Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Pitching in to say she wanted, and Leonard wanted, to make this horrible mistake go away at light speed. Penny didn't have a crystal ball back then and if she acted out getting married, maybe it was because her alternatives were looking dim and this made her feel better. The great thing is that they both pushed forwards and only a little sideways and not backwards at all. The key to the regret is that she didn't read the label on what she was buying and Zac/Zach/Zack just apparently couldn't read either.

Its a little extraordinary that they even got out the door to Howard's. Six plus bloodied years and they both found out that for three of them she was married? These guys were calm about it, in my book. It could have been much, much worse, except that they so patently did not want it to be.

• Like 4

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true Tensor.   The most consistent motif the writers have used with Penny is her insecurity about her intelligence and judgement. It pops up constantly in several episodes a season, starting with

Bullshit. My wife and I have OUR money. If money is budgeted for her to get clothes or for me to get clothes, neither one of us is giving the other money for clothes, we are using OUR money to get clo

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while tryi

Posted Images

^^^ wow. You had that all saved up. Where is Disgusted's bowing thingy. :)

And she helped solve the problem by fetching Zac/Zach/Zack. Could Leonard have done that as easily? This time she was half of the solution, maybe more. She swallowed her pride to get it done and was not saved by Leonard, who just googled.

Huzzah for Penny!

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

Now that we've spent the last week beating this horse, can we bury it? Or are we going to get out the paddles and keep going?

Until we get more concrete information on 7.11 I think this horse probably has a part or two of its body still twitching! :)

Now that we've spent the last week beating this horse, can we bury it? Or are we going to get out the paddles and keep going?

That's the best thing we can do. For me, this marriage mistake is done and no longer needs attention.

Look, I'm not defending his actions. They caused even more problems. I'm also not defending hers, as her lashing out also caused more problems. But their reactions are very understandable considering the situation.

Understandable, yes. Defensible, not so sure....

So true Tensor.

Penny, as written, knows that her relationship with Leonard is lopsided but not in the way Leonard thinks it is. Leonard provides her with both support and good judgement (most of the time) and she wants to be more to him then some ward who brings nothing to his life but problems to solve and sex.

First Off...     bowing-down-emoticon.gif

There just is not "one thing" you can point to explaining Leonard's attraction to Penny, other than her willingness to be worshiped.(most of the time) "The heart wants what the heart wants" doesn't cut it for me.

Penny needs to be "heroic" too. Its not a matter of the different "stations" in life, its a matter of WILL. Leonard is the one taking all the risks!!!

Take the itchy shirt incident. She should have marched over there, grabbed Sheldon by the proverbial hacky-sak, and laid down The LAW. What the hell happened to "Don't hurt my friend", Sheldon!!!

Anything good, whether Leonard or an acting career, is worth fighting for. The frustration is that I just haven't seen it in the past seven years.

She has to step up for Leonard big time, at least once.  [little black dress, honorable mention]

Edited by Disgusted
  • Like 6

There just is not "one thing" you can point to explaining Leonard's attraction to Penny, other than her willingness to be worshiped.(most of the time) "The heart wants what the heart wants" doesn't cut it for me.

Penny needs to be "heroic" too. Its not a matter of the different "stations" in life, its a matter of WILL. Leonard is the one taking all the risks!!!

Take the itchy shirt incident. She should have marched over there, grabbed Sheldon by the proverbial hacky-sak, and laid down The LAW. What the hell happened to "Don't hurt my friend", Sheldon!!!

Anything good, whether Leonard or an acting career, is worth fighting for. The frustration is that I just haven't seen it in the past seven years.

She has to step up for Leonard big time, at least once.  [little black dress, honorable mention]

Got to agree with this big time!

The only suggestion that the writers have given as to why Leonard decided Penny would be the object of his worship is in "The Ornithophobia Diffusion" (5.09) when he said he did things she wanted to do just to have sex with her. We know that's a lie because Penny and Leonard have spent more than two thirds the time they have known each other without having sex and Leonard has been even more supportive during those periods. Even when Leonard is pursuing sex with other women Penny's appears to be the object of some attention as several times he has asked permission to see other women. The big question Penny should ask Leonard is "Why me?".

The writers have had Sheldon try to answer that question. In "The Tangerine Factor" (1.17):

Leonard: Sheldon, this date is probably my one chance with Penny, what happens if I blow it.

Sheldon: Well, if we accept your premise, and also accept the highly improbable assumption that Penny is the only woman in the world for you then we can logically conclude that the result of blowing it would be that you end up a lonely, bitter old man with no progeny.

And in " The Recombination Hypothesis"(5.13):

Sheldon: All right, then. The reason you’re fixated on a good-natured simpleton like Penny is that she’s the exact opposite of your first romantic attachment, your brilliant yet intimidating mother.

