Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

There is a lot of ways to take it. I get what your saying but it also could mean Penny realized what was really important to her.

I really don't think there is any another way to interpret that scenario....anyway to each their own...

and I hope the episode after this starts with "Previously on The Big Bang Theory"

• Like 1

Did anyone suggest this idea...... "Penny gets drunk as she is depressed and does something stupid "  based on the press release....

if no one did......it's pretty silly that no one got it...because the term "penny drinking depressed" often come together.... :p

I just read the report and I am not sure where they are headed with this thing between Leonard and Penny.  I will wait for the actual episode because the show is usually better than it appears in the report.  I do think that the writers are trying very hard to string out the Leonard/Penny relationship and it is getting old.  I did not care for Sheldon's question about whether or no their relationship is over.

As for Penny's proposal, MJ points out that she(Penny) is a little tipsy but I do not get the idea that she real drunk.  However, her proposal does seem to come from depression over her life circumstance and the alcohol.  I can see why Leonard would hesitate at that moment, but it is not something that should end the relationship.  At the end it seems like Leonard is overthinking everything again. 

I agree that they are stringing things along but her acting career needed to be resolved before moving on. It looks like it's been resolved TBBT style. I disagree about Sheldon. He knows that Leonard wants to marry Penny so Leonard's no means it over in his mind. I see what you and vasu say about the proposal but it may be better to wait and actually see it on the screen. I also believe that since Sheldon's already knows the others will find out also. In this case that's probably a good thing.

• Like 1

I read the taping report. Thanks to Monique for the hard work. She was great to do this.

Well, the writers managed to come up with a situation where the right answer from Leonard to a Penny proposal is to not accept. He didn't say no, he just hesitated. And it was the right thing to do. After zero progress in the "commitment issues" problem (i.e. no discussion), this clearly is Penny doing something to make herself feel better. If she was really thinking about Leonard, she wouldn't have suggested that ten years was wasted. She should have said that after ten years, my career is going no where, but I do have the love of my life. She could have then asked Leonard expecting a proper answer. The way it is written, it is almost insulting. Leonard was fairly clear that if she proposed, it should be a serious proposal (a reasonable interpretation of "the whole nine yards"). I agree with DaisyJane that a ring and all that stuff would be a little weird, but an honest, thought out proposal is what Leonard wants. Not a "what the hell, lets' get married" proposal. Put some thought into it, basically.

I'm not really worried about the long term ramifications of this. Penny's reaction to this will be important, however. If she gets back with her girl posse, she'll be OK, and Lenny will too. If she runs out to a bar, gets drunk and drags a guy home or some other similar foolishness, then they are doomed. The girl posse will straighten her out, as they did when Bernadette ratted Howard out to his mom about going to space. I think sometimes these girls do things like that to get their way, and need the input of the others to see things the right way. I hope the next episode involves just that, the girls getting together with Penny, and Leonard with the guys. Things will work out then. 

• Like 6

it would still be better than Leonard's proposal for sure....

Looks like I have to retract this...

I think the word I was looking for was reverse not retract.... :D

Edited by vasu

After thinking about it, I would have been disappointed if Leonard had said yes. With that setup, it would have been a letdown at the least. Imagine that scene ending with Leonard saying OK. Further, Leonard hesitating would be a normal reaction for anyone. He was surprised, particularly given that Penny has been so reluctant to even consider the idea. Her proposal also smacks of the fake marriage to Zack. Penny is always the one that shows great caution with Leonard. This is the first time I recall her shooting from the hip in their relationship.

Further, Penny being all that disappointed shows a lack of understanding of the business too. The important thing was that she got picked, and they shot the scene. When they put the episode of NCIS together, they probably cut a scene to make the show time fit. It was a nothing scene. She has a right to be disappointed, but getting the part at all means that people saw her and liked what they saw. Of course the average viewer is not going to see it that way, and that's who they are writing for.

Recall that Penny left Leonard hanging in the proposal he made while they were having sex. Later in the episode, he follows up, and she says no. Penny hasn't gotten a no. What the hell did she expect?

