victims...

and of course this was a set-up....it always is...

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

I've been saying that Penny was taking her frustration at her situation and she knew it was her fault.  So, it was interesting to me that last night, on our local channel, they showed The Financial Permeability(TFP).   In it, Penny was acting exactly as she was acting in the The Thanksgiving Decoupling (TTD), except it was toward Sheldon.  In TFP, she knew she was wrong, knew she had screwed up, and she was taking it out on the person who was helping her, Sheldon.   Very similar to the way she acted toward Leonard in TTD.  While Leonard did push a bit, it was no where near as much as Penny made it out to be.  In TTD, she knew she screwed up, knew she had hurt Leonard, she was just lashing out at Leonard, who kept reminding her of it (not constantly, but he did keep talking about it).   It appears that Penny lashes out as a defense mechanism, not just at Leonard, but at those who helped her or care for her.  

• Like 8

Penny was being super defensive because she felt really stupid about what happened. I watched the episode and Leonard was hardly pestering her to the level she was saying he was, and really, even if he was, she would have been more than deserving of it given how majorly she gaffed here. Also lets not kid ourselves on this either, had the shoe been on the other foot she would have flipped out on him and behaved way more obnoxious towards him than he did to her.

As for my thoughts on the Christmas spoilers

Penny imagining dating a swagged out Stuart makes sense given that without Sheldon being at the apartment first that she most likely would never have met Leonard.

You have to keep in mind that Stuart is a Leonard-surrogate and pretty much always has been. I see some fans are wondering why she doesn't just imagine herself with him regardless of Sheldon, but that misses the whole point of the exercise. Sheldon is and continues to be very much part of the package deal when it comes to her relationship with Leonard and without Sheldon in the picture...Leonard goes away right with it.

But when you think about it carefully, this actually supports L/P. It shows you how much Penny now envisions Leonard as her ideal mate that her imagination has to put herself together with the closest thing to him that she can think of...which is Stuart but in order to make that more appealing because he's not Leonard she has to "swag him up" in her imagination.

Edited by DPK
  • Like 6

Actually, he said the papers were downloaded and they could print them out tomorrow at home to finish it (after she asked him how to fix it in the car).  It was done for the day as far as Leonard was concerned.  She is the one who kept it going by inviting Zack over.

• Like 3

Actually, he said the papers were downloaded and they could print them out tomorrow at home to finish it (after she asked him how to fix it in the car).  It was done for the day as far as Leonard was concerned.  She is the one who kept it going by inviting Zack over.

I posted this more than once days ago but it didn't make any difference.   I feel Leonard was in a no win situation and as I stated days ago if it was Leonard that fake/real married Priya or some other woman Penny would have went ballistic and so would some of the fans.  

• Like 4

Penny was being super defensive because she felt really stupid about what happened. I watched the episode and Leonard was hardly pestering her to the level she was saying he was, and really, even if he was, she would have been more than deserving of it given how majorly she gaffed here. Also lets not kid ourselves on this either, had the shoe been on the other foot she would have flipped out on him and behaved way more obnoxious towards him than he did to her.

Not sure I remember what mistake Penny made in Financial Permeability other than loaning money to her unreliable ex-boyfriend. As I recall she was merely misinterpreting Sheldon's remarks as him trying to make her feel bad, which is reasonable considering that he does that with everything else. Leonard even understood why she thought that way, as loaning her the money seems to be the only thing he's not obscenely anal-retentive about. 

No one deserves to have their mistakes rubbed in their face. He continued on long after she told him to drop it, and had to deal with her so-called friends ridiculing her on top of it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that would make someone defensive. 

It was done for the day as far as Leonard was concerned. 

If he wanted it to be done for the day he should have stopped, especially after being asked by more than one person to do so. 

Edited by DaisyJane

I've been saying that Penny was taking her frustration at her situation and she knew it was her fault.  So, it was interesting to me that last night, on our local channel, they showed The Financial Permeability(TFP).   In it, Penny was acting exactly as she was acting in the The Thanksgiving Decoupling (TTD), except it was toward Sheldon.  In TFP, she knew she was wrong, knew she had screwed up, and she was taking it out on the person who was helping her, Sheldon.   Very similar to the way she acted toward Leonard in TTD.  While Leonard did push a bit, it was no where near as much as Penny made it out to be.  In TTD, she knew she screwed up, knew she had hurt Leonard, she was just lashing out at Leonard, who kept reminding her of it (not constantly, but he did keep talking about it).   It appears that Penny lashes out as a defense mechanism, not just at Leonard, but at those who helped her or care for her.  

who made her feel guilty ??