The only apparent reason as to why Leonard wants only Penny and why she resists begging to marry the only man she has truly been in love with, is to service the show's original premise; Leonard is on a quest for the unattainable woman he fell in love with at first sight. He wants "Smart and Beautiful Babies" that only she will make.  And Penny must resist to keep the quest going. At this point, this premise defies logic. The quest is over and there is no reason given as to why L/P would act as if it is still going on.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

Got to agree with this big time!

The only suggestion that the writers have given as to why Leonard decided Penny would be the object of his worship is in "The Ornithophobia Diffusion" (5.09) when he said he did things she wanted to do just to have sex with her. We know that's a lie because Penny and Leonard have spent more than two thirds the time they have known each other without having sex and Leonard has been even more supportive during those periods. Even when Leonard is pursuing sex with other women Penny's appears to be the object of some attention as several times he has asked permission to see other women. The big question Penny should ask Leonard is "Why me?".

The writers have had Sheldon try to answer that question. In "The Tangerine Factor" (1.17):

Leonard: Sheldon, this date is probably my one chance with Penny, what happens if I blow it.

Sheldon: Well, if we accept your premise, and also accept the highly improbable assumption that Penny is the only woman in the world for you then we can logically conclude that the result of blowing it would be that you end up a lonely, bitter old man with no progeny.

And in " The Recombination Hypothesis"(5.13):

Sheldon: All right, then. The reason you’re fixated on a good-natured simpleton like Penny is that she’s the exact opposite of your first romantic attachment, your brilliant yet intimidating mother.

The only apparent reason as to why Leonard wants only Penny and why she resists begging to marry the only man she has truly been in love with, is to service the show's original premise; Leonard is on a quest for the unattainable woman he fell in love with at first sight. He wants "Smart and Beautiful Babies" that only she will make.  And Penny must resist to keep the quest going. At this point, this premise defies logic. The quest is over and there is no reason given as to why L/P would act as if it is still going on.

I agree with the last statement here.  Especially the part about the quest being over.  Leonard has been on a quest to win Penny's love and affection.  She is not an academic like his mother or any of the other women he is around most of the time, she is different.  She is pretty but at the same time is also caring and outwardly shows her affection to Leonard in ways other than sex, like planning a birthday party for him.  Leonard provides Penny with a man who is what she has been looking for especially since the end of season 1.  A man who is "nice and honest who actually cares about me."  That is Leonard and even though he does not have the "physical traits"  that were common in the other men she dated, he does give her something that many women will take over physical beauty and that is mental and emotional security.

I also agree that the quest is over.  This part of the story has run its course. The writers have been trying to delay it but IMO it is time allow them to become engaged and married. 

• Like 6

You know make a great point, Penny needs to start defending Leonard to Sheldon.  She told Leonard that Sheldon wins everytime you don't  kill him in his sleep, why doesn't she make him sleep with one eye open.  She needs to start standing up for her man.  That could also carry over to her going out with him, we have never seen her correct the problem of guys hitting on her when Leonard is there, that could make a very funny episode.

• Like 5

You know make a great point, Penny needs to start defending Leonard to Sheldon.  She told Leonard that Sheldon wins everytime you don't  kill him in his sleep, why doesn't she make him sleep with one eye open.  She needs to start standing up for her man.  That could also carry over to her going out with him, we have never seen her correct the problem of guys hitting on her when Leonard is there, that could make a very funny episode.

She did in "The Tenure Turbulence", but not as much as Leonard in the past. You have a point ... The easiest way to "defend" Leonard is to drag him to her apartment and let him live there. It's about time!

She did in "The Tenure Turbulence", but not as much as Leonard in the past. You have a point ... The easiest way to "defend" Leonard is to drag him to her apartment and let him live there. It's about time!

...and Penny should stick it to Leonard's mum, on his behalf. Bernie got stuck into Sheldon and Mike, so she has seen how its done. That will be a turning point for me. Heheheheh.

*whispers... crap, I'm angry again*

• Like 1

It all goes back to what some one said before, Penny is not that 'HOT' unattached 21 year old party girl across the hall, the writers need to stop trying to perpetuate that story line. Penny is now a 27 year old attractive young woman who has learned a lot about life and now knows the man she wants. She is an adult and the writers still won't let her completely grow up, because if they did, she would probably have proposed already and be living with him. If there is anything that kills a show, it is writers who persist in a story plot that becomes more and more ridiculous as the show goes on.

• Like 6

It all goes back to what some one said before, Penny is not that 'HOT' unattached 21 year old party girl across the hall, the writers need to stop trying to perpetuate that story line. Penny is now a 27 year old attractive young woman who has learned a lot about life and now knows the man she wants. She is an adult and the writers still won't let her completely grow up, because if they did, she would probably have proposed already and be living with him. If there is anything that kills a show, it is writers who persist in a story plot that becomes more and more ridiculous as the show goes on.

