The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

That's very nice for you and your wife wanting to be sarcastic to each other and took for ever to make a real commitment to each other. For every one of your examples there are plenty of couples that get engaged in a "reasonable" amount of time and speak respectfully to each other. So what? This is a Sitcom. The fans are suppose to be jovial and actually laughing and pleased with the scene. Their not suppose to cringe and be bewildered as to what the hell is going on. It's been 7 years already! Make a frigging decision. If it's Sheldon then kill him in his sleep and move on!

Who the hell are you to question how long it took my wife and me to make a "real" commitment... as if that requires marriage.  That is possibly one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on the internet.  Marriage is a legal formality.  Particularly for people who don't care to have kids.  And I have news for you... five years is much closer to the norm these days for couples who actually have careers.  I'm sure among the more blue-collared portion of society, married with three kids might be the norm by 25.  Idiocracy coming to fruition...

More likely to be the home schooled and deeply religious, rather than just those who earn their keep from physical labour. Or maybe if they live in Texas? Lets slander each other, not the workers. :)

• Like 1

Who the hell are you to question how long it took my wife and me to make a "real" commitment... as if that requires marriage.  That is possibly one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on the internet.  Marriage is a legal formality.  Particularly for people who don't care to have kids.  And I have news for you... five years is much closer to the norm these days for couples who actually have careers.  I'm sure among the more blue-collared portion of society, married with three kids might be the norm by 25.  Idiocracy coming to fruition...

You missed my point entirely because you felt compelled to bring your private life into the conversation. Personally I don't give a rats behind how long it took you and your wife to get engaged or whatever you two decided. You did it your way and plenty of other couples make a decision contrary to yours. So what?

This is a sitcom it's suppose to be funny. Having Lenny's relationship in limbo for years and them being snarky to each must work for you. Great, I am happy for you. But it doesn't for me. That's my opinion and preference. Once again, its a sitcom, it's not real. They only have a certain period of time to finish the story. The story began with Leonard immediately falling for the beautiful girl next door and saying they will one day have smart and beautiful babies together. At the rate the writers are going that will happen three years after the show ends. That scenario may work for you but I don't seem to have the patience you appear to have.

I agree about the show and that the writers only have a certain amount of time complete the story.  The writers IMO are really drawing it out.  IMO this is starting to get tiresome.  My wife and I were talking about how the show was going and we were wondering if the show has had its "jump the shark" moment.  IMO it has not but it is in danger of drowning irrelevant unless they begin to do some new things and part of that is a significant event for Lenny, especially with three more years.  They could try and drag out the L/P relationship until the then but I think that many in the audience could lose interest.

• Like 1

Hey, I've got a neat (i.e. probably ridiculously unlikely) theory. Since they taped the Proton episode so far in advance, TPTB maybe assumed that details would leak out before it airs so they threw in some misdirection, and Leonard actually accepts Penny's proposal in a scene taped without the audience. Or maybe I need more sleep! The idea just sort of popped into my head, so I thought I'd put it out there for people to scoff at. Have fun.

• Like 5

I agree about the show and that the writers only have a certain amount of time complete the story. The writers IMO are really drawing it out. IMO this is starting to get tiresome. My wife and I were talking about how the show was going and we were wondering if the show has had its "jump the shark" moment. IMO it has not but it is in danger of drowning irrelevant unless they begin to do some new things and part of that is a significant event for Lenny, especially with three more years. They could try and drag out the L/P relationship until the then but I think that many in the audience could lose interest.

I understand what your saying but fortunately in regards to the overall show the ratings continue to be excellent. However, from a Lenny fan's perspective it's just annoying. When it comes to L/P and their relationship the writers always take the absolute most time consuming route possible to get where their going. This doesn't happen with the other couples just Lenny. The rest have their bumps and growing pains and they're rectified not later than the next episode but usually the same episode. With Lenny they have a normal growing pain and the writers break them up for almost three years. Why? It's a TV show they could just as easily worked out Penny's commitment issues while they were still together but the writers chose the longest route possible. Hell, the way Sheldon has treated Amy through the seasons now that's a couple that needed to break up to grow. However, their issues are being handled while they are still together with some type of solution in the very same episode.

I think we just picked the wrong couple to ship. Of course they were the only couple to ship at the start. Not to mention the main storyline as far as couples go. I just wish the writers would present more of Penny's feelings so we could better understand why it's taking her so long to do the obvious. This long discussion on this thread of is she committed or isn't she would then be answered. Perhaps that's the reason they won't do it. Right now I don't see a right or wrong answer to the commitment question.

