Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

But you have to remember that Lenny and Shamy FFs are in the minority. I did the math Shenny on ff.net is somewhere between 45% to 47% where as Lenny and Shamy average around 15%. To 17% each, and when I give these numbers I mean devoted fanfics, I didnt mean howadette/rajoc, because that would take a lot of guess work but it's safe to say that Shenny FICA dwarf Lenny and Shamy. So fic for fic you're probaly right because of the massive majority Shenny holds on ff.net, but I wonder if Lenny and Shamy were scaled to Shenny if those numbers would be scued.

The reason Shenny FF is in the majority is that it is the only way they can support their ship. Shamy and Lenny are canon and their shippers don't have to fall back on FF, all we have to do is watch the show.

• Like 4

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true Tensor.   The most consistent motif the writers have used with Penny is her insecurity about her intelligence and judgement. It pops up constantly in several episodes a season, starting with

Bullshit. My wife and I have OUR money. If money is budgeted for her to get clothes or for me to get clothes, neither one of us is giving the other money for clothes, we are using OUR money to get clo

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while tryi

Posted Images

The reason Shenny FF is in the majority is that it is the only way they can support their ship. Shamy and Lenny are canon and their shippers don't have to fall back on FF, all we have to do is watch the show.

Lenny and Shamy have the best fanfic writers in the world, a professional team led by Steve Molaro. :read:

• Like 4

Ajond, pretty much! I am a huge Harry potter fan and there are more Harry/Draco shipping stories than Harry/Hermione and Ron/Hermione. Now I seriously doubt the general population prefers Harry/Draco to Ron/Hermione. Fanfics are mostly written by people who are unhappy with the current canon and want to write their own version of story. Given the canon of Lenny and shamy, I'm not surprised that 50% of the fanfics are Shenny fanfics.

• Like 4

So, to get this discussion a little more back on topic...

I don't think that Leonard and Penny are in danger of breaking up. I think that Penny admitting to Leonard that he was right to say no to her proposal is a good indication. Although he was very worried about their relationship that night and the next morning, that's kind of understandable, IMO.

She was in a bad place emotionally and reacted badly to his rejection in that moment, and he knew it was about a very strong emotional blow that she had already suffered, so there was no telling how she might react.

Penny can be very impulsive, in both good and bad ways, and Leonard knew that she might make a rash decision about their relationship, given how rejected and depressed she was feeling that night.

At any rate, I think they're too far down the path to actually break up, at this point. Although they have been in a more secure place recently and Leonard has felt secure enough to be kind of firm with her at times, like last Vday, still, it's always going to be part of his nature to have that wide streak of insecurity that will rise to the surface under certain circumstances.

And the dichotomy of Penny's "worldliness" or sexual glibness and Leonard's relatively limited experience is always going to be fodder for jokes. Even when she said "wow, you really are a genius" his response was, "not really. I googled how to do that."

Even Priya poked some fun at his lack of prowess, so it's nothing new.

I don't think there is too much to be read into their lines in the Vday episode. I think that their kind of glossing over of what came before (as far as we know, since we don't know what happens between them in the SW ep, which will air first) is more of an indication that they're pretty much okay.

I'm sure that this business about Penny struggling after having quit the CCF will continue to surface for the rest of the season, because the writers made that choice for a reason. But I don't think they did it in order to break them up. And I'm not sure that they did it in order to give them an excuse to move in together.

Edited by phantagrae
  • Like 2

No problem, it's  hard habit to break, I know.  The best thing to do is just refer the poster to the rules for shipping zones,  in a FYI sort of way, and then, if they argue, report it.   A lot of problems within the shipping threads are people trying to reply (I'm not singling you out, I do it also) and argue with the poster who is, one way or another, trying to say something derogatory about the ship or one of it's members.   That's the worst thing to do (and again, I'm guilty of it), and it's why there is a report button.

sECUREij should have been banned a few pages ago when he/she claimed Leonard raped Penny.  Just my opinion of course.