The group has been saying this (in one form or another) for over a year. Don't hold your breath.

• Like 2

I'd think the less involved could probably watch them hover for maybe this season, but surely at some point they have to land somewhere. Maybe the Shamy is enough distraction and the money is good now and the ratings solid, so they have no commercial imperative to change things. In terms of storytelling they are just circling the airport until they run out of fuel. But look at TAAHM. That's running on fumes. Imho.

I'd like some more joy while we wait.

Missy having a baby could shake things up.

When is the last time Penny said anything about acting?

If there is one thing that could make her hold out it is the thought her career could take a big new twist. I don't think she has even mentioned it in a long time.

• Like 1

One other thing Penny brings is that she is quite a bit more "normal" than anyone else in Leonard's life. This includes the normal affection people show each other. Leonard was totally deprived of things like Christmas presents and birthday parties, and while he doesn't need them as such, he likely enjoys being with someone that has these values. Sheldon is basically his mother in outlook, and Raj and Howard are weird in their own ways. Leoanrd may want his future family life to be normal, and nothing like his upbringing and family dynamic. Wyatt even reinforced that. He seemed like regular dad worried about his wayward daughter, and completely approved of Leonard because Leonard is a decent, caring,trustworthy guy. I suggest that Penny and Leonard, far from being a weird mismatch couple, represent a statement in support of a loving, normal family. That seems to be where they are heading. Penny's desire to bring more to the relationship is part and parcel of that notion.

• Like 6

Missy having a baby could shake things up.

When is the last time Penny said anything about acting?

If there is one thing that could make her hold out it is the thought her career could take a big new twist. I don't think she has even mentioned it in a long time.

6.21 The Closure Alternative.  

Can someone remind me of the times Leonard made Penny feel like an idoit/stupid whenever she makes a mistake...

Did'nt Penny mention acting in this season's premier..

Can someone remind me of the times Leonard made Penny feel like an idoit/stupid whenever she makes a mistake...

Did'nt Penny mention acting in this season's premier..

Nothing current or future.  She just mentioned her topless movie, that she was embarrassed to let Sheldon know she was in.  

You know the writers make Penny hopeless.  She is in a dead end job, where the best thing she has to say is that when she spills things and gets her top all wet, she gets more tips.  She hasn't made a penny since her commercial, the only acting she gets to do is in her class.  It makes Leonard look like he is just her meal ticket instead of her soul mate sometimes.

Why can't they give her like a recurring small part on a soap opera or something, for a little while, so we can see a happy Penny bouncing off the walls for a few episodes.  It could also give us some stuff where she doesn't let it go to her head and provides Leonard some confidence he is the one and only.

• Like 6

6.21 The Closure Alternative.  

It seems like a long time to me for her to not either talk about a part, trying to get an audition or giving up on it.

Also, in 7.04 Penny was taking a course. Since then it has not been mentioned at all. Would it be so hard to give a little continuity here. Exam time is coming up.  I just think we could at least get a line like "I have to study tonight" or "I have exams in a week so I'm too busy to..."

Not only have the writers dumbed Penny down this season it seems like they are treating the fans as they they have no brains too.

Edited by djsurrey

They are consistent. The only mentioned her attending the history class once in the fall, the episode where it's part of the plot(The Extract Obliteration) and only implied it in the spring semester(The Egg Salad Equivalency, her history book is on top of her coffee table and uncovered.) They consistently mention or imply she's in a class once a semester.

Part of the problem is there just isn't time. You wast more mention of her class and attempts at auditions. Others want more interaction between Amy and Sheldon. Others want more science or more comic books, or gaming, or whatever. The show has been averaging right around twenty minutes this year. Where are they going to find all the time to get everything everybody wants into the show? They can't, so unless it leads to a joke, or somehow slowly moves a couple ahead, you ain't gonna see it.

• Like 2

They are consistent. The only mentioned her attending the history class once in the fall, the episode where it's part of the plot(The Extract Obliteration) and only implied it in the spring semester(The Egg Salad Equivalency, her history book is on top of her coffee table and uncovered.) They consistently mention or imply she's in a class once a semester.

Part of the problem is there just isn't time. You wast more mention of her class and attempts at auditions. Others want more interaction between Amy and Sheldon. Others want more science or more comic books, or gaming, or whatever. The show has been averaging right around twenty minutes this year. Where are they going to find all the time to get everything everybody wants into the show? They can't, so unless it leads to a joke, or somehow slowly moves a couple ahead, you ain't gonna see it.

"...unless it leads to a joke,..."

There is time for a line each episode about Amy's frustration which has apparently annoyed a lot of fans here.  Yet there is no time even for a single line to give some evidence that Penny is still taking a course.

It reminds me of a line out of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Eddie Valiant: You mean you could've taken your hand out of that cuff at any time?

Roger Rabbit: No, not at any time, only when it was funny.

• Like 1