The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Hopefully it will make Penny realize she can't take Leonard for granted any more.  She used to sort of take him for granted (like on the V-day episode where she obsessed about a past boyfriend and his date instead of paying attention to him).   So perhaps this is just what Penny needs (even though it will be a bit sad to see her pining for him and then calling when he is partying).   Did anyone think that the party could be related to the fact their project could have been completed and they would be returning home?  I sort of thought it sounded like it might be a last time celebration kind of thing before they all disbanded and went their separate ways back home.  

I agree from an earlier post that we want all the couples happy, but they need to do some work on Shamy.   Sheldon treated Amy pretty lousy toward the latter half of the season so they have some work to get them back to being more "together" in a sense.   The D&D was a good start, but they need to move forward from there and have him start treating her more like she is truly his girlfriend and not an albatross around his neck.   As much as I want the science stuff to come back, I want it to be in a way that they grow closer and not keep it as negative as it was the latter half of last season between them.  Sorry I know this wasn't L/P related, but it was brought up about wanting the couples happy and fit that conversation.  

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 1

Because things in the Lenny relationship always seemed to favor Penny and Leonard had put up with a lot of grief. Season 6 with the appearance of Alex started to swing things more his way but to me she still has a little ways to go to "catch up". And Penny is my favorite character on the show so I'm definitely not anti-Penny.

It's not just Alex. I'd ask you to consider the Valentine's Day episode as the turning point. Penny knew she acted terribly at the restaurant and after Leonard gave her hell for that, she was afraid Leonard was breaking up with her, because of actions and commitment phobia. Leonard hasn't shown any insecurity about the relationship the entire second half of the season. Except for Sheldon's comment in the car, in the season finale. All the insecurity he been Penny's.

• Like 1

Hopefully it will make Penny realize she can't take Leonard for granted any more.  She used to sort of take him for granted (like on the V-day episode where she obsessed about a past boyfriend and his date instead of paying attention to him).   So perhaps this is just what Penny needs (even though it will be a bit sad to see her pining for him and then calling when he is partying).   Did anyone think that the party could be related to the fact their project could have been completed and they would be returning home?  I sort of thought it sounded like it might be a last time celebration kind of thing before they all disbanded and went their separate ways back home.  

I agree from an earlier post that we want all the couples happy, but they need to do some work on Shamy.   Sheldon treated Amy pretty lousy toward the latter half of the season so they have some work to get them back to being more "together" in a sense.   The D&D was a good start, but they need to move forward from there and have him start treating her more like she is truly his girlfriend and not an albatross around his neck.   As much as I want the science stuff to come back, I want it to be in a way that they grow closer and not keep it as negative as it was the latter half of last season between them.  Sorry I know this wasn't L/P related, but it was brought up about wanting the couples happy and fit that conversation.  

I think that already happened with Pria, then Alex. But things right now remind me of S2 transistioning to S3, Penny missed Leonard so much and that was the basis of their relationship. Things seem to have a balance now more then they did back then. Things work between Lenny now because Leonard is treating Penny not like he got with the hot chick, but treating Penny like an actual relationship, and Penny is realizing Leonard is a catch, therefore her feelings are coming through the surface more, and instead of fighting and breaking up like they did in S3, they are now working through any problems and issues that may arise. But it does sound to me Leonard maybe coming home.

It's not just Alex. I'd ask you to consider the Valentine's Day episode as the turning point. Penny knew she acted terribly at the restaurant and after Leonard gave her hell for that, she was afraid Leonard was breaking up with her, because of actions and commitment phobia. Leonard hasn't shown any insecurity about the relationship the entire second half of the season. Except for Sheldon's comment in the car, in the season finale. All the insecurity he been Penny's.

You are correct with the Valentine's episode being the turning point. But Alex started the insecurity.

I think that already happened with Pria, then Alex. But things right now remind me of S2 transistioning to S3, Penny missed Leonard so much and that was the basis of their relationship. Things seem to have a balance now more then they did back then. Things work between Lenny now because Leonard is treating Penny not like he got with the hot chick, but treating Penny like an actual relationship, and Penny is realizing Leonard is a catch, therefore her feelings are coming through the surface more, and instead of fighting and breaking up like they did in S3, they are now working through any problems and issues that may arise. But it does sound to me Leonard maybe coming home.

