Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

I'm confused. What happened? 

I think he's referring to a quote from maybe last year where one of the big guys (Lorre, Prady, or Molaro) said Penny would never become a famous actress.  I think that is why some people want her to find another career as opposed to being a struggling actress for the rest of her life (if you believe they will in fact never make her successful in acting).

I think he's referring to a quote from maybe last year where one of the big guys (Lorre, Prady, or Molaro) said Penny would never become a famous actress.  I think that is why some people want her to find another career as opposed to being a struggling actress for the rest of her life (if you believe they will in fact never make her successful in acting).

Being a famous actor is out of the question, but she could find modest success in acting work. The role on NCIS is an example. But yes, I'd like to see the character find an attainable career path, even if it is just a back-up plan. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/14/big-bang-theory-sheldon-amy-paleyfest_n_2874987.html

Just don't expect Penny to suddenly become a breakout star, even after her starring role in "A Streetcar Named Desire." Prady noted, "She did good at her play. I think this is a very realistic portrayal of a struggling actress in Los Angeles. The thing that happens to the Pennys of the world, who were the lead in all their school plays, is that they move to Los Angeles and meet all the other leads from all the other school plays and then they compete. She's done little theater and she had a TV commercial, and I think that's about right for that kind of career.

God, that sound so dismissive.....

The difference is that it's a lot less menial, isn't a dead-end position, and would probably allow her to be treated with more respect. This would be a temporary thing. Personally, I'd ultimately love to see her get her real estate license or go into the business world. But this would give her some experience. TCF is a reminder of all the dreams that have been unmet, so I think anything would be better than that. 

Being Sheldon or Amy's assistant would be equally as menial as being a waitress on TCF and if that is a reminder of all her unmet dreams, so would be this new job you propose. Anything short of fulfilling her dreams would be. Sorry but I din't see a big difference between being Amy's or Sheldon assistant and waitressing at TCF.

Okay this is off the wall, but what if Penny went for an audition, only to find out it was a job interview and ended up with a job at a studio.  It wouldn't be acting, but it would be in the business.  It would also get her close to handsome actors, that would cause more conflict with Leonard, which the writers seem to savor to write their comedy around them.

I actually think this is a wonderful idea. It wouldn't be her dream, but I guess in a sense it would put her closer to her dream, in her mind at least. And even if the handsome actors/conflict with Leonard avenue isn't explored there are several new types of situations that would arise from her being in this previously unseen (in TBBT) workplace.

Why would Penny change her mind about continuing her acting career?  Just because she took a risky move in quitting the CCF doesn't mean that she's going to suddenly have a complete career change.  If Penny wants to concentrate on her acting career so much that she would take that big step, why would she want to get another non-acting job or start a business or sell real estate?

Exactly. If she went as far as quitting her only source of income, I believe she's more committed than ever to make her acting career work.

I have never understood why people want to change her so completely--have her get a degree, work in an office, whatever.  Just because her career choice is not a straight-laced office job or whatever doesn't mean that it's unworthy.  Yeah, it's hard to break through and be successful, but it's not impossible.

I also agree with this. I don't see her in an office job, or as someones's assistant or something of the sort. Short of achieving her dream nothing else will do for her, and getting a job at an office would be roughly equivalent to her job at TCF, since it wouldn't be what she ultimately wants.

Yeah, it's shocking that she should just quit, but she's not asking Leonard to support her and she's not asking his permission to quit her job.  They're not engaged or married or anything and though he may think she's made a rash decision, again, it's her decision alone.

Eventhough she's not asking for Leonard's support he would likely end up being the one she'd have to end up turning to for support. I guess most people question her impulsiveness because she doesn't have anything else to fall back on. In my view she should have told Leonard, not so he'd make the decision for her, but if for nothing else, to include him en her life, and at least hear what he had to say. Telling him afterwards is almost worthless IMO.

• Like 1

It's totally rubbish, even I was almost in a commercial and I'm not even an actor. It's easy to get commercial work.

I have heard them say or infer that more than once, it is sort of the plot of the show.  Penny comes to California to be a Star, but she gets something better, she gets Leonard, who changes her life, for the better, along with his little band of friends.

• Like 3

It's totally rubbish, even I was almost in a commercial and I'm not even an actor. It's easy to get commercial work.

