Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

While I agree with this somewhat, I think Leonard should cut the cord in certain ways.  I would kind of miss the Leonard/Sheldon dynamic if they messed with it too much...

There can still be interaction/dynamic between L/S doesn't mean they still have to live together for this to happen, imo.

Edited by ArmyGirl
  • Like 4

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true Tensor.   The most consistent motif the writers have used with Penny is her insecurity about her intelligence and judgement. It pops up constantly in several episodes a season, starting with

Bullshit. My wife and I have OUR money. If money is budgeted for her to get clothes or for me to get clothes, neither one of us is giving the other money for clothes, we are using OUR money to get clo

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while tryi

Posted Images

Desert Fox you make a very good point, how is Leonard taking advantage of her if it is something that can be completely reversed the next day. It is not like he was taking her to Las Vegas, getting her drunk, then while partying, then marrying her. If he did say yes, like you propose, then gave her a way out the next day, that would not be taking advantage of her.

That's been my point all along. I never believed that Leonard would force Penny to get married based on her buzzed/drunk proposal. I hoped that in the light of day, that she'd decide to go with it though. As she said she expects to eventually get married to Leonard anyway, so why continue to put it off.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 2

There can still be interaction/dynamic between L/S doesn't mean they still have to live together for this to happen, imo.

Oh totally agree that they need not live together anymore for them to have interaction.  They can meet outside by the elevator... :dancer:

• Like 1

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while trying to comfort Penny, but his attempt was sincere. However, when she asked him point blank and he was honest, Penny jumped all over him and took everything out of context, something you would expect someone to do when everything is going wrong.When Penny came over after the Star Wars debacle, she was really down on herself. At that time, Leonard was supportive, instead of totally honest, AND PENNY STILL JUMPED ON HIM. She said she felt like everything was falling apart and Leonard tried to tell her it was OK, and she says it's not OK and starts listing all the things that have gone wrong with her career, raising her voice at him. She finally says she's such a mess and Leonard says "No, you're not" and she goes off again, explaining about her underwear falling out of her pant leg. Leonard explains its a minor set back, and she again raises her voice about how she's been there for ten years and has nothing to show for it. Was she raising her voice at Leonard? I don't think so, she was just venting on how everything was going wrong, but it certainly could appear as if she was getting down on Leonard.Now, before I get jumped on, I want to point out two things. One, Penny wasn't trying to be a bitch in this, she was simply trying to get a handle on how her life seem to be falling apart. And, to Penny's credit, she did come to apologize and tell Leonard that she wasn't mad at him, she was upset with herself (we've seen her lashing out Leonard before, when she was upset with herself. Again, that does not make it right, but it is a normal human reaction). She then gets rejected (albeit for very good reasons) and now even the good thing that she was reminded she had, has gone bad in her mind. That does not excuse her from jumping on Leonard, but it does make it understandable, so she has to be cut some slack in her reactions.Two, all Leonard wanted to do was to help the woman he loves. Could he have done it better? Yes. Could he have been more sincere? I don't think so. Leonard kept digging his own hole, when trying to comfort Penny in her apartment. He just needed to shut up and hold her. Leonard did everything he could to make it better, he just didn't realize that making it better was beyond his control. He is trying, the best he knows how and (as we've heard from the taping report next week, he gets it wrong again, while trying to make it right.)These are two highly imperfect people, in other words, they are human. I happen to think they are drawn more deeply than the others on the show, which is why it is so hard to make sense of their actions, as they are written. They love each other, one is at a crossroads in her life, and to her it appears as if she's a failure. There are going to be crises between them as they try to work through their individual and joint problems, but they do love each other and these are problems that have to be solved to get to the next level. Pretty much like all couple have to work through things.Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but since this is the Lenny thread, don't you think we can hold back on blaming one or the other, or saying one or the other is being intentionally mean or is acting all terrible toward the other and just realize that they are working through their problems, as best they can, and it's not always going to be pretty. So let's be supportive, not negative, toward those who like the couple, but may prefer one or the other better.

Amen. This isn't a football game or a divorce where there are sides within the couple. It is interesting that instead of going for the joke, the writers are going for drama and intensity. One has to believe this is leading up to a proposal, as in spite of the disagreements, they aren't running from each other (or at least not far). It takes a lot of maturity to simply hold someone and tell them they will always be there. You can't fix a lot of things in life, just survive them. Leonard is still playing the nerd, and will try to fix things.

• Like 4

Actually Penny not having a job won't affect them at all either. Leonard's has a well paying job. Does he really need Sheldon as a roommate? Heck Sheldon leaves uncashed checks and cash around the apartment. Although I think some of you would still be complaining if she did ask his opinion and quit TCF anyways.

I believe that he does need Sheldon as a room mate.  I remember when Leonard paid $800 for the time machine and he ended up selling shares of it to the rest of the guys because he couldn't afford the money.  It seems the answer is pretty simple.   Leonard doesn't move in with Penny, Penny moves in with Leonard and Sheldon.

We all have to remember that Sheldon is one of the biggest Lenny shippers. Homeostasis means they stay together.

Sheldon is THE biggest Lenny-shipper starting in season 6 and he will demonstrate that again in the next episode when he starts questioning them about marriage. Unfortunately, he wants to live with them as their "man-child".

• Like 3

I believe that he does need Sheldon as a room mate. I remember when Leonard paid $800 for the time machine and he ended up selling shares of it to the rest of the guys because he couldn't afford the money. It seems the answer is pretty simple. Leonard doesn't move in with Penny, Penny moves in with Leonard and Sheldon.

From what I recall, it wasn't that he didn't have the money per se, he just didn't want to spend $800 on a time machine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

From what I recall, it wasn't that he didn't have the money per se, he just didn't want to spend $800 on a time machine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I'm willing to bet he's probably gotten a raise or five since then. It is after all almost six years ago. Not to mention, He's paid her rent before, while still paying his. The rent on 4B will also be lower, as it's only a one bedroom. I really don't see Leonard having a problem paying the rent on 4B, if they move in together.

I'm willing to bet he's probably gotten a raise or five since then. It is after all almost six years ago. Not to mention, He's paid her rent before, while still paying his. The rent on 4B will also be lower, as it's only a one bedroom. I really don't see Leonard having a problem paying the rent on 4B, if they move in together.
I really don't see money as a problem for Leonard, especially when it comes to moving in with Penny. We're also assuming she will bring nothing in. He's been at CalTech for at least ten years. I'm sure he's doing fine on the financial front. The question of taking care of Sheldon is an interesting one. I doubt the room mate before Leonard was as accommodating. Sheldon likely did OK. Are we assuming Sheldon can't mind himself, or won't? Amy would love to take over from Leonard and Penny. Also, why would Leonard have to live in the same apartment to keep an eye on Sheldon? He's practically living alone now, and Penny was able to see to his needs from across the hall. People look after relatives all the time and don't live with them. I'm sure Sheldon can sleep in the apartment alone. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk Edited by hamerman55
  • Like 1

I really don't see money as a problem for Leonard, especially when it comes to moving in with Penny. We're also assuming she will bring nothing in. He's been at CalTech for at least ten years. I'm sure he's doing fine on the financial front.

The question of taking care of Sheldon is an interesting one. I doubt the room mate before Leonard was as accommodating. Sheldon likely did OK. Are we assuming Sheldon can't mind himself, or won't? Amy would love to take over from Leonard and Penny.

Also, why would Leonard have to live in the same apartment to keep Assn eye on Sheldon? He's practically living alone now, and Penny was able to see to his needs from across the hall. People look after relatives all the time and don't live with them. I'm sure Sheldon can sleep in the apartment alone.

Leonard's income. :ireful:

TPTB leave this question vague for a reason, I know but it is getting downright silly now. Leonard is a tenure-track PhD Physicist of some world renown at an important research university, who interfaces with the students (so he can teach if he wanted for another big boost in income) and most likely works on important grants. Outside of "Big Bang" world, this guy is making six figures. The writers have to play down Leonard's income to keep him living with Sheldon and not just moving away with Penny. Still, Sheldon is shown paying $800 for welcome home gifts for Leonard and giving $2000 in cash he finds around the office to Alex for Valentine gifts to Amy. He said in earlier seasons that he has uncashed pay checks in his home desk and uses less than half of his take home income to live. He is a theoretical physicist who will not teach and is most likely making less than Leonard.

I see why they have not revisited the tenure storyline since after Leonard saved CalTech from further embarrassment from Sheldon's "new" element debacle and did promising work with Prof. Hawkings, we know where that decision should rest. According to the American Association of University Professors, a tenured Professor at CalTech would be making over $175,000 per year. So they will keep Leonard in "Big Bang" world to make the story work.

In 7.07, Prof. Proton asks Leonard why he still stays with Sheldon and Leonard says "You know what, Sheldon is the smartest person I have ever met. And he’s a little broken and he needs me. I guess I need him, too." The writers seem to be admitting that money is no longer the reason Leonard is there despite the pain of living with the "Wack-a-doodle".

