In Memoriam: Mike (walnutcowboy) has passed away

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

I can't wait to see it!

The thread is discussing Lisa Kudrow playing Penny's mom.  I don't remember her talking about what her mom looked like.  Did I miss an episode?

There have been a couple of comments made about her in passing. Sheldon implied that she was overweight when Penny ate the last dumpling, and Penny mentioned that her mother smoked pot when she was pregnant with her. 

He went away because he couldn't handle all the changes that were happening at one time.  He's not being a baby on purpose; his brain isn't wired to handle this.  My son is the exact same way and getting away from all the external stimuli that's causing the stress allows him to calm down, regroup and be able to vocalize what he wants.

As for Lenny - have they ever described what Penny's mom looks like?  I can't remember them doing it.

I'm not quite sure what all the changes are. As I read the episode, the only change that directly affects Sheldon, and it a big one to be sure, is that he will no longer live with Leonard. Apart from that single big change, everything else can stay the same. Lenny didn't say anything about taking the apartment, or indeed vocalize any decisions or serious speculations. Professionally, he is not being allowed to change his research area. That's something he wants to do on his own. Basically, Leonard and Penny's engagement was foreseen by Sheldon, so he should have thought that through. As fast as his brain works, it would have taken no time for him to figure out that they would want to be by themselves. It is expected and normal. The show has a model for this - Howard and Bernadette. All Lenny has to do is point to that situation. Howard had to move in fully with Bernie for their relationship to work.

Also, the show tends to alternate the over summer elapsed time. About half of the premieres are the next day, and half involve the passage of some time. Seasons 2, 5 and 6 started up hours or days after the prior season ended. the others has a three to four month time elapse. There was the Artic expedition, several months elapsing after Sheldon started dating Amy and Leonard going to the North Sea. The other seasons picked up with the second half of Leonard and Penny's first date, the aftermath of Penny and Raj sleeping together and Howard going to space. Howard was only in space three weeks or so, and they didn't being him home the fourth episode that fall. So next fall could start with Sheldon right back, having only been gone few days, or several months passing by. I vote for the former. It is more in keeping with Sheldon's previous behaviors that he will not tolerate or need a lengthy separation. There is no evidence that he can survive on his own.

The living situation that I think they would do is to have Lenny move into another two bedroom apartment in the building. Across the hall is too close for them, and too small. Leonard and Penny want to nest, and that means new digs. Even if Sheldon moved out, the old apartment wouldn't be a fresh start. Staying close by but in a new place makes more sense. Then move Amy or Stewart across the hall. They have the set from the CCF, so they can construct a new place over the summer, and Sheldon could return and find Amy in Leonard's old room.

Another likely possibility is that Sheldon can return quickly, and spend his time trying to delay Leonard's departure.

Of course, Lorre and Molaro have made it clear that they don't plan far out, so it is likely they have no clue what they will do next fall.

There have been a couple of comments made about her in passing. Sheldon implied that she was overweight when Penny ate the last dumpling, and Penny mentioned that her mother smoked pot when she was pregnant with her. 

Now I remember!  Yeah, Lisa Kudrow would be a great choice.  And I can easily see her giving it back to Christine Baranski BIG TIME!

Slightly off topic, I see that they do tours of the sets on weekends. Last weekend Kazzie (after hearing a rumor about the comic store being burned) went on the tour and confirmed it. Is there any way we can get members who live in L.A. do do this on a regular basis? I know it's off topic, just an idea for next season.

Amy attacked Leonard because she's upset and angry neither he nor Penny told her Sheldon had left.  She found out when he called to check in.  Between this and Penny telling Leonard at the train station this is what Sheldon needs this makes me think they have a feeling he's going to be back because he cares too much for Amy to let her go.

On a different note - what is your tag line from?  I love it!

I made it up years ago. I am a horrible speller. Viva spellcheck!

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 2

I believe one of the reasons to have Sheldon go away for the summer is to allow Leonard to put in a full claim on the apartment. As far as they know, Sheldon is gone for good and no destination was given.

What will be interesting is to see what becomes of Penny's apartment. Will Leonard keep paying rent on it just in case Sheldon comes back? Will this force the apartment switch that sent Sheldon into a tizzy? Will Penny's (old) apartment be vacant when Sheldon returns?

I believe that it was Sheldon who actually had his name on the lease, not Leonard.   It is Sheldon's apartment and he is renting the spare room to Leonard.   Frankly I think that whole argument is moot.  For one reason or another IMO they are going to have all 3 of them sharing a single apartment.   It may be to save money, something may happen to Penny's apartment, or the may feel sorry for Sheldon living alone.   Before he met Leonard it might not be a problem, but after years of living with Leonard I don't think that Sheldon would adapt well to living alone and he is not ready to have Amy move in with him. 

The most important reason for having all 3 of them living together is because of all comedic opportunities that the living arrangements would provide.

Hello Everyone, I am new here. I have been reading post for the last day.

They could do like on Friends where Chandler move in across the hall with Monica. Although that is kind of different there. However with all the times Leonard and Penny have broken up who to say that they won't break off the Engagement over the Summer?

Hello Everyone, I am new here. I have been reading post for the last day.

They could do like on Friends where Chandler move in across the hall with Monica. Although that is kind of different there. However with all the times Leonard and Penny have broken up who to say that they won't break off the Engagement over the Summer?

