The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

You hit on something that has bothered me in season 7, where is team Hofstadter, the only thing close was when they were sitting on the couch giving Sheldon advice, but that was weak. I have seen a lot of anti team Hofstadter, the scavenger hunt, her siding with Sheldon, her mocking him at Christmas and about the sweater, plus others. The writers seemed to have completely forgotten about Team Hofstadter, that ship has sailed, like Leonard's North Sea trip. Which brings up another point, what was the point of that trip besides to make Penny and Sheldon closer?

Anti Hofstadter?

The Scavenger Hunt was just a small bump in their road, like any relationship has at some point.

Is Penny not allowed to be on Sheldon's side sometimes? Where did she attack Leonard?

MOCKING at Christmas? That was more teasing than mocking, in a good way.

And what about the sweater? It was Leonard who accepted to walk in Sheldon's shoes, nobody else. It's his fault.

Sorry, but your argument has basically no grounds and I'm starting to feel like that you are here to complain about the show. You shouldn't forget that this show is more about laughter than drama. Penny spending time with Sheldon was always a big fun factor.

I am not certain that was a point to the North Sea trip except maybe to set up something for tenure.  However, I am only guessing on that. 

As for the L/P relationship, IMO this season seems very inconsistent.  On the one hand we have episodes like "The Romance Resonance", I think I got the title right, where we see what appears to be some real growth in L/P.  But, then there are other episodes like the scavenger hunt, which I thought was very funny, but at the same time the L/P relationship was strained and Leonard with his constant worrying and considering quitting the game because Penny was angry was a little tiresome, or the Thanksgiving episode, which I thought was real funny as well, but mainly because of Sheldon and Bernie's Dad along with the interaction between Raj, Amy and Bernie.  The L/P story from Thanksgiving IMO was not that good. 

I agree with SRAM, especially in light of the current taping reports.  I will reserve my final judgment until the actual show is aired, but it does seem like once again they are trying play down the L/P relationship this year.  Penny does seem to be acting like Penny from past episodes and Leonard does seem to be acting like old Leonard at times.  Just MO of course but I don't think season 7 is as good as season 6 so far.

The Thanksgiving episode is one of my favorites this season and I'm a L/P fan. Why? Well, the fact that she didn't run away from him and admits her mistakes, is a BIG progress IMO. Even with a big issue like that. It's amazing.

Edited by FileXxX

You hit on something that has bothered me in season 7, where is team Hofstadter, the only thing close was when they were sitting on the couch giving Sheldon advice, but that was weak. I have seen a lot of anti team Hofstadter, the scavenger hunt, her siding with Sheldon, her mocking him at Christmas and about the sweater, plus others. The writers seemed to have completely forgotten about Team Hofstadter, that ship has sailed, like Leonard's North Sea trip. Which brings up another point, what was the point of that trip besides to make Penny and Sheldon closer?

In two of the episodes you use as examples the writers show both sides of the Lenny. In the Christmas episode Penny has him pee in his pants asking her out (which back then could have actually happened by the way. Remember the sweat ridden shirt?) but when they weren't daydreaming for laughs, the reality was she put a bow on her head a gave herself to him as a Christmas present. Then in the episode of the sweater, the scene you mention was at the beginning of the show and she just mentioned that she understood Shelly's point of view. However, later in the episode when things had gone from bad to worse she begged him to take the sweater off and said Shelly wins every night you don't kill him in his sleep.

However,there is no doubt that the writers are in a stalling mode currently when it comes to Lenny. Even in these last two episodes they gave us both sides of the spectrum. They gave us what we are hoping for and then swiftly ripped it away. They are playing both sides of the coin with a net result of zero movement. At the start of the year they said they were going to explore alternate couple interactions and that is exactly what they are doing. 

Also for a Lenny engagement, I just don't see how that can know happen anytime soon. I believe that is exactly why they handled the last two episodes with Penny & Leonard the way they did in that regard. I now feel they have no intentions of obtaining a proposal from either one of them for quite a while. A few seasons ago in some interview Chuck Lorre said something, very unnerving to me, regarding relationships and show business. He said something like: Two people can be deeply in love but that doesn't mean due to the circumstances of this very difficult career choice that they would ever end up together.I always keep thinking about that. Was he just doing PR and throwing fuel on the fire for viewership or under it all that was his plan all along? To string us on through all the bumps in the road but never get to the main destination. The latter would be extremely disappointing.  :cray:

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 1

So, we have two episodes where Leonard is disrespected and ganged upon by Penny and Sheldon coming up, while things in the two truly dysfunctional couples are ignored. Does Sheldon even talk to Amy in these two episodes? If they did, it didn't make much of an impression. The writers have written four episodes in a row where Penny effectively disses Leonard. One, the Thanksgiving episode, where Penny was OK fake marrying Zack, but has undisclosed and undiscussed "commitment issues" with Leonard. Two, the AU where Penny states Leonard would piss himself trying to ask her out. Or is morbidly obese. That's harsh and in bad taste, actually. Three, Leonard gets a trivial, and ultimately insincere proposal. Four, she doesn't involve him in an major life choice that will absolutely affect their relationship, that he's likely going to have to fund.

