Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If she was forced to live with him and had no other choice, I could see it being considered dependent. But, choosing to live with Leonard, whom she says she loves, while she tries to become an actress able to make a living at it, would appear to me to as Leonard being supportive and making an investment in their future. Or are you suggesting she wouldn't do anything in their apartment and have Leonard do all that also.

TBH the moment Penny told Leonard she loves him is the moment to me anyway was action speaking louder then words, requitted love means an equal partnership, they are not only dating they are in an equal partnership everything Penny does or Leonard does effects them as a equal partnership. So what I am getting at is if anything Penny is co dependent on Leonard not dependent, they are planning a future right now shes struggling career wise, but theirs always going to be ups and downs it would be boring if Penny suddenly wan 12 million oscars, and had 5 million dollars in her bank account, and they lived happily ever after in their big mansion haha life doesent work like that, these characters are relatable and very believable. 

Please remind me where FF is, so I can find the post when its up? Or will there be a link in the taping report thread?

From what she said, she'll be posting a link to the report, so I'm assuming it will be posted on her blog, bigbangbuzz. FF is fanforum.

From what she said, she'll be posting a link to the report, so I'm assuming it will be posted on her blog, bigbangbuzz. FF is fanforum.

Thank you. It will be interesting to see how they use the Star Trek characters. Based on how Sheldon reacted to a napkin of

Leonard Nimoy's, actually meeting or more of the actors would truly blow his mind.

TBH the moment Penny told Leonard she loves him is the moment to me anyway was action speaking louder then words, requitted love means an equal partnership, they are not only dating they are in an equal partnership everything Penny does or Leonard does effects them as a equal partnership. So what I am getting at is if anything Penny is co dependent on Leonard not dependent, they are planning a future right now shes struggling career wise, but theirs always going to be ups and downs it would be boring if Penny suddenly wan 12 million oscars, and had 5 million dollars in her bank account, and they lived happily ever after in their big mansion haha life doesent work like that, these characters are relatable and very believable.

For me, that moment was in Egg Salad. We had seen Penny jealous or upset when Leonard was dating others. But, until Egg Salad, we had never seen Penny insecure about the relationship when they were together. At that point, she had just as much to lose by breaking up as Leonard did.

I think people are missing each other's points in many of these posts.

I do think that Penny moving in with Leonard while or so that she can pursue her dream is not a good reason to move in with him, because even if on the surface it seems like she's moving in with him because she loves him, the message ultimately looks like she's using him for financial support. And if she can't make it, as so many people seem to believe, then that makes it even worse. Because, again, Leonard is supporting her until what, she decides she's a failure as an actor and goes back to working some random job?

Like I said, there are many measures of success, but primarily, I hate to think that so many people seem to focus on the only purpose of the Penny character as being when she's going to move in with Leonard or propose to him or whatever. That her only reason for existence is to fulfill the Lenny relationship, that her career doesn't matter as long as she's ready to move in with Leonard, that the only goal the writers have for her is to put her and Leonard in the same apartment.

What I'm saying is that the writers have their own timeline for how and when Leonard and Penny might move in together. That probably will have nothing to so with what the fans imagine it will be about--that's why so many Lenny fans are frustrated, it seems. Trying to make every episode lead to a reason for them to move in together isn't realistic. Taking that step will be a big deal for the show because of how they currently use the guys' apartment. All of those questions Sheldon was asking the other day would have to be answered, etc.

And I don't think that Penny quitting the CCF is part of that equation. While they will certainly use her lack of a day job and subsequent financial issues in upcoming episodes, I don't think that they're just trying to give her an excuse to move in with Leonard.

I think it comes down to storytelling and it seems to me to be more interesting and more fun to play with Penny and her travails as she tries to take every gig she can take to make ends meet, rather than just having her quit her job so that she will move in with Leonard.

I'm sure they'll have a mixture of realism and poetic license when it comes to Penny's career, so that they don't have to be all that strict about how much her acting gigs will pay or what she can get by on. Just like they play it fast and loose with everyone's income and what they can or cannot afford, etc.

But ultimately there's more to Penny--and Leonard--and their relationship than just when they're going to get engaged or married or move in together. Leonard has a career and interest beyond his relationship to Penny, so why can't Penny have the same?

