The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Yeah, the taping is Tuesday the fourteenth, five days after the next episode.   Those five days are going to be fun….

This episode was so much more dramatic then I expected. I am really wondering about next week, if it carries out the drama. I am really wondering what they are going to do about Penny's income. I really hope they continue the plot line in the next episodes.

• Like 1

I loved the show last night. I liked the heightened drama of the episode and I thought that Johnny was absolutely perfect in his anguish/despair. When his voice broke a little when he said he didn't ask Penny if they were still together because he was afraid of the answer, I nearly cried. I thought he did wonderfully last night.

With Penny quitting TCF next week, I can't help but wonder about L/P's finances. Tonight, when Leonard asked the florist how much 100 long stemmed red roses would cost, and after hearing the amount, dropped the number down to the cost of three. Something's up. We know from the past that Leonard has been paying Penny's expenses, we haven't seen anything recently, but that little line made me think that the coffer is close to dry.  

• Like 2

I loved the show last night. I liked the heightened drama of the episode and I thought that Johnny was absolutely perfect in his anguish/despair. When his voice broke a little when he said he didn't ask Penny if they were still together because he was afraid of the answer, I nearly cried. I thought he did wonderfully last night.

With Penny quitting TCF next week, I can't help but wonder about L/P's finances. Tonight, when Leonard asked the florist how much 100 long stemmed red roses would cost, and after hearing the amount, dropped the number down to the cost of three. Something's up. We know from the past that Leonard has been paying Penny's expenses, we haven't seen anything recently, but that little line made me think that the coffer is close to dry.  

I just checked the price of 100 long stemmed Roses. About $240-350! That's a lot to cheer someone up! He probably wanted them right away, (it was on a Wednesday evening) so he would have had to order them from a local florist, so no online deals.

Edited by eirwinrommel

I notice this too and I thought it was a throw away line all for a joke. I can also be wrong about it being a joke and it could between paydays? We may find out down the line or it will be dropped.

I give mad props to Johnny and Kaley on their acting in this episode and I guess that is why it got to me so much. I felt both Leonard and Penny pain.

I just checked the price of 100 long stemmed Roses. About $350! That's a lot to cheer someone up!

You aren't kidding about that being a lot to cheer someone up!

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 5

I notice this too and I thought it was a throw away line all for a joke. I can also be wrong about it being a joke and it could between paydays? We may find out down the line or it will be dropped.

I give mad props to Johnny and Kaley on their acting in this episode and I guess that is why it got to me so much. I felt both Leonard and Penny pain.

You aren't kidding about that being a lot to cheer someone up!

Totally agree. The acting between them was phenomenal hands down.

• Like 3

Penny is a one rose for no reason kind of girl. He made the right choice there with just a couple. She knows how much they are from earlier and the ostentation would actually depress her. Money is always an issue with her, and for Leonard to spend that much money on flowers would have had the opposite effect of cheering her up. It would have highlighted her financial predicaments. I doubt that it means Leonard can't afford it with his salary, but that it was the wrong message to send.

• Like 2

I don't know why so many people keep bringing up bad expectations. Most of the people here know the taping report for 7.13 and we know, that the episode includes a intensive talk about the proposal. We also know that the episode ends with Leonard and Penny happy together. The last part of the taping report (where Dana doesn't know what they talked about) is probably about finances. Leonard is (understandable) upset about her quitting the CF and has every right to discuss such things with her. Where is she going to live? How will she pay her rent? Food? I think that's the scene from the promo where he says "We have to discuss our relationship" or something.

Don't forget that he says he's proud of her for doing it in the end and it ends good for them! For me, this thing is solved!

I don't know why so many people keep bringing up bad expectations. Most of the people here know the taping report for 7.13 and we know, that the episode includes a intensive talk about the proposal. We also know that the episode ends with Leonard and Penny happy together. The last part of the taping report (where Dana doesn't know what they talked about) is probably about finances. Leonard is (understandable) upset about her quitting the CF and has every right to discuss such things with her. Where is she going to live? How will she pay her rent? Food? I think that's the scene from the promo where he says "We have to discuss our relationship" or something.

Don't forget that he says he's proud of her for doing it in the end and it ends good for them! For me, this thing is solved!

I can see being upset and down on the episode thread if you don't know what's happening next week. I think the food,rent, and living accomodations will eventually become a factor but IMO not an immediate concern. Bringing it up right away is assuming Penny endeavor isn't going to work. Odds are it isn't but if I were Leonard I wouldn't have that discussion right away. To me that would be a better girl discussiom.

