The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

There is no chance of Penny dumping Leonard. You will see the Shamy having coitus on his spot on the couch before Penny dumping Leonard. I'm not sure why there seems to be a reason for the way Penny treats Leonard and Sheldon. That's like comparing taking candy from an adult and taking candy from a three year old. I've always said that Leonard should have shoved Penny out the door when she was drunk. Penny shoving Leonard out the door seems to reflect at least to me more on Leonard than on Penny. It's like you expect a gift because you gave a gift.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 1

There is no chance of Penny dumping Leonard. You will see the Shamy having coitus on his spot on the couch before Penny dumping Leonard. I'm not sure why there seems to be a reason for the way Penny treats Leonard and Sheldon. That's like comparing taking candy from an adult and taking candy from a three year old. I've always said that Leonard should have shoved Penny out the door when she was drunk. Penny shoving Leonard out the door seems to reflect at least to me more on Leonard than on Penny. It's like you expect a gift because you gave a gift.

As dumb as it sounds Leonard did not shove Penny away because he thought Penny wanted to get back with him..... this is what I took from the next day morning scene.....and Penny clearly understood this....

I never wanted her to sleep with Leonard when he comes to her home drunk ....but at least a little of bit of sympathy would have been nice....since Penny exactly knew what happened....but alas.....

I watched the last episode a couple times and something I noticed was that Penny never left or entered the apartment like before, she was like there all the time, since first thing in the morning. I liked her presence there, I really think if she moved in with Leonard it could be good for a while and then they could move Amy across the hall. I like to see them do it for a season, then have her move back across, this time with Leonard, and Amy then takes Leonard's old room, sometime is season 9.

Considering Penny's affection towards Leonard, I would like to see her sometimes, when he is sitting or even standing in the kitchen, just come up behind him, wrap her arms around his waist, put her head on his shoulder, sort of a backwards hug, and just cuddle him and ask him 'What'sa doing'. I would also like to see her grab him and kiss him on the cheek again, or a quick peck on the lips, when she comes and goes, in the same cute way she did in earlier seasons. Penny is suppose to be adorable, I would just like to see some of that adorable Penny back with Leonard.

• Like 6

I watched the last episode a couple times and something I noticed was that Penny never left or entered the apartment like before, she was like there all the time, since first thing in the morning. I liked her presence there, I really think if she moved in with Leonard it could be good for a while and then they could move Amy across the hall. I like to see them do it for a season, then have her move back across, this time with Leonard, and Amy then takes Leonard's old room, sometime is season 9.

Considering Penny's affection towards Leonard, I would like to see her sometimes, when he is sitting or even standing in the kitchen, just come up behind him, wrap her arms around his waist, put her head on his shoulder, sort of a backwards hug, and just cuddle him and ask him 'What'sa doing'. I would also like to see her grab him and kiss him on the cheek again, or a quick peck on the lips, when she comes and goes, in the same cute way she did in earlier seasons. Penny is suppose to be adorable, I would just like to see some of that adorable Penny back with Leonard.

Yeah me too. A bit of TLC would be nice once in a while. They are so starving us of little lenny moments this season. Don't get me wrong there have been a few but not enough IMHO.

Send from my Galaxy Note3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As dumb as it sounds Leonard did not shove Penny away because he thought Penny wanted to get back with him..... this is what I took from the next day morning scene.....and Penny clearly understood this....

I never wanted her to sleep with Leonard when he comes to her home drunk ....but at least a little of bit of sympathy would have been nice....since Penny exactly knew what happened....but alas.....

You're really making a lot out of that scene. Leonard is certainly no stranger to casual sex, so it was on him for assuming, and arguably taking advantage of the situation. As for the final scene, it was the tag for one and it had already been made clear they were not getting back together. I would feel really bad for him if he hadn't been coming back from trying to get Leslie to sleep with him. He was fine. 

You're really making a lot out of that scene. Leonard is certainly no stranger to casual sex, so it was on him for assuming, and arguably taking advantage of the situation. As for the final scene, it was the tag for one and it had already been made clear they were not getting back together. I would feel really bad for him if he hadn't been coming back from trying to get Leslie to sleep with him. He was fine. 

