The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

The last fun date I can remember them having is when Leonard almost shot his toe off.

• Like 1

The last fun date I can remember them having is when Leonard almost shot his toe off.

Yep, it took place during Season 5, Episode 14.  You would think we would have more to show for this couple than this in the fun and exciting department.

Yeah we know they date more because we know on one date they had sex in the ocean, but we don't get to see the fun ones like them going shooting. I always thought it would be fun to see Penny get Leonard on a horse, they did the commercial so why couldn't they do something with Penny and Leonard. Kaley could be on one of her own horses and maybe loan one to Johnny for the shoot or they could find him a gentle mare to ride. Anyway it would be nice to see them on a couple of fun dates. Have they ever doubled with Amy and Sheldon?

Here's a little excersize for those who have seen years worth of sitcoms. Think of all the episodes that you remember on classic TV comidies that involve a husband and wife tandem that did not have them sniping at each other verbally. I can go back more than 50 years and I am coming up with a blank. That's how couples are written on TV because minor conflict is funny. Zingers are funny. Working out problems together is funny. Pointing out shortcomings is funny.

The fact is L/P are written now as a married couple with the standard humor for that trope. That's what we have to look forward to from now on.

Man, can you imagine the angst if someone shipped Al and Peg Bundy?  I agree with your premise.  We are not in the era of Leave it to Beaver.  Modern sitcom couples give each other shit on a regular basis.

• Like 2

That was what struck me as significant about that line. Penny accepts cracks about herself from all the gang and lets it roll off her like she was armor plated. Except Leonard. We have been so conditioned to Penny exploding at Leonard for the slightess possible critiszim even when it was not intentional. I waited for the explosion; it did not come. I remember how when Leonard gave the color-coded list of things to fix during the beta test, how the studio audience gasped as if to say "no Leonard, NO!" They were just as conditioned .

Penny since season one has known that she is on a special pedestal built for her by Leonard ("I know that Leonard has a little crush on me", to which Sheldon replied Leonard considered her his "Helen of Troy"). She is on no one elses pedestal, except for a time, Amy's. She has not liked for a moment not being worshipped by Leonard, so maybe this is growth that she can except Leonard's flash of true feeling without going code red.

It is getting old and I'm glad Kaley Cuocco-Sweeting called them out on it last week. Amoung the comments she made was that if she can get married after knowing a guy for six months, surely Penny can get married to a man she has known for six years. She made it obvious, gently of couse, that

TPTB are taking this failed proposal, delayed cohabitation thing to a silly extreme.

Surley your not exprcting lenny to get married all in a week of a 22 min ep, bbt has. Always bn the rype of show to have slow changes. Your not reslly comparing Pennys situation to Kaleys? In sitcom land their are way too many variables, are you daying everythibg kaley does should be a precedence for Lenny on bbt, im sorry if ur bding serious then seripusley. Kaley was makinf comments re the writers progression with Lenny and the rate, their is no direct correllation to her life. I get your point, but Lenny haveny bn together six yeats, they dated 1 year, were friends for 4 of the frst 5 seasons, and they have nearly been together three yeats. With 22 min a wk, with seven chatactets, it all depends on the main plot, its going to meticlous bt they wl prob be moving in together beford engsgement, but theyll grt their, i think lennys need to lower their expectations imp, stressing and complaining weeklg is pointless just saying.

Surley your not exprcting lenny to get married all in a week of a 22 min ep, bbt has. Always bn the rype of show to have slow changes. Your not reslly comparing Pennys situation to Kaleys? In sitcom land their are way too many variables, are you daying everythibg kaley does should be a precedence for Lenny on bbt, im sorry if ur bding serious then seripusley. Kaley was makinf comments re the writers progression with Lenny and the rate, their is no direct correllation to her life. I get your point, but Lenny haveny bn together six yeats, they dated 1 year, were friends for 4 of the frst 5 seasons, and they have nearly been together three yeats. With 22 min a wk, with seven chatactets, it all depends on the main plot, its going to meticlous bt they wl prob be moving in together beford engsgement, but theyll grt their, i think lennys need to lower their expectations imp, stressing and complaining weeklg is pointless just saying.