That statement is is pure bullshit. It is not easy to get commercial work. If you are SAG, you are not allowed, by SAG rules, to work on non-SAG projects. So those non-SAG commercials that you say are easy to get, are only open to non-SAG actors, and there are a lot of those non-SAG actors, cutting down your chances. Not to mention, that if you are SAG, the average SAG actor makes 20k or so a year. Kaley makes roughly 8 million a year, that's 400 other actors making zero for the year, to get that average. If you include Johnny and Jim, you now have 1200 actors making zero. Does that sound easy to you? You may have almost gotten a commercial one time, simply because you happened to be similar to what they were looking for, for that particular commercial. Doesn't mean you would fit any other commercials, or fit the picture the director or producer has for any other commercials.

• Like 7

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

I very much liked Lionne's analysis of the Penny-Leonard power conundrum. I am concerned that we may have a paradox holding Lenny back. We have the premise that Penny should not commit to Leonard without career success, Yet The Word of God says that she will never have that success as an actress. Are we stuck?

Another paradox is that Penny values her independence greatly, yet the sort of independence implies by many in the thread is incompatible with Lenny moving forward. She cannot remain alone in her apartment, and have the relationship move forward. She will have to surrender some degree of independence for there to be a fully developed relationship with Leonard.

I think this idea that Penny needs career success and substantial independence is not fully supported by what we've seen so far. Penny has made no specific conditions on her future proposal to Leonard, except that it will be for love. That condtion was fulfilled last season. Further, Leonard expects no career success on her part, as she hasn't had any so far, yet he still adores her. Penny is also not one to have a list of conditions for her to do something. She navigates her life by feel. When it feels right, she'll propose seriously. (I am hoping that the actual show will take some of the sting out of Penny's ill considered proposal, since as Lionne points out, she basically was using Leonard to make herself feel better. It cheapened their relationship, and Penny.)

• Like 1

I guess I'm in the extreme minority, but I don't see Penny's proposal as any worse than Leonard's proposal during sex or to one-up another couple. Those were equally ill-considered, rash, and under not-so-great circumstances just as this one was, but I've also interpreted them as being sincere. They're not proper proposals but maybe that's part of the point, it doesn't matter how it happens but rather that it's with the right person. That's why I'm hoping that if/when the proposal #3 is discussed, it involves a meaningful conversation between the two of them that ends with them deciding to get engaged. Minimalistic, I know, but I feel like that would be more fitting than a fourth proposal at this point. 

• Like 1

That statement is is pure bullshit. It is not easy to get commercial work. If you are SAG, you are not allowed, by SAG rules, to work on non-SAG projects. So those non-SAG commercials that you say are easy to get, are only open to non-SAG actors, and there are a lot of those non-SAG actors, cutting down your chances. Not to mention, that if you are SAG, the average SAG actor makes 20k or so a year. Kaley makes roughly 8 million a year, that's 400 other actors making zero for the year, to get that average. If you include Johnny and Jim, you now have 1200 actors making zero. Does that sound easy to you? You may have almost gotten a commercial one time, simply because you happened to be similar to what they were looking for, for that particular commercial. Doesn't mean you would fit any other commercials, or fit the picture the director or producer has for any other commercials.

Seconded. I know first hand because I've been out in California for several years now and going on auditions. Getting commercial work is hard as hell, even the non-union work.

I guess I'm in the extreme minority, but I don't see Penny's proposal as any worse than Leonard's proposal during sex or to one-up another couple. Those were equally ill-considered, rash, and under not-so-great circumstances just as this one was, but I've also interpreted them as being sincere. They're not proper proposals but maybe that's part of the point, it doesn't matter how it happens but rather that it's with the right person. That's why I'm hoping that if/when the proposal #3 is discussed, it involves a meaningful conversation between the two of them that ends with them deciding to get engaged. Minimalistic, I know, but I feel like that would be more fitting than a fourth proposal at this point.

