The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Why? They are in a good place, have cute little scenes together and there are 2 episodes after "The Proton Transmogrification". Enough space for some development. I don't believe that the Proton episode is "the finale for Lenny"... that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, especially since we know nothing about these 2 episodes..

Finale? I assume you are referring to some other post, it certainly never came from me.

I see no progress in their relationship from end S6 nearly a year ago. Hoping for a significant change with them is clutching at straws. IMHO the writers have plans to drag this out over the next 3 seasons and are likely to throw some scraps out for Lenny shippers.

The whole Penny/Bernie thing really doesn't strike me as being anything that serious.

Amy and Bernie lied to their friends/guys to get away from Penny's obsessing over the SA movie and Sheldon obsessing over his career. When L/P/S come across them at the restaurant, P&S are miffed that they girls lied and were sick of them, etc.

So Penny gets back at Bernie by revealing her lie to Howard. Howard's penalty is for Bernie to have to play the naughty catholic schoolgirl, so Bernie gets back at Penny by ratting her out.

But I don't think it's intended to be a serious thing. Leonard may he surprised, but there's no sign that he gets mad at Penny. My impression from the taping report is that Leonard is on a very even keel. He tries to avoid coming out and hurting Penny's feelings by saying "I love you" (because of how Amy says, "it doesn't mean we don't love you") instead of agreeing that she's been talking too much about the movie. And when Bernie tattles on Penny he doesn't seem to get upset.

I don't think it's supposed to be anymore than a little friendly poking at each other, they way they all do. It a way it reminds me of that cafeteria scene where the guys are confessing to each other about the phone in the urinal and borrowing Sheldon's toothbrush and moths in Leonard's food, etc.

• Like 4

Finale? I assume you are referring to some other post, it certainly never came from me.I see no progress in their relationship from end S6 nearly a year ago. Hoping for a significant change with them is clutching at straws. IMHO the writers have plans to drag this out over the next 3 seasons and are likely to throw some scraps out for Lenny shippers.

Actually I think there has been significant progress in the Lenny relationship. if you are looking at progress as only them moving in together or an actual engagement there has been no progress. Penny quitting TCF has a direct effect on their relationship. Let's be honest Penny was never going to marry Leonard while working at TCF. Leonard who IMO supported Penny's acting but was never all in until he got her the car. Penny actually discussing marriage earlier this season and in an upcoming episode is a change. Fights between them in earlier seasons which would have been devastating seem to be no big deal this season. All of these things seem to be progress in their relationship. To me though until Penny gets some steady acting jobs positive marriage proposals or moving in together won't happen. IMO when the steady acting jobs comes everything will fall into place. it's gotta happen soon I would think their not going to have her line out on the street or with L/S for thst matter.
  • Like 1

Lenny love each other, so any arguments between them is just part of their relationship.  One thing Leonard should do is defend his girl; he should be a man., he will never have another girl like Penny.

I totally disagree with some comments indicating that there is no passion between Lenny, whoever has been watching Lenny since season one, it as been a developing relationship.  Leonard as been courting Penny since season one; and they really love each other, just because they might argue does not mean  there is no passion.  No relationship is perfect.  The relationship between Shammy, I m not sure what to call that, a robotic/platonic relationship, a relationship with no physical contact = no passion.  The gifting of the car by Leonard symbolizes his true love for Penny, it took her five years to say " I love you " to Leonard, that is true passion between them.  And episode after episode, Leonard Is always there for his love, Penny.

• Like 2

I don't doubt they are more of a unit. If she lifted money from his wallet its likely that at some level she was thinking of it as their wallet. I just regret that they are not more overtly depicted. These subtleties are all about ambiguity, which is right where TPTB want us to live, until they get back to this part of the story.

Finale? I assume you are referring to some other post, it certainly never came from me.

I see no progress in their relationship from end S6 nearly a year ago. Hoping for a significant change with them is clutching at straws. IMHO the writers have plans to drag this out over the next 3 seasons and are likely to throw some scraps out for Lenny shippers.

Yes, the thing about the finale was someone else.

Lenny love each other, so any arguments between them is just part of their relationship.  One thing Leonard should do is defend his girl; he should be a man., he will never have another girl like Penny.

That I think is one of the underlying themes of the show, Leonard has been with several pretty girls, Priya, Alex and Alice were all pretty and they all went after him. Some people think he just wants Penny because she is beautiful, but he had several beautiful girls who wanted him, so pretty is not really the main reason he wants her, it is because of who she is inside is why he wants her. He could always talk to her and they were good friends before they got together. Penny is the same way, she loves Leonard for who he is (and maybe his cute tushie).

• Like 1

That I think is one of the underlying themes of the show, Leonard has been with several pretty girls, Priya, Alex and Alice were all pretty and they all went after him. Some people think he just wants Penny because she is beautiful, but he had several beautiful girls who wanted him, so pretty is not really the main reason he wants her, it is because of who she is inside is why he wants her. He could always talk to her and they were good friends before they got together. Penny is the same way, she loves Leonard for who he is (and maybe his cute tushie).

