The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

6a6ebeme.jpgOne day to go!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

This is a great pic of Kaley and Johnny.

I was spoiled but my hubby was not, so as they began the discussion at her place he figured out what was going to happen.  He said they should get the ring looked at because the stone could've loosened since Leonard has had it in his wallet for a while.

• Like 3

This is a great pic of Kaley and Johnny.

I was spoiled but my hubby was not, so as they began the discussion at her place he figured out what was going to happen.  He said they should get the ring looked at because the stone could've loosened since Leonard has had it in his wallet for a while.

I've got a feeling it wasn't in there the whole time. ;)

• Like 2

I've got a feeling it wasn't in there the whole time. ;)

Yeah, I'm with you.

• Like 1

That was pretty darn near perfect. Penny actually did propose for real, and it wasn't weird. It made sense. Then the Romance Ninja made the moment special. It is interesting that he acted like he had forgotten the ring was in his wallet.

• Like 6

I thought the whole episode paid homage to the history of Leonard and Penny beautifully and the proposal was perfectly in character for the two of them. When you think of the accidental " what have I got to lose" nature of their first date, the first Penny "I love you" that just came out of her mouth without even knowing it happened and the stuffed up romance with the Hitchhikers Guide in "Romance Resonance", Penny was never going to deliver on the big proposal promised in the Valentines Day episode in S6. Nevertheless, the true love she expressed in this proposal linked beautifully with her "I'm passionate about you" line, the "my next marriage will be for love" from Thanksgiving and their beautiful moments with the holograph in the lab scene and the farewell in the car in the S6 finale. Kaley's tone and facial expressions showed so much love for her man. This was real in Lenny fashion. She is so sure, there are no doubts, he is the reason for her true happiness. Even the regular complaints on this forum that Penny doesn't stick up for Leonard like he does was beautifully done with her defence of Leonard when the director attacked him. She risked and lost her job for him - she is putting Leonard first in all ways now.

As for Leonard's response in all this, we saw the new better version of Leonard really stand up, the one that Stuart said was improved by Penny. He wasn't the desperate 'anything to be with Penny' Leonard from Lenny 1.0 in seasons 1-3. He doesn't want to be the comfortable nice guy choice she settles for. He wants to be exciting to her ( and he is - "I'm passionate about you" comes into play again). But he also in the end got the proposal he wanted to do - not unplanned in bed in the heat of passion before they were sure, not the desperate emotional responses he attempted in the restaurant on Valentines Day or her bother effort half drunk and depressed. No - he had a ring for 2 years knowing it was going to happen one day because he knew it was right. And the expression on Penny's face when he pulled that ring out and got down on one knee and said those words "Penny ( no surname still because guess what it was never important until it becomes Hofstadter) will you marry me was one of pure joy. In reality she got the proposal she has been waiting for for many years and Leonard got to do it, which I think he always wanted despite that Valentines Day promise to let her do it when she was ready. It could not have been any more appropriate.

And a final nice homage to the whole relationship? Will Wheaton. He was involved in the breakup and here he is four years later sort of involved in the event that became the catalyst for the proposal. I thought that was a nice touch.

The whole thing could not have been written better, except for maybe more physical affection after the proposal. Maybe a tag with the two of them snuggling in bed like they did in the old days of Season 3. I miss that and hope they can fit that in more in Season 8 and beyond.

Well it felt like a bit like an end of era for the show, season 7 has been about shifting the dynamic of the show from what's gone on before. But it's what the show is good at, evolving along with the characters growth.

Everything was pitched perfectly, I always hoped/thought when the proposal happened they'd be alone in Penny's apartment free from the distraction of the gang. As with all things Lenny they fell into it, but this time not because either was in a panic. But because Penny finally accepts that Leonard is the one for her and Leonard responds in a mature way. The second part of Lenny's journey begins - learning to live together and getting ready to get hitched.

Lenny in that regard. However I'm guessing season 8 will probably concentrate on Lenny learning to live with each others quirks and of course the dreaded wedding spreadsheets (well it's what friends who've got

married have been chained to right up until the wedding day). That was the Big Bang Theory at it's very best, a nice blend of Sheldon, Raj, Howard and Bernie (Amy looks to be getting her moment in

the finale) and of course it becoming Leonard and Penny centric after a slow build through the episode.

• Like 6

I'm still processing all this. It may take a while. But I must say the half-assedness of it rings true. That he had the ring ready... No wonder Penny was stunned. More later.

• Like 4

I remember thinking as aleonard started to ask Penny formally to marry him, Well now we'll find out Penny's last and middle name. Of course, no, we didn't. So Penny's only last name will be Hofