Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Disgusted

I honestly don't think they will have them living together for very long when Sheldon gets back. Everybody seems to be getting sick and tired of the "man child" of Lenny and neither Lenny or Shamy can really move forward until Sheldon "Mans the f**k up". It's just a matter of who gets which apartment. It give the writers a chance to decide that and "re-decorate."

• Like 1

The writers have three more seasons to have Lenny as a married couple, hopefully a baby for them.  I said this before, but the hilarious comedic situations that can arise having Sheldon next door and Lenny with a baby.  Imagine Sheldon trying to deal with a Lenny baby!  It is quite plausible that the writers and producers might think about a Leonard & Penny tv show, a la Frasier style off Cheers.  Johnny and Kaley have always played Leonard and Penny to perfection, so entirely plausible that Lenny could become a spinoff  of TBBT, it is possible. On the last episode, when Bernadette told Leonard that Penny took money from his wallet to buy him a watch, Leonard did not react to it at all, it shows the level of absolut trust he has for Penny.  It was weird to see comments accusing Penny of being a thief.  Perhaps the physic, in an odd way, made Sheldon realize that he should accept Amy completely in his life, and look at Lenny as his brother and sister not as surrogate parents.  Howard and Bernadette, curious to see what the writers will  have for them for the next three seasons.

• Like 2

As I have said in the past, they should just have Penny and Sheldon switch. There's not enough room in Penny's Apt for the two of them, and this would give Sheldon a chance to be on his own, without the pressure of Amy trying to move in. Kind of like living in his parent's (Lenny's) basement. It would be the easiest, for several reasons. First, no new sets (saves money). Second minimal disruption to Sheldon's life after he returns (just has to move his stuff across the hall, no new room mate, same neighborhood etc.). Third, if Lenny moves across the hall they'll still have their group meetings in the bigger Apt. and if Lenny moves somewhere else, the group will meet there and before long Shamy will drift away from them (OK a mixed blessing, less Sheldon could be good). As it is the group has formed up into three sub groups, and only gets together at L/S's Apt.

• Like 2

Part of me wonders if, with Sheldon AWOL, Leonard and Penny will move into 4A (as it would otherwise be empty, and who in their right would pick the smaller apartment if given the choice?) and someone else (Amy?) will move into 4B during the summer. They'd be well within their right to do so, considering that they don't know if or when he is coming back. That would make Sheldon moving in to the spare bedroom the obvious answer. 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 1

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are right. The writers have all summer to come up with a plausible reason to have the three of them in 4A. I think they set this up as a problem to solve - how to move Penny into 4A as Leonard's fiancée (I just love writing that!) that makes sense.

I am almost certain that we are going to get what Kaley believes will happen; "Three's Company" in Apartment 4A. Malaro, won't confirm this of course and most likely they have not decided but the finale setups up all sorts of options with Sheldon running away to parts unknown.

- With Sheldon away for an "indefinite" period of time, Leonard and Penny can settle into 4A as if it is their home. This assumes that Sheldon will not be sending back rent checks from where ever he is. Lenny lets go of 4B since it is only a money drain. Sheldon, "magically" returns at the start of season 8 and moves back in with his "parents".

- Leonard pays for 4A and 4B awaiting the return of Sheldon. Penny moves back to 4B and Sheldon has his status quo.

- Leonard pays for 4A and 4B and Sheldon is told to go to 4B. He won't, of course. His spot [0,0,0,0] is in 4A and he did not forget that.

- Leonard pays for 4A and 4B and Sheldon is told to go to 4B. He miraculously agrees. He gained compassion for his most valued friends while away.

- Sheldon returns and Leonard and Penny have let 4B to Amy. Now we have a "Four's Company across the Hall" situation. Sheldon has Amy there at a short distance.

- Leonard and Penny patiently await Sheldon's return to live together with him for a year until their wedding to prepare him for the angst of separation from Leonard.

There are several baselines that the writers have to decide:

- Penny has no money to pay for 4B. Would Leonard pay the rent on that apartment when Penny will be living with him and there was no guarantee on when Sheldon would return?

- Are they willing to give up the portion of the set that is 4B if all three main characters are living in another section?

- Are they committed to moving Leonard and Penny to someplace new after the wedding? If they are they will need a season to have the characters (and the viewers)  adjust to this future.

- The meeting place for the group is where ever Leonard is, not Sheldon. That got established in season 4. So to include Sheldon, who does not drive, they will need time to figure out how to get them all together if the new spot is not 4A. 4B is too small.

Having Sheldon run away from home in the finale gives the writers great flexibility in the "housing" option for the future. They have all summer to decide what they want to do, but in reality they can practically pick from only a few.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 1

As I have said in the past, they should just have Penny and Sheldon switch. There's not enough room in Penny's Apt for the two of them, and this would give Sheldon a chance to be on his own, without the pressure of Amy trying to move in. Kind of like living in his parent's (Lenny's) basement. It would be the easiest, for several reasons. First, no new sets (saves money). Second minimal disruption to Sheldon's life after he returns (just has to move his stuff across the hall, no new room mate, same neighborhood etc.). Third, if Lenny moves across the hall they'll still have their group meetings in the bigger Apt. and if Lenny moves somewhere else, the group will meet there and before long Shamy will drift away from them (OK a mixed blessing, less Sheldon could be good). As it is the group has formed up into three sub groups, and only gets together at L/S's Apt.

