Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

Thanks both to Chiany and Chrismo, but I still don't see how that is the same as Penny not discussing her quitting a job with Leonard.  To me, it's apple and oranges but YMMV...

Don't worry, you aren't going insane or anything. :) They aren't even remotely the same thing. Leonard not getting tenure wouldn't affect their life at all; he's still be employed and their current situation wouldn't be affected one bit. Penny quitting The Cheesecake Factory, however, could have an enormous positive or negative impact, ranging from an extended period of unemployment provoking hardship in their lives (as Leonard does his usual "help Penny out of trouble" thing) to her getting a fabulous opportunity (acting or elsewhere) that could improve their lives significantly. It's not just apples and oranges, it's apples and brussels sprouts.

• Like 3

Actually in Tenure Turbulance he wasn't even going to the wake until Penny mentioning that Amy was going to a wake. The guys if I remember correctly agreed not to go. I don't remember Leonard bringing up the subject up to Penny. I'm not sure why Raj and Sheldon opinions were more important than Penny's

Leaving a job versus going to an extracurricular activity that in reality would have very little impact on the job situation are not even remotely comparable things.  Furthermore, the guys made a gentleman's agreement to not get involved and let it come between their friendship, which certain people reneged on, and at which point Penny became involved.

Based upon some of y'alls comments, I have to wonder what careers you are in.

e between their friendship, which certain people reneged on, and at which point Penny became involved.

Based upon some of y'alls comments, I have to wonder what careers you are in.

I'm retired, due to a disability. I get paid to do nothing, so I hang out here.

If she'd already made up her mind then I don't see what there really is to discuss. 

Well, gee...I don't know... taking the other person's thouhgts into consideration, caring about them becuase he's your SO. Specially if you're going to make a deceision that will affect the couple. taking into consideration how Penny values her independence the decision is ridiculously short-sighted to say the least, and very badly implemented (by not discussing it with Leonard prior to makeing it)

Don't worry, you aren't going insane or anything. :) They aren't even remotely the same thing. Leonard not getting tenure wouldn't affect their life at all; he's still be employed and their current situation wouldn't be affected one bit. Penny quitting The Cheesecake Factory, however, could have an enormous positive or negative impact, ranging from an extended period of unemployment provoking hardship in their lives (as Leonard does his usual "help Penny out of trouble" thing) to her getting a fabulous opportunity (acting or elsewhere) that could improve their lives significantly. It's not just apples and oranges, it's apples and brussels sprouts.

Actually Penny not having a job won't affect them at all either. Leonard's has a well paying job. Does he really need Sheldon as a roommate? Heck Sheldon leaves uncashed checks and cash around the apartment. Although I think some of you would still be complaining if she did ask his opinion and quit TCF anyways. Edited by Chrismo

Do you guys remember in 6.14 with the action figure(s) conversation and how things played out. Something so silly Leonard still talked to Penny about it. Yet Penny made a major decision without even any input from Leonard it was 'I quit the CF and that was it. Of course, there will be the "do I need your permission thing" happening and it does make it seem that the relationship is still tilted in Penny's favor.

• Like 2

Actually Penny not having a job won't affect them at all either. Leonard's has a well paying job. Does he really need Sheldon as a roommate? Heck Sheldon leaves uncashed checks and cash around the apartment. Although I think some of you would still be complaining if she did ask his opinion and quit TCF anyways.

Well technically yes Penny not having a job won't affect Leonard personally since he has a well paying job.  And I don't know why Sheldon is even discussed since neither him nor Howard, Raj, Amy or Bernie are affected personally either.

But when you put the two of them (Leonard and Penny) together, yes it does make a difference to some of us.  It doesn't have to make sense to all of us, but that's okay.  I think some of us see Leonard and Penny as being already being one unit and not two independent people; therefore the bigger decisions affect both of them.

Do you guys remember in 6.14 with the action figure(s) conversation and how things played out. Something so silly Leonard still talked to Penny about it. Yet Penny made a major decision without even any input from Leonard it was 'I quit the CF and that was it. Of course, there will be the "do I need your permission thing" happening and it does make it seem that the relationship is still tilted in Penny's favor.

Very true and that was a very minor thing.

I don't think anyone who thinks that Penny should have discussed it with Leonard is Dissing Penny or thinking that she can't do whatever she wants.  For me, it's kind about respecting the other person who you are in a relationship with that you bring most everything to them for discussion....

• Like 2

Actually Penny not having a job won't affect them at all either. Leonard's has a well paying job. Does he really need Sheldon as a roommate? Heck Sheldon leaves uncashed checks and cash around the apartment. Although I think some of you would still be complaining if she did ask his opinion and quit TCF anyways.