More Alex than Priya. She was thinking of breaking up with Leonard at the beginning of season 6. Also Alex went after Leonard while Penny was his girlfriend. I think his confidence grew because of this and the valentine's episode was proof.

I had two thoughts about the partying. One - maybe there was a break though on what they were working on; or Two - they were having a good bye party at the end of the trip.  I don't begrudge Leonard having a little funny, after all he doesn't get to enjoy himself that much due to him always worrying about Penny or Sheldon and sometimes his other friends.  I can't think of a time where we as the viewers seen Leonard just have fun.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 4

I had two thought about the partying. One - maybe there was a break though on what they were working on; or Two - they were having a good bye party at the end of the trip.  I don't begrudge Leonard having a little funny, after all he doesn't get to enjoy himself that much due to him always worrying about Penny or Sheldon and sometimes his other friends.  I can't think of a time were we as the viewers seen Leonard just have fun.

And I'm sure everyone well have a welcome home party when he returns, irony is prob less partying and back to being the anchor again haha ;)

When I read the side my impression was that they were having a final celebration at the end of their project. When they made it a point to state there were both male and females in attendance I felt that the writers wanted to make both Penny and the Lenny fans worry. Because in the past Penny would jump to a conclusion and run. The writers have in grained that into L/P fans thinking. So the question is does Penny first feel sad and lonely but then get angry with Leonard or does she feel sad, lonely and understand clearer that he is the one and doesn't want to lose him again?

Does anyone know if the hour long premier is one continuos episode or two separate ones? If it's one continuos episode then the first half hour is going to be making a lot of fans very nervous until they settle things down in the second half hour.

• Like 2

Quick show of hands. Any one perturbed by Leonard having good time while away, without Penny?

I did wonder why he chose that way to describe Leonard's reaction.

I'm thinking they are trying to show something that would not be expected.

• Like 1

I did wonder why he chose that way to describe Leonard's reaction.

I'm thinking they are trying to show something that would not be expected.

Yeah, the expectation is he will be pining, but he has actually FINALLY, left home. It may go to his head. It could be part of the theme for the years. "I am Leonard, hear me roar".

Just puttin' that out there.

(then they puncture his balloon for the funny)

Edited by Nogravitasatall

Until someone mentioned sides, I had no idea what we discussing. I like the idea of Leonard having a good time, as there hasn't been a lot of that not resulting from some seriously heavy lifting on his part (i.e. Penny). Sheldon seems to delight in stomping on any fun he might have. The best example of this I can recall was in the episode where CalTech forced Sheldon to take a vacation. Leonard is driving into work alone (he thinks) and rocking out to the Black Eyed Peas. Sheldon pops up with no warning demanding that he shut up. For a second, we see Leonard ALONE (how often does that happen) and totally having fun. Until the latter half of season six, he was always walking carefully around Penny. It didn't seem like he could just be around her.

In the L/P relationship, I'd like to see Penny more worried and having to work on keeping the relationship going. Not that Leonard having Leonard stray, as it wouldn't be right for his character, but that Penny realizes and acts as if the relationship were something precious to her. The closure episode point out a basic problem of hers - she's lazy. Wouldn't it be cool if she had watched all of Leonard's Buffy DVDs?

• Like 4

Because things in the Lenny relationship always seemed to favor Penny and Leonard had put up with a lot of grief. Season 6 with the appearance of Alex started to swing things more his way but to me she still has a little ways to go to "catch up". And Penny is my favorite character on the show so I'm definitely not anti-Penny.

I'm reconsidering the scales of justice thing. I don't want her to suffer, other than from missing him, to which she has consented anyway; and that's punishment enough. He's not going to step out on her we are fairly certain, he's just going to get preoccupied, is my hope. Take her for granted just a little. Then the reunion.

• Like 1

Be kinda cool if Penny's way of dealing with missing Leonard was if she watched all of Leonards Star Trek films, and read all his comic books haha prob wont happen, but it would put a twist on things..

• Like 1

Perhaps some are reading too much into them having a party on the ship that Leonard is on.  I don't think it's going to be akin to something like a singles cruise.   IMO it will most likely be something along the line of them celebrating that they were successful in their experiment or that they are just celebrating that the whole thing is finally over.  It's not the love boat and it's not a cruise ship.   It's not a big deal and I expect it will be used as a vehicle to laugh at some of the things that Leaonard says to Penny. 