I believe you are correct, the writers will travel down that minimalist road. Back in 6.03 Penny stated that her and Leonard were in a 5 year experiment. It is now up to 6-1/2 years and they still aren't engaged. The show is about to be extended for at least another 3 years. The writers already have one married couple to write about and they probably don't want to have to stress themselves out having to come up with two story lines for married couples. Then you have the living arrangement issues for them to deal with. However, on top of all that you have the dreaded "change" factor. They would have to change the total dynamic of the two main story lines of the show from its beginning. Leonard's pursuit of the seemingly impossible of a nerd winning over the beautiful girl across the hall and secondly (and probably more importantly) the total changing of their precious Shelly. TPTB are deathly afraid of killing the golden goose and they have no idea of the audience's reaction if those two main dynamics change drastically, especially as I stated earlier their quirky, bat crap crazy Shelly. Therefore, they'll most likely proceed with their stalling tactics and creep along. They'll give us a phony proposal here and there to tease us Lenny fans but then they will also do things like having Penny quit her job to string the process on even longer. They will do the same with Shelly and AFF which helps them to the same end. If we see a proposal of any legitimacy it now most likely not happen until next season IMO. Edited by SodidIwin?

I agree with you that neither proposal by Leonard was "a serious" effort. Anything said while in the throes of coitus should be ignored, and quite frankly, I think Penny made too big a deal out of it. The Valentine's Day proposal was also not "serious". Both proposals were as unconsidered as Penny's so hers was not better or worse than Leonard's two on-screen proposals. It is implied there were others by Leonard, but we have no details of them. One way to summarize the three proposals is as follows. Leonard's first proposal was basically "I want to keep having sex with you forever". The second was "I want to divert you from your obsession with the other couple and refocus on our wonderful evening". Penny's proposal was essentially "I'm feeling bad at having wasted my life so let's get Leonard to fall over me".

However, I think the deeper meaning is that they both now recognize deep down that they want to keep each other in their lives. The one discussion they had in "The Tangible Affection Proof" is the single most significant discussion they've had about their relationship, and confirmed that marriage is where they are headed (note the use of the word "Proof" in the title.).

I don't think they can leave Lenny static, nor can they split them up. The audience is better for a progressing Lenny, and a static Shamy. Leonard is the audience surrogate in the show - the person through whose eyes we see things, and as the most relatable character. The audience wants to win, and that means Leonard gets Penny. Sheldon is actually a trickster figure, in that he is mostly a positive force, but stirs up conflict all the same. Everyone else are mostly foils.

I agree with SodidIwin?, in that the next real step will be Leonard and Penny having another "Tangible Affection Proof" talk, where they actually move the relationship forward. I think one possibility is a secret engagement, I suspect part of Penny's issues are she doesn't handle, for herself, a lot of the girly stuff associated with weddings, and is actually very private about her relationship with Leonard. I think her relationship with him, unlike her other relationships, is very special and so outside her expectations that she wants to keep it to herself. The sexual aspect is an example. The girls fully expected Zack to be awesome in bed due to his looks and general studliness, yet Penny finds Leonard better ("he's a genius" to quote Penny). Everytime the notion of their physical relationship comes up, Penny gets demure and reticent. So one was to handle the insecurities that Leonard and Penny have for each other is to agree, in private, to an engagement. They also agree not to tell anyone, and also agree to spend every night together. After all, it isn't anyone else's business.

• Like 3

I agree with you that neither proposal by Leonard was "a serious" effort. Anything said while in the throes of coitus should be ignored, and quite frankly, I think Penny made too big a deal out of it. The Valentine's Day proposal was also not "serious". Both proposals were as unconsidered as Penny's so hers was not better or worse than Leonard's two on-screen proposals. It is implied there were others by Leonard, but we have no details of them. One way to summarize the three proposals is as follows. Leonard's first proposal was basically "I want to keep having sex with you forever". The second was "I want to divert you from your obsession with the other couple and refocus on our wonderful evening". Penny's proposal was essentially "I'm feeling bad at having wasted my life so let's get Leonard to fall over me".

However, I think the deeper meaning is that they both now recognize deep down that they want to keep each other in their lives. The one discussion they had in "The Tangible Affection Proof" is the single most significant discussion they've had about their relationship, and confirmed that marriage is where they are headed (note the use of the word "Proof" in the title.).

I don't think they can leave Lenny static, nor can they split them up. The audience is better for a progressing Lenny, and a static Shamy. Leonard is the audience surrogate in the show - the person through whose eyes we see things, and as the most relatable character. The audience wants to win, and that means Leonard gets Penny. Sheldon is actually a trickster figure, in that he is mostly a positive force, but stirs up conflict all the same. Everyone else are mostly foils.