Not quite sure what you said there but I was just reporting Kaley's strong feelings on the subject of Lenny marriage and my agreement with her opinion about the silly ways TPTB treat the relationship's delays.

Here is the article:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/big-bang-theorys-kaley-cuoco-674701

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

Not quite sure what you said there but I was just reporting Kaley's strong feelings on the subject of Lenny marriage and my agreement with her comment.

Well my androids keypad is currently stuffed so hence the typos

. But it wasent in the whole post, so you diddnt have to be so conceded. I get you were sharing kaleys concerns of leenys current state of their relationship, but it sounded like you were implying the writers shld use that as a timeframe for when Lenny get engaged, my bad if you werent.

He said nearly three. Wasn't it in the middle of season 5 when they had L/P 2.0?

Yup, 5-13 and we're up to 7-15 now

Edit: For an engineer, my math skills suck. Too used to rounding up for a safety factor.

Edited by Disgusted

What difference does it make if it's 2 or almost 3? They have known each other in one form or another for over six years now. Whether as just neighbors, friends, best friends, bf/gf, lovers. Kaley is totally right it is rediculous that they have dragged the couple on for so long and they are still not married.

Of course it may just be that the writers are in a quandary and they just are not sure how to write them married? That's why they tried that snarky banter between them this past episode to see how it went. I'm interested in seeing how they interact in the next episode because in my opinion season 6 has been better than season 7 as far as Lenny goes.

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 1

It is really too black and white to say they have been only together just a little over two years. The writers have kept them in a gray area since that scene on his couch, after the Halloween party, where they made them something more than just friends and neighbors. Penny even told Alex that something has been going on between them for 5 years. So I think you need to take that into account when you describe their relationship because they know each other better than a lot of married people.

I think it's safe to say the exact time frame they been together doesn't really matter. It's been long enough. Penny quitting TCF is a delay tactic. They are in a pickle what to do with them. Penny being unemployed is going to keep things at a status quo. Just look at the last three episodes. Nothings changed or discussed about it.. Season 6 was better than season 7 because the Lenny relationship developed more. The "snarky" banter between the two IMO is no big deal. I would think something's got to give by seasons end.

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I've been saying we are in the third act, but now I think we have hit the fourth. That makes things more complex

Maybe, what we have had fits the "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets the girl" three act format, spread over six seasons, which is a pretty standard structure for most closed ended stories like a feature film, but is unusual for a sitcom. I think most sitcoms happen in a time warp and relationships generally stay static within whatever the particular sitcom premise was. "I Dream of Jeannie" is an example of where they finally bit the bullet and had the marriage, as again how long can the story reasonably run on unrequited sexual tension with ageing or maturing actors. I was a bit too young to care about what happened at the end of that show, but I think it petered out.

In this case, the show as a whole has been extended by bringing forward the second lead and sort of leap frogging the romantic hook, or passing the romantic buck. This has given the show the extra popular impetuous that will get it to ten seasons, even though the Leonard and Penny romance has run through its three acts. We are now in their fourth act, which we don't often see. Here we are finding out what we don't usually get to know, that it's not necessarily a fairy tale, and that no matter how glorious the nookie that ensues after the climactic ILY, there is necessarily a wet spot in the bed of roses that has to be negotiated.

So what we are getting now is a little more frank, as they face the realities of what they have chosen. I am hopeful that they will wobble up, down and around comically and with some sweetness.

The kicker is that while ships are non-rivalrous, leading characters are not. Shamy is upstaging L/P at this time to keep the emotional content high, which is fine for those who are not shipping L/P or who just watch without shipping. It's generally easy to root for two thwarted lovers. This is what got me into L/P, where Leonard had the best intentions but would shoot himself down and Penny was seemingly unaware of her fundamental attraction to this really great bloke. However I don't get the same thrill from Shamy, for whatever reason.

Our guys are grinding their way through consequences. It's not always going to be pretty but there is the chance for some meaty stuff that we haven't seen before, regardless of the accommodation and formal relationship issues, which to me seem unlikely to vaporise as long as Sheldon isn't panting to get into Amy's pants. Most kids leave home because they have needs that they can't meet with their parents around, ceteris paribus. Sheldon is not there yet, so his surrogacy will continue and L/P will have his care to juggle along with their own needs, which they can pretty much satisfy by going across the hall.