I can see being upset and down on the episode thread if you don't know what's happening next week. I think the food,rent, and living accomodations will eventually become a factor but IMO not an immediate concern. Bringing it up right away is assuming Penny endeavor isn't going to work. Odds are it isn't but if I were Leonard I wouldn't have that discussion right away. To me that would be a better girl discussiom.

I think people were so surprised this episode had so much drama, that was not really represented in the taping report and was totally unexpected, we are reading that into the next episode. But you could be right, this may not be a set up for them getting engaged, but more of to show Penny as trying to make it an actress.

• Like 2

I think people were so surprised this episode had so much drama, that was not really represented in the taping report and was totally unexpected, we are reading that into the next episode. But you could be right, this may not be a set up for them getting engaged, but more of to show Penny as trying to make it an actress.

How many times though do we see a taping report and then the actual episode is so much different in feel from the report. It's the difference between the script and what the actors add to the script. We have to wait for the episode. Look at the finale last year, all sorts of people were upset with the way Penny appeared to react to Leonard leaving, but with the addition of the emotion, the scene took on a whole different feeling.

• Like 3

How many times though do we see a taping report and then the actual episode is so much different in feel from the report. It's the difference between the script and what the actors add to the script. We have to wait for the episode. Look at the finale last year, all sorts of people were upset with the way Penny appeared to react to Leonard leaving, but with the addition of the emotion, the scene took on a whole different feeling.

I re-watched the episode again and the acting Johnny and Kaley did was great, they really nailed their parts. I also watched the proposal scene again, if you watch her movements, she is tipsy, but it was really a no win situation for Leonard. I saw someone else say this but Leonard was honestly trying to help her but he has always had trouble making Penny understand what he is trying to see.

• Like 2

Leonard really was a jerk in the Penny clearly wasn't drunk, so he wouldn't have been taking advantage. He definitely should have said yes. I wasn't big on the idea of her proposing in the first place, and now I definitely don't want to see her do it again. That was miles ahead of both of his and he essentially said no. 

And of course we could count on you and your Leonard bashing. It never fails. You, of all people who were soooooooo critical of Leonard's 2 past proposals (shown in the show). How is this any different? It wasn't a serious proposal, as much as the one after coitus and the VD episode one weren't. You cannot be so hypocritical to say the first two were not OK but this one was. First of all Penny was impaired, and second of all she was only doing it to make herself feel better.

• Like 2

And of course we could count on you and your Leonard bashing. It never fails. You, of all people who were soooooooo critical of Leonard's 2 past proposals (shown in the show). How is this any different? It wasn't a serious proposal, as much as the one after coitus and the VD episode one weren't. You cannot be so hypocritical to say the first two were not OK but this one was. First of all Penny was impaired, and second of all she was only doing it to make herself feel better.

I think others covered what you said. What's ironic to me is Daisy thought Leonard should have said yes but since this is the spoiler we know she was happy he didn't and then she's concerned about Penny's career but then Penny quits her job.

Yes, Chrismo, I know. When I read Daisy's original post I just quoted it and answered without continuing to read the whole thread. That being said, her views couldn't be more different than mine if we tried :-)

Yes, Chrismo, I know. When I read Daisy's original post I just quoted it and answered without continuing to read the whole thread. That being said, her views couldn't be more different than mine if we tried :-)

In actually I don't totally agree with you either.. While all the proposals were equally bad and her reaction to Leonard's response made her seem to feel sorry for herself I think her proposal was more of a reaction to Leonard's "you have me" to show for your ten years here. I know I'm repeating myself but her 10 years in CA and nothing to show for it IMO had nothing to do with him.
  • Like 2

Well, I would have liked Leonard to have said yes. First, unless he managed to marry Penny before she sobered up, it wouldn't be 'taking advantage' of her. It's not like they just met or had not been having sex for a while now, so I don't see how saying yes would be 'taking advantage'. Second I could see the conversation the next morning.

Leonard: Hi, Love Bug, so tell me... did you want a long engagement or should we just get married today?

Penny: Yeah... About that...

Leonard: Oh, I know you weren't serious, but I couldn't resist the chance to enjoy it for one night. Now that you've got past the first proposal the next one will be easier. So what do you want to do today? Bye the way, do you think Sheldon told anyone we got engaged?

I can see an entire episode around clearing up the 'news' and discussing what to do when they do get engaged.

• Like 3

Well, I would have liked Leonard to have said yes. First, unless he managed to marry Penny before she sobered up, it wouldn't be 'taking advantage' of her. It's not like they just met or had not been having sex for a while now, so I don't see how saying yes would be 'taking advantage'. Second I could see the conversation the next morning.

Leonard: Hi, Love Bug, so tell me... did you want a long engagement or should we just get married today?