I think I'd rather just wait and see where the writers are going to go with Penny's career than try to force every storyline into the preconceived box of "it's about time they moved in together!" Having that box is part of what gets in the way of seeing the episode for what it really is and is what makes people sometimes turn a comedic line into some kind of melodrama.

I honestly kind of agree with almost everyone in this thread. I don't think Penny gaining acting success and her moving in with Leonard are mutually exclusive. Why can't Penny still find acting gigs here and there and still want to move in with Leonard? It does not have to be directed by financial concerns at all, but it would be a natural step towards more commitment especially since we have seen how much Leonard's opinions means to Penny. Also, it's a way for Penny to get more comfortable with marrying Leonard and committing to him for life.

However, I do agree that Penny needs to find her passions and atleast find a career she is happy with, regardless of whatever it means for their relationship. I really hope the writers devote some time to fleshing out Penny's motivations and showing her struggle and hopefully eventual success to become an actress. She won't be a star, but like phanta said there's no reason she can't get some part-time gigs here and there. I think Penny needs this in order to feel secure about her life and I admire her for taking the risky call even if its pretty impractical. I also think, Penny's growth from this arc will have a positive impact on the Lenny storyline as well. Koops said in another thread that the reason Penny might be holding off on marrying Leonard is because she wants to make something of herself and add more quivers to her bow or whatever. So, this is a good opportunity for that. 

So, yeah, I really hope the storyline is great for Penny, and there's a high probability that if it's great for Penny, it will be great for Lenny.

To me Penny is the most bravest character in the whole show, it takes guts to realize things are not going to plan and go back to collage and reevaluate her plans. She maybe starting to feel isolated again, but this is not her fault although last year we saw she can actually act, she was really good at that play. Maybe she should focus on getting Penny more broadway roles, could give her some visibility, because when it comes to the entertainment industry, its more who you know not what you know. Although the restraint in not getting Penny a role in a movie or tv show, is clearly down to the realism of Pennys character, seeing a archetypical blonde girl next door struggle as an actress and a working actress (although she has now quit her job :( haha) is more realistic. Something needs to change though she's at a crossroad in her life, she's still young but she is not 20 anymore, Leonard well always support her no matter what, but she needs to do this for herself, having looks is no longer the thing anymore, she needs to offer more to their relationship. So maybe getting something out of psychology maybe she could start doing some consulting work or something. First off though she needs a job clearly, maybe it was kinda dumb to quit her job but I get why she did. When it comes to a proposal though, IMO they need to be living together first before engagement very important, they are no where near ready to be married, and first they need to be living together to test the waters so to speak, Lenny forever a work in progress ;).

Well said :)

I do believe that the Lenny relationship is being tested this season and if they can get through this they can go to the next level which could mean moving in together late next season

Edited by rachelshamyfan

Check the taping report thread. I've made a post with the title, which is a clickable link to the report.

Thanks. It looks like from the report that it is a non-relationship episode, like "Bakersfield". It suits me fine. The last two aired episodes had a drama/funny ratio that was too high. I particularly don't like it when the drama doesn't accomplish anything, and they just hit the end of the episode. I'm glad Leonard and Penny are OK at the end, but it was drama and disagreement, then a ten second kiss and make up. It just seemed like such sloppy writing,as if they needed to say these things to set something up. But more so that they wanted to get this out of the way and focus on the Star Wars episode coming up.