Hey, I've got a neat (i.e. probably ridiculously unlikely) theory. Since they taped the Proton episode so far in advance, TPTB maybe assumed that details would leak out before it airs so they threw in some misdirection, and Leonard actually accepts Penny's proposal in a scene taped without the audience. Or maybe I need more sleep! The idea just sort of popped into my head, so I thought I'd put it out there for people to scoff at. Have fun.

I like how you think! It won't happen but I like how you think. :)

Edited by SodidIwin?

The rest have their bumps and growing pains and they're rectified not later than the next episode but usually the same episode.

I suggest you go back and look at season three. That entire season was basically Leonard/Penny problem, solved in the same episode. It's only recently that they have taken them through more than one episode to explain and solve the problem. It's interesting that you don't like that part of their relationship, as there were many who complained about the problem/solve the problem later in the episode. I like the extended arcs. It allows more depth.

With Lenny they have a normal growing pain and the writers break them up for almost three years.

Well, it was less than two (to be precise, it was 21 Months). The Wheaton Recurrence was 3.19, on April 12th, 2010 and they got back together in 5.13, The Recombination Hypothesis, on Jan 19, 2012.

I like how you think! It won't happen but I like how you think. :)

The mind can go to some interesting places at 2:30 in the morning.

I think we just picked the wrong couple to ship.

Not at all. L/P is a much more relate-able, believable couple.

The mind can go to some interesting places at 2:30 in the morning.

Not at all. L/P is a much more relate-able, believable couple.

That's why I love them. They are so believable!

That's why I love them. They are so believable!

Except... for Penny's lack of territoriality about the GTB. If they showed more of her and Leonard having quality time together and ditching Shelton I'd be pleased. They could make it funny,

Tensor alluded to a moment of domesticity coming up which is nice But they have taken the sharp edge off the Peldon. She makes allowances now instead of busting Sheldon's chops on her and Leonard's' behalf. To wit, when Sheldon demanded Leonard drive him to the aerodrome for his trip to midwife for Missy, Penny just let it go, but the guy was icing his foot after a serious Wii-ing injury. Where is the love?

She always lets the GTB off the hook these days. I want her to go junior rodeo on him, otherwise it's a case of the bully winning. And I hate that for Leonard. He used to be stuffed into his cello case and now he is being stuffed into constant servitude and his girl doesn't always back him. That's something that has to be recalibrated over the next three years or Leonard will be more the sad sack than the underdog.

• Like 2

Except... for Penny's lack of territoriality about the GTB. If they showed more of her and Leonard having quality time together and ditching Shelton I'd be pleased. They could make it funny,

Tensor alluded to a moment of domesticity coming up which is nice But they have taken the sharp edge off the Peldon. She makes allowances now instead of busting Sheldon's chops on her and Leonard's' behalf. To wit, when Sheldon demanded Leonard drive him to the aerodrome for his trip to midwife for Missy, Penny just let it go, but the guy was icing his foot after a serious Wii-ing injury. Where is the love?

She always lets the GTB off the hook these days. I want her to go junior rodeo on him, otherwise it's a case of the bully winning. And I hate that for Leonard. He used to be stuffed into his cello case and now he is being stuffed into constant servitude and his girl doesn't always back him. That's something that has to be recalibrated over the next three years or Leonard will be more the sad sack than the underdog.

I love when she junior rodeo'd on Sheldon.

Lenny's relationship is the nucleus of the show, always has been since season one, and that keeps millions of fans tuned in.  The rest of the gang are important too, but realistically, Lenny is what hold the show together.  Most likely in the next three seasons, the writers will move Lenny beyond just boyfriend/girlfriend stage, (hopefully).  Perhaps a baby in the works, either for Howard/Bernadette or Lenny. As for Sheldon, are the writers keeping him as Lenny's adopted child? or have him act more his age?  With Raj, not sure what the writers will do.

• Like 2

But people complained that they never dealt with Penny and her acting career, so when the writers put L/P in a steady place and spend some time having Penny work out her career issues and just keeping things on an even keel with Leonard & Penny, people start crying about how they're relationship is being dragged out.