In regards to the 4 episodes here's my take:

1.Thanksgiving- As dumb as it sounds Penny thought it was fake. Thus to her there were  no committment issues. Also this was season 4.

2.Christmas episode- Leonard pissing himself. Not really far fetched. Leonard got even. He picture her with Zack(who everyone thinks is an idiot) and they pissed themselves.

3. The proposal- I agree it was ultimately insincere. Not necessarily at the time she did it. But Leonard proposed while they were in bed. The ultimate conclusion from that is the only reasoned he proposed was she was good in bed.

4.CF- She should have quit there years ago. It was something that had to be done. The fact IMO opinion was she would have lost the nerve to do it if she discussed with Leonard. His opinion would have stopped her from doing it and he ultimately said that he was against  it to her on the phone.

I think people put too much into Penny and Sheldon getting along. In the 6+ years they have asked each others opinion on many things and agreed on many things. Even at the end of this taping report Sheldon mentions L/P getting married. Obviously Sheldon knows it's going to happen granted I don't think he quite gets how it will affect him.

I agree her acting isn't going to work but I think this is her last gasp as I mentioned earlier. I think at this point people need to wait and see what happens.

• Like 2

However,there is no doubt that the writers are in a stalling mode currently when it comes to Lenny. Even in these last two episodes they gave us both sides of the spectrum. They gave us what we are hoping for and then swiftly ripped it away. They are playing both sides of the coin with a net result of zero movement. At the start of the year they said they were going to explore alternate couple interactions and that is exactly what they are doing. 

Also for a Lenny engagement, I just don't see how that can know happen anytime soon. I believe that is exactly why they handled the last two episodes with Penny & Leonard the way they did in that regard. I now feel they have no intentions of obtaining a proposal from either one of them for quite a while. A few seasons ago in some interview Chuck Lorre said something, very unnerving to me, regarding relationships and show business. He said something like: Two people can be deeply in love but that doesn't mean due to the circumstances of this very difficult career choice that they would ever end up together.I always keep thinking about that. Was he just doing PR and throwing fuel on the fire for viewership or under it all that was his plan all along? To string us on through all the bumps in the road but never get to the main destination. The latter would be extremely disappointing.  :cray:

There is little chance of Leonard and Penny not being together in the end. The reason is syndication. A fan base built on watching the ups and downs of a couple from the pilot epsiode to the finale is going to be on fire if they do not get their big payoff near the end. They want these episodes to be watched long after the show's run is complete and there is no way they are going to have the fans remember during viewings in 2020 that Lucy and Ricky got divorced at the end.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 4

There is little chance of Leonard and Penny not being together in the end. The reason is syndication. A fan base built on watching the ups and downs of a couple from the pilot epsiode to the finale is going to be on fire if they do not get their big payoff near the end. They want these episodes to be watched long after the show's run is complete and there is no way they are going to have the fans remember during viewings in 2020 that Lucy and Ricky got divorced at the end.

I agree that they want people watching years after the show has left the air. I do sometimes wonder how badly damaged Lenny relationship will be before they get to the final step aka married. Will the finally product be worth watching in the end even if they are together?!

Two questions always jumps out when it comes to this relationship. Why is it Leonard and Penny is thrown into conflict so much? Is it that hard for the writers to write good comedy for this relationship?

• Like 2

I agree that they want people watching years after the show has left the air. I do sometimes wonder how badly damaged Lenny relationship will be before they get to the final step aka married. Will the finally product be worth watching in the end even if they are together?!

Two questions always jumps out when it comes to this relationship. Why is it Leonard and Penny is thrown into conflict so much? Is it that hard for the writers to write good comedy for this relationship?

It's not limited to Leonard and Penny. Howard/Bernie and Shamy have similar conflicts. You can't have a 100% perfect relationship. That's IMPOSSIBLE! A breakup is our biggest fear and we all go crazy about it. And THAT's what the writers accomplished with 7.12. This is what keeps the audience to watch!

I think that because Leonard and Penny, at the core of their belief systems, are in conflict with each other.  Don't get me wrong, I believe they work fine together, but they approach things from different viewpoints much of the time and that creates the conflict, which in turn should create some of the comedy.  Although it has been a bit too predictable lately with the dumbing down of Penny and whatever they are doing with Leonard.