• Like 3

Perhaps some are reading too much into them having a party on the ship that Leonard is on.  I don't think it's going to be akin to something like a singles cruise.   IMO it will most likely be something along the line of them celebrating that they were successful in their experiment or that they are just celebrating that the whole thing is finally over.  It's not the love boat and it's not a cruise ship.   It's not a big deal and I expect it will be used as a vehicle to laugh at some of the things that Leaonard says to Penny.

You are right, it is a comedy and this is a funny flip of expectations. But it's only a moment too. Hawking's team can't piss all the grant money over the side. Good thing he's not doing climate science. Someone might quote the show as a source on how scientists get up to hijinks.

• Like 2

I agree with you. Even if I liked the more carefreee Penny of earlier seasons, I also like the fact that Lenny looks more like a real relationsip. As you said Leonard doesn't treat her like a prize but like a real person, and willing to look past her faults because he really loves her, not only because she is beautiful, but because of who she is as a person, and Penny doesn't just love him because he is the "guy who doesn't hurt her, and will never leave her", but because of who he is. She also knows that he could actually leave her, but doesn't, and knows that he'll stand by her. 

• Like 5

I had an Idea for this season. Since Leonard's working with Hawking, it's a good bet that he'll show up at some point. I'd like to see a conversation between Hawking, Leonard and Penny where Sheldon isn't involved except as someone mentioned in passing. Something along the lines of Hawking asking how they put-up with Sheldon, or even better it turns out Penny is a distant relative of Hawking's. Either situation (or both together) would drive Sheldon nuttier.

• Like 2

I had an Idea for this season. Since Leonard's working with Hawking, it's a good bet that he'll show up at some point. I'd like to see a conversation between Hawking, Leonard and Penny where Sheldon isn't involved except as someone mentioned in passing. Something along the lines of Hawking asking how they put-up with Sheldon, or even better it turns out Penny is a distant relative of Hawking's. Either situation (or both together) would drive Sheldon nuttier.

The bold part would be interesting, so I can fairly say it won't happen. The focus won't be on Sheldon and I don't see the writers going there.  Sheldon has to be the focus point when major players (i.e. stars, scientists, ...) are on the show.  I know a few times that it has been about the other characters, but it's mainly always Sheldon that is used.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 1

I think the show has changed some from being a sitcom to being a mix of drama and comedy, and that is the reason viewership has increased because it plays now to a larger viewer group. Penny and Leonard's relationship has always had a little drama in it, so season 6 increasing that drama has only been good for the show. I also think that a lot of people like girls getting together and doing stuff as much as the guys.

• Like 1

I think the show has changed some from being a sitcom to being a mix of drama and comedy, and that is the reason viewership has increased because it plays now to a larger viewer group. Penny and Leonard's relationship has always had a little drama in it, so season 6 increasing that drama has only been good for the show. I also think that a lot of people like girls getting together and doing stuff as much as the guys.

I think s4 was the most dramatic (Eta. with the most at stake).It was not gentle to Penny at all. They have pushed a lot harder on the likeability pedal since ep100. And they have sort of serialised the show by having the continuing stories, so people tune in not just for the hijinks but also to find out what happens next to the characters. They really only have simple stories to tell too, between the gags, and they are eking those stories out. The extra characters help them manage the dilution and as you say, broaden the appeal.

For me, it's mostly the story I follow now, with the comedy leavening the light drama. If that's the case for the viewership then we are in for slow progression as they stretch out the inevitable. As long as they hit some milestones and don't break anything again I can probably live with that.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

Yeah, I like the character progression mixed with the comedy, that is probably the reason I like Penny and Leonard so much their relationship has been there the whole show, so I enjoy seeing it progress.

• Like 3

The bold part would be interesting, so I can fairly say it won't happen. The focus won't be on Sheldon and I don't see the writers going there.  Sheldon has to be the focus point when major players (i.e. stars, scientists, ...) are on the show.  I know a few times that it has been about the other characters, but it's mainly always Sheldon that is used.

Think about that "The bold part would be interesting, so I can fairly say it won't happen." It's sad that they would pass-up something interesting just because Sheldon isn't the focus.