I have low expectations regarding a change of status at the moment but I am very hopeful that the team can sprinkle some joy on our somewhat fatigued couple, once they pay them the right amount of attention. Shamy may sit centre stage for a bit longer, though I don't really know how that is going to end up.

The best news is that, as long as they don't break what they have, we have an extended timeframe to see more of our guys.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 5

Hmmm. I'm not sure. I've been saying we are in the third act, but now I think we have hit the fourth. That makes things more complex

Maybe, what we have had fits the "boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets the girl" three act format, spread over six seasons, which is a pretty standard structure for most closed ended stories like a feature film, but is unusual for a sitcom. I think most sitcoms happen in a time warp and relationships generally stay static within whatever the particular sitcom premise was. "I Dream of Jeannie" is an example of where they finally bit the bullet and had the marriage, as again how long can the story reasonably run on unrequited sexual tension with ageing or maturing actors. I was a bit too young to care about what happened at the end of that show, but I think it petered out.

In this case, the show as a whole has been extended by bringing forward the second lead and sort of leap frogging the romantic hook, or passing the romantic buck. This has given the show the extra popular impetuous that will get it to ten seasons, even though the Leonard and Penny romance has run through its three acts. We are now in their fourth act, which we don't often see. Here we are finding out what we don't usually get to know, that it's not necessarily a fairy tale, and that no matter how glorious the nookie that ensues after the climactic ILY, there is necessarily a wet spot in the bed of roses that has to be negotiated.

So what we are getting now is a little more frank, as they face the realities of what they have chosen. I am hopeful that they will wobble up, down and around comically and with some sweetness.

The kicker is that while ships are non-rivalrous, leading characters are not. Shamy is upstaging L/P at this time to keep the emotional content high, which is fine for those who are not shipping L/P or who just watch without shipping. It's generally easy to root for two thwarted lovers. This is what got me into L/P, where Leonard had the best intentions but would shoot himself down and Penny was seemingly unaware of her fundamental attraction to this really great bloke. However I don't get the same thrill from Shamy, for whatever reason.

Our guys are grinding their way through consequences. It's not always going to be pretty but there is the chance for some meaty stuff that we haven't seen before, regardless of the accommodation and formal relationship issues, which to me seem unlikely to vaporise as long as Sheldon isn't panting to get into Amy's pants. Most kids leave home because they have needs that they can't meet with their parents around, ceteris paribus. Sheldon is not there yet, so his surrogacy will continue and L/P will have his care to juggle along with their own needs, which they can pretty much satisfy by going across the hall.

I have low expectations regarding a change of status at the moment but I am very hopeful that the team can sprinkle some joy on our somewhat fatigued couple, once they pay them the right amount of attention. Shamy may sit centre stage for a bit longer, though I don't really know how that is going to end up.

The best news is that, as long as they don't break what they have, we have an extended timeframe to see more of our guys.

I agree with most everything you said. It appears at this point the Shamy has reached the top of the peak. There is really, at least for now, nowhere to go but down. It sort of sounds like that the thrill of the Valentine's kiss has gone down from the report of the last taping. I'm like you that I don't get the thrill from the Shamy as I do the Lenny. Part of that I believe is that a large portion of Lenny fans are male (I know there are female Lenny fans) and that guys can relate to the nerdy guy wanting to get the hot girl. The nerdy guy getting the nerdy girl isn't the same. I think the TPTB wanted to get more of the female viewer got Sheldon into a relationship. I think you will eventually get movement out of the Lenny since the Shamy fans finally gotten what they wanted(SIK). As you mentioned above you thought the Lenny is  in the fourth act. You're probably right. Lenny and the show itself only has so much further to go.(Penny getting a career and a Lenny engagement and marriage.)  Hopefully as a Lenny fan it will be a trip to enjoy.

• Like 1

Well my androids keypad is currently stuffed so hence the typos

. But it wasent in the whole post, so you diddnt have to be so conceded. I get you were sharing kaleys concerns of leenys current state of their relationship, but it sounded like you were implying the writers shld use that as a timeframe for when Lenny get engaged, my bad if you werent.