• Like 2

I sort of think they will use Penny's lack of a job for conflict and laughs, then it will be one of the reasons her and Leonard move in together. I was hoping they would have Penny working some different part time jobs along the way, for laughs, and get a few small parts. As to where they live, the show is centered around the guys apartment and a little around hers, so I can't see them moving further than that.

I'm sure that this business about Penny struggling after having quit the CCF will continue to surface for the rest of the season, because the writers made that choice for a reason. But I don't think they did it in order to break them up. And I'm not sure that they did it in order to give them an excuse to move in together.

Agreed. The most likely reason for Penny quitting the CCF is to make her need Leonard even more.  That could mean simply getting temporary money support for a short period of time while she is still "officially" independent or having Leonard provide her with help with a new job or school tuition, auto cost and as always, food.

There is little chance of a break up unless Penny has truly lost her senses. She may not want to admit it but she knows she has a safety net if trying to be a big movie star takes more than, say, three months.

• Like 1

I didn't read much here, but I see some "Shenny" bits and I don't like this. This is still the Leonard and Penny thread. Please keep your Shenny propaganda somewhere else! Thanks!

There has been much talk here regarding Penny's need of Leonard in a mostly monetary sense. I would like to think it is much, much more than that. She needs LEONARD. Not his money. Not his financial support. Him. She needs the shy, nerdy guy that lives across the hall. You know the guy who thinks she is perfect. The guy who will risk having his ass kicked by a behemoth on her behalf. The guy that when she found out a relationship with a co- worker didn't work out, had her walking away with a huge, HUGE smile on her face...I could go on, but I'm starting to bark at cars a little. It is HIM. Not his money. Okay. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 7

There has been much talk here regarding Penny's need of Leonard in a mostly monetary sense. I would like to think it is much, much more than that. She needs LEONARD. Not his money. Not his financial support. Him. She needs the shy, nerdy guy that lives across the hall. You know the guy who thinks she is perfect. The guy who will risk having his ass kicked by a behemoth on her behalf. The guy that when she found out a relationship with a co- worker didn't work out, had her walking away with a huge, HUGE smile on her face...I could go on, but I'm starting to bark at cars a little. It is HIM. Not his money. Okay. Thanks.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't really think they are making it about his money it is more of a push of her against her inability to commit. She has been fighting moving forward with their relationship because she has it in her head that marrying him, or anyone, will end her dreams. So forcing her to move in with him, because of money, will allow her to realize she can commit him and still pursue her dreams, IMHO.

• Like 6

I don't really think they are making it about his money it is more of a push of her against her inability to commit. She has been fighting moving forward with their relationship because she has it in her head that marrying him, or anyone, will end her dreams. So forcing her to move in with him, because of money, will allow her to realize she can commit him and still pursue her dreams, IMHO.

Exactly. There has been no doubt of Penny's emotional need for Leonard since season 4. She has liked getting Leonard's highly idolized view of her since season 1. As she said just before her proposal she really can't do anything of value, she has no training in anything nor natural ability. She would not even make a good house wife. She only has her "dream" of being a successful actress. She knows she would bring nothing to her marriage to Leonard but a womb for his Smart and Beautiful babies.

Penny does not see the obvious middle ground, as you said, she can have Leonard and still pursue her dream. In fact, teaming with Leonard is the best chance she has.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 3

I agree with the notion that Penny has a deep need for Leonard, as he does for her. The writers probably need to expand on why a bit as they pull up to the next step in the relationship. They will fight and disagree, but the breakup odds are nil. Penny is going to need Leonard's emotional support far more than his financial support while she tries to make success happen. If she hadn't been dumb about it, Leonard would have been more supportive recently, but she put him on the spot and demanded the truth about soemthing he was perfectly willing to let slide to try and hold her together.

I was thinking about Leonard's supposed deficiencies in bed. At this point in the relationship, if he isn't rocking Penny's world, isn't it sort of Penny's fault? If she hasn't explained to him what he's not doing right by now, then she must be just fine with what he's doing. After all, he is highly motivated, loves her unconditionally and is very smart. I think if she gave him some ideas, he would be more than happy to run with them.