To me, Shamy is more on a equal level in a lot of things except for that nasty physical side of their relationship primarily.  Here is the comedy but again here is also where it's becoming predictable.

IMHO, the only way to create different comedic levels is to create different conflicts, which means they have to move the characters along.  I'm not sure if they just want to take it slow or they are afraid of taking too many risks...

I'll add that I don't think Lenny is in a bad place.  I just hate it when they miss opportunities for Penny to show she is more mature and committed to the relationship.  Involving Leonard in the decision to quit TCF was a missed opportunity.

It's not limited to Leonard and Penny. Howard/Bernie and Shamy have similar conflicts. You can't have a 100% perfect relationship. That's IMPOSSIBLE! A breakup is our biggest fear and we all go crazy about it. And THAT's what the writers accomplished with 7.12. This is what keeps the audience to watch!

Who is talking about perfection? We are talking about the constant stalling of a relationship that has been on going for seven years --- the show's longest relationship. I am talking about giving us something that won't be taken away in the next episode and leave us confused on where the heck things are going. As for the other two couple I disagree that they have similar conflicts and Shamy has been described as having the best relationship on the show according to Lorre and Company.

• Like 3

I totally agree with you that all of the couples have their issues from time to time. However, there is one very large difference with Lenny IMO. The other couples issues arise and are taken care of in the very same episode, whereas, the Lenny problems just seem to go on, and on, and on, and on,,, infinitum!

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 2

I am glad that there are some of you who also see a problem with the relationship. I thought I was going to get stoned for just mentioning it a while back.

Keep in mind that L. is a badly damaged man due to his mother's lack of approval. I have to think that he is just thrilled to have a girl as pretty and popular as Penny. He very often have the same issues as adults that plagued us in high school  and Penny  is epitome of the girl that L. watched from afar.

What is L. to Penny.....the love of her life or someone so different from the losers that she got involved with in high school?

It sure is interesting to see where they are going with this.

I just don't know what you guys are talking about. It is very clear, that Leonard and Penny are good in the end of episode 7.13. This thing is done for me and I'm happy that our two snowflakes survived this.

I totally agree with you that all of the couples have their issues from time to time. However, there is one very large difference with Lenny IMO. The other couples issues arise and are taken care of in the very same episode, whereas, the Lenny problems just seem to go on, and on, and on, and on,,, infinitum!

Because the writers know how to drive the audience crazy, that's why. I love it.

You described the problem perfectly when it comes to the three relationship. Shamy and Howardette is usually solved by the end of an episode and Lenny is on going and it leaves some of us feeling empty and shaking out heads and saying what was that.

• Like 2

The CCF had to go  This allows the elimination of this set on stage and possibly enable them to build the set for L/P's new apartment .

• Like 5

I'll add that I don't think Lenny is in a bad place.  I just hate it when they miss opportunities for Penny to show she is more mature and committed to the relationship.  Involving Leonard in the decision to quit TCF was a missed opportunity.

I agree with Lenny not being in a bad place but disagree on the rest. To me TCF was pre-Lenny. I will say in the future a major decision comes again I would agree with you. Someone else mentioned earlier that Penny was involved with Leonard's career in Tenure Turbulance and that is true. But that was different because Leonard brought it up about going to the funeral and Penny asked if he wanted her to go and he did say no that would be boring for her. Penny convinced him otherwise. Granted she went to be seen(by viewers) in that black dress. Also in reality it wasn't that important in his career since it hasn't been brought up again.

You described the problem perfectly when it comes to the three relationship. Shamy and Howardette is usually solved by the end of an episode and Lenny is on going and it leaves some of us feeling empty and shaking out heads and saying what was that.

Howardette is a minor couple in the show and I don't know how much messing with you are going to do with a married couple. I think Shamy fans would disagree with you. They seem to have ongoing issues. IMO Lenny is the shows number one couple and obviously any of their issues are going to stay in the limelight longer. That's how it's always been.

• Like 1

Well she did call him Quickdraw or something in front of the rest.

I know some of you hate Raj for it, but they both jumped into the bed, so if anyone is to blame, they both are.

I personally think that the writers handled it very well in the first episode season 5.

And why shouldn't they be friends afterwards? It's been over 2 years.

Well you couldn't be more wrong, or you haven't watched the episode. Yes, they both jumped into bed, but Penny was so drunk that she didn't remember a thing, and the reason she was so drunk was that she was miserable because of her love for Leonard, and Raj took advantage of that and got her to bed. Raj betrayed both Penny and Leonard. Why Leonard? Because even if he was with Priya at that moment, Raj knew that he was still in love with Penny.

Btw, I think that the way they attempted to solve it at the beginning of Season 5 was pathetic. So....since there was no penetration that makes everything alright? There was no penetration because Raj eyaculated when Penny was trying to help him get a condom on. The intent (on Raj's behalf) was there and he'd gone through with it if he could have. Penny's intent is non-existent since she didn't know what she was doing.

