The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Two things, I loved Priya. She allowed us to get an insight into Penny's thinking about Leonard. We didn't have that up until her. Second, I wouldn't go as far as calling her a putz. They do have fake weddings in Vegas. From her reaction, if she had known it was actually a real wedding, I don't see her going through with it, even drunk. I can see an alcohol induced misunderstanding of what exactly was going on.

I liked Priya too. I liked Leonard having someone smart and beautiful at the time because he had been really hurt when Penny dumped him, plus Priya did improve him some. Priya was good for Penny too, it made her appreciate Leonard more.

Concerning the ring, I don't remember Leonard seriously saying anything about engagement or marriage with Priya except when he talked to Penny about Alice and that really didn't sound serious. Remember Bernadette asked Priya about her and Leonard getting engaged and she was quick to say no. I think he had the ring from when he asked her to marry him during sex, and put it in his wallet after her drunken proposal, because he was not going to tell her no again because of the regret he told her about last night.

• Like 2

I agree with everything you say but why would Penny be with such an idiot as Zack?

If you go back to 3.23 (Lunar Excitation), she ditches Zack because of how stupid he is. In Justice League, she states she only got back together with him so she wouldn't be alone on New Years. She was in desperation mode and if she could do that on New Years, she could certainly go with him to Vegas, on Thanksgiving, six weeks earlier, so she wasn't alone on Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

If you go back to 3.23 (Lunar Excitation), she ditches Zack because of how stupid he is. In Justice League, she states she only got back together with him so she wouldn't be alone on New Years. She was in desperation mode and if she could do that on New Years, she could certainly go with him to Vegas, on Thanksgiving, six weeks earlier, so she wasn't alone on Thanksgiving.

I think that's one thing that totally unrealistic about the show. I think she could find a guy with no trouble.

I think that's one thing that totally unrealistic about the show. I think she could find a guy with no trouble.

She did. A rather unintelligent hunk, much like she used to date. Kurt was similar, just not quite as dumb.

• Like 1

He is a prudent guy, and a hell of an optimist, and very likely classy enough not to recycle something this significant. I'd also think he is not cheap regarding Penny, or anything else for that matter, so it seems more likely to me that he bought the ring once he had renewed cause for hopefulness, as Tensor suggests. I don't think they will ever mention Priya again as we have not heard of her for over two years, so current viewers would be confused if her name came up.

I think the ring in question was bought for Penny and Leonard just couldn't bring himself to sell it.

He's always had his heart set on Penny, even when he was with Priya, Penny was bubbling under the surface in Leonard's heart/mind.

If the writers want to be dumb, then they might go with it "Oh err I bought it for Pryia".

Two things, I loved Priya. She allowed us to get an insight into Penny's thinking about Leonard. We didn't have that up until her. Second, I wouldn't go as far as calling her a putz. They do have fake weddings in Vegas. From her reaction, if she had known it was actually a real wedding, I don't see her going through with it, even drunk. I can see an alcohol induced misunderstanding of what exactly was going on.

Priya was necessary for both Leonard and Penny. Though it was more important for Penny in that Pyria made her realise what an idiot she'd been

to dump Leonard in the first place. She did a lot of growing up during that era of the show, with some mistakes made along the way.

I did not mind Priya so much, the character was pitched perfectly. Designed to annoy Lenny fans and to challenge Penny to start to overcome her insecurities.

The Engagement is the culmination of Penny's growth up until now. Engagement will bring a whole set of new challenges for her and Leonard.

Not least the question of moving in together and dealing with Sheldon's reaction to the change in the group dynamics.

As for Marrying Zack in Vegas ? I think that was just Penny being Penny and Leonard reacted as he always does. Only

this time it did not precipitate a break up between the two. It was quite clever in that you sit there thinking "here go again, Lenny have hopped

on the train to splitsville again" when in fact Penny did the opposite.

As for Penny and Leonard getting married, I kind of always thought they'd have so much pressure piled on them by their friends and

families (Leonard's mother especially) in various ways, that they'd elope to Vegas to escape it all with Sheldon and co in hot pursuit.

Probably won't happen that way, but if they want to tease the wedding that's how I'd do it. I can also see Bernadette and Amy being in

a fight to be Penny's maid of honour.