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 8

After the WELCOME - this is my first official post so forgive me that I haven't figured out how to quote from other posts yet ;-)

Has there been a spoiler or something that says that the living arrangements are going to change? 

Why would Penny have to move in with the Guys - and give up her apartment - i.e. her independence.  Or, why now it would be acceptable for Leonard to move in with her when it was not OK a short time ago and again lose her independence by becoming 'dependant' on him for financial support. 

I know she and Sheldon are friends but I remember the episode where she was extremely uncomfortable borrowing money from him.  I just don't see Penny being good with that.  Nor do I think it reflects well on Lenny if Sheldon is Penny's financial support.  IMO Sheldon is waaayyyy too involved in their relationship as is. 

We have seen that she is more comfortable accepting assistance from Leonard - they are in a relationship afterall.  However, I think that in light of their interactions in the last episode that Penny may not be as comfortable as she once was particularly if she quits CCF without a prior discussion and if she doesn't feel she has his support.

Finances are going to be an issue for her as they are with most aspiring actors.  I hope the solution to her financial woes is her FATHER.  Let Wyatt invest in his daughter. I think Penny needs the 'escape' her apartment provides when Sheldon and/or Leonard become too much.  I love the idea of Penny going all in with her acting I just do not want her to have to give up her apartment or her independence to do it.    

This episode for me raised some questions...

1) Why did Penny not mention acting as one of her passions in one the season 6 episodes?

2) Where does Penny get all the money to buy the booze especially as she did have money to buy a gift for her boyfriend(I know this was for a joke but still..)

And what about Penny study classes?? Would'nt they be a waste of time and money if she really wanted to become an actress...

Edited by vasu

1) Why did Penny not mention acting as one of her passions in one the season 6 episodes?

2) Where does Penny get all the money to buy the booze especially as she did have money to buy a gift for her boyfriend(I know this was for a joke but still..)

And what about Penny study classes?? Would'nt they be a waste of time and money if she really wanted to become an actress...

1. Good question.

2. Answers itself.

Yes, if doing activities unrelated to getting acting work (such as earning money to live) are a waste of time. But then so would be dating Leonard. By that logic Penny should start 'dating' someone who can aid her career (like Alicia [upstairs neighbor] in season 2 episode 19) did.

1)  She did, in a way.  What she said was: No, I’m serious.  Look, I’ve always had these plans. I was gonna be in movies and live this glamorous life, and anything less than that just wasn’t worth getting excited about."  She was excited about being in movies.

2) Leonard could have bought it. 

Just because she really wants to, doesn't mean she will.  She can still go to school, while auditioning, in case it never does work out for her.

After the WELCOME - this is my first official post so forgive me that I haven't figured out how to quote from other posts yet ;-)

Has there been a spoiler or something that says that the living arrangements are going to change? 

Why would Penny have to move in with the Guys - and give up her apartment - i.e. her independence.  Or, why now it would be acceptable for Leonard to move in with her when it was not OK a short time ago and again lose her independence by becoming 'dependant' on him for financial support. 

I know she and Sheldon are friends but I remember the episode where she was extremely uncomfortable borrowing money from him.  I just don't see Penny being good with that.  Nor do I think it reflects well on Lenny if Sheldon is Penny's financial support.  IMO Sheldon is waaayyyy too involved in their relationship as is. 

We have seen that she is more comfortable accepting assistance from Leonard - they are in a relationship afterall.  However, I think that in light of their interactions in the last episode that Penny may not be as comfortable as she once was particularly if she quits CCF without a prior discussion and if she doesn't feel she has his support.

Finances are going to be an issue for her as they are with most aspiring actors.  I hope the solution to her financial woes is her FATHER.  Let Wyatt invest in his daughter. I think Penny needs the 'escape' her apartment provides when Sheldon and/or Leonard become too much.  I love the idea of Penny going all in with her acting I just do not want her to have to give up her apartment or her independence to do it.    

There isn't any spoilers.  Just speculation based on the discussion that is reported in the taping report.  

As for the rest.  If history is any indication, Penny is not comfortable in taking money from Sheldon, but will from Leonard.    While the last episode was rough for Leonard and Penny, it appears they end up OK in the next one.  As for why she would move,  most aspiring actors (and even those that get occasional parts) have another job to fall back on.  Penny no longer has this.  Based on current rates of pay, her gig with NCIS means she may have enough for a month or two of just rent.  Not counting any of the other things she would need(lights, water, cable, food).  As for her father, that's not going to happen.  There is no comedy or relationship growth in that, since Wyatt isn't there.  