• Like 2

After thinking about it, I would have been disappointed if Leonard had said yes. With that setup, it would have been a letdown at the least. Imagine that scene ending with Leonard saying OK. Further, Leonard hesitating would be a normal reaction for anyone. He was surprised, particularly given that Penny has been so reluctant to even consider the idea. Her proposal also smacks of the fake marriage to Zack. Penny is always the one that shows great caution with Leonard. This is the first time I recall her shooting from the hip in their relationship.

Further, Penny being all that disappointed shows a lack of understanding of the business too. The important thing was that she got picked, and they shot the scene. When they put the episode of NCIS together, they probably cut a scene to make the show time fit. It was a nothing scene. She has a right to be disappointed, but getting the part at all means that people saw her and liked what they saw. Of course the average viewer is not going to see it that way, and that's who they are writing for.

Recall that Penny left Leonard hanging in the proposal he made while they were having sex. Later in the episode, he follows up, and she says no. Penny hasn't gotten a no. What the hell did she expect?

You know that is true, she did act and you know she got paid. I think she can use it in her resume, so the only thing was she couldn't show people to brag, really is that enough to say your career is over? Tensor feel free to jump in here.

• Like 1

I read the taping report. Thanks to Monique for the hard work. She was great to do this.

Well, the writers managed to come up with a situation where the right answer from Leonard to a Penny proposal is to not accept. He didn't say no, he just hesitated. And it was the right thing to do. After zero progress in the "commitment issues" problem (i.e. no discussion), this clearly is Penny doing something to make herself feel better. If she was really thinking about Leonard, she wouldn't have suggested that ten years was wasted. She should have said that after ten years, my career is going no where, but I do have the love of my life. She could have then asked Leonard expecting a proper answer. The way it is written, it is almost insulting. Leonard was fairly clear that if she proposed, it should be a serious proposal (a reasonable interpretation of "the whole nine yards"). I agree with DaisyJane that a ring and all that stuff would be a little weird, but an honest, thought out proposal is what Leonard wants. Not a "what the hell, lets' get married" proposal. Put some thought into it, basically.

I'm not really worried about the long term ramifications of this. Penny's reaction to this will be important, however. If she gets back with her girl posse, she'll be OK, and Lenny will too. If she runs out to a bar, gets drunk and drags a guy home or some other similar foolishness, then they are doomed. The girl posse will straighten her out, as they did when Bernadette ratted Howard out to his mom about going to space. I think sometimes these girls do things like that to get their way, and need the input of the others to see things the right way. I hope the next episode involves just that, the girls getting together with Penny, and Leonard with the guys. Things will work out then. 

I agree with your whole post.

Leonard did the right thing. He didn't exploit her drunkenness to marry her. He didn't say "no". He just wasn't sure, if she is serious or not. And you really can't tell that. We all know how Penny acts, when she is drunk. She was obviously not aware of what she is doing. And I think when Penny is sober again, she will realize, that a marriage, based on sadness and a drunken proposal, is NOT what she or Leonard wants. And to be honest, she can't be mad at him for not accepting her proposal. On the contrary, she should be thankful. Was one drunken marriage not enough? This scene will be quite similar to the Halloween scene in season 1. Penny was obviously sad and searching for warmth and secureness. Leonard didn't exploit her, because he's a good guy. If she won't realize that in the next episode (7.13), then she is just stupid. Sorry, but that's the truth.

What I really dislike is, like someone in the chat recently mentioned, that they threw the Penny-proposal away for the laughter, like if it's nothing. That's really sad. I, and I think all the other Lenny fans, always wanted the proposal to be a very special thing. But THAT is just a shame. Of course this is a sitcom, but there are SO MANY other things to laugh about. Was that scene really necessary? I also hate how Sheldon doesn't stand up ONCE for his best friend in Season 7. He was used again for the laughter. I don't know how anyone can laugh at this? They finally should learn, how to distinguish drama and comedy.

We don't know what happens in the next episode, but they better put a patch on that thing and FINALLY give us some talking and movement between them, like episode 6.16. This endless back and forth and "drunken Penny makes bad decisions" is getting old.