I think this would be the funniest. With Lenny in 4A and Sheldon in 4B, you still maintain the group, just switching people around. They did this to great effect with "Friends" when Monica and Chandler got serious. As Sheldon has no real boundaries that he won't cross when it suits him, he would be over there all the time (his spot will still be there, but he did find one in Penny's apartment in the first season finale). The Sheldon as man-child has gotten old, and they are actually moving away from it with the past few Shamy focused episodes. 

Keeping the core three together on the 4th floor is the best way to maintain the dynamic without resorting to a lot of convoluted arrangements. 

• Like 1

Although it would make the most sense for Sheldon and Penny to switch, I just don't think it will happen.  We already know from a previous episode that Sheldon believes that they should all just live together, since he was in the apartment well before Leonard moved in I imagine that the lease was in his name, and considering how much he dislikes change, I imagine that he will not want to move.

I think that the most important reason that Sheldon won't move out is because the writers believe that there will be more comedic opportunities if all 2 of them share the same apartment.  As awkward as this would seem for Penny and Leonard, in some aspects they view Sheldon as a child that they are responsible for.  Also, it may be a long time before penny and Sheldon actually get married assuming that they do. 

I surmise it will be Three's Company in 4A but with 4B for Sheldon's bat-cave, after he returns from Tibet, fully trained. The Pasadena streets will be safer once Sheldon suits up and starts fighting crime. Apparently Penny will be his first take-down, now she's a hardened crim. (Some of this might be fanciful...) :)

• Like 1

heheheh Freudian slip Rick?

No, just being realistic.  Hopefully it won't happen but I have seen some shows try to keep on going a few seasons longer then they should (not seeing that now) and I could see if Kaley left the show for a movie offer they might try to keep it going.   I don't control the writers so I can guarantee that they will in fact get married. 

No, just being realistic.  Hopefully it won't happen but I have seen some shows try to keep on going a few seasons longer then they should (not seeing that now) and I could see if Kaley left the show for a movie offer they might try to keep it going.   I don't control the writers so I can guarantee that they will in fact get married.

Rick, read the post I quoted again, Penny and Sheldon?

• Like 2

I think Leonard will move into Penny's apartment, for them both it could become comfortable, but I m not sure if there would be enough room on Penny's closet for Leonard's Star Trek costumes, Apollo's flight viper suit;  and possibility of Amy moving in with Sheldon would make sense, she would gladly take care of Sheldon.

Crap!  I can't believe I did that.  Just for the record, I am one of those who think the idea of Sheldon and Penny getting together is....well, bat crap crazy!   Of course I meant Leonard and Penny.

LOL, I know Rick, I know. That's why I found it so humorous and asked about the Freudian Slip.

• Like 1

It will be an interesting battle of wills, particularly if Sheldon is actually gone for more than a day or two. As they seem to have both long and short elapsed show times, they could go either way. Sheldon could be gone for months, or for minutes. If the former, then Lenny will settle into 4A and he'll have a battle forcing his way in. If Lenny were smart, they would just move him into 4B. IMHO, this would be the most fun.

However, the most likely thing is that Sheldon won't last outside in the real world. There is no evidence of this in the past, so having Sheldon return almost immediately is the most likely scenario. In which case, there won't be time for anyone to do anything drastic. Recall at the end of the second season, one of the major motivations for Sheldon recruiting the guys to go with him to the North Pole was that he was concerned that they would touch his stuff. Leaving for more than a few hours would drive him crazy. Of the three times he's left, twice have been to Texas and his old home. Once he went to Bozeman, MT, and had his belongings stolen withing minutes. He won't stay away, so the group won't have time to process his absence. Unless, of course, Penny goes into major nesting mode, and she could have him out of 4A and into 4B in a nanosecond. When Penny decides to do something, it happens, and the group will help. 

• Like 2

It will be an interesting battle of wills, particularly if Sheldon is actually gone for more than a day or two. As they seem to have both long and short elapsed show times, they could go either way. Sheldon could be gone for months, or for minutes. If the former, then Lenny will settle into 4A and he'll have a battle forcing his way in. If Lenny were smart, they would just move him into 4B. IMHO, this would be the most fun.

However, the most likely thing is that Sheldon won't last outside in the real world. There is no evidence of this in the past, so having Sheldon return almost immediately is the most likely scenario. In which case, there won't be time for anyone to do anything drastic. Recall at the end of the second season, one of the major motivations for Sheldon recruiting the guys to go with him to the North Pole was that he was concerned that they would touch his stuff. Leaving for more than a few hours would drive him crazy. Of the three times he's left, twice have been to Texas and his old home. Once he went to Bozeman, MT, and had his belongings stolen withing minutes. He won't stay away, so the group won't have time to process his absence. Unless, of course, Penny goes into major nesting mode, and she could have him out of 4A and into 4B in a nanosecond. When Penny decides to do something, it happens, and the group will help. 

