The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

good point. he's still little d to me. :p

And you madam, are a little b. But in the morning, I shall be Big D.

And you madam, are a little b. But in the morning, I shall be Big D.

You going to be in Norway in the morning?

Um, Leonard was her cheating boyfriend. Does the name Alice ring a bell? She is also a cheater. 

Does the name Penny ring a bell? She is also a cheater.

-- Sleeping with her boyfriend's brother? Um, not very nice. 

-- When Leonard sought out Penny for advice with the Priya/Alice situation, one pearl of Penny's wisdom was to 'sleep with the new girl and lie to Priya'. Um, again, not very nice and shows the same questionable morality that Leonard struggled with and ultimately didn't do. 

-- When Leonard sought out Penny for advice with the Priya/Alice situation, one pearl of Penny's wisdom was to 'sleep with the new girl and lie to Priya'. Um, again, not very nice and shows the same questionable morality that Leonard struggled with and ultimately didn't do. 

Your point? Doesn't change what he did, and he would have slept with Alice if she hadn't kicked him out. I was responding to the idea that Priya would somehow come back for Leonard because her boyfriend cheated and she wanted a safer option. It would make absolutely no sense for her to go to someone who had already cheated the last time. 

Would be nice if Penny made and submitted her star wars tape secretly and she gets selected for some role...

And I see no use of bringing back Priya or Alex.... it servers no purpose whatsoever.....

And Leonard would not have slept with Alice if she had not kicked him out..... if he wanted to then why would he even tell her had a gf.......

Penny cheating/sleeping with brothers was a *throwaway* line :p

Edited by vasu

Would be nice if Penny made and submitted her star wars tape secretly and she gets selected for some role...

And I see no use of bringing back Priya or Alex.... it servers no purpose whatsoever.....

And Leonard would not have slept with Alice if she had not kicked him out..... if he wanted to then why would he even tell her had a gf.......

Penny cheating/sleeping with brothers was a *throwaway* line :p

I looked up the scene on youtube and realize you're right on that point. He did kick himself afterwards for admitting to having a girlfriend. 

Here's what I'm not sure about. Were Leonard and Priya ever really exclusive? In my limited experience, the discussion of being exclusive was an deliberate escalation of the relationship, on the same order as ILY. There seems to be a presumption of exclusivity that never existed. Part of my point in my earlier post is that Priya and Leonard never got that serious, and Priya made it clear that Leonard was never really a factor in her life. She mentioned that there might be a permanent job opening for her in her firm exactly once, and pretty much the next episode, she's going back to India. It is unclear if that meant that she bid on the job and didn't get it, or if she was stringing Leonard along while negotiating her move back to India. Personally, the relationship was treated much more seriously in Season 5, after Priya moved back to India, than it ever was in Season 4, when they were actually dating. This was a non-exclusive fling. Nothing more. In Season 5, the writers retconned it so they could play the "Leonard as a patsy and cheater" plot line, but the relationship ended when Priya admitted she was moving back to India. I maintain that Leonard was wrong. He did not have a girlfriend. He had a user that was Skyping with him for a laugh, in between having F2F sex with her boyfriend in India. 

Penny's advice was actually correct. Leonard might as well hook up with Alice, as Priya was a non-factor in his life by this point. The smart move would have been to call up Priya, dump her for the duplicitous bitch she was, then go over to Alice's place and have at it. Instead, just like Penny's notional over-drinking, they don't have Leonard do what he would have normally done being the smart guy he is. He is smart enough to have dumped Priya first, since he wanted Alice, and she was a better match. He owed Priya the dust from his shoes. Every so often, the writers have one or more characters do something completely OOC, and this is it for Leonard. Shoot, Leonard shouldn't have told Alice he has a girlfriend, because he didn't. 

In character Leonard would have dumped Priya first and then gone after Alice. The writers needed to blow up both situations to clear the deck for Leonard and Penny 2.0. They were just sloppy about it, and needed a filler episode. 

Yeah, and everyone is absolutely perfect through their teenage years and never regrets anything. Since she moved to California, she has not cheated, and broken off a relationship when she found out the guy was married.

Yeah, way to take that one line out of context. How about we look at the entire exchange:

Leonard: Okay, uh, here it is. Is it cheating if a guy has a girlfriend…

Penny: Yeah, probably.  Right off the bat, she tells him he's probably cheating.

Leonard: Come on.

Penny: I’m sorry, go ahead.

Leonard: I met this girl, and she’s great. We have a lot in common.

Penny: Did you guys do it?

Leonard: No. We just made out a little.

Penny: Oh, look at you, you bad boy. Did you tell her about Priya? Note that Penny brings up Priya

Leonard: Well, I was gonna, but there were too many tongues in my mouth.

Penny: That’s gross.

Leonard: Here’s the thing, I, I’m not one of those guys who sneaks around and sleeps with more than one woman.