Having her quit like she did to pursue her acting, means there is a strong possibility that she will have to indeed give up her independence and/or her apartment (they may have set this up to be used as the excuse to move Leonard and Penny in together, or Penny in with the guys).  It's going to be the price of trying to go on with her career, with no fall back.  Of course, there is the possibility that she gets several paying gigs and /or a recurring part, so she continues in her apartment.  

1)  She did, in a way.  What she said was: No, I’m serious.  Look, I’ve always had these plans. I was gonna be in movies and live this glamorous life, and anything less than that just wasn’t worth getting excited about."  She was excited about being in movies.

2) Leonard could have bought it. 

Just because she really wants to, doesn't mean she will.  She can still go to school, while auditioning, in case it never does work out for her.

Where would have gotten the idea that L. bought her booze??? Nothing has ever indicated that...nothing.

Where would have gotten the idea that L. bought her booze??? Nothing has ever indicated that...nothing.

The question was where did she get the money for the booze.   I don't think he bought that particular bottle of wine,  for that particular occasion or reason.  But both Leonard and Penny drink wine in her apartment when they are together.  It's not beyond reason, and quite likely that Leonard is buying their wine supply, if she is short of money.   If Leonard was buying wine for them, then Penny was drinking wine that Leonard bought.   

• Like 2

There isn't any spoilers.  Just speculation based on the discussion that is reported in the taping report.  

As for the rest.  If history is any indication, Penny is not comfortable in taking money from Sheldon, but will from Leonard.    While the last episode was rough for Leonard and Penny, it appears they end up OK in the next one.  As for why she would move,  most aspiring actors (and even those that get occasional parts) have another job to fall back on.  Penny no longer has this.  Based on current rates of pay, her gig with NCIS means she may have enough for a month or two of just rent.  Not counting any of the other things she would need(lights, water, cable, food).  As for her father, that's not going to happen.  There is no comedy or relationship growth in that, since Wyatt isn't there.  

Having her quit like she did to pursue her acting, means there is a strong possibility that she will have to indeed give up her independence and/or her apartment (they may have set this up to be used as the excuse to move Leonard and Penny in together, or Penny in with the guys).  It's going to be the price of trying to go on with her career, with no fall back.  Of course, there is the possibility that she gets several paying gigs and /or a recurring part, so she continues in her apartment.  

So true, the writers are going to have to give her enough acting jobs to support herself, or she will need a new job, if she wants to keep things the way they are.  But I really wonder why everyone is so dead set against Penny accepting help from Leonard, he loves her and she loves him, they have acted like a team before, why can't they do this now.  Leonard could buy in with her plan to give it one big push to see if she can become an actress, and support her while she does it.  It would not be like he was trying to control her by using his money, it would be her loving boyfriend trying to support her while she went for her dreams.  It would actually be good for him to do this, he doesn't want to marry someone, who would always think she gave up success to be his wife, Leonard would want to give her every chance to succeed.

• Like 2

So true, the writers are going to have to give her enough acting jobs to support herself, or she will need a new job, if she wants to keep things the way they are.  But I really wonder why everyone is so dead set against Penny accepting help from Leonard, he loves her and she loves him, they have acted like a team before, why can't they do this now.  Leonard could buy in with her plan to give it one big push to see if she can become an actress, and support her while she does it.  It would not be like he was trying to control her by using his money, it would be her loving boyfriend trying to support her while she went for her dreams.  It would actually be good for him to do this, he doesn't want to marry someone, who would always think she gave up success to be his wife, Leonard would want to give her every chance to succeed.

I can't think of a better way for him to show his support.  Free her from all worries about having to earn money to live.  Just concentrate on becoming an actress.  

• Like 2

Leonard supporting Penny makes perfect sense. No one else is likely to do it since she has a pattern of Leaning on Leonard for food and entertainment. She would never go to her father who questions her judgement as it is.

Of course Penny does not always makes sence.

• Like 1

I can't think of a better way for him to show his support.  Free her from all worries about having to earn money to live.  Just concentrate on becoming an actress.  

After what he said in the last episode he may feel compelled to support Penny.

After what he said in the last episode he may feel compelled to support Penny.

Did I miss something? Leonard told the truth which is what Penny asked for. Did he lied to Penny about anything so he must pay the cost?

• Like 1

I said (in an earlier post) that I expected this was an excuse to move L/P in together. The idea that Leonard would be supporting Penny was implied as the reason for his moving in with her. If he's going to pay all (or at least most) of her bills he should be living with her. If they are living together it doesn't look like she's mooching of him.