And I really doubt they will break up over this. After all what happened in Season 5, 6 and 7... They can't just throw that away (of course they can, but come on, be serious). Lenny is basically the heart of the show and what they built up in the past is just amazing. They would be dumb to throw it away.

I already imagined some possible plots for the next episode.

1. Penny doesn't understand, why Leonard didn't accept her proposal. She thinks he doesn't love her -> bad.

2. Penny realizes, what he did was the right thing and they gently talk about it -> good.

3. Sheldon, the chatterbox, will talk about it with the guys. They will make fun of them -> Penny gets mad at him for telling Sheldon -> bad.

4. Sheldon, the chatterbox, will talk about it with the girls. They will help Penny (again) to do the right thing -> good.

5. Leonard apologizes (I hope not) and is pictured as the bad one again -> bad (!).

6. Penny doesn't remember anything she did last night. The writers could throw the whole plot away with that as an excuse for Penny -> BAD.

7. Penny still wants to marry him when she is sober (he didn't say no or yes, the question is not answered yet) and proposes again -> good.

8. Leonard is afraid to ask her. She surprises him with a real proposal, that sweeps him off his feet. -> REALLY GOOD.

There are so many possibilities. i think one of my suggestions will be involved. I was quite right with my suggestion to 7.12... I really don't know how to think about this episode. But my heart tells me, that something BIG will happen in the next episode.

Edited by FileXxX

The two proposals were very IMO similar. Leonard's answer was appropriate. Her lack of understanding the business is true but this isn't reality. But in regards to the show I still think her Hollywood acting career is over. That is a big deal on the show and appears to be moving her into a new chapter in her life. I think it's sad in many ways since the other six have had success in their careers but Penny hasn't.

I

I already imagined some possible plots for the next episode.

1. Penny doesn't understand, why Leonard didn't accept her proposal. She thinks he doesn't love her -> bad.

2. Penny realizes, what he did was the right thing and they gently talk about it -> good.

3. Sheldon, the chatterbox, will talk about it with the guys. They will make fun of them -> Penny gets mad at him for telling Sheldon -> bad.

4. Sheldon, the chatterbox, will talk about it with the girls. They will help Penny (again) to do the right thing -> good.

5. Leonard apologizes (I hope not) and is pictured as the bad one again -> bad (!).

6. Penny doesn't remember anything she did last night. The writers could throw the whole plot away with that as an excuse for Penny -> BAD.

7. Penny still wants to marry him when she is sober (he didn't say no or yes, the question is not answered yet) and proposes again -> good.

8. Leonard is afraid to ask her. She surprises him with a real proposal, that sweeps him off his feet. -> REALLY GOOD.

There are so many possibilities. i think one of my suggestions will be involved. I was quite right with my suggestion to 7.12... I really don't know how to think about this episode.

My guess is that Sheldon will be involved and I actually think it will be a good thing. When he asked Leonard why he didn't say yes it doesn't sound like he knew Penny was drunk. He got all over Leonard's case about proposing in bed I could see him getting all over Penny's case for proposing while drunk.

• Like 1

My guess is that Sheldon will be involved and I actually think it will be a good thing. When he asked Leonard why he didn't say yes it doesn't sound like he knew Penny was drunk. He got all over Leonard's case about proposing in bed I could see him getting all over Penny's case for proposing while drunk.

No, I think it will be the same Sheldon as always. They turned him into a jerk, so Sheldon will be there to make everything worse. Same thing with Leonard's bed proposal in 5.24. He just couldn't let it go and kept talking about it. I can see Penny getting mad at Leonard for telling him.

No, I think it will be the same Sheldon as always. They turned him into a jerk, so Sheldon will be there to make everything worse. Same thing with Leonard's bed proposal in 5.24. He just couldn't let it go and kept talking about it. I can see Penny getting mad at Leonard for telling him.

But the thing with Sheldon IMO he has always been fair with L/P. He got all over Penny about Thanksgiving.He did get all over Leonard in 5.24. But when he does he's usually right. If Sheldon does mention to anyone else about Penny's proposal IMO it would be Amy.