Welcome to you and hope you enjoy reading and posting here.

As we all know Leonard and Penny will NOT be breaking up ever again (hear me Molaro/Lorre/Prady?) so the only thing Lenny's have to worry about over the summer is the flavor of the icing on the wedding cake!

• Like 3

I believe that it was Sheldon who actually had his name on the lease, not Leonard.   It is Sheldon's apartment and he is renting the spare room to Leonard.   Frankly I think that whole argument is moot.  For one reason or another IMO they are going to have all 3 of them sharing a single apartment.   It may be to save money, something may happen to Penny's apartment, or the may feel sorry for Sheldon living alone.   Before he met Leonard it might not be a problem, but after years of living with Leonard I don't think that Sheldon would adapt well to living alone and he is not ready to have Amy move in with him. 

The most important reason for having all 3 of them living together is because of all comedic opportunities that the living arrangements would provide.

I think based on the finale and some of the statements made by Sheldon about Leonard can't leave, that is a greater possibility. However, the writers are going to have all summer to think about this, so anything can happen in season 8. I just hope they don't do what they did last season with Leonard's trip, just let it fade away.

I have to agree the three will live together until the wedding. However, I think Amy will move into Penny's apartment. One step closer to eventually moving in with Sheldon.

If Sheldon is actually gone for months it might be quite likely by September she would have de facto moved in without it actually being a conscience decision.

She could also slowly be doing some redecoration. Sheldon moving into her old apartment could well be the path of least resistance.

The finale really reenforced the whole concept of Leonard and Penny being his adult guardians. He very much acted the child when he found out he was loosing his parental friends and did the thing most children do, he ran away. Leonard and Penny acted the part too, they worried about him, went to check on him and finally decided to let their little bird leave the nest. The glaring association of Lenny being parents and Sheldon their child was extremely strong in this episode.

• Like 2

I too think that in the next episode  Sheldon probably will come back and will start living with both Leonard and Penny as they feel sorry for him...

may the title will be The Status Cuo (Opposite of Combustion).... :p

The finale really reenforced the whole concept of Leonard and Penny being his adult guardians. He very much acted the child when he found out he was loosing his parental friends and did the thing most children do, he ran away. Leonard and Penny acted the part too, they worried about him, went to check on him and finally decided to let their little bird leave the nest. The glaring association of Lenny being parents and Sheldon their child was extremely strong in this episode.

I think the writers are going to let that go in S8. I thought it was funny for a while but if he is going to be a perpetual child then he will never be worthy of Amy. Leonard has already said he and Penny will live alone (at least eventually).

• Like 2

I think the writers are going to let that go in S8. I thought it was funny for a while but if he is going to be a perpetual child then he will never be worthy of Amy. Leonard has already said he and Penny will live alone (at least eventually).

I agree they should make him worthy, but I'm sceptical based on history. I think he'll get one or two redeeming acts, but he won't change much otherwise and they will keep him close to L/P because that's this show's "thing". I'm not sue he'd be as effective an antagonist if he was "outside the tent", so to speak.

Maybe they get a new villain, like an evil Siebert or something.

It would be like looking in a mirror...

I was aiming for the cliche and you escalated :), but now when I think of you I'll only think of Phoebe. If it helps, I'm the same age and gender as George Clooney, but there are differences LOL.

Maybe they can get George for Leonard's dad? Or Noah Wyle. Surely dad will turn up for the wedding. I guess based on her brothers release date it's going to be S9.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 2

There is no if on whether or not he will be a perpetual child. That is very much established. 

I can just the premiere ending with one of them declaring: "You, me, and Sheldon makes three." Again, not trying to upset anyone, I just know look at how incredibly parental they were in the last episode and believe that pattern will continue. 

• Like 1

There is no if on whether or not he will be a perpetual child. That is very much established. 

I can just the premiere ending with one of them declaring: "You, me, and Sheldon makes three." Again, not trying to upset anyone, I just know look at how incredibly parental they were in the last episode and believe that pattern will continue.

Unless, as I keep insisting and everyone ignores, he treks to the Himalayas and fall in with an ancient society that teaches him how to be a useful person and he starts keeping the streets of Pasadena safe at night. If that doesn't happen then yes, perpetual child right up to the last two episodes, where everything will be made right and he'll become worthy at the last minute. So for most of the rest it's likely L/P will have him the middle of the bed, metaphorically..

I was aiming for the cliche and you escalated :), but now when I think of you I'll only think of Phoebe. If it helps, I'm the same age and gender as George Clooney, but there are differences LOL.

I am also just about the same age as Lisa Kudrow and happily the same gender as she AND Phoebe.  

George huh?  I will only think of you as him then.  How was it wearing the bat suit?

We'll if the writers can get Penny past all of her "commitment issues" (granted she hasn't said I do except to Zack) I think they will find a way to get Sheldon past puberty.
  • Like 1

I don't think they would ever use George, he would be too hard to get if they wanted him to appear again.  Look how hard it is already to get the actors that play their established parents now.  Lisa they could probably get because she is a little more available, but I don't think George is.  I would like Penny's brother to be one of the guys from 'Its always sunny in Philadelphia', her sister needs to look close to her.  I think it would be funny if they held a contest to find someone who looks like Kaley to be her sister, it would be a great PR stunt too.