• Like 5

I was thinking about Leonard's supposed deficiencies in bed. At this point in the relationship, if he isn't rocking Penny's world, isn't it sort of Penny's fault? If she hasn't explained to him what he's not doing right by now, then she must be just fine with what he's doing. After all, he is highly motivated, loves her unconditionally and is very smart. I think if she gave him some ideas, he would be more than happy to run with them.

The writers haven't focused much on their bedroom time this season, have they?  It doesn't seem like Leonard's prowess there is an issue.  It seems more to me like Penny is a little lost and discouraged - it's been years and she hasn't gone anywhere with her career.  She's still looking at the others who are all busy with their careers, all firmly planted in their professions, and Penny is still waiting tables and looking for a break - even her big NCIS moment hit the cutting room floor, so to speak.  Obviously, Leonard was totally right in not accepting Penny's alcohol-fueled proposal - that's not the foundation for a successful marriage... and he knows it.

Somehow she has to find her passion.  Despite her conversation at the end of last season that she found it with Leonard and her nerd friends, it's clear that she's still searching for something that excites her and gets her out of bed in the morning.  She assumes, and we assume, that acting is it, and it may be.  But mostly, up till now, it's all fantasy and no reality.  Unfortunately, if her finances, or lack of, drive her to move in with Leonard or require her to mooch big time off Leonard, that's not going to do anything for her self confidence.  It would be a step backward.  For us it would probably create some comic scenes, but for Penny, it would not be a positive development.  If the writers can't move her beyond being an unemployed actress, it will be a rather pitiful Penny that we visit weekly.

• Like 2

The writers haven't focused much on their bedroom time this season, have they?  It doesn't seem like Leonard's prowess there is an issue.  It seems more to me like Penny is a little lost and discouraged - it's been years and she hasn't gone anywhere with her career.  She's still looking at the others who are all busy with their careers, all firmly planted in their professions, and Penny is still waiting tables and looking for a break - even her big NCIS moment hit the cutting room floor, so to speak.  Obviously, Leonard was totally right in not accepting Penny's alcohol-fueled proposal - that's not the foundation for a successful marriage... and he knows it.

MJistheBOMB, on 15 Jan 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:snapback.png

No reason's given as to why.

Anyway, I wanted to give a little more on Lenny. This isn't in the summary (report) but I don't like that Penny's gift to Leonard was a FREE box of chocolate that she got at a certain gas station for filling up her gas tank. When Leonard, found out, he was obviously offended since he got her Laker tickets. I also didn't like how Leonard got offended when Penny told Raj they weren't even in the room that long before they came out and discovered that Cinnamon had eaten all the chocolate. Then Penny mocks him later on saying, "9 minutes is not a while." Can't they have one good Valentines day without the smart ass remarks. etc? Does this bother anyone else or is it no big deal?   (This is a quote from the spoiler topic)

The spoiler for Valentines has a remark from Penny that implies their sex was quick.  I guess it depends how Kaley plays it, but the person who went says she was mocking him, so that isn't good. 

I obviously didn't see the scene but it sounds to me Penny response to Raj was to explain that it hadn't been that long. I believe if I'm remembering correctly Leonard tried to say it was longer they were gone to boost his ego. After that Penny made that comment.

I obviously didn't see the scene but it sounds to me Penny response to Raj was to explain that it hadn't been that long. I believe if I'm remembering correctly Leonard tried to say it was longer they were gone to boost his ego. After that Penny made that comment.

If she says it purposely in front of Raj, it is mocking and sort of cruel.  If she just says it to Leonard only, it could be teasing.  I guess we'll have to watch the episode to see.

If she says it purposely in front of Raj, it is mocking and sort of cruel.  If she just says it to Leonard only, it could be teasing.  I guess we'll have to watch the episode to see.