I think when the chips are down Sheldon is a force for good in Lenny. He does NOT want them to break up. What he wants beyond that is unclear, but a Lenny break up is very bad in his world. Sheldon hated the last time.

If they are done with Penny's acting career, I'm good with that. She seems to show interest in school again. Having her become a counseling psychologist would be cool, and funny. She and Beverly could argue about Feudian vs Jungian approaches.

• Like 2

I think when the chips are down Sheldon is a force for good in Lenny. He does NOT want them to break up. What he wants beyond that is unclear, but a Lenny break up is very bad in his world. Sheldon hated the last time.

He USUALLY was that way. But I have no doubt, that he'll be the jerk, who fires up the storm between Leonard and Penny even more. I don't like how they write him this season. Where is the bromance? I would be very happy, if Sheldon is supporting Lenny in the next episode. Of course, in one of his weird ways, but it works.

She and Beverly could argue about Feudian vs Jungian approaches.

The first thing I thought of was Frasier and Niles.

I am going to remain cautiously optimistic that this will all turn out alright in the end.  It's the bumps along the way that trouble me...

• Like 1

That episode didn't turn out the way I hoped it would at all. I feel really bad for both of them, and I hoping the proposal scene comes across better acted out than it does on paper. If they carry it into the following episode then they can have a serious talk and hopefully end up engaged, to drag this into two episodes without that result would seem like a waste of time.

Hope this has a happy ending. 

• Like 1

Drag it out a couple of weeks. This was 147, if they continue it in the next episode, that's 148. Stretch it one week more week and resolve it the next means the resolution is in episode 150, during sweeps, hmmmmmm .

• Like 1

Drag it out a couple of weeks. This was 147, if they continue it in the next episode, that's 148. Stretch it one week more week and resolve it the next means the resolution is in episode 150, during sweeps, hmmmmmm .

A multi-week arc with a resolution during sweeps is a strong possibility.

That episode didn't turn out the way I hoped it would at all. I feel really bad for both of them, and I hoping the proposal scene comes across better acted out than it does on paper. If they carry it into the following episode then they can have a serious talk and hopefully end up engaged, to drag this into two episodes without that result would seem like a waste of time.

Hope this has a happy ending.

I would like to see a happy ending for this.....but not an engagement as a resolution for this...

A multi-week arc with a resolution during sweeps is a strong possibility.

That, or they know they've been renewed for three years and are breaking them up because they now have time to break them up. Or Ryan is jealous of Johnny, and Kaley asked for them to break up so she doesn't have to kiss Johnny.

• Like 2

SO OMGGGGGG PENNY PROPOSED TO LEONARD! <333333333

I was sooo not expecting that in this episode and i cannot wait to see it on screen!! I have no idea how this is gonna play out in the next episode but i dont think they are going to end up engaged yet, though at the same time i really dont think they are going to break up! That is so not going to happen. Not now after she has just openly admitted to him that she wants to marry him!

It's coming guys!! I'd put bets on that by the end of this season these two will be engaged and then get married and have smart and beautiful babies! I cannot wait for the rest of this season to play out it really is the best yet! These writers sure do know how to keep us hanging on and i keep my faith that whatever they have planned for these two will be just perfect because they havent disappointed me this season at all!

Its gonna be a loooonnnggg wait till this next taping repoort!

• Like 2

That, or they know they've been renewed for three years and are breaking them up because they now have time to break them up. Or Ryan is jealous of Johnny, and Kaley asked for them to break up so she doesn't have to kiss Johnny.

I have been seeing this about Ryan. If true why would TPTB do something like this? Why ruin the show and Lenny for someone that shouldn't matter when it comes to the business? Why would Kaley do something like that?

Edited by ArmyGirl

I can see them doing this, but them then they have to add some bumps here and there (Sheldon can be one).

I don't remember them ever dragging a plot out that long, this would really be a change to SOP.

It doesn't have to be mentioned in every episode, just not resolved. The L/P Alex triangle in season six is a good precedent.