First of all , tag or not a tag does not make any difference...a thing happened is a thing happened....

Taking advantage?? If he really thought of taking advantage .... he acted pretty by seeming genuinely shocked to learn the next morning it was just casual sex.....

As far a trying to sleep with Leslie and coming......he was upset...and Penny clearly knew the reason....yet she still shoved him away.......

Would showing a little sympathy could have done Penny any harm.... I hardly think so.........as she certainly is no stranger to showering her sympathy......

And look I'm not saying it is completely Penny's fault... Leonard was wrong in assuming that Penny wanted him back....but for me at least it seemed that he genuinely thought Penny wanted him back from the next day morning scene......and Penny clearly understood this.......yet she still behaved cruelly....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 3

Not to change the subject, but I would just like to throw this out there regarding the posters that say Penny doesn't defend Leonard when Sheldon makes those comments toward him. I firmly believe the girl from Nebraska that can bring down and hog tie a steer in 60 seconds would defend Leonard in a heartbeat if the proper situation arose. The reason she doesn't with Sheldon is because it has been mention more than once this season that she wants him to stand up to Sheldon and stop taking his comments. That is part of the process as Stuart said Penny is bring Leonard out of his shell. It's not that she doesn't care, but just the opposite. She wants the more assertive Leonard with a backbone. Together they make one beautiful couple!

I know this is the appreciation thread...but I as I am one of those posters I felt I had to respond....

In the table episode when the real chance came to Penny for supporting Leonard....she showered her sympathy to Sheldon in the end.... she was the one who originally asked Leonard to stand up.....but when Leonard was actually standing up....she just asked him to quit it...."it's over" she said......

I don't think this is a criticism ....it's just a fact.....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 2

I know this is the appreciation thread...but I as I am one of those posters I felt I had to respond....

In the table episode when the real chance came to Penny for supporting Leonard....she showered her sympathy to Sheldon in the end.... she was the one who originally asked Leonard to stand up.....but when Leonard was actually standing up....she just asked him to quit it...."it's over" she said......

I don't think this is a criticism ....it's just a fact.....

My interpretation of that scene was that the girls (Penny and Bernie) felt bad for Amy having to sit alone on the couch with Sheldon not that they cared about Sheldon's feelings on the matter. If Amy would have stood up to Sheldon instead of caving in to his childishness then "it wouldn't have been over".

• Like 3

First of all , tag or not a tag does not make any difference...a thing happened is a thing happened....

Taking advantage?? If he really thought of taking advantage .... he acted pretty by seeming genuinely shocked to learn the next morning it was just casual sex.....

As far a trying to sleep with Leslie and coming......he was upset...and Penny clearly knew the reason....yet she still shoved him away.......

Would showing a little sympathy could have done Penny any harm.... I hardly think so.........as she certainly is no stranger to showering her sympathy......

And look I'm not saying it is completely Penny's fault... Leonard was wrong in assuming that Penny wanted him back....but for me at least it seemed that he genuinely thought Penny wanted him back from the next day morning scene......and Penny clearly understood this.......yet she still behaved cruelly....

Leonard was quite aware that Penny was  drunk.  I'm not sure why he would assume a drunk Penny would be getting back together.    Leonard also assumed they were getting back together in The Love Car Displacement, even though Penny specifically said ONE NIGHT.    Leonard simply wanted to get back together and took her offers as thinking she wanted to also.  When it was quite clear she simply wanted a night of sex with him.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the gag was that Leonard was naive and hopeful, and that it showed Penny didn't hate him. It never bothered me, because it lets us know they were still a possibility.

• Like 2

Leonard was quite aware that Penny was  drunk.  I'm not sure why he would assume a drunk Penny would be getting back together.    Leonard also assumed they were getting back together in The Love Car Displacement, even though Penny specifically said ONE NIGHT.    Leonard simply wanted to get back together and took her offers as thinking she wanted to also.  When it was quite clear she simply wanted a night of sex with him.  