• Like 3

I agree with Lenny not being in a bad place but disagree on the rest. To me TCF was pre-Lenny. I will say in the future a major decision comes again I would agree with you. Someone else mentioned earlier that Penny was involved with Leonard's career in Tenure Turbulance and that is true. But that was different because Leonard brought it up about going to the funeral and Penny asked if he wanted her to go and he did say no that would be boring for her. Penny convinced him otherwise. Granted she went to be seen(by viewers) in that black dress. Also in reality it wasn't that important in his career since it hasn't been brought up again.

Howardette is a minor couple in the show and I don't know how much messing with you are going to do with a married couple. I think Shamy fans would disagree with you. They seem to have ongoing issues. IMO Lenny is the shows number one couple and obviously any of their issues are going to stay in the limelight longer. That's how it's always been.

Just because that's how it's always been doesn't mean I have to like it! :)

Howard / Bernie are minor couple I agree. As for Shamy, please, the only issue they have is that Shelly hasn't hit puberty yet. In 5 or 6 years when he eventually does everything will be fine with them. Other than that they have have no issues at all.

• Like 1

Well you couldn't be more wrong, or you haven't watched the episode. Yes, they both jumped into bed, but Penny was so drunk that she didn't remember a thing, and the reason she was so drunk was that she was miserable because of her love for Leonard, and Raj took advantage of that and got her to bed. Raj betrayed both Penny and Leonard. Why Leonard? Because even if he was with Priya at that moment, Raj knew that he was still in love with Penny.

Btw, I think that the way they attempted to solve it at the beginning of Season 5 was pathetic. So....since there was no penetration that makes everything alright? There was no penetration because Raj eyaculated when Penny was trying to help him get a condom on. The intent (on Raj's behalf) was there and he'd gone through with it if he could have. Penny's intent is non-existent since she didn't know what she was doing.

What basis did he know that Leonard still loved Penny? I never heard a word mentioned during Leonard and Priya's relationship of that.

• Like 1

Just because that's how it's always been doesn't mean I have to like it! :)

Howard / Bernie are minor couple I agree. As for Shamy, please, the only issue they have is that Shelly hasn't hit puberty yet. In 5 or 6 years when he eventually does everything will be fine with them. Other than that they have have no issues at all.

Howard and Bernadette are frequently shown to have a pretty crappy marriage, we know that Howard would rather be with Raj than her, and she is often very emasculating towards him. Sheldon is a pretty big child, even if he becomes capable of human intimacy in the upcoming years they'll still have to deal with the fact that Amy is more is his mother than his girlfriend. So I'd say they all have unresolved issues, which is true of everyone. But overall Leonard and Penny have been pretty solid this season, they are the only couple who seem to actually want to spend their free time together. I still think an engagement could be on the table for #150. Right now what I want to see is Penny get established with a better job, in acting or elsewhere, and that is all dependent on how they handle her quitting TCF. If their plan isn't for her to become an actress than I'd like to see her find a new path in the upcoming episodes. 

• Like 2

I really don't think they will get engaged soon. The rumors are they are going for a three year contract, so engaging them now is too soon, maybe next season, but them living together is not too soon, especially if they don't isolate Sheldon.

BTW I think it is great she quit TCF, I just don't like the way they wrote it. Think about it, now Penny has weekends off, like the gang does, the whole leaving TCF thing opens up so many possibilities with her character.

• Like 1

Sheldon is a pretty big child, even if he becomes capable of human intimacy in the upcoming years they'll still have to deal with the fact that Amy is more is his mother than his girlfriend.

I dare you put that comment on the Shamy thread.LOL. While I agree with you on the three relationships but after the recent taping I can't imagine an engagement in #150 (though I been consistently wrong lately). I think at best Leonard's gun shy about proposing and Penny's quite honestly not in a position to propose. IMO though whatever her career is going to be will be resolved by the end of the season.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1

Re: Engagement in #150, I think that may be me being overtly optimistic, but I feel they will have to discuss the proposal at some point. Once they do, I'd like to see it end with the two of them agreeing to get married. 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 3

Re: Engagement in #150, I think that may be me being overtly optimistic, but I think they will have to discuss it at some point. Once they do, I'd like to see it end with the two of them agreeing to get married. 

The first optimistic post I read today. Congratulations! :D

Seriously, it could work out. Episode #150 could be the VD episode. Since Penny destroyed the last one, this could be a great opportunity to give Leonard a very special VD.

So what do you think Penny can do other than acting...if the writers do not give her a good acting career??

And if Penny's career hits off , how would it effect their relationship?? good or bad....

And I don't think we are going a see a proposal in near future...

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1