Um, what? Penny not having a job won't affect them? Her not being able to pay rent, pay her utilities, and buy food and provisions won't affect them? Leonard have less money because he's giving some to Penny so that she can pay for these things, no matter what his income level is, won't affect them? Please tell me what kind of drugs you're on that makes you think this way, because there are lots of times when I'd like to experience an alternate reality, too.

Um, what? Penny not having a job won't affect them? Her not being able to pay rent, pay her utilities, and buy food and provisions won't affect them? Leonard have less money because he's giving some to Penny so that she can pay for these things, no matter what his income level is, won't affect them? Please tell me what kind of drugs you're on that makes you think this way, because there are lots of times when I'd like to experience an alternate reality, too.

She hasn't asked him for any money. Right now we can assume that she has some leftover from her last few weeks at TCF and her NCIS gig. If that runs out and she is still without work she can always get another job. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the synopsis for next week. 

Edited by DaisyJane

Hmm, Penny with no money, few prospects, questionable personal choices, and living with the guys, sounds like the un-aired pilot. Methinks the one who must not be named is turning his gaze this way....

sauron_20100307205354.jpg

Edited by Disgusted
  • Like 2

She hasn't asked him for any money. Right now we can assume that she has some leftover from her last few weeks at TCF and her NCIS gig. If that runs out and she is still without work she can always get another job. Wouldn't be surprised if that's the synopsis for next week.

You know I hate to even mention it (Bad Karma) and I would hate it, if it happened, but since Alex seems to be gone it would not surprise me in the least if Sheldon offered her a job as his assistant, especially since it was brought up before, in season 6.

• Like 1

Well technically yes Penny not having a job won't affect Leonard personally since he has a well paying job.  And I don't know why Sheldon is even discussed since neither him nor Howard, Raj, Amy or Bernie are affected personally either.

But when you put the two of them (Leonard and Penny) together, yes it does make a difference to some of us.  It doesn't have to make sense to all of us, but that's okay.  I think some of us see Leonard and Penny as being already being one unit and not two independent people; therefore the bigger decisions affect both of them.

Very true and that was a very minor thing.

I don't think anyone who thinks that Penny should have discussed it with Leonard is Dissing Penny or thinking that she can't do whatever she wants.  For me, it's kind about respecting the other person who you are in a relationship with that you bring most everything to them for discussion....

Part of this IMO is from the Thanksgiving episode. While obviously Penny caused the problem by getting married to Zack Leonard's reaction could of been worse but in reality could have been better too. Nothing really had to be done that day. That was something that could of been discussed later, alone  But he badgered her, printing out forms obviously thinking she was too stupid to do it herself. Then he freaks out when he she gets Zack to show up to sign the papers that day. She did what he wanted. Leonard's problem, besides always being worried what she thinks, is he always has to try to solve her problems. One of Penny's biggest problems is she gets afraid of looking stupid in front of Leonard. Ideally she should have discussed with Leonard but I don't think it was done because of having no respect for Leonard.

• Like 3

You know I hate to even mention it (Bad Karma) and I would hate it, if it happened, but since Alex seems to be gone it would not surprise me in the least if Sheldon offered her a job as his assistant, especially since it was brought up before, in season 6.

I'd be completely okay with that. Especially since it would confirm that Alex is gone for good. :)

Hmm, Penny with no money, few prospects, questionable personal choices, and living with the guys, sounds like the un-aired pilot. Methinks the one who must not be named is turning his gaze this way....

That is a real scary thought. But the similarities are there.

I don't know if you realize this but TBBT is a TV show

I'd be completely okay with that. Especially since it would confirm that Alex is gone for good. :)

Not me, because it would mean that the writers are more invested in the Sheldon Penny interaction then Lenny, so you would see even less Lenny movement. At least if she moved in with them it would be the three of them, not like a job where she would be one on one with Sheldon. I prefer, like someone suggested, that Amy become permanent at Cal Tech and Penny work for her part time. I would be funny for the guys coming to the cafeteria to find Amy and Penny already sitting there surounded by guys hitting on them.

No,,,Say it isn't so...Perish the thought! That isn't even remotely funny! 

Part of this IMO is from the Thanksgiving episode. While obviously Penny caused the problem by getting married to Zack Leonard's reaction could of been worse but in reality could have been better too. Nothing really had to be done that day. That was something that could of been discussed later, alone  But he badgered her, printing out forms obviously thinking she was too stupid to do it herself. Then he freaks out when he she gets Zack to show up to sign the papers that day. She did what he wanted. Leonard's problem, besides always being worried what she thinks, is he always has to try to solve her problems. One of Penny's biggest problems is she gets afraid of looking stupid in front of Leonard. Ideally she should have discussed with Leonard but I don't think it was done because of having no respect for Leonard.

