The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Not sure about that, SRAM. From what we've heard about Penny's family, they really don't sound too traditional and would likely only embarrass her. I doubt she'll be rushing to introduce them. Her and Leonard both seem to have very distant relationships with their families, not estranged but certainly not tight-knit. So they'll be around for the wedding, but not much more. 

• Like 1

Not sure about that, SRAM. From what we've heard about Penny's family, they really don't sound too traditional and would likely only embarrass her. I doubt she'll be rushing to introduce them. Her and Leonard both seem to have very distant relationships with their families, not estranged but certainly not tight-knit. So they'll be around for the wedding, but not much more. 

I agree with DaisyJane in that we've only seen one episode with Penny's father, and we know Leonard's mother all too well. We actually know more about Raj's family, having met his parents and his sister. Introducing a bunch of new characters, along with the likely stunt casting, would be a bit distracting. I think that they do quite well with the characters and actors they have, and trying to find the right actors to play the various family members would be a mess. I'd rather they spend time writing funny episodes for the characters we already know and love, rather than trying to work a special guest in. They know how to write these characters well. It can work, but only for someone that will just fly in for an episode or two. It works pretty well in Two and a Half Men, but they sort of have stock parts for the ones they bring in. Do we really want to see Lindsay Lohan or Miley Cyrus? Stephen Hawking is much more appropriate.

Howard and Bernadette's wedding worked, in that they only had one extra character than the core. In Two and Half Men, they have a smaller cast. I'd rather have Penny freak out about a big wedding, and have her and Leonard sneak away to Reno or Las Vegas. You could have the rest of the group trying to find them, and showing up at the last minute with Sheldon having stuck a GPS transmitter in Leonard's car.

I agree with DaisyJane in that we've only seen one episode with Penny's father, and we know Leonard's mother all too well. We actually know more about Raj's family, having met his parents and his sister. Introducing a bunch of new characters, along with the likely stunt casting, would be a bit distracting. I think that they do quite well with the characters and actors they have, and trying to find the right actors to play the various family members would be a mess. I'd rather they spend time writing funny episodes for the characters we already know and love, rather than trying to work a special guest in. They know how to write these characters well. It can work, but only for someone that will just fly in for an episode or two. It works pretty well in Two and a Half Men, but they sort of have stock parts for the ones they bring in. Do we really want to see Lindsay Lohan or Miley Cyrus? Stephen Hawking is much more appropriate.

Howard and Bernadette's wedding worked, in that they only had one extra character than the core. In Two and Half Men, they have a smaller cast. I'd rather have Penny freak out about a big wedding, and have her and Leonard sneak away to Reno or Las Vegas. You could have the rest of the group trying to find them, and showing up at the last minute with Sheldon having stuck a GPS transmitter in Leonard's car.

Maybe Reno, but wouldn't like a Vegas wedding 'cause she's already done that with Zack. Maybe a nice little B&B in California....

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 4

I guess the thing about Renny was that it was so obviously an egregious stunt and, being so anomalous, can be be ignored if one chooses as it does not really impact the ongoing story. It also really doesn't need defending, I realize, for the same reason. But stunts work to capture eyes and dollars. Maybe they have enough momentum now to run to S10 so wedding drama will be enough to carry them without stunts with these two.

• Like 2

Very good point being made here, Lenny is very funny WITHOUT Sheldon.  The thing with Lenny humor it is more adult than the childish Sheldon humor and I think more and more people are getting tired of Sheldon type humor, so it might be time to move on.

One thing that has been bothering me more in the show, is the level of abuse Sheldon gets away with with Amy.  The treating her badly, his insults and his lack of caring about her needs in the relationship.  People should be upset about this.

We are.  Pop over to a Shamy thread and you'll see.

I loved Lenny in the Proton episode.  Their scenes were very sweet and I love that they were the only two characters that attended the funeral because we got to see just them.

• Like 2

If this weren't a sitcom Amy would have dumped Sheldon long ago (in real life no woman would have put-up with Sheldon, and Raj would have a steady girlfriend or boyfriend or what ever he really wants.). Amy could go to an academic mixer (like Raj and Sheldon went to in season 3), and throw a rock and hit a better boyfriend than Sheldon.

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 4

We are.  Pop over to a Shamy thread and you'll see.

I loved Lenny in the Proton episode.  Their scenes were very sweet and I love that they were the only two characters that attended the funeral because we got to see just them.