Oh, I think he went to Texas, probably to see his mother. If we're lucky Laurie isn't available and he went to see his Me-Maw instead. It could take a while, and it would be a good excuse to introduce her into the show. She might even insist that Sheldon take the smaller Apt., rather than have two people live in Penny's place. What's the other choice... He went to England to see Stephen Hawking for help with deciding his new field of study.  Turning the summer into the buddy comedy 'Wheels and Sheldonoscophy'?

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 2

Oh, I think he went to Texas, probably to see his mother. If we're lucky Laurie isn't available and he went to see his Me-Maw instead. It could take a while, and it would be a good excuse to introduce her into the show. She might even insist that Sheldon take the smaller Apt., rather than have two people live in Penny's place. What's the other choice... He went to England to see Stephen Hawking for help with deciding his new field of study.  Turning the summer into the buddy comedy 'Wheels and Sheldonoscophy'?

As I wrote the last part of the above I could almost see Sheldon going to Cambridge and expecting Hawking to help him decide on a new field of study. It's just the sort of thing Sheldon would do.

• Like 2

As I wrote the last part of the above I could almost see Sheldon going to Cambridge and expecting Hawking to help him decide on a new field of study. It's just the sort of thing Sheldon would do.

I'm one for Sheldon going to Texas. Anywhere else would be OOC. I almost pointed out that enjoying kissing Amy was OOC, but as he never tried it before, how would that fit in his character?

It will be interesting to see how Penny reacts to being engaged. She could get into nesting, or not flinch and keep on they way they have been. As she has never been engaged before, it will be new territory. After her analysis of Dr. Stephanie stealth moving in, I'm surprised that we haven't got a good look at Leonard's room to see her territory marking going on.

• Like 4

I'm one for Sheldon going to Texas. Anywhere else would be OOC. I almost pointed out that enjoying kissing Amy was OOC, but as he never tried it before, how would that fit in his character?

It will be interesting to see how Penny reacts to being engaged. She could get into nesting, or not flinch and keep on they way they have been. As she has never been engaged before, it will be new territory. After her analysis of Dr. Stephanie stealth moving in, I'm surprised that we haven't got a good look at Leonard's room to see her territory marking going on.

Please god I hope she gets rid of all those stuffed animals.

• Like 4

I think Leonard will move into Penny's apartment, for them both it could become comfortable, but I m not sure if there would be enough room on Penny's closet for Leonard's Star Trek costumes, Apollo's flight viper suit;  and possibility of Amy moving in with Sheldon would make sense, she would gladly take care of Sheldon.

There wouldn't be room, which is why I think Leonard and Penny should take advantage of Sheldon being AWOL by moving into the larger apartment (they have no idea if/when he is returning, and it's as much Leonard's as it is Sheldon's). The thought of them ramming all of Leonard's paraphernalia into her apartment is enough to make my claustrophobic self cringe.  

Yes, Amy would gladly take care of Sheldon, but it's been made very clear that he does not want to live with her. 

• Like 1

Penny moving in with Leonard while Sheldon is away, makes sense, her staying there after he comes back does sort of seem real, since like everyone has said, she could start to nest.  Her money situation could help push it and if her and Leonard decide they want to save for a place of their own, after getting married, it also makes sense to move into 4A. Amy moving to 4B sort of gets her more prepared to move in with Sheldon later too, keeps girls night at Penny's, now Amy's apartment, and keeps the whole forth floor being theirs thing going.  I can see a whole episode on Penny moving some of her stuff into the living room and another concerning the roommate agreement, there is a lot of comedy to be had with her living with Leonard.  Also Lorre would probably love it, because the pilot had Katie living with the guys.

• Like 1

IDK, Leonard seemed to make it clear that he and Penny were going to live without Sheldon.  Once Sheldon is back, I can see L/P convince Sheldon that if Leonard moves in with Penny, then Amy could put pressure on him to move into Leonard's room.  But, if Sheldon moves into 4B, then there isn't an empty room for Amy to move into.  This leaves the three on the fourth floor, Penny and Leonard living together, and I can't see Sheldon not coming over when ever he wanted.  It also keeps the main sets intact.  

• Like 6

IDK, Leonard seemed to make it clear that he and Penny were going to live without Sheldon.  Once Sheldon is back, I can see L/P convince Sheldon that if Leonard moves in with Penny, then Amy could put pressure on him to move into Leonard's room.  But, if Sheldon moves into 4B, then there isn't an empty room for Amy to move into.  This leaves the three on the fourth floor, Penny and Leonard living together, and I can't see Sheldon not coming over when ever he wanted.  It also keeps the main sets intact.  

Seems to me I said much the same a few times.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

They can always use the spare room for a good sized train layout. Even HO. But I do hope for Leonard and Penny's sake that they stake out their space. It's possible though that absolute independence from Sheldon will be deferred until they marry. Or until Sheldon marries, which takes it to the bitter end. I can imagine Sheldon living like a boarder with them, after the honeymoon.