Leonard: Oh, I know you weren't serious, but I couldn't resist the chance to enjoy it for one night. Now that you've got past the first proposal the next one will be easier. So what do you want to do today? Bye the way, do you think Sheldon told anyone we got engaged?

I can see an entire episode around clearing up the 'news' and discussing what to do when they do get engaged.

Yeah, I just think it would have been nice if he'd gone along with it after she'd already been dealt so many blows that night. Certainly wouldn't have made anything worse, and there's a decent possibility she would have still meant it. I thought she did. Penny says he did the right thing next episode, but the episode ended with Leonard saying he did the wrong thing. 

Yeah, I just think it would have been nice if he'd gone along with it after she'd already been dealt so many blows that night. Certainly wouldn't have made anything worse, and there's a decent possibility she would have still meant it. I thought she did. Penny says he did the right thing next episode, but the episode ended with Leonard saying he did the wrong thing.

Some of the blows were self inflicted. The reality is and that's some of the L/P conflict is she has had two paid acting gigs in the six she's known Leonard. The odds are Leonard is right about her chances. Penny never wanted to marry Leonard being a waitress at TCF and that looks like that won't happen. But now she is unemployed and I don't think she wants to be engaged in that scenerio either. That's why she told Leonard he did the right thing. Leonard has always overanalyzed everything he's done. The only thing he knows for sure is he wants to end up with Penny.

Some of the blows were self inflicted. The reality is and that's some of the L/P conflict is she has had two paid acting gigs in the six she's known Leonard. The odds are Leonard is right about her chances. Penny never wanted to marry Leonard being a waitress at TCF and that looks like that won't happen. But now she is unemployed and I don't think she wants to be engaged in that scenerio either. That's why she told Leonard he did the right thing. Leonard has always overanalyzed everything he's done. The only thing he knows for sure is he wants to end up with Penny.

That's why I'm currently most interested in seeing a storyline about Penny's career and hope to see something good come from it. I know a lot are upset that's she is turning to Sheldon but right now he is the one offering her moral support. It won't turn into a romantic relationship, so I am actually looking forward to it. In LA there are a lot of jobs in the entertainment industry, both in acting and BTS, so she could get a job in that arena as well. 

Edited by DaisyJane

I didn't catch that Leonard thought he did the wrong thing in refusing her proposal.  To me, I felt he was wondering why he did reject it.  His dream was right there in front of him and he didn't take it.  With his needing to analyze everything, I bet he wondered what hidden motives there were with that in addition to thinking that he possibly blew it with Penny for good.

As far as Sheldon agreeing with Penny, I think Lenny is going to need a Sheldon-ectomy very soon....

• Like 4

I didn't catch that Leonard thought he did the wrong thing in refusing her proposal.  To me, I felt he was wondering why he did reject it.  His dream was right there in front of him and he didn't take it.  With his needing to analyze everything, I bet he wondered what hidden motives there were with that in addition to thinking that he possibly blew it with Penny for good.

As far as Sheldon agreeing with Penny, I think Lenny is going to need a Sheldon-ectomy very soon....

Not sure about that, he showed a moment of genuine concern for Leonard and they seemed to get along better last night then they have in a while. I don't see those two being separated by the writers anytime soon. 

;

Desert Fox you make a very good point, how is Leonard taking advantage of her if it is something that can be completely reversed the next day. It is not like he was taking her to Las Vegas, getting her drunk, then while partying, then marrying her. If he did say yes, like you propose, then gave her a way out the next day, that would not be taking advantage of her. Edited by SRAM
  • Like 1

Not sure about that, he showed a moment of genuine concern for Leonard and they seemed to get along better last night then they have in a while. I don't see those two being separated by the writers anytime soon. 

I agree that Sheldon showed concern for Leonard.  I think Sheldon cares about them all in his own way.  And whether the writers do it or not does not negate the fact that I think Sheldon needs to keep his nose out of the Lenny and be more concerned with the Shamy...

• Like 7

I agree that Sheldon showed concern for Leonard.  I think Sheldon cares about them all in his own way.  And whether the writers do it or not does not negate the fact that I think Sheldon needs to keep his nose out of the Lenny and be more concerned with the Shamy...

I too wish for the same. I am so ready for Leonard to cut the cord with the man/child that is Sheldon. It should have happen a while ago.

• Like 3

I too wish for the same. I am so ready for Leonard to cut the cord with the man/child that is Sheldon. It should have happen a while ago.

While I agree with this somewhat, I think Leonard should cut the cord in certain ways.  I would kind of miss the Leonard/Sheldon dynamic if they messed with it too much...