• Like 1

I think the thing about Zack was that he was a nice guy and safe, she knew their dating wasn't going anywhere because with her situation with Leonard, she didn't want a relationship. The underlying theme was that Penny didn't really want someone else, if she got too lonely there was Zack with no strings attached, like on New Years, but otherwise she wasn't looking for someone. She summed it up when she told Raj she screwed up with Leonard, she still wanted Leonard, not really any of those guys she could easily get at some bar.

Edited by SRAM
  • Like 8

When bickering or banter is playful and light hearted , it is always enjoyable... just like in the recent episode...

• Like 4

And Zack would not threaten Leonard or humilate him like Kurt did.

I think that was done on purpose to show Penny now only wanted to be around nice guys.  Even though Zack was not as smart as them, the guys still took to him and accepted him.  Also you are right he never threatened them.

• Like 5

There's only one thing I want to see with a Lenny wedding, NO SHELDON! If he's there he'll find a way to make it about him or find some way to 'ruin' it for the others and I'm sick of that. I say go to Vegas, get married and then return to Pasadena for a decoy wedding Sheldon can screw-up, knowing that it's too late.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 4

There's only one thing I want to see with a Lenny wedding, NO SHELDON! If he's there he'll find a way to make it about him or find some way to 'ruin' it for the others and I'm sick of that. I say go to Vegas, get married and then return to Pasadena for a decoy wedding Sheldon can screw-up, knowing that it's too late.

http://youtu.be/LejMbZjZUvk

Idk why.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 1

I think Sheldon being a nuisance at the wedding would be funny in that it would ring true, as annoying relatives/guests are something I have encountered at every wedding I've been a part of. I have five siblings and a Beverleyesque grandmother (she's even from New Jersey), so they'll be a part of my wedding for sure. You just have to laugh about it! 

• Like 1

I think Sheldon being a nuisance at the wedding would be funny in that it would ring true, as annoying relatives/guests are something I have encountered at every wedding I've been a part of. I have five siblings and a Beverleyesque grandmother (she's even from New Jersey), so they'll be a part of my wedding for sure. You just have to laugh about it!

OK, who are you and what did you do with Daisy?

• Like 6

I think that was done on purpose to show Penny now only wanted to be around nice guys.  Even though Zack was not as smart as them, the guys still took to him and accepted him.  Also you are right he never threatened them.

Penny was quietly transformed by dating Leonard in the 3rd season. Not only did she not want stupid guys, she wanted nice guys who respected her. All the guys Penny is shown to have made some emotional investment in, treated her like a disposal hand towel (Mike in the 1st season, David Underhill in season 2, the unnamed ex who proposed to her former friend on Valentine's day in season 6 and of course, Kurt). None of these men thought Penny was special, she was just hot sex to be used and discarded. Penny got into the role of user and dumb Zack gladly let him self be used and Penny got a playmate who she had no investment in.

Leonard happened. She did not have sex with him until she knew him for two years. And he still put her up on a pedestal. When they got back together in season 5, no sex for 4 months and he wanted to marry her! And this guy had attractive professional women who wanted him. Other men find her a loser who has nothing to offer but a "good time".  To the best of our knowledge, Leonard is the only man who has wanted Penny for his wife, despite her beauty.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 9

OK, who are you and what did you do with Daisy?

I don't want him doing the ceremony in Klingon, but some mild antics could be comical. There are practically a sitcom trope. I don't mind Sheldon the way a lot of the poster on the site do. 

I understand why the wedding would be pleasanter without Sheldon, but unless someone gets slapped, throws up, gets drunk or says the most horrible things at the most inappropriate moments, then it's not a real wedding, so having Sheldon there guarantees success and could give those relatives who don't know Leonard and Penny together (because how would they?) and might scoff at the apparent mismatch, the message that, if the two of them have endured living with Sheldon and survived, they have a really good foundation for coping with the other disasters life will throw at them and it will make the wedding much more memorable for the surviving guests because it will be distinguished from any other such event they might have gone to and distract them from what might be rubber chicken from the caterers.

It will be interesting to see how much respect TPTB accord the wedding. I guess it will be fine and glorious in whatever scale when it happens and not as egregiously affected by Sheldon as the s6 farewell.

I don't want him doing the ceremony in Klingon, but some mild antics could be comical. There are practically a sitcom trope. I don't mind Sheldon the way a lot of the poster on the site do. 