Penny: Well, good for you.  Yep, she's telling him it's good he's not sleeping with more than one woman

Leonard: The problem is, I want to be one of those guys.

Penny: So sleep with the new girl and lie to Priya.  Penny tells Leonard to sleep with the new girl and lie to Priya, if he wants to be one of those guys who sleeps with more than one woman.  Leonard brought it up, all she was doing was reflecting back to him what he already said he wanted.  This is the only time in the whole exchange that Penny tells him this, and only after he admits to wanting to sleep with more than one woman at the same time.

Leonard: Oh, that’s not who I am.

Penny: All right, then break it off with the new girl.  Penny tells him to break it off with the new girl, If that's not who he is.  

Leonard: Now, let’s not do anything rash. She’s really hot.

Penny: If you like this girl so much, why don’t you just end things with Priya?  Now she tells him to end it with Priya if he likes the new girl so much. 

Leonard: Priya and I are in love. I think we could get married someday.

Penny: Leonard, you’re looking for a way to sleep with both women and have everybody be happy about it.  And this is the whole point about it.  Penny knows exactly what Leonard is trying to do, get her to say it's OK to do that, and except for the one time where Leonard admits to wanting to be someone who sleeps around and lying about it.

Leonard: Now we’re getting somewhere.

Leonard went there intending to sleep with Alice.  His conscience, once he got there, got the better of him.  That still doesn't nullify his original intent in going there.  So Leonard gets points for stopping before actually having sex, but loses points for actually going there.  Penny has nothing to do with it.

• Like 7

I agree with a lot of what hammerman has said.  The Lenoard /Pryia relationship was basically over at the end of four when she went back to India.  Also, Leonard may have been more serious about that relationship than Pryia.  1) She slept with her old boyfriend when she returned home to India.  2) She was never willing to tell her parents about Leonard. 3) Her relationship with him would have never been approved by her parents, just as it was never approved by Raj. 

Also, IMO I cannot see why anyone would want to bring Pryia back, like Alex her character is done.  I do not see a role for her anymore. 

• Like 3

In character Leonard would have dumped Priya first and then gone after Alice. The writers needed to blow up both situations to clear the deck for Leonard and Penny 2.0. They were just sloppy about it, and needed a filler episode. 

Funny , I always thought that ... this episode was one of the better ones of that season....it had a good story of simple morale dilemma and things actually happen.....it was funny....

I thought Leonard's dilemma about that issue was understandable and I thought he explained himself pretty well to both Penny and Sheldon....I also thought it was pretty good story cause Penny instantly knew how to handle this dilemma....either you accept you're cheating on Priya or you can't be with another girl.....as simple as that.....

• Like 6

Okay after reading last nights taping report I so can't wait to see that episode. It is going to be so cool that Leonard gets her a car, instead of taking her back to TCF, so she can follow her dream. That is so Leonard and really shows how much he really loves her and is there for her. It sort of negates those two episodes from earlier this year.

• Like 9

You would think the "Leonard doesn't support Penny" comments should stop now.

• Like 8

Yeah, and everyone is absolutely perfect through their teenage years and never regrets anything. Since she moved to California, she has not cheated, and broken off a relationship when she found out the guy was married. Yeah, way to take that one line out of context. How about we look at the entire exchange:Leonard: Okay, uh, here it is. Is it cheating if a guy has a girlfriend…Penny: Yeah, probably.  Right off the bat, she tells him he's probably cheating.Leonard: Come on.Penny: I’m sorry, go ahead.Leonard: I met this girl, and she’s great. We have a lot in common.Penny: Did you guys do it?Leonard: No. We just made out a little.Penny: Oh, look at you, you bad boy. Did you tell her about Priya? Note that Penny brings up PriyaLeonard: Well, I was gonna, but there were too many tongues in my mouth.Penny: That’s gross.Leonard: Here’s the thing, I, I’m not one of those guys who sneaks around and sleeps with more than one woman.Penny: Well, good for you.  Yep, she's telling him it's good he's not sleeping with more than one womanLeonard: The problem is, I want to be one of those guys.Penny: So sleep with the new girl and lie to Priya.  Penny tells Leonard to sleep with the new girl and lie to Priya, if he wants to be one of those guys who sleeps with more than one woman.  Leonard brought it up, all she was doing was reflecting back to him what he already said he wanted.  This is the only time in the whole exchange that Penny tells him this, and only after he admits to wanting to sleep with more than one woman at the same time.Leonard: Oh, that’s not who I am.Penny: All right, then break it off with the new girl.  Penny tells him to break it off with the new girl, If that's not who he is.  Leonard: Now, let’s not do anything rash. She’s really hot.Penny: If you like this girl so much, why don’t you just end things with Priya?  Now she tells him to end it with Priya if he likes the new girl so much. Leonard: Priya and I are in love. I think we could get married someday.Penny: Leonard, you’re looking for a way to sleep with both women and have everybody be happy about it.  And this is the whole point about it.  Penny knows exactly what Leonard is trying to do, get her to say it's OK to do that, and except for the one time where Leonard admits to wanting to be someone who sleeps around and lying about it.Leonard: Now we’re getting somewhere.  Leonard went there intending to sleep with Alice.  His conscience, once he got there, got the better of him.  That still doesn't nullify his original intent in going there.  So Leonard gets points for stopping before actually having sex, but loses points for actually going there.  Penny has nothing to do with it.