Talking about a beautiful girl who wanted him, there was Dr. Stephanie. I was having a conversation with someone, do you all realized Leonard's time with Dr. Stephanie is over five years ago?

• Like 3

Talking about a beautiful girl who wanted him, there was Dr. Stephanie. I was having a conversation with someone, do you all realized Leonard's time with Dr. Stephanie is over five years ago?

Your right of course. She wanted him and Penny would have never got him, but you notice how Penny helped him break up with her. Leslie wanted Leonard till Sheldon broke them up. Alex definitely wanted him and Alice seemed to want him too. The only flings he had were Plimpton and maybe Priya (and she we don't know for sure). Penny had flings, her two longest relationships were Kurt and Mike, both flings. It is sad to say but we know women were interested in Leonard as marriage material, but except for Leonard, there is no evidence she was ever considered that way, by the men she dated. So you could take that as meaning, Leonard's the catch not her, except to Leonard.

• Like 2

@sram, Penny isn't exactly swimming in options. Beverly nailed it. She really is right to take a stand now with her career and make the effort. I think it will pay off in the long run because she can't respectably end up just the trophy. She has to have choices with some promise. Even if its not Julia Roberts type glory, she should at least have some hope and some success. If only niche.

I am going doubt that there will be any changes to the L/P paradigm and just wait to be surprised and so bypass disappointment.

Your right of course. She wanted him and Penny would have never got him, but you notice how Penny helped him break up with her. Leslie wanted Leonard till Sheldon broke them up. Alex definitely wanted him and Alice seemed to want him too. The only flings he had were Plimpton and maybe Priya (and she we don't know for sure). Penny had flings, her two longest relationships were Kurt and Mike, both flings. It is sad to say but we know women were interested in Leonard as marriage material, but except for Leonard, there is no evidence she was ever considered that way, by the men she dated. So you could take that as meaning, Leonard's the catch not her, except to Leonard.

I definitely wouldn't consider Kurt a fling, they were together for four years. Mike seemed like a regular relationship, they dated for the better part of S1. Leslie was a fling and Alice probably wouldn't have amounted to anything more, they were just hooking up in that episode. Let's not forget Bernadette's friend Joyce, who he went out with again only because he knew she'd put out. So Stephanie is the only one who ever considered him marriage material, Priya had no respect for him, and Alex just reeked of desperation (why else would she shamelessly pursue a guy in a relationship?) 

@sram, Penny isn't exactly swimming in options. Beverly nailed it. She really is right to take a stand now with her career and make the effort. I think it will pay off in the long run because she can't respectably end up just the trophy. She has to have choices with some promise. Even if its not Julia Roberts type glory, she should at least have some hope and some success. If only niche.

I am going doubt that there will be any changes to the L/P paradigm and just wait to be surprised and so bypass disappointment.

I so want Penny to be able to support herself acting and not be a failure that has to settle with Leonard. She doesn't have to make it big, but I would like to see her sitting with Leonard a year from now going over her income for taxes and him tell her she made twice as much acting the last year than waitressing, she supported herself solely by acting, so yes she is a professional actress. I don't want Penny to be a star, but I don't want her a failure either, it just wouldn't seem right for the character. Then with her feeling a little successful, she can ask Leonard to marry her.

You know the writers could really have fun with Penny, she could take some jobs, like the extras that sit in the cafeteria when the guys do scenes there, to make extra money to keep her apartment. It would be cute if she got a short 3-4 episode part in a show, maybe with a handsome actor, so we can have her not letting guys hit on her while Leonard's around. There is a lot the writers could do with her, I think this Serial Apeist thing just scratches the surface.

• Like 4

I definitely wouldn't consider Kurt a fling, they were together for four years. Mike seemed like a regular relationship, they dated for the better part of S1. Leslie was a fling and Alice probably wouldn't have amounted to anything more, they were just hooking up in that episode. Let's not forget Bernadette's friend Joyce, who he went out with again only because he knew she'd put out. So Stephanie is the only one who ever considered him marriage material, Priya had no respect for him, and Alex just reeked of desperation (why else would she shamelessly pursue a guy in a relationship?)

I think fling in regards to Kurt and Mike probably isn't the right term. Losers are probably a better term. Kurt peed on a cop car and Mike blogged about their sex life. you could probably group Zack, Luther, and a couple others that Penny and her Father mentioned backed in high school. I think Leonard had more interest from women who weren't big losers like Penny did. Were they marriage material? probably not.

Leonard and Penny were good tonight except for the part where she didn't ask him if he dated anyone when he dated her.  With all that crap that happened with Alex in season 6, while he dated her, and her admitting to being insecure, a normal girl would have asked immediately if he dated anyone else, just to see if he mentioned Alex.  Plus she knew he dated Alice while he was still technically with Priya.