I agree. It shows that Lenny can be excellent on their own. They were funny, warm and delightful. It also reinforces the observation that they are the true grownups in this show. They do the right thing. 

Regarding Amy and Sheldon, while I agree that Sheldon treats her poorly, it is surprising how many people will put up with terrific amounts of abuse in relationships in the real world. It is disturbing, but Amy is much like those women that will date alcoholic bikers hoping to rescue them. She has some sort of need for Sheldon, and the abuse is part of the attraction. I've dated women that just can't handle a guy being nice to them. As Amy has dated no one before Sheldon, she really doesn't know better, and has no faith that she can do better. Of course she can do better, but for some reason, Sheldon is what she feels she needs. So she hopes that she can change him. Unfortunately, that is a fool's errand in real life.

• Like 4

I've dated women that just can't handle a guy being nice to them.

Cough…cough…early Penny…cough…cough.

• Like 6

That's why Leonard is the model for Sheldon to grow towards and why Amy has been so contemptuous of Leonard too. Penny made the change from early Penny and maybe Amy has to make a similar change as well, but without the bed breaking sex (just not seeing that).

And, did Penny capitulate to Leonard in the car with "do what you want"? Was that foreshadowing permission' or did she just give up. I'm keen to see how what happens next on screen. I'm hoping she is enthused and that I see no signs of resignation to her fate. LOL.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

Cough…cough…early Penny…cough…cough.

That means Sheldon is Kurt or Mike, so that doesn't bode well for Amy. I'm grateful to Anita for being reasonable, I've offered opinions on S7 Spoilers that aren't "Sheldon is burning with intense desire for Amy" and gotten ridicule. 

• Like 2

That means Sheldon is Kurt or Mike, so that doesn't bode well for Amy. I'm grateful to Anita for being reasonable, I've offered opinions on S7 Spoilers that aren't "Sheldon is burning with intense desire for Amy" and gotten ridicule.

That may be your interpretation, but it appears you pulled it out of thin air.  There is nothing there at all about Amy or Sheldon.  I was referring to that one sentence of Hammerman's about women HE dated, in somewhat of a joking way.   Not Sheldon, not Amy or anything else from the rest of Hammerman's post.  In reality, Penny had trouble with guys  that treated her well.  The guys that were shown to treat her well, Leonard, Stuart, and Zack, she all had problems with.  Stuart was a substitute for Leonard.  She couldn't tolerate how dull Zack was, for very long, and we know she had commitment issues with Leonard.  So how about you are going to quote me, refer  to the sentence I was quoting and not something that has nothing to do with my comment.

I agree. It shows that Lenny can be excellent on their own. They were funny, warm and delightful. It also reinforces the observation that they are the true grownups in this show. They do the right thing. 

Regarding Amy and Sheldon, while I agree that Sheldon treats her poorly, it is surprising how many people will put up with terrific amounts of abuse in relationships in the real world. It is disturbing, but Amy is much like those women that will date alcoholic bikers hoping to rescue them. She has some sort of need for Sheldon, and the abuse is part of the attraction. I've dated women that just can't handle a guy being nice to them. As Amy has dated no one before Sheldon, she really doesn't know better, and has no faith that she can do better. Of course she can do better, but for some reason, Sheldon is what she feels she needs. So she hopes that she can change him. Unfortunately, that is a fool's errand in real life.

Sheldon actually listens to Amy more than he listens anyone else. Since this is fiction and comedy I expect Sheldon will slowly learn to treat Amy better. I'd be more inclined to agree withe what you said if this were real and not scripted.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming...2uhu8unu.jpg

Tapatalk

I can see where you are coming from in regards to Kurt and Mike. They both kept hurting her and she kept hoping for the best and trying make it work. She even cried on Leonard's shoulder how she always picks the wrong guys. You can't put Stuart in the equation IMO because by then she was already stuck on Leonard even if she didn't fully realize it at the time. Stuart never had a chance just like Zach didn't. Also, although this a Lenny thread not Shamy, I agree with you that Amy actually does put up with a lot of abuse that Sheldon says to her and she just takes it with nothing more than a hurt or frustrated expression on her face.

Perhaps it would have been more appropriate if you had attached your post to Hamerman 55 rather than Tensor (just an operservation.)