I know, it was just you were so relaxed about it.  BTW, my new avatar throws me sometimes, thinking I'm looking at a post of yours.

Sheldon doesn't do mild. Just look at the airport scene, then consider what he'd do at Lenny's wedding.

After having a year, and most of this season to reconsider the airport scene, it makes and interesting sort of sense. In that scene, Sheldon is doing his best to make it about him and his neroses, but Lenny pulled a cocoon about themselves and didn't even hear him. That theme has continued this year, and can be regarded as why Sheldon has been so strident, more over the top and even cruel. He is not part of Lenny, will not be part of Lenny, and can't handle it. He can no longer control Leonard, and the best he can hope for is that they will look after him from time to time. He is lucky, although he doesn't see it yet, is that he has his future with him already - Amy. What frightens him about her is that he cannot control her, she controls him, but not in a pathological way. I think his biggest fear in his relationship with Amy is that he is losing control, and likes it. He's seen what happen with Leonard and Penny, and both fears and desires it.

Leonard and Penny have learned to pull a cone of silence around themselves, particularly around Sheldon, and get lost in each other. We're also seeing wonderful plot arcs like in the most recent episode where they were by themselves, they were funny, connected and delightful. One of the outstanding moments of the season and indeed the Lenny relationship. Making a game out of proposals? Who would believe it, and it was funny. Penny and Leonard talking about death, and regrets? Leonard being able to support Penny emotionally at her first funeral? This is a perfect setup to next week, as I think this episode makes it clear now why they work as a couple.

Beautifully said.

Since the second episode of the season, Lenny are making an emotional space for themselves that is, at least on occasion, Sheldon free. Sheldon has been noticing this and in several episodes has thrown tantrums to get attention and the Lenny spotlight back on him. Penny wants Amy to be the one who changes the emotional diapers for the "Big Baby" but Sheldon wants the status quo, Lenny as parents.

I love the showing of Lenny as funny without Sheldon. There is still so much to explore and it's time to take Sheldon away as the laugh catalyst for them all the time. One or both of them suffering at the whims of Sheldon has been the way to get the easy laugh. I for one would like to see less of that as they start the marriage journey together.

Edited by BangerMain
  • Like 4

Since obviously Leonard will be having Sheldon as the best man he will be front and center. I wonder what he will plan for his little buddy's Bachelor Party. It can't be the same as Howard's. My guess is it will probably be on a train.

• Like 2

I don't know...I think the Klingon would make us cry...

• Like 4

After having a year, and most of this season to reconsider the airport scene, it makes and interesting sort of sense. In that scene, Sheldon is doing his best to make it about him and his neroses, but Lenny pulled a cocoon about themselves and didn't even hear him. That theme has continued this year, and can be regarded as why Sheldon has been so strident, more over the top and even cruel. He is not part of Lenny, will not be part of Lenny, and can't handle it. He can no longer control Leonard, and the best he can hope for is that they will look after him from time to time. He is lucky, although he doesn't see it yet, is that he has his future with him already - Amy. What frightens him about her is that he cannot control her, she controls him, but not in a pathological way. I think his biggest fear in his relationship with Amy is that he is losing control, and likes it. He's seen what happen with Leonard and Penny, and both fears and desires it.

Leonard and Penny have learned to pull a cone of silence around themselves, particularly around Sheldon, and get lost in each other. We're also seeing wonderful plot arcs like in the most recent episode where they were by themselves, they were funny, connected and delightful. One of the outstanding moments of the season and indeed the Lenny relationship. Making a game out of proposals? Who would believe it, and it was funny. Penny and Leonard talking about death, and regrets? Leonard being able to support Penny emotionally at her first funeral? This is a perfect setup to next week, as I think this episode makes it clear now why they work as a couple.

So many excellent points you make here! A cocoon? A cone of silence? Yes! This will all go into the construction of their "home", wherever it physically may be!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 1

phryia , worst thing ever that happen to leonard, pathetic.  Lenny all the way :dancer:

Priya may have been the worst thing to happen to Leonard (combining an emotionally needy person with someone who has no scruples and no compunction against using people will never turn out well), but she was arguably the best thing to happen to Penny, as she forced Penny to confront her feelings for him and realize what a mistake it was to break up with him. So, in a sense, we can thank Priya for bring Lenny back together. Doesn't mean I ever want to see the unethical bitch again. ;)

• Like 5