Oh No. The writers should not use Kaley's marriage timeline (that's a subject for another discussion :laugh: ). What she was getting at that I agree on is that the delaying tactics and reasons for them not taking L/P to the logical next level are becoming clumsy and unbelieveable. She eluded to something that we have discussed on this board, seemly endlessly, that the writers don't know what to do with Sheldon if the Lenny become official. As she somewhat sarcasticlly implied with the "Three's Company" theme song, they want to keep Sheldon integrated in the Leonard and Penny relationship, as their Child/Ward/Pet, despite the fact that such a thing would cause hugh problems in real life. No women would stand for that.

The writers telegraphed that they know they have this problem when they had Sheldon asks L/P when are they going to get married and where would the three of them live. There must be quite a discussion of this behind the scenes with the producers and writing team. It's not a easy problem to solve and they can't "kick that can" down the road for much longer without the fans becomes weary.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 6

I don't see where it ends with marriage with Leonard and Penny. Remember the show 'Everyone likes Raymond' that was about a married couple that were snarky and went through a lot with each other, and the kids did not play a big part in the show, their family did. Well the gang is their family and I could see Leonard and Penny filling a similar roll like Ray and his wife in their show and still stay funny while being married.

I think the reason I dream of Jeanie failed was one, it was almost all about those two characters and two, there was so much unaddressed sexual tension in that show the fans got tired of it not being acted on.

I don't see where it ends with marriage with Leonard and Penny. Remember the show 'Everyone likes Raymond' that was about a married couple that were snarky and went through a lot with each other, and the kids did not play a big part in the show, their family did. Well the gang is their family and I could see Leonard and Penny filling a similar roll like Ray and his wife in their show and still stay funny while being married.

I think the reason I dream of Jeanie failed was one, it was almost all about those two characters and two, there was so much unaddressed sexual tension in that show the fans got tired of it not being acted on.

People are already complaining about Howard and Bernadette being an old married couple do they Penny and Leonard to be the same? "Raymond" was more of a traditional family show. The kids did occasionally show up.  TBBT is not traditional and the only thing I could see kid related is Penny pregnant at the end of season 10. I could see L/P maybe being married at the most the last season 1.5 seasons of the show but that is stretching it IMO.

Yet in the last episode they had Leonard giving Penny a shot for having a drinking problem and Penny giving Leonard a shot for being quick in the bedroom.   These are not "jabs" that normal couples give each other in front of other folks.   I would not be surprised if the writers have Leonard and Penny break up again, this time Leonard being the one saying that it is over.   I am not predicting that it WILL happen, I am just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they did.   Maybe they will do it as a way for Penny to get help with her drinking problem then Leonard takes her back.

Yet in the last episode they had Leonard giving Penny a shot for having a drinking problem and Penny giving Leonard a shot for being quick in the bedroom.   These are not "jabs" that normal couples give each other in front of other folks.   I would not be surprised if the writers have Leonard and Penny break up again, this time Leonard being the one saying that it is over.   I am not predicting that it WILL happen, I am just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if they did.   Maybe they will do it as a way for Penny to get help with her drinking problem then Leonard takes her back.

Yes, this is a major concern of the couple. Leonard must be getting very tired of it - unless Penny needs to be drunk to sleep with him. Hopefully Priya will return and she and Alex can move in on the top floor. Then Leonard can come to his senses and move out when Penny moves in with Sheldon, now that they have bonded so well. Then Leonard, Alex and Priya can form a companionship of three and spin-off. Amy can subsequently move into Penny's now empty apartment and continue pressing her suit upon Sheldon. Two shows and everyone is happy.

... or are they? :)

*** kidding alert ***

Well Penny should be big in this episode with PP, because she makes him smile. It will be nice to get worked up over a new episode.

Penny and Leonard seem to have some nice scenes together for a change. Little disappointed they turned the proposal into a big joke, even for the characters, sort of diminishes it.

Someone brought up the timeline and if this episode is suppose to be in May, it is sure strange that we have heard nothing about Penny working, since she would have quit months before. Wonder what she has been doing all day and where she is getting money?

The new ep with Proton sounds(reads) good.... even the *proposal*s

• Like 1