• Like 1

Tapatalk

Following up on my original point focusing on our subject, Penny takes Leonard as he is, as Leonard takes Penny as she is. Neither are trying to change the other. Penny made that point in the table episode. People change in the relationship because they want to. One doesn't deliberately reprogram one's partner. One can set boundaries (Penny is embarrassed to go out with Leonard when he wears his Wookie jacket; Leonard prefers Penny in flats because it doesn't remind him how short he is). But that stuff isn't really their fundamental personality.

My concern regarding Sheldon is that he treats everyone badly. It is his personality. Amy had to trick him to do something romantic, and worked quite hard at it. He may in time enjoy physical affection, being that he may be entering adolescence, but he is still going to be condescending and dismissive of anyone's science other than his own. He'll still want to control his friends' and partners' behaviors with things like the roommate and relationship agreements. Penny and Leonard take or leave people as they are. Even Sheldon.

• Like 7

I'm still aquiver for 7.23. :)

Not so fussed about wedding plans yet, but looking wishfully forward to stories of L/P setting up house or having quality time maybe while they are on their own.

• Like 6

Sheldon actually listens to Amy more than he listens anyone else. Since this is fiction and comedy I expect Sheldon will slowly learn to treat Amy better. I'd be more inclined to agree withe what you said if this were real and not scripted.

No, he really doesn't. Yeah, he went in to see his nephew at her suggestion and she's conditioned him to give her an obligatory kiss, so what? He's like a child, when any of the characters get firm and parental he obeys.

But all the evidence shows that she still plays a very marginal role in his mind and life. He's spoken of the future several times this season, and in none of them have involved Amy in the least. He wants to live with Leonard and Penny and have Leonard drive him to ComicCon when they are both eighty (even if Leonard were banned, so it's not a mere "friends forever" sort of deal). In short, he treats her like dirt and she accepts it, just like early Penny.   

I apologize to Tensor for misquoting his post, I did not mean to, but the comparison really does fit like a glove. It's even more fitting than the analogy of Lenny being seen to Sheldon as his parents (permanent) while Amy his part-time nanny (comes as needed when parents are busy, ultimately temporary). And thus far his vision has rung true because they enable him. 

Edited by DaisyJane
  • Like 3

Very good point being made here, Lenny is very funny WITHOUT Sheldon.  The thing with Lenny humor it is more adult than the childish Sheldon humor and I think more and more people are getting tired of Sheldon type humor, so it might be time to move on.

One thing that has been bothering me more in the show, is the level of abuse Sheldon gets away with with Amy.  The treating her badly, his insults and his lack of caring about her needs in the relationship.  People should be upset about this.

That's Sheldon though, the more he cares about people the more he misbehaves around them. I have got upset with Sheldon's treatment of Amy though it's similar in how he treated Leonard in earlier seasons. Before Penny butted in and challenged him. I'm sure she'll do the same for Amy or encourage Amy (as she has been doing) to stand up for herself. Sheldon flies the nest that is Lenny with going off on the train, lets see where that takes him and ergo Amy in season 8. It might just be the key thing Penny and Leonard do for Sheldon in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, I might buy that, except with the the three year renewal of TBBT, Lorre will be the only sit-com producer to have two live action series run for ten years or longer. And, currently has another one going on it's fifth season and another in production. Not to mention he had two shows that were were critically acclaimed and doing well ratings wise, until the star became a diva on one and the star fell back into her drug and alcohol problems on another. Due to the diva, he was fired from that show, and the show promptly tanked in the ratings. In addition to those, he had another show that ran five years with critical acclaim. You don't get that many series to production, work with four different production/distribution companies, or have five series run at least five years, by luck.

Lorre takes risks with his shows, some work, some fail and others get tweaked as in TBBT's case (two pilots, rewrites and recasting etc). There is a bit of luck involved, but that happens in

most walks of life.

Changing the subject from Lorre, though you made some very good points Tensor, I was thinking we are going to have to have a Leonard meeting the parents episode now. It would not make sense for a farm girl from Nebraska to not introduce her future husband to her parents and family before she marries him. Leonard's family may be another matter, because except for his mother he doesn't seem to be in contact with any of them, as Sheldon even knows more about his mother.