Actually, he said the papers were downloaded and they could print them out tomorrow at home to finish it (after she asked him how to fix it in the car). It was done for the day as far as Leonard was concerned. She is the one who kept it going by inviting Zack over.

Because she felt terrible she hurt Leonard.

She was feeling embarrassed for being fooled (for whatever reason) but what really upset her was that she knew what Sheldon said to her in the car was true. She felt very bad for hurting the man she really loved. However, she has a hard time showing her feelings and instead she built a defensive wall and lashed out at the very person she cared the most about and knew she hurt. Therefore she wanted to take care of it as soon as humanly possible! That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :)

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 2

Not sure I remember what mistake Penny made in Financial Permeability other than loaning money to her unreliable ex-boyfriend. As I recall she was merely misinterpreting Sheldon's remarks as him trying to make her feel bad, which is reasonable considering that he does that with everything else. Leonard even understood why she thought that way, as loaning her the money seems to be the only thing he's not obscenely anal-retentive about. 

No one deserves to have their mistakes rubbed in their face. He continued on long after she told him to drop it, and had to deal with her so-called friends ridiculing her on top of it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that would make someone defensive. 

If he wanted it to be done for the day he should have stopped, especially after being asked by more than one person to do so.

Penny got mad at Sheldon for no reason in Financial permeability. she was embarrassed by needing to borrow money. Misinterpreted what Sheldon said is a real stretch IMO. In regards to last weeks show I get what your saying about having your mistakes rubbed in their face.I love Penny but again she caused her own problem here. As you said it doesn't take a genius to figure out what would make someone defensive. But by the same token it doesn't take a genius to figure out weddings are real in Vegas. No Vegas wedding no problem with Leonard.

Herself.

nah...that's not what I was going for... I was trying to say she might be lashing out on someone who tries to make her feel guilty...

Anyway I thought Sheldon cruel joke about Penny commencing her marriage in the car was pretty poor ... and it seems from the audience reaction that most of them did not like it...

I would have been kicking butt if this argument was done in my native language...english sucks... :p

Edited by vasu

But by the same token it doesn't take a genius to figure out weddings are real in Vegas. 

http://lasvegasinsideout.com/cosmopolitian/2012/2/6/have-a-fake-wedding-on-the-strip.html

Been a long time since I saw TFP so I can't argue whether or not it was a stretch for Penny to interpret what Sheldon was saying as a personal attack or not, but the guy practically got a Ph.D in tearing people down, so I can imagine why Penny would think that the loan came with strings attached. 

Edited by DaisyJane

http://lasvegasinsideout.com/cosmopolitian/2012/2/6/have-a-fake-wedding-on-the-strip.html

Been a long time since I saw TFP so I can't argue whether or not it was a stretch for Penny to interpret what Sheldon was saying as a personal attack or not, but the guy practically got a Ph.D in tearing people down, so I can imagine why Penny would think that the loan came with strings attached.

You have a point but back in season 2 he wasn't as bad as he is now. Unfortunately that fake wedding wasn't open in theory 3 years ago but I have heard there are other places too. But shouldn't she be ridiculed she married Zack. He couldn't spell PHD. LOL

Penny got mad at Sheldon for no reason in Financial permeability. she was embarrassed by needing to borrow money. Misinterpreted what Sheldon said is a real stretch IMO. In regards to last weeks show I get what your saying about having your mistakes rubbed in their face.I love Penny but again she caused her own problem here. As you said it doesn't take a genius to figure out what would make someone defensive. But by the same token it doesn't take a genius to figure out weddings are real in Vegas. No Vegas wedding no problem with Leonard.

Except that it has been proven by more then one person within this thread that there are in fact FAKE wedding serimonies offered in Las Vegas. AND you can have them officiated by a FAKE Elvis. The real Elvis would cost way to much money! :)

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 1

Except that it has been proven by more then one person within this thread that there are in fact FAKE wedding serimonies offered in Las Vegas. AND you can have them officiated by a FAKE Elvis. The real Elvis would cost way to much money! :)

The way though Penny looked when the three were explaining it to her it gave the impression that she thought no weddings in Vegas were real. I guessed she should have asked that before saying I do.
  • Like 1

Not sure I remember what mistake Penny made in Financial Permeability other than loaning money to her unreliable ex-boyfriend. As I recall she was merely misinterpreting Sheldon's remarks as him trying to make her feel bad, which is reasonable considering that he does that with everything else.

Don't simply recall it, go back and watch it. Sheldon merely told her she had a package. She then got upset and got very defensive and acting as if she was defensive about ordering the beret. There was no way to misinterpret what Sheldon said:

Sheldon: Penny, you appear to have a package here.