Unfortunately when one person cares so much for another but the feelings aren't reciprocated misunderstandings happen. I really don't blame Leonard or Penny. That was a time in the show when they both were muddling through their relationship / friendship with each other. Latter on in one episode Penny tells Sheldon how she once had a boyfriend and she never told him how she really felt and now he has a new girlfriend. Or that infamous night when she confided to Raj that she made a terrible mistake when she broke up with Leonard. Then there is Leonard where no matter what the situation is with Penny he always talks to much and ends up saying the wrong thing hurting the relationship. All of this is in the past. Those issues were their growing pains. They finally found each other again are now in a really good place. I am now just concentrating on the present and future for Lenny not dwelling in the past...or at least trying too. Still can't get over season 4's final. But I'm working on it. LOL!

Edited by SodidIwin?
  • Like 7

I think a big part of the career issue with Penny is also a Leonard issue. It has been pointed out frequently that Penny is lazy. She is a bad waitress, and doesn't put much effort into relationships. It is also suggested that until now, she didn't work hard at being an actress either. Last season she found out that if she put a little work into her relationship with Leonard, it got better. Essentially the theme of an entire episode. It didn't really take, but she had the experience. Now she is putting more work into her acting. I think the problem is that Penny gets too comfortable with Leonard, and has always assumed that he is hers. In her mind, there is no chance that Leonard will leave her. So, she doesn't work at it. She doesn't apparently know how to. Amy and Bernie do, as they go ballistic is their boyfriends are disrespected. The parking spot episode was all about that. penny needs to learn to defend Leonard just as the other girls defend their men.

• Like 2

So what would the responses be if the roles were reversed?  Penny was deeply in love with Leonard but he broke up with her because she told him how she felt but he didn't want to go there. .  The next night HE gets drunk, knocks on HER door and then has sex with her.   In the morning while leaving he tells her that he was drunk and it didn't mean anything.  SHE gets drunk that night and shows up at his apartment wanting to sleep with him again, and he just pushes her out the door and slams it in her face.

Would Leonard be the "good" guy and Penny the "bad" one?   Would everyone be understanding that Leonard had some bad experiences in the past and had commitment issues?   Would people criticize Penny for not understanding?  IMO there are issues with both characters but in THIS case, Penny is the one in the wrong.  Being drunk is not an excuse.  When you are drunk, you are still responsible for your actions.  (Think about that the next time you are tempted to get drunk).  She broke up with Leonard because he told her that he loved her, but she still come knocking on his door.  She is the one who was wrong IN THIS CASE.  There are cases where Leonard is in the wrong.   What makes their relationship a good one is how they persevered and worked through their mutual mistakes and transgressions. 

Edited by rickfromillinois
  • Like 2

Well we could look at Lenny two different ways.  We could say that Penny is so comfortable because she knows Leonard would never leave her so she

a.  doesn't have to work on it

or

b.  knows she can feel safe in it.

If we take the b answer, that would mean we are miles closer to her making that total commitment to Leonard because she wouldn't be afraid to totally commit.

I think that is where they are leading with this relationship....

• Like 1

I think a big part of the career issue with Penny is also a Leonard issue. It has been pointed out frequently that Penny is lazy. She is a bad waitress, and doesn't put much effort into relationships. It is also suggested that until now, she didn't work hard at being an actress either. Last season she found out that if she put a little work into her relationship with Leonard, it got better. Essentially the theme of an entire episode. It didn't really take, but she had the experience. Now she is putting more work into her acting. I think the problem is that Penny gets too comfortable with Leonard, and has always assumed that he is hers. In her mind, there is no chance that Leonard will leave her. So, she doesn't work at it. She doesn't apparently know how to. Amy and Bernie do, as they go ballistic is their boyfriends are disrespected. The parking spot episode was all about that. penny needs to learn to defend Leonard just as the other girls defend their men.