There are a lot of episodes that could contain things about their wedding plans in the next year. Howard and Bernadette's wedding was rushed, but it still occupied several episodes. I can see things coming up like where they are going to have it, the dresses, the food (open bar?), the exact date and other things. I would like to see them have Penny's sister come for the dress fitting and suddenly decide she wants a PhD too, so starts hitting on Raj or Sheldon really hard. I would also like to see Penny stress out before the wedding. I actually think Penny stressing out a day or two before the wedding, crying to Leonard and them running off to Las Vegas makes sense.

Well I hope we at least see Penny's father again soon, given he encouraged Leonard to not give up on Penny. Given we've seen Raj and Sheldon's sisters, I'd not be too surprised if we see Penny's sister and brother at some point before the wedding (Brother either gets early release or escapes, Sheldon freaks out etc). Leonard wise ? I think we may get to see his dad at least, must be some comedy gold to mine between Leonard's parents.

As far as the wedding goes ? Depends on how the writers want to play it - rush it like Howard and Bernadette or drag it out a bit.

My guess is Leonard and Penny will be under so much pressure from friends and family over the wedding plans, they will elope. With Sheldon and co in hot pursuit (as I've said before).

Or they elope to Vegas, get married but don't tell anyone (save maybe Penny's dad) and let things play out. So many ways the writers can go with this one.

Penny might not be rushing to introduce the rest of her family to Leonard (and the gang), but they'll probably show up anyway. Maybe the sister first, given the

brother is in jail. One thing I will say is it's probably best not to assume that they will get married in Season 8, it might happen. But they may want to have a few

twists and turns along the way. Depends if they are planning to go beyond 10 seasons or are planning to wrap things up by season 10 (by planning = rough idea of what they want to do, but

no map of how to get there).

• Like 1

Lorre takes risks with his shows, some work, some fail and others get tweaked as in TBBT's case (two pilots, rewrites and recasting etc). There is a bit of luck involved, but that happens in

most walks of life.

There may be, but it was mentioned that he was just lucky.  Once or twice, could be, but my point was his overall production cannot be attributed to luck.

• Like 1

There may be, but it was mentioned that he was just lucky.  Once or twice, could be, but my point was his overall production cannot be attributed to luck.

It's simple - He uses his knowledge and experience of the tv industry and gathers similarly talented people around him to enhance the luck his shows get so that they grow a fanbase

and prosper leading to multiple seasons for some of his shows. Or a good run for others. Hard work in other words.

• Like 1

It's simple - He uses his knowledge and experience of the tv industry and gathers similarly talented people around him to enhance the luck his shows get so that they grow a fanbase

and prosper leading to multiple seasons for some of his shows. Or a good run for others. Hard work in other words.

Like I said, his overall production isn't luck.

• Like 1

Just to be clear, when I insinuated Lorre got lucky, it was ONLY in relationship to having Lenny break-up and Penny subsequently sleeping with Raj. Since that was what the whole discussion was about. Considering this is the Leonard and Penny thread and not the I Love Lorre thread I wasn't going any farther into the other episodes or anylizing his work history.

Maybe Sheldon is doing some grown up to teenager  years showing more maturity, but I agree he still treats everyone like a piece of.......  except I think with Lenny.  If they admonish him, he behaves.  I think Lenny should come up with time out system for Sheldon.  I do hope Lorre will eventually will bring in Leonard's dad and Penny's mother.  And for me, John Goodman would be a good Leonard dad.  Rosanne alumni along with Johnny.  I read a comment that perhaps Penny used the money she retrieved from Leonard's wallet to buy an engagement ring? 

Maybe Sheldon is doing some grown up to teenager  years showing more maturity, but I agree he still treats everyone like a piece of.......  except I think with Lenny.  If they admonish him, he behaves.  I think Lenny should come up with time out system for Sheldon.  I do hope Lorre will eventually will bring in Leonard's dad and Penny's mother.  And for me, John Goodman would be a good Leonard dad.  Rosanne alumni along with Johnny.  I read a comment that perhaps Penny used the money she retrieved from Leonard's wallet to buy an engagement ring? 

Nope, we don't hear of the watch incident again and he will not be getting an engagement ring since he ends up proposing (can't imagine why he would want one anyways). I seriously doubt they'll be wasting much time getting guest stars, Leonard and Penny will undoubtedly have a very small wedding. Penny is not the type of girl who has been dreaming of her wedding day since she was five. 

Sheldon is in his toddler phase and always will be. Even if he were to enter at adolescence, in his mid-30s, that means he wouldn't be a full-fledged adult until Amy was post-menopausal.