Penny: Oh, thanks. This must be the beret I ordered. A couple of months ago. It was back-ordered. (it was obvious from her reaction here, she was embarrassed because she borrowed money, and had the back ordered beret arrive making it appear, so she thought, as if she used the borrowed money to buy it.)

Sheldon: Did you know the beret is an example of piece of women’s fashion adapted from male military uniforms? Another fascinating example is the epaulet.

Leonard: He’s not lying, he does find that fascinating. (note that neither Sheldon or Leonard mentioned money, Sheldon was explaining how a part of a military uniform became part of women's fashion and Leonard back Sheldon up.)

Penny: Okay, whatever. It’s not like I’m running up and down the streets just buying myself berets. I bought one, like, a month ago, and it was back-ordered, look, it finally arrived, all right?

Sheldon: All right.

Penny: Oh, my God, would you just get off my case?

I'll be more than happy to hear your explanation of how an indifferent "all right" can be misinterpreted as getting on her case, or her reaction to his explanation of the beret is anything other than  she is lashing out at Sheldon, as I pointed out.

Then, after dinner arrives: 

Sheldon: Oh, good. Dinner’s here.

Penny: Yes, dinner’s here, and I’m having some. I’m having takeout food. (Said very defensively and sarcastically and it should be pointed out that Howard and Raj (through whispering) were intimating that she was using her body to get food, something she reacted against, even though Howard and Raj and even Leonard at this point, didn't know about the borrowed money.)

Sheldon: Okay.

Penny: You’re damn right it’s okay. I’ve been having leftovers at the restaurant for like four days, and I wanted something different. So sue me. (again said defensively and sarcastically)

Sheldon: Forgive me, Penny, but that would be the very definition of a frivolous lawsuit. {Note it was after Sheldon said this, the one thing that can be considered saying something bad about her, that she calms down and and says:}

Penny: Sheldon, look, I will pay you back as soon as I can. You just have to give me more time.

Leonard: Oh, wait, you lent her money?

Sheldon: She needed money. Turning to Penny: You seem under pressure. Did I not lend you a sufficient amount? Because I can give you more. (all he offered was to give her more money if she needed that, yet she jumps on him)

Penny: Oh, you know, you would just love that, wouldn’t you? Yeah. You would just love to open up your little snake can and throw some money at the girl who can’t pay her bills. (this was said very aggressively and sarcastically.

Leonard: Where are you going?

Penny: Going home, where I won’t be interrogated like a criminal.(yeah, I'm also not sure how anything Sheldon said could be construed as interrogating her as a criminal. But the angry sarcastic reaction she demonstrates here, because she was defensive and embarrassed, fits very well here.)

She was simply being defensive about her situation. And it just doesn't have to be mistakes. That kind of defensive reaction occurs because of embarrassment, which she was.

Leonard even understood why she thought that way, as loaning her the money seems to be the only thing he's not obscenely anal-retentive about.

Actually, Leonard knew that she was lashing out at Sheldon. Leonard was explaining she didn't have to lash out or worry about it. For instance:

Leonard: Back in the pocket it goes. Look, you do understand that Sheldon really doesn’t care when he gets the money back. It’s actually one of the few idiosyncrasies that doesn’t make you want to, you know, kill him.

Penny: Yeah, well, that’s not really my big problem. {note she says that Sheldon lending her money isn't her big problem, so she shouldn't be worried about paying him back}

Leonard: So you’re a little behind on your bills. Everybody gets behind on their bills.

Penny: Yeah, I know, it’s just, this wasn’t the plan, it wasn’t supposed to go this way. (and here it is. She's upset (frustrated, angry, pick one) with the fact that he life hasn't turned out like she planned and has taken it out on Sheldon.

Ahhhh, that was my point. She was simply being defensive about her mistake and was embarrassed. I'm not sure why your using my quotes to say otherwise. 

Yeah, that's a lot easier said than done (and I'll also point out, not as funny). I'm one of the more laid back people I know, and I would have been even more upset by it then Leonard was. Were talking about a guy finding out the woman he loves is married, something unknown to him before. I'm not sure how anyone doesn't get upset, sarcastic or just shuts up about something like that. She screwed up badly, although it wasn't intentional. Leonard very understandably got upset and his reaction was to push. Penny was understandably upset about that and got even more defensive, lashing out at person causing her (even unintentionally) to be uncomfortable about her mistake. But also knowing that person wouldn't hurt her if she did lash out. They both reacted badly to a screwed up situation, they got over it.

Look, I'm not defending his actions. They caused even more problems. I'm also not defending hers, as her lashing out also caused more problems. But their reactions are very understandable considering the situation.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 9