What instance has demanded she "defend Leonard"? The whole parking lot argument made everyone involved look like complete morons by going so ballistic, hence why it was funny. As for the laziness crap, she still worked a demanding job of waiting tables for ten years (couldn't have been that bad or she would have been fired) while going to as many auditions as she could, taking acting and community college classes, and maintaining a relationship and social life. Doesn't sound like a lazy person to me.   

• Like 1

For you and me probably it was pretty clear....but for Leonard it was not which was implied in the morning scene......  what ever reason it be......

and Penny clearly knew that.....

i never said Penny was wrong for coming to Leonard drunk wanting sex...... but when Leonard tries to do the same.....her shoving him was wrong as far as I am concerned......

showing a little concern and sympathy especially when she knew what exactly happened and what was happening should be pretty easy IMO........given the fact that she is supposed to "care so much about him".......

anyways for some you I guess  it does'nt matter as long as it is not Penny or Sheldon....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

What instance has demanded she "defend Leonard"? The whole parking lot argument made everyone involved look like complete morons by going so ballistic, hence why it was funny. As for the laziness crap, she still worked a demanding job of waiting tables for ten years (couldn't have been that bad or she would have been fired) while going to as many auditions as she could, taking acting and community college classes, and maintaining a relationship and social life. Doesn't sound like a lazy person to me.

I think the latest one was when he bought the table. When Sheldon wouldn't give in and sit there she gave up and let Sheldon "win". How many auditions has she gone on? How many classes has she taken? 5, 10, 500. Nobody really knows. All we can by is what we see. She seems to be now a struggling actress. Lazy? I don't know if you can give a yes/no answer based on what you've seen on the show. It's kind of like when Sheldon was trying to figure out how many guys Penny slept with. the only way it seems is if you wrote out a list. I don't think that's going to happen so there is always going to be a debate about all of this with no one really having the right answer.
  • Like 1

For you and me probably it was pretty clear....but for Leonard it was not which was implied in the morning scene......  what ever reason it be......

and Penny clearly knew that.....

i never said Penny was wrong for coming to Leonard drunk wanting sex...... but when Leonard tries to do the same.....her shoving him was wrong as far as I am concerned......

showing a little concern and sympathy especially when she knew what exactly happened and what was happening should be pretty easy IMO........given the fact that she is supposed to "care so much about him".......

anyways for some you I guess  it does'nt matter as long as it is not Penny or Sheldon....

the thing is that this really started back during the Plimpton episode. Penny caught on to him sleeping with Dr. Plimpton and asked Penny how she was doing with the breakup and she replied not as good as you. So it appeared that Leonard had moved on. Fast forward to the season 3 finale. Penny was drunk and they had sex. Leonard thought it meant that she wanted to get back together but Penny stated it was mistake. Leonard said you used me for sex and wanted to get even. If I recall his first choice was Leslie Winkle. She turned him down . Then he went over to Penny's and tried to do what she did do him. it seems to me she had three options. One she could of let him in and tried to sober him up. Two was to have sex with him. Three was to shut the door. It seems the first two options would have suggested wanting to get back together. The third option,which I agree seemed harsh, to me was the right option. Since he was that drunk he wouldn't remember and it wasn't like she threw him to the street. He lives across the hall. Nothing I recall was brought up again about since it was the finale.

Hehehehe, yeah not me.  Ask Daisy or Army Girl.   I've defended Penny and hit her up for problems she has, and I do the same for Leonard.

• Like 2

I agree that the parking lot episode was funny because they went over the top, and I wouldn't want Penny to do that (although she is perfectly capable as we've seen in "The Panty Pinata" episode). In the table episode, I wanted to see Leonard and Penny NOT back down to Sheldon. I don't care if Amy looked so sad. Consider, Amy fought the group to sit with Sheldon. Penny didn't. The sense one gets is that Penny doesn't have that sense of commitment to Leonard that excludes Sheldon, while my sense is that, when pushed, Leonard will side with Penny against Sheldon. Otherwise, he tends to give up having found that Sheldon cannot accept being wrong.