I agree with SodidIwin?, in that the next real step will be Leonard and Penny having another "Tangible Affection Proof" talk, where they actually move the relationship forward. I think one possibility is a secret engagement, I suspect part of Penny's issues are she doesn't handle, for herself, a lot of the girly stuff associated with weddings, and is actually very private about her relationship with Leonard. I think her relationship with him, unlike her other relationships, is very special and so outside her expectations that she wants to keep it to herself. The sexual aspect is an example. The girls fully expected Zack to be awesome in bed due to his looks and general studliness, yet Penny finds Leonard better ("he's a genius" to quote Penny). Everytime the notion of their physical relationship comes up, Penny gets demure and reticent. So one was to handle the insecurities that Leonard and Penny have for each other is to agree, in private, to an engagement. They also agree not to tell anyone, and also agree to spend every night together. After all, it isn't anyone else's business.

Would that then be Beta Test 3.0: The Coupling Increment Alteration?

How many more revision will be needed due to the stalling game that is taking place. I mean come, enough already!

I agree, I think they can get to a point where the stalling will make fans ask, do these two really belong together because they can't seem to make it work. That then destroys the whole original plot of the show.

• Like 4

How many more revision will be needed due to the stalling game that is taking place. I mean come, enough already!

"They" have been stalling all couples, Lenny, Shamy and Howardette for sometime now.

After last season ending, I'm afraid of what they will do to either of them.

Mainly because they simply seem to make some progress (wether its d&d sex, Leonard leaving for a long time), they simply disregard it in the next season.

They might just do that again this season.

I agree, I think they can get to a point where the stalling will make fans ask, do these two really belong together because they can't seem to make it work. That then destroys the whole original plot of the show.

When I think about revisions, I'm thinking a significant relationship upgrade (i.e. a secret engagement). Lenny is therefore solid and they don't have to change the group dynamic too fast. My point is really that they can find ways to move Lenny forward without changing things too much.

I feel like the writers are responsible for the need to readdress the proposal situation, since they brought it up. It is a Lenny hot button that could have been left alone. After "The Tangible Affection Proof", Lenny were good and on the same page. The Las Vegas wedding actually did demand that this be brought up again. They could have easily done more with Raj and Stewart or Shamy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

About the L/P relationship, I do not get what the writers really want us to think.

Because everytime I see Penny and Leonard I can't forget this moment on Valentine's day at the restaurant where Penny was really jealous about her ex bf and his new gf, paying no attention to Leonard and pointing out that she doesn't have the life she deserves.

I took it like a proof of Penny's real feelings, just like she's hiding it all the time because she's trying to act wisely and save that kind of security she's got with leonard.

I don't see a love growing up, I only see a frustrated girl who tries to cope with what is given to her, but she's not really happy, she's still a girl who dreams of a better life.

So now I'm watching S7 there is some kind of bitter taste in the L/P relationship 

• Like 2

About the L/P relationship, I do not get what the writers really want us to think.

Because everytime I see Penny and Leonard I can't forget this moment on Valentine's day at the restaurant where Penny was really jealous about her ex bf and his new gf, paying no attention to Leonard and pointing out that she doesn't have the life she deserves.

I took it like a proof of Penny's real feelings, just like she's hiding it all the time because she's trying to act wisely and save that kind of security she's got with leonard.

I don't see a love growing up, I only see a frustrated girl who tries to cope with what is given to her, but she's not really happy, she's still a girl who dreams of a better life.

So now I'm watching S7 there is some kind of bitter taste in the L/P relationship

I sort of felt the same way when I saw that scene. What was she missing? Did Gretchen have a successful acting career? It didn't seem to be her point. Gretchen has a successful guy that loves her enough to propose? Penny has that. What is Penny missing?

• Like 1

I sort of felt the same way when I saw that scene. What was she missing? Did Gretchen have a successful acting career? It didn't seem to be her point. Gretchen has a successful guy that loves her enough to propose? Penny has that. What is Penny missing?

It wasn't about Gretchen at all.  Gretchen was simply the trigger for Penny  to try and destroy the evening.   There could have been a couple of things working there.  One, she didn't feel she deserves Leonard and that was just an effort to prove that she didn't deserve him.  Two, it could be just as she said when they discussed it later in her apartment.  The idea of getting married forever, scares her.  That temper tantrum at the restaurant was simply her way of messing up the relationship.  The thinking there is if she messes up the relationship,  she doesn't have to worry about the thing that scares her, getting married.   

• Like 4