True. But it sounded the whole conversation took place in front of Raj. Anyways with Penny/Raj's history 9 minutes to Raj is a long time.LOL

True. But it sounded the whole conversation took place in front of Raj. Anyways with Penny/Raj's history 9 minutes to Raj is a long time.LOL

Yeah, that is true.  It just doesn't seem right that she should be mocking him at this point in the show about something like that.  The writers seem always to go for the cheap laugh, I really think their method of doing scripts, at the last minute, makes them cut corners too much.  They don't think out their cheap laughs and it leaves the fans confused.  The last episode with Leonard begging Penny not to break up with him seemed so out of place, at that point in their relationship.  They are two people who have been going together for almost 2 years, even discussing marriage between them, so him getting the impression, from her, that they were now done, was really wrong.  Last season he showed confidence and trust in their relationship, but in season 7 that seems to be all gone.  You think the writers would be able to stall them without regressing them.

• Like 6

Yeah, that is true.  It just doesn't seem right that she should be mocking him at this point in the show about something like that.  The writers seem always to go for the cheap laugh, I really think their method of doing scripts, at the last minute, makes them cut corners too much.  They don't think out their cheap laughs and it leaves the fans confused.  The last episode with Leonard begging Penny not to break up with him seemed so out of place, at that point in their relationship.  They are two people who have been going together for almost 2 years, even discussing marriage between them, so him getting the impression, from her, that they were now done, was really wrong.  Last season he showed confidence and trust in their relationship, but in season 7 that seems to be all gone.  You think the writers would be able to stall them without regressing them.

I absolutely agree with everything you say. That has been my pet peeve this season. I hate that the writers are regressing Penny and Leonard, because there is no need. They could very well have done the same thing by just having an episode in which Penny says to Leonard that he is the one , and gives him assurances that the marriage will happen (without proposing), but that she needs to give it an all pushing forward in achieving her dream of acting, and wants to do that before settling down.

• Like 3

I absolutely agree with everything you say. That has been my pet peeve this season. I hate that the writers are regressing Penny and Leonard, because there is no need. They could very well have done the same thing by just having an episode in which Penny says to Leonard that he is the one , and gives him assurances that the marriage will happen (without proposing), but that she needs to give it an all pushing forward in achieving her dream of acting, and wants to do that before settling down.

I somewhat disagree. Penny took a huge step quitting TCF. They were never going to get engaged/marriage till she quit. I think Leonard thought her working at TCF would keep everything very predictable. When this changed he freaked out. He went back to his old insecure ways. He also became temporarily unsupportive. I will give you that Penny could of done this differently and sort of consulted Leonard before this but his response sort of proved her right. I'm not sure why Penny has to tell him that he is the one is there someone else? In regards to the minor bickering between L/P I'm also missing the drama in all this. The endless Amy sex jokes going on earlier in the season didn't make me think she was going to find a male prostitute. LOL

In regards to the minor bickering between L/P I'm also missing the drama in all this.

Yeah, me too. Personally, I'm going to wait until it airs and see how they play it. Dana called it good Lenny stuff, so maybe she interpreted the scene in question differently than MJ. Although I'm really grateful to all the people who do taping reports, they don't necessarily convey the feeling of the scene, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 3

I'm with you on this too. I've felt that they could have left Leonard and Penny alone in their happiness from season 6. They had the setup from the North Sea trip. Why did he go? They only used it to set a couple of episodes up, then they dropped it. This was a big deal, that could have important repercussions throughout the season. It would have made far more sense for Penny to do something dramatic (have Leonard move in, declare he was the one, decide never to sleep apart, a whole host of ideas presented up thread). Yet instead, they've had them have issues pretty much every other episode. The worst part is that they have done less than usual with the other couples. They had a couple of nice plot lines with Bernie and Howard (the closet episode, for example). They've done nothing with either Shamy or Raj's newfound ability to speak to girls without alcohol. Basically the majority of plots this fall have been Lenny-centric, with a strong undercurrent of issues that for the most part are meaningless. The three most salient ones are the scavenger hunt, which would have been far more interesting with Leonard and Penny, and Sheldon and Bernie paired up. Instead, we have Bernie dissing Leonard and flat out lying on Penny to get Leonard motivated to win. After the first two episodes, it would have made far more sense to have Leonard and Penny paired up. Leonard even suggesting that he partner with someone else is OOC, and counter to where Lenny was at after he had just returned from the North Sea. Then you have the marriage episode for Thanksgiving. The Lenny plot in retrospec was just dumb. Again, they simply could have left Lenny alone, and have them make snarky comments about drunk Sheldon, and Raj obsessing over dinner, and Howard being a wimp. Those plots could have been expanded. Instead with get a plot centered again on Penny's supposed cluelessness. Now we have the CSI job two episode arc. Leonard not being completely supportive of Penny is very OOC, yet that is basically what the driver for the plot arc is. It makes sense that he would hesitate when a drunk (and she clearly was pretty far along) Penny proposes. At that point, he should be more annoyed, but still supportive of Penny, But she gave him no choice. 

