Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

I don't like the idea of Penny not working and being completely dependent on Leonard. Having that kind of gap in work experience would look bad on her resume anyways, and being a waitress is a respectable profession. Bernadette did it while working towards a greater goal, and I'd like to see that for Penny. If it's about her professional life, I'd rather it be about her changing jobs or devoting herself to a career path other than acting. Something more attainable. 

• Like 3

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true Tensor.   The most consistent motif the writers have used with Penny is her insecurity about her intelligence and judgement. It pops up constantly in several episodes a season, starting with

Bullshit. My wife and I have OUR money. If money is budgeted for her to get clothes or for me to get clothes, neither one of us is giving the other money for clothes, we are using OUR money to get clo

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while tryi

Posted Images

I don't like the idea of Penny not working and being completely dependent on Leonard. Having that kind of gap in work experience would look bad on her resume anyways, and being a waitress is a respectable profession. Bernadette did it while working towards a greater goal, and I'd like to see that for Penny. If it's about her professional life, I'd rather it be about her changing jobs or devoting herself to a career path other than acting. Something more attainable.

The completely dependent part bothers me too, so she would either have some income from small acting parts or get a part time job. I think it would be funny if Leonard got her a part time job at Cal Tech and Amy started working their full time.

• Like 1

The completely dependent part bothers me too, so she would either have some income from small acting parts or get a part time job. I think it would be funny if Leonard got her a part time job at Cal Tech and Amy started working their full time.

Why would it bother ppl if she became financial dependant on Leonard, while she goes to school fulltime?

It wouldn't be her leeching on Leonard, she would do it make a big change in her life.

I don't expect it to happen, but I don't see a problem with it if it did.

• Like 4

Why would it bother ppl if she became financial dependant on Leonard, while she goes to school fulltime?

It wouldn't be her leeching on Leonard, she would do it make a big change in her life.

She would have no shoe money if Leonard put her on an allowance, and I can't see her being totally dependent on him for money, because we know that causes her problems from previous episodes.

The big thing I think we see about Penny is like Kaley, she has grown up into a woman on the show, and like Kaley, who is moving on in her life by getting married, Penny needs to move on in her life too, she is now a young adult woman. The whole young pretty party girl across the hall that Leonard has a crush on, is over. Penny is a beautiful young woman who loves a successful scientist, they should be taking steps toward their future, that is what makes sense noe.

• Like 6

Since 7.12 Leonard puts his foot in his mouth about her career, what if he tells her to quit the CF and try to get acting jobs full time and maybe go to school in between, he will support her. She moves in with him, maybe they get engaged. Amy moves in across the hall. Win win.

I think everyone on here wants eventually the same thing. Leonard and Penny walking down the aisle. In the above scenarios I tend to agree more with Daisy. I still don't think she will like the idea of Leonard supporting her. He has supported her at times but direct support IMO she won't go for.To me NCIS was like a lighting bolt. The dream of being a star is done. I too can see her giving up acting(it never really fit into the show) and trying to pursue something else with her life. To me quitting CF is coming but not at this point. Them living together would probably good for Penny financially but at this point I could go either way.
  • Like 1

Being a student is a perfectly respectable thing for her to do. She wouldn't need to work if she were going to school full time, and it wouldn't look bad on her resume. She could still try out for parts while going to school. The problem right now is she is trying to go to school part time, work full time at the CF to support herself as fully as possible, and audition for parts. That's really a lot of things to try and do, plus have a boyfriend. Being financially dependent on one's SO while going to school full time is not dishonorable. It isn't charity either. It is how many people better their education, and would be totally plausible in universe. I wonder if they are getting huge amounts of money from the CF to keep her in the uniform. It is fabulous weekly advertising, without the cost of actually producing a commercial. That could easily be the reason she's still working there. 

If Amy were working full-time at CalTech, Penny could possibly be her lab assistant. Although she barfed her head off when Amy showed her and Bernie the tumor she was dissecting.

• Like 1

Penny is someone who is very independent, and it would be unhealthy for the relationship for her to be relying solely on him for money. Countless actors have stories of waiting tables for years before getting a big break. It would be insane to quit that for something so up in the air. She needs to have her own income while working towards a greater success. Maybe moving in with him and Sheldon to reduce her expenses, while Amy moves in across the hall. 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 1

It wouldn't be Penny giving up anything or coming under Leonard's rule.  If Leonard suggested that she try to dedicate more time to either her acting or her schooling, then his financial help is actually helping THEM as a couple.  It's no longer him and her but THEM.