What an absolutely dead on post Tensor. Very well done!

• Like 1

Okay after reading last nights taping report I so can't wait to see that episode. It is going to be so cool that Leonard gets her a car, instead of taking her back to TCF, so she can follow her dream. That is so Leonard and really shows how much he really loves her and is there for her. It sort of negates those two episodes from earlier this year.

I feel I have to play a bit of a devil's advocate here. Most people on here were upset when Penny didn't consult with Leonard about quitting TCF. Now Penny realizes she needs to go back to TCF because of no car and Leonard gets her a car without asking. Shouldn't he have consulted with her on such a big decision? I suppose it makes Penny look better by not having to ask Leonard for help.

Edited by Chrismo

I feel I have to play a bit of a devil's advocate here. Most people on here were upset when Penny didn't consult with Leonard about quitting TCF. Now Penny realizes she needs to go back to TCF because of no car and Leonard gets her a car without asking. Shouldn't he have consulted with her on such a big decision? I suppose it makes Penny look better by not having to ask Leonard for help.

I didn't get the impression that he just showed up on her doorstep with a new car; rather, he took her to get her a car (implying that he let her choose which one she wanted). In other words, "I'm taking you to get a car" instead of "here, I bought you a car." A small, yet important distinction.

• Like 4

And shows his kindness, and commitment. That would be a big gift for a non-committed relationship.

Edited by Tensor
  • Like 6

Funny , I always thought that ... this episode was one of the better ones of that season....it had a good story of simple morale dilemma and things actually happen.....it was funny....

I thought Leonard's dilemma about that issue was understandable and I thought he explained himself pretty well to both Penny and Sheldon....I also thought it was pretty good story cause Penny instantly knew how to handle this dilemma....either you accept you're cheating on Priya or you can't be with another girl.....as simple as that.....

Cheating is a state of MIND. If Leonard said to him self, Break up with Priya and start dating Alice. Then sleeping with Alice wouldn't be cheating even if he had not broken his ties with Priya. In his mind he was done priya and wouldn't sleep with her again. However in this case Leonard was not done with Priya and so in his mind he was cheating.   

Lenny presents hope so every average (nerdy) guy can date a super model. For that reason we want Leonard to be the successful super stud.    

I didn't get the impression that he just showed up on her doorstep with a new car; rather, he took her to get her a car (implying that he let her choose which one she wanted). In other words, "I'm taking you to get a car" instead of "here, I bought you a car." A small, yet important distinction.

Either way it shows just how much Leonard loves Penny and is committed to helping her realize her dream.

• Like 1

I thought Serial Apeist was never released....

Penny: Okay, look, here’s something people do not know about me. When I first moved out to L.A., I did a topless scene in a low-budget horror movie about a killer gorilla. Ugh! After I did it, I felt so ashamed. Thankfully, that thing never came out.

Sheldon: I’ve seen that. Yeah. Serial Apeist. Howard found it online the day we met you.

Penny: Oh, God.

Sheldon: And it was literally the moment you walked out the door.

Although with the "Guardians of the Galaxy" fiasco about to hit, who's to say there's no market. 

What am I thinking, Sharknado, et al, she could be the face of the syfy channel.

Edited by Disgusted
  • Like 1

I think Leonard buying Penny a new car kind of makes him look dumb or idiotic in the earlier episode where Penny quit her job.....

Again if money was his main reason of worry , I see no reason as to why he did not get the idea that he can support Penny in that area...but instead asks her to go back to cheesecake factory....

It sounds like it was surprise since they were on the way to TCF and it appears getting a car for her wasn't previously discussed

I think Leonard buying Penny a new car kind of makes him look dumb or idiotic in the earlier episode where Penny quit her job.....

Again if money was his main reason of worry , I see no reason as to why he did not get the idea that he can support Penny in that area...but instead asks her to go back to cheesecake factory....

I don't know if money was the total issue. I think part of it for Leonard was she was willing to go back to the TCF after the car broke down. I think getting the car has a purpose. She needs to be able to get auditions. Part of the question before was when she quit TCF she really had no plan. This time it appears she does.

You would think the "Leonard doesn't support Penny" comments should stop now.

LOL, not in this thread!