I get having Penny quit the CCF. For some reason they wanted to conflate that with her proposal to Leonard. Not that the two are connected, but they bundled all this drama together. They could have easily had Penny start getting more auditions and just be too busy to work. The CSI debacle would have been fine too, and a good reason to quit the CCF. Why have "commitment-phobic" Penny suddenly decide that she needed to propose to Leonard, while drunk? Then basically hope that everyone will forget, more or less. So is the message now that Penny is no longer afraid of commitment, but just wants to put off an engagement until whatever constitutes a better time? I guess it is like Raj suddenly being able to talk to girls without booze. Penny, in the midst of her grief about the CSI gig getting cut from the broadcast version (of course she might be on the extended episode on Blu-Ray), and drunk, decides "you know, being commited to Leonard isn't such a bad deal after all, so let's do it.". Voila, she's no longer afraid of commitment. Just like Raj can now talk to women. They actually don't do anything with it, but they no longer have that constraint. Basically, they can have Penny propose, or accept a proposal from Leonard at any point now, without having to explain anythng. I don't like that, as it allows them to avoid giving Penny plot lines and background story. It is funny that the two most important women in the show, Penny and Amy, have no backstory. Bernie, we know a lot about. We've met her parents multiple times, been to her folks' house, met an old boyfriend. We've seen Amy's mother on Skype once or twice. In seven years, we've seen Penny's dad once, and in the course of that episode, learn a significant amount about Penny. I'd like to learn the story. I do hope that they develop her more now that she should be doing more acting and related activities.

Well said :)

I do believe that the Lenny relationship is being tested this season and if they can get through this they can go to the next level which could mean moving in together late next season

Move in together late next season? Is this the Shamy thread? I don't like to generalize but Lenny fans will not be happy with that assessment. Obviously Penny has a lot of things to work and 3ku11 assessment is fairly accurate but something has to give IMO opinion by the end of the year. She need some kind of success now. As vasu keeps asking how is she going to pay the bills? She had been living paycheck to paycheck but there is no paycheck. Most people on here don't want her to be dependent on Leonard but her only skills that we have seen in the last 7 years are waitressing and acting. I've heard suggesting about working at the university but how is that any independence? I think most people are rooting for her but you have to give the fans some hope. If she does get success IMO things will advance quickly in the Lenny relationship. But again no further commitment for the Lenny until the end of season 8?

Just because I like shamy doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on Lenny, we all watch the same thing and see how the relationship progresses

I didn't care if you had an opinion I just didn't see it quite that way. Of course if I gave an opinion on the Shamy thread about Shamy I get blasted and all the Shamy fans would hit like this on the blasters post.

Edited by Chrismo

Thanks. It looks like from the report that it is a non-relationship episode, like "Bakersfield". It suits me fine.

snip...

I do hope that they develop her more now that she should be doing more acting and related activities.

I'm not sure that it's so much a case of she's no longer afraid of commitment as it shows that she's been thinking about it. Alcohol is a depressant that first works on the inhibition part of the brain. It won't make you do something you don't want to do, but it will allow you to do things you do want to do, but you brain is holding you back, for whatever reason. We know she's thought of it,(Remember last Valentine's Day), but without the lowering of her inhibitions, she's still not ready (remember her telling Leonard he did good by not accepting)

That may seem like them being able to ignore it and not develop anything, but by now, I think most of us realize that it is inevitable that the two will move in together and get married,, at some point. I felt pretty much the same about the inevitability of an I Love You after the "Holographic Excitation" (I just didn't think it would come so fast as the next weeks taping report brought the news.

I guess the biggest thing to take from it is that one, she still has commitment issues while sober. Two, we know she is thinking about it and is closer than she was last year. And the most important, we can't control anything, so just enjoy the ride.

Leonard has been trying to win Penny over since day one. The main characteristic of a "win" is overcoming an obstacle based on some inner mettle.

Having Penny choose Leonard because he is her only viable option does not count as a "win" for Leonard. But, he will take it. His expectations are very low.

I really don't see the point of the casual cruelty of saying "Oh, this is very realistic, many wannabes fail here"

Your comment about is this the shamy thread suggests that you don't care for anybody who ships shamy having any sort of opinion on Lenny

I didn't say that but you can look at my earlier post I edited about my opinion on that.  My point was the end of season 8 would be at a snail's pace more like Shamy.

Cuz shammies never do that to lennies....

I didn't care if you had an opinion I just didn't see it quite that way. Of course if I gave an opinion on the Shamy thread about Shamy I get blasted and all the Shamy fans would hit like this on the blasters post.

This is going longer here than it would on the Shamy thread.

This is just pure delusion at its finest and straight out of the Shenny playbook.  I'm hoping English is your second language, otherwise your reading comprehension skills need serious work.

I'm suddenly a Shenny shipper because I'm actually sticking up for Penny and treating her as a human being? That just says it all, doesn't it?