First of all it's a matter of opinion as to whether Leonard thought she was too stupid to print out the forms herself so we really can't use that as a valid point.  He also didn't say that she had to get it taken care of THAT day so Penny really wasn't doing what he wanted/forced her to do.  

I know she doesn't like to look stupid in front of Leonard but her decision in her mind was not made stupidly.  If Leonard's initial reaction was that she was foolish is doing it, well I have to say he's in line with most people's initial reaction.

Not me, because it would mean that the writers are more invested in the Sheldon Penny interaction then Lenny, so you would see even less Lenny movement. At least if she moved in with them it would be the three of them, not like a job where she would be one on one with Sheldon. I prefer, like someone suggested, that Amy become permanent at Cal Tech and Penny work for her part time. I would be funny for the guys coming to the cafeteria to find Amy and Penny already sitting there surounded by guys hitting on them.

Yes we do not need more Shenny interaction, not because I think they are trying to put them together but that the writers think it's fun to gang up on Leonard (yes I know they don't only do that with him).  It's like they are getting their bullying PTSD out through their writing...

• Like 1

Assistant's should atleast know a little physics

Technically She asked everyone how to annul the marriage so... and Leonard said they could solve the problem once them home after downloading the papers. Not exactly what he wanted....

I was the one who suggested she work for Amy, that is what I'd like to see, but Sheldon would not be as bad as you say. They'd still be able to spend more time together, eat with each other, and go to and from work together. Leonard pops in on Sheldon quite a bit, so I'm sure they'd have plenty of interactions if that ends up being the case. 

Edited by DaisyJane

I see Penny's quitting her job at TCCF to be a rash and poorly thought out decision, which is very typical for Penny.  I know the general thought is that now she will be able to concentrate all of her energy on acting.  Great, but how is she going to pay her bills.  It has been suggested that she may be able to live off of her NCIS job and what she saved from CCF.  There is one problem and that is Penny does not have a track record for saving money.  She normally spends her money on shoes.  It has also been pointed out that her pay for her role on NCIS, being a very minor role would not bring that much money.  Even if she made $2000, that would not last long. 

What other job is she going get that she is qualified for and that would allow her to have an adjustable schedule.  Right now it just does not seem to be making a lot of sense.  Maybe it will over time. 

• Like 2

I see Penny's quitting her job at TCCF to be a rash and poorly thought out decision, which is very typical for Penny.  I know the general thought is that now she will be able to concentrate all of her energy on acting.  Great, but how is she going to pay her bills.  It has been suggested that she may be able to live off of her NCIS job and what she saved from CCF.  There is one problem and that is Penny does not have a track record for saving money.  She normally spends her money on shoes.  It has also been pointed out that her pay for her role on NCIS, being a very minor role would not bring that much money.  Even if she made $2000, that would not last long. 

What other job is she going get that she is qualified for and that would allow her to have an adjustable schedule.  Right now it just does not seem to be making a lot of sense.  Maybe it will over time. 

I think you right. We will have to wait and see.

I'm retired, due to a disability. I get paid to do nothing, so I hang out here.

I hope you consult with your wife about your posting schedule. :blum:

She asked him how to fix it in the car.  This led to him downloading the forms.  It was not because he thought she was too stupid to do it, he was fulfilling HER request.  After downloading them he said they could take care of it tomorrow.  She then proceeded to invite Zack over to someone else's house to take care of it right then and there.  Again, she ignored what he suggested.  You have to really stretch to pin Thanksgiving on Leonard.

• Like 2

I was the one who suggested she work for Amy, that is what I'd like to see, but Sheldon would not be as bad as you say. They'd still be able to spend more time together, eat with each other, and go to and from work together. Leonard pops in on Sheldon quite a bit, so I'm sure they'd have plenty of interactions if that ends up being the case. 

Well I like your idea of working with Amy and have reservations about working with Sheldon.  I would not like to see it become her permanent job, but her working with Amy for part to a whole season could be really funny, especially if she was at Cal Tech.  Remember how Leonard came to the cafeteria, with his hair messed up, after having sex with Penny.  I could just picture Penny, showing up to Amy's lab, after lunch, with her hair messed up and Amy staring at her, saying "You had sex, didn't you."  and Penny answering, "Nooo........Yeah we did."

• Like 1

I see Penny's quitting her job at TCCF to be a rash and poorly thought out decision, which is very typical for Penny. 

That's the thing; Penny is rash and impulsive, Leonard tends to over think everything. These two disparate approaches to life coming together in these two characters are what makes the comedy.

• Like 2