• Like 2

Leonard and Penny were good tonight

Hand on his arm after the Raj thing, Rubbing her arm to comfort her at coffee shop with Wil.

Edited by gsxdoug

Leonard and Penny were good tonight except for the part where she didn't ask him if he dated anyone when he dated her.  With all that crap that happened with Alex in season 6, while he dated her, and her admitting to being insecure, a normal girl would have asked immediately if he dated anyone else, just to see if he mentioned Alex.  Plus she knew he dated Alice while he was still technically with Priya.

I think if this was brought up a year agoI would agree with you. Penny addressed it at the time and Leonard said nothing was going to happen with Alex. she believed them and moved on. I actually think it was worse that Leonard questioned her.

Well technically, their first date was in season 1, just after the Mike blog. So Penny wasn't dating anyone, then. And of course in season one, Leonard was mostly not able to ask someone out, something Penny knew.

Edited by Tensor

I like the part where they were reading the script together, I am so glad they didn't have Leonard put his foot in his mouth and say something wrong, it was a nice scene.  Really Leonard came off very supportive this episode, especially in the cafe, when Wil imploded, the comfort he gave her was a really nice scene.

• Like 3

So you could take that as meaning, Leonard's the catch not her, except to Leonard.

Half the time you seem to have the attitude that Penny is trash and Leonard would be better off with Alex. Because she's seen as a catch to more people than just Leonard, Howard, Raj, and Amy being a few easy examples. Her mentioning Alex would have indicated a lack of trust, and then half the forum would be complaining about that. She's probably forgotten about plain Alex like most of the audience. I would have if it weren't for the boards. 

Penny mentioned going for the rich, handsome, but not so nice type back in S1, so I doubt they were "flings" as you seem to classify them, and would probably be seen at the surface as more desirable than Leonard. 

Edited by DaisyJane

Half the time you seem to have the attitude that Penny is trash and Leonard would be better off with Alex. Because she's seen as a catch to more people than just Leonard, Howard, Raj, and Amy being a few easy examples. Her mentioning Alex would have indicated a lack of trust, and then half the forum would be complaining about that. She's probably forgotten about plain Alex like most of the audience. I would have if it weren't for the boards. 

Penny mentioned going for the rich, handsome, but not so nice type back in S1, so I doubt they were "flings" as you seem to classify them, and would probably be seen at the surface as more desirable than Leonard. 

While I agree with you that bringing up Alex would show a lack of trust, I could see people taking Penny's lack of interest of asking Leonard if he went out with anyone while dating as no could be a better catch than me. To me what she probably should of done it's to follow what Bernadette, Howard and Leonard had done. I think some of her problem is that she can come off as a little aloof at times. Howard and Raj just wanted to sleep with her. couldn't tell you what Amy's deal was. I don't know if Penny ever dated a rich guy. it has never been mentioned on the show.

While I agree with you that bringing up Alex would show a lack of trust, I could see people taking Penny's lack of interest of asking Leonard if he went out with anyone while dating as no could be a better catch than me. To me what she probably should of done it's to follow what Bernadette, Howard and Leonard had done. I think some of her problem is that she can come off as a little aloof at times. Howard and Raj just wanted to sleep with her. couldn't tell you what Amy's deal was. I don't know if Penny ever dated a rich guy. it has never been mentioned on the show.

Actually it has. In the S1 finale, she described herself as being "done" with the guys she usually dates; describing them as macho, great hair, and having a lot of money. Leonard ironically replied that must be awful. The other scientist Penny went for, David I believe, also comes to mind. On the surface he seemed like everything you'd want in a guy, until you learn his is married. 

Actually it has. In the S1 finale, she described herself as being "done" with the guys she usually dates; describing them as macho, great hair, and having a lot of money. Leonard ironically replied that must be awful. The other scientist Penny went for, David I believe, also comes to mind. On the surface he seemed like everything you'd want in a guy, until you learn his is married.

I don't remember the lot of money part but I will take your word for it. Though that kind of goes against the season 3 finale when she said that Because of Leonard she could not date dumb guys. Dumb and rich don't usually go together. Dave Underhill is who you are referring to. That was really no more than a one night stand because of Penny finding out he was married. now that I believe was an actual fling.

I don't remember the lot of money part but I will take your word for it. Though that kind of goes against the season 3 finale when she said that Because of Leonard she could not date dumb guys. Dumb and rich don't usually go together. Dave Underhill is who you are referring to. That was really no more than a one night stand because of Penny finding out he was married. now that I believe was an actual fling.

The following, from The Tangerine Factor, can be found here . The second Penny's Apartment scene.

"Penny: I swear to God, I am done with guys like that. You know, macho, with the perfect body and the hair, and the money.

Leonard: Yeah, that must get old quick.

Penny: You know, just once, I would like to go out with someone who is nice, and honest, and who actually cares about me.

…"

With Leonard going on to ask Penny out.