I've always believed that the Lenny is endgame and feel confident that they'll get their happy ending. I think that Molaro loves them and their relationship enough that they won't get short shrift. But the writers aren't really in a hurry for either the Lenny or the Shamy to get to their end point. I think the difference is that Leonard and Penny have been in a full relationship, whatever their issues, for quite a while, whereas Sheldon and Amy have been in this very chaste, junior high relationship and before they can get to a more mature place, they have to make bigger strides. That they are making those strides in what seems to be a quicker pace is because they have further to go. And I don't think they're going to get nearly to the same place as Leonard and Penny any time soon.

As for Howard and Bernie, the state of their relationship isn't nearly as crucial to the overall story, so it was easier, and made a lot of sense to marry them off more quickly.

I think also at stake is the main setting of the boys' apartment. If they want to keep that setting as long as possible, with the boys living there and Penny across the hall, then nothing is going to change dramatically until the end.

I don't think it has anything to do with jumping the shark or that the Lenny is bound to be disappointing. I think it's just the various chapters of a long story. So in this chapter we're focusing on Penny making choices about her career, and to some degree, on Sheldon coming to a different place in his relationship with Amy, finding out that kissing his girlfriend, for instance, isn't a bad thing. And what that will eventually lead to May be part of this chapter, or be part of the next one.

And we also have Raj's story to deal with, and who knows how long that will take and how that will play out. Since he isn't part of the Big Three, I imagine that it will play out a little faster, but it will still take him a while to get it right with whichever girl he ends up with.

So, it's ultimately a long story, and there are still other chapters to explore, in terms of the guys and their careers, their hobbies, etc., all the things about them apart from their relationships. There are al, kinds of stories to be told apart from getting people married off.

• Like 3

@phanta, the thing for me is that i don't watch for Sheldon, I watch for Leonard and Penny. Sheldon has run out of credibility for me and is actually a turn off. Its my preference. They can do what the like with him but I won't really care. So, without the right amount of L/P, the show, for me, becomes nothing special.

That's ok for the world at large, but hard for me as an L/P fancier.

• Like 5

@phanta, the thing for me is that i don't watch for Sheldon, I watch for Leonard and Penny. Sheldon has run out of credibility for me and is actually a turn off. Its my preference. They can do what the like with him but I won't really care. So, without the right amount of L/P, the show, for me, becomes nothing special.

I understand your frustration. At times I feel the same way. However we need to look at this season with L/P as building blocks or a checklist for the future. Penny's career needed to be dealt with in order to have significant progress in the future. How it was shown that she missed him in episode 1; her greeting him in episode 2; how she wanted to comfort him when he was upset with Beverly's book being used on her class; the Romance Resonance; how upset she was finding she was still married to Zack. There have been a lot of small lovely moments for them. Still difficult when it is "all Sheldon all the time", but I do think they have their eye on L/P's future.....

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 5

I couldn't agree more. Sheldon drives me crazy. There is no way I could put up with a friend half as socially incompetent as Sheldon. I think I would have punched him out the First time he talked to Penny about Lenard's sex life.  

• Like 2

I understand your frustration. At times I feel the same way. However we need to look at this season with L/P as building blocks or a checklist for the future. Penny's career needed to be dealt with in order to have significant progress in the future. How it was shown that she missed him in episode 1; her greeting him in episode 2; how she wanted to comfort him when he was upset with Beverly's book being used on her class; the Romance Resonance; how upset she was finding she was still married to Zack. There have been a lot of small lovely moments for them. Still difficult when it is "all Sheldon all the time", but I do think they have their eye on L/P's future.....

Tapatalk

Respectfully, I say this is "grasping at straws", " cold comfort"," tokenistic" or "throwing L/P a bone". It it what it it. There has been a switch in content that has reached a critical minimum for me. And the substituted content, while popularly attractive, inflates a character designed to be the antagonist to the L/P and makes him the protagonist for the show. I got on board for Leonard, not for his goofy, obnoxious sidekick, and I have not been swept up in his reconstruction. The guy I like gets demeaned and thwarted, most of the time by his purported best friend. This season even his girl, for whom he battled ogres and has endured other trials, stands by as his antagonists (including his mother) have at him. They give him small wins but the thumb is very much on the scales against him. Constantly.