The issue of laziness is from Penny herself. She has on several occasions mentioned that effort into the relationship is a lot of work. The pivotal Halloween episode last season is one example. She didn't really know much about Leonard's work, although I doubt if she was that unclear. Still, she stated that her job in the relationship was letting Leonard make her happy. This is passive, and lazy. She states that she is bad at her job. The implication is that she is kept on because of her looks. She has mentioned that she gets by because of her looks. I agree that being a waitress is hard work, but not a job one has to necessarily put much commitment into. Maybe commitment and passion are the key. She worked hard at the CCF because it is laborious. She didn't work hard at being a good waitress, she worked hard because the job is physically difficult. It doesn't take a lot of commitment to lay asphalt, but it is terrifically hard work. 

In Penny's defense, I don't think she knows how to be in a committed relationship. She's basically been with meatheads who were just fine with her as long as she had sex with them. As pointed out by Raj in "The Romance Resonance", she only has the one arrow in her quiver. She gave little, because little was expected of her. Even Leonard is a problem in this regard, as he fell in love with her on first sight, and only expected her to accept him. This is actually another point in Penny's favor, as it was a huge leap for her to first be friends with, then girlfriend with someone like Leonard. She's had to basically work hard without knowing it simply to handle being in love with someone so different. I just don't think she sees it that way. Her love for Leonard essentially forced her to work at being his girlfriend. I don't think she is wild about that, but to her credit, she can't see any other option, as she must be with Leonard. 

What both she and Leonard need to do is continue to learn how to be in their relationship. She was very good in the table episode up until the end. Sheldon NEEDED to lose that one, and Penny waffled at the end. Leonard needs to learn to stand up for himself, even if alone. Leonard should not have moved from the table even if Penny did, since moving was wrong. 

The maintenance of the "Star Trek" triangle by the writers is basically the problem, except that one corner is clearly out of balance. I actually think the writers are losing grip on the Sheldon character, as he is so often OOC now. The others seem to be basically where they've been for a couple of years, with mild developments in Lenny. 

• Like 3

Everyone that keeps harping that Penny should have backed Leonard regarding the table at the end of that episode do realize that this is a sitcom don't you? A sitcom that has the group eating at the coffee table for seven years now. A table that they use showing the group eating at in the beggining of every episode for seven seasons now. They could have had a two part episode to give Penny the time to side with Leonard and it wouldn't have change a thing. The table was never, ever going to stay in that apartment.

:dancing:I agree with SRAM, Leonard since the beginning, went always to talk to Penny, if had a problem. She never thought of him any less for liking comic books, Star Strek conventions, etc.  while Priya tried to change Leonard, Priya was horrible, not sure what the writers were thinking about. So bottom line, Penny all the way.

Everyone that keeps harping that Penny should have backed Leonard regarding the table at the end of that episode do realize that this is a sitcom don't you? A sitcom that has the group eating at the coffee table for seven years now. A table that they use showing the group eating at in the beggining of every episode for seven seasons now. They could have had a two part episode to give Penny the time to side with Leonard and it wouldn't have change a thing. The table was never, ever going to stay in that apartment.

You are correct about the table. Penny taking Leonard's side would not have changed anything but some believe she should take his side because she was the one that encouraged him about the table.They are making a production over many episodes about Sheldon's supposed career crisis. I think they could of taken a couple moments showing her taking his side.
  • Like 2

And another thing... was it a good look to have Leonard as the outsider, in 7.20, when Penny and Sheldon were having their bonding session in their PJs? The meeting of the two was initially sweetened by the demonstration of Penny's off screen affection for Leonard. Then, Leonard appears after their D&M and is made to look like a third wheel. It just felt contrived - "lets have a Shenny moment then oops better add some L/P love upfront, and we need to finish with a laugh, but lets not pick on Sheldon because he and Penny have just had a serious bit that we can't undermine, so hmm, Leonard can take the hit because we already frontloaded with implied L/P love".

It also occurs to me that Penny cops remarkably unpleasant suggestions from Sheldon and seems to like him more - sort of perversely - and that those moments of badinage come at the expense of fun comedy between L/P.

Oh well. Onwards! Looking forward to seeing Emily squeezed around the coffee table sometime.

• Like 4