So here we are, about midway through the season, and one could almost wonder what the rest of the characters are doing other than circling around Leonard and Penny. It just seems weird that they would go this way.

Is there another taping tonight?

• Like 3

Yeah, me too. Personally, I'm going to wait until it airs and see how they play it. Dana called it good Lenny stuff, so maybe she interpreted the scene in question differently than MJ. Although I'm really grateful to all the people who do taping reports, they don't necessarily convey the feeling of the scene, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

If I recall actually MJ did freak out over the Lenny stuff. You are right about the reports it's hard to complain. I think though Shamy fans are different than Lenny fans. I missed much of the hoopla over the Sheldon kiss and I don't think the Lenny transactions are going to be that bad. It seems they both caused problems. It can't be worse than seasons 3 and 6 for Lenny.
  • Like 1

Yes, both MJ and Roxanne are going, plus apparently a third person who has given information before. Don't know the identity of that person. The episode being taped tonight should air before the one done last week, IIUC

• Like 2

I'm with you on this too. I've felt that they could have left Leonard and Penny alone in their happiness from season 6. They had the setup from the North Sea trip. Why did he go? They only used it to set a couple of episodes up, then they dropped it. This was a big deal, that could have important repercussions throughout the season. It would have made far more sense for Penny to do something dramatic (have Leonard move in, declare he was the one, decide never to sleep apart, a whole host of ideas presented up thread). Yet instead, they've had them have issues pretty much every other episode. The worst part is that they have done less than usual with the other couples. They had a couple of nice plot lines with Bernie and Howard (the closet episode, for example). They've done nothing with either Shamy or Raj's newfound ability to speak to girls without alcohol. Basically the majority of plots this fall have been Lenny-centric, with a strong undercurrent of issues that for the most part are meaningless. The three most salient ones are the scavenger hunt, which would have been far more interesting with Leonard and Penny, and Sheldon and Bernie paired up. Instead, we have Bernie dissing Leonard and flat out lying on Penny to get Leonard motivated to win. After the first two episodes, it would have made far more sense to have Leonard and Penny paired up. Leonard even suggesting that he partner with someone else is OOC, and counter to where Lenny was at after he had just returned from the North Sea. Then you have the marriage episode for Thanksgiving. The Lenny plot in retrospec was just dumb. Again, they simply could have left Lenny alone, and have them make snarky comments about drunk Sheldon, and Raj obsessing over dinner, and Howard being a wimp. Those plots could have been expanded. Instead with get a plot centered again on Penny's supposed cluelessness. Now we have the CSI job two episode arc. Leonard not being completely supportive of Penny is very OOC, yet that is basically what the driver for the plot arc is. It makes sense that he would hesitate when a drunk (and she clearly was pretty far along) Penny proposes. At that point, he should be more annoyed, but still supportive of Penny, But she gave him no choice. 

So here we are, about midway through the season, and one could almost wonder what the rest of the characters are doing other than circling around Leonard and Penny. It just seems weird that they would go this way.

I feel there is something big happening with Lenny by the end of the year. MJ and someone from the other forum are suppose to be there. I think I read MJ is #7 in line
  • Like 4