They gave him a red coat, instead of real things to do.*sigh*

LOL :)

(runs off to bedroom and slams door, cries into pillow) :)

• Like 5

Respectfully, I say this is "grasping at straws", " cold comfort"," tokenistic" or "throwing L/P a bone". It it what it it. There has been a switch in content that has reached a critical minimum for me. And the substituted content, while popularly attractive, inflates a character designed to be the antagonist to the L/P and makes him the protagonist for the show. I got on board for Leonard, not for his goofy, obnoxious sidekick, and I have not been swept up in his reconstruction. The guy I like gets demeaned and thwarted, most of the time by his purported best friend. This season even his girl, for whom he battled ogres and has endured other trials, stands by as his antagonists (including his mother) have at him. They give him small wins but the thumb is very much on the scales against him. Constantly.

They gave him a red coat, instead of real things to do.*sigh*

LOL :)

(runs off to bedroom and slams door, cries into pillow) :)

. Take heart. I really believe that we will be happy by the end (I do disagree that they are not close to "jumping the shark". The treatment of Sheldon does echo that of Fonzie on Happy Days. They do run the risk of there being too much on that score).

Tapatalk

• Like 1

Plus at least we are here talking about Leonard & Penny; not to offend anyone, but everywhere else there is much, much, much Sheldon speak going on....

Tapatalk

• Like 1

Come on people! More Leonard & Penny talk!!!

Tapatalk

At one point this thread actually had more posts than the Shamy thread. Then came the SIK and all that, and the placing of L/P "on the shelf". 

Plus quite a few posters left or stopped commenting. Plus its basketball time. :>(

There has been no substantial progress, so there is nothing to say. 

I could be totally wrong about the progress, I haven't even watched the last 4 episodes.....

Well, then perhaps that's more the issue than any actual fault in the storytelling. It's like reading a book and skipping all the chapters that don't focus on your favorite character.

Even so, I don't think it's about too much Sheldon or too little Lenny or whatever. I think the writers are still thinking of the group as a whole and Lenny as a couple, but also Penny as an individual, Leonard as an individual, etc.

If you're only watching for one aspect of the show, you're bound to be disappointed because there's no way their going to do all Lenny all the time, especially at this point and with where they are in their relationship.

Since they don't have a lot of relationship stuff to go through apart from deciding when and how they'll eventually get married, that's probably going to be out off to keep from getting there too soon.

But most importantly, it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the show or the writing, or with the nature of the Lenny relationship. It's simply a matter of which chapter they're working through for now.

I couldn't agree more. Sheldon drives me crazy. There is no way I could put up with a friend half as socially incompetent as Sheldon. I think I would have punched him out the First time he talked to Penny about Lenard's sex life.

Fortunately for Sheldon, the story isn't about what you would put up with. It's about what Leonard is willing to put up with--and it's always going to be exaggerated for comedic effect. There are probably very few people who would put up with someone like Sheldon, and few girls like Penny who would date someone like Leonard, etc., etc..

But since the show isn't a documentary or some crappy reality show, it can take the characters to certain extremes for a laugh. I've never understood why people try to take Sheldon. So seriously in situations like that.

I think the whole Sheldon thing is just to get women to watch the show. Since most (not all) Lenny fans are male it's hard to understand the infatuation that people have with him. he can be funny but IMO he is over used. To me the whole Shamy thing is a chick thing. my first impression of Shamy is why do they have the homosexual and the lesbian together. That's why I have a hard time liking them. viewership is eventually going to go down in my opinion unless Lenny has a more prominent part of the show.

What or who is GTB?  (Sorry, forum newbie...don't have the full lexicon yet!)  Thanks!

@phanta, well, usually a book has a lead character. We know that this is an ensemble thing now and at the moment Sheldon's story is most interesting for most people. Its not that interesting to me. Maybe I am expressing my regret that the lead is no longer being written as the lead. What used to be the mission statement "our babies ..." is no longer the primary mission. Now the mission is " lets get Sheldon's pants off". I have no interest in watching him pass through his delayed adolescence. Zero. But I do want to see what happens to Leonard and Penny. But its now more about how they serve Sheldon's story.

So they changed the book's contents and left the dust jacket the same. Each week I "read" another installment and find the L/P content more diluted.

I'm totally not in control of it so I just have to endure those bits I don't like to get to the bits I do. Completely reasonable approach. I'm not shouting the show has been ruined. And I'm not jumping into the Shamy thread to decry the situation.

What or who is GTB? (Sorry, forum newbie...don't have the full lexicon yet!) Thanks!

giant tyrannical baby. Work it out. LOL:)

• Like 3