Isn't that what a relationship is all about?

• Like 3

it seems likes all of us are getting the cart before the horse. It seems to me it all depends on how things play out.

1. They get engaged but have the same living arrangements- Penny quits acting, stays at CF, and goes back to school full time.

2. They get engaged and decide to live together- Penny quits acting, stays at CF part time, and goes backs to school ? I think she would unknowingly accept financial support.

3. they get engaged and live together with Sheldon- No chance. Penny or Sheldon would kill each other.

4. no engagement everything stays the same- Avoid this forum. LOL

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1

it seems likes all of us are getting the cart before the horse. It seems to me it all depends on how things play out.

1. They get engaged but have the same living arrangements- Penny quits acting, stays at CF, and goes back to school full time.

2. They get engaged and decide to live together- Penny quits acting, stays at CF part time, and goes backs to school ? I think she would unknowingly accept financial support.

3. they get engaged and live together with Sheldon- No chance. Penny or Sheldon would kill each other.

Actually, the avoid the forum scenario would be: Leonard or Penny breaks it off, because it's now so weird after Penny's proposal.

• Like 1

Actually, the avoid the forum scenario would be: Leonard or Penny breaks it off, because it's now so weird after Penny's proposal.

Don't say that :( Hopefully, that never comes true.

i think this is what is going to happen....

Now I almost want to see it happening :D

But for all the Lenny's out there, I hope it doesn't.

Okay, Tensor, time to stop without all the negative energy, think only happy thoughts.  That is what I'm trying to do.

I actually think it is less of a non-possibility after the last taping report.  The writers sure left them in a weird situation at the end and since they are not a sweeps episode, I really wonder what they are doing.  If I think about it too much, I know I will go over to the dark side.

I keep thinking how the writers pretty much did nothing with Leonard's trip this summer, so I keep thinking they might not do nothing with this.  I find myself really waiting, without much patience, for this coming Tuesday.

My big problem with how the show right now is how they won't let the Lenny relationship mature, like the characters are.  I get the feeling they are going to drag out he hot girl and nerd idea until they find out no one is watching anymore.

I keep thinking how the writers pretty much did nothing with Leonard's trip this summer, so I keep thinking they might not do nothing with this.  I find myself really waiting, without much patience, for this coming Tuesday.

This episode could be a recall, but they can't give Leonard a big success with that, because it would collide with reality again.

My big problem with how the show right now is how they won't let the Lenny relationship mature, like the characters are. I get the feeling they are going to drag out he hot girl and nerd idea until they find out no one is watching anymore.

I think they are starting to address it and the proposal is either a toe in the water or the first falling domino or the butterfly's wings flapping. However, they have made it hard to retain optimism. I'm going to try to remain calm. Edited by Nogravitasatall

This episode could be a recall, but they can't give Leonard a big success with that, because it would collide with reality again.

They could.  While they gave the reason for the trip as working on Hawking's ideas, all they said was the data looked promising.  Promising for what?  Providing results that could shoot down the idea?  Providing support for the idea?  Since they didn't specify the results, they can just not specify what went well, just say his work helped get the results.  It's also quite possible that even though the results could be inconclusive, positive, or negative, it wouldn't have been possible to get any data without Leonard's contribution.   The guys who set up the detectors for the experiments at Large Hadron Collider, may not actually get the results or analyze the data to get results,  but if they didn't prepare the detectors, there would be no results to analyze.    Leonard's work on the trip more than likely falls into this category.

• Like 2

My big problem with how the show right now is how they won't let the Lenny relationship mature, like the characters are.  I get the feeling they are going to drag out he hot girl and nerd idea until they find out no one is watching anymore.

I agree this is a problem, as they seem reluctant to move Lenny forward, or for that matter, Shamy too. I do not see where moving Lenny forward is a problem, as they are practically married now. The many suggestions about moving them in together will work. The paradigm of the show is to have Penny, Leonard and Sheldon across the hall from each other with drop ins by the other characters. Given that Penny and Leonard are sleeping together pretty much every night, upgrading the relationship changes basically nothing as far as the writing it concerned, and gives them new things to write about. We've speculated at some length about meeting the various family members, but we also have extra angst that will come from adapting to the more committed relationship. With that, they both have a stake in each other. This is why I say that not much will change. In "The Tenure Turbulence", Penny acted as a wife. They were a team, in it together. How would the proposal change this? I state that it won't. They are already subconsciously committed, which is why anything other than a successful proposal with an enthusiastic acceptance makes no sense at this point.Anything else would be "awkward and weird".

• Like 7

I agree this is a problem, as they seem reluctant to move Lenny forward, or for that matter, Shamy too. I do not see where moving Lenny forward is a problem, as they are practically married now. The many suggestions about moving them in together will work. The paradigm of the show is to have Penny, Leonard and Sheldon across the hall from each other with drop ins by the other characters. Given that Penny and Leonard are sleeping together pretty much every night, upgrading the relationship changes basically nothing as far as the writing it concerned, and gives them new things to write about. We've speculated at some length about meeting the various family members, but we also have extra angst that will come from adapting to the more committed relationship. With that, they both have a stake in each other. This is why I say that not much will change. In "The Tenure Turbulence", Penny acted as a wife. They were a team, in it together. How would the proposal change this? I state that it won't. They are already subconsciously committed, which is why anything other than a successful proposal with an enthusiastic acceptance makes no sense at this point.Anything else would be "awkward and weird".

I agree. The only problem i see is that, if they are engaged, surely they would be living together, This changes the dynamic considerably.For instance would S live in his apt alone or get a roommate. Who?

A better solution is Penny moving in with the guys. Sheldon would resist at first but by the end of the episode he'd come around. Amy could move into Penny's apartment. That's the only way I see it working. Penny's place is too small for two people's stuff, and Sheldon won't be ready to live with Amy until at least 2025. They're not separating Sheldon and Leonard. Some have suggested Raj but there's no way he'd give up his place to live with Sheldon, his interactions are mostly limited to Howard and Bernadette anyways.

• Like 2

They could.  While they gave the reason for the trip as working on Hawking's ideas, all they said was the data looked promising.  Promising for what?  Providing results that could shoot down the idea?  Providing support for the idea?  Since they didn't specify the results, they can just not specify what went well, just say his work helped get the results.  It's also quite possible that even though the results could be inconclusive, positive, or negative, it wouldn't have been possible to get any data without Leonard's contribution.   The guys who set up the detectors for the experiments at Large Hadron Collider, may not actually get the results or analyze the data to get results,  but if they didn't prepare the detectors, there would be no results to analyze.    Leonard's work on the trip more than likely falls into this category.

Exactly. Although promising would be that the stated reason for the trip was being supported. Usually something with this kind of financial backing (millions of pounds) is looking for something specific. In this case, Unruh radiation. Evidence for this would be huge. Either way, the point is that they got results. Unlike the Season 2 trip to the Arctic, they have real data to analyze. These types of phenomena, like the Higgs Boson, take a lot of computer work to separate the real data from noise and other signals convoluted in the initial results.

Regarding the next steps in Lenny, they don't necessarily have to move in together. Howard and Bernadette didn't prior to marriage, and for that matter, Howard didn't really move in at first in the marriage. They had a whole plot line about that. All a proposal practically means is that they are formally committed to each other. It is a promise to get married. Nothing more.

Another point I would like to make. I find it odd that so many are down on the idea of Penny going to school full-time on Leonard's money. This is quite common where I live, where one partner in a couple will work, funding the other one to go to school. Then they trade places. It is a partnership. In fact, such support is reimbursable in a divorce. Initially, this was established for women who married guys going to medical school. The women worked and kept the house, while the man went to med school. After establishing a practice, some would leave the first wife for the trophy wife. The first wife can successfully sue for a percentage of the income of the doctor, basically treating it as an investment in his business. If Leonard supported Penny while she went to school, he would have a claim on any future income. This is well-established. If Leonard has the money, it is stupid for Penny to work at the CF. it would be better if she focused on school, whether acting or otherwise. This does not put her in an inferior position, or impact on her "freedom", if they are a committed couple. It is a partnership after all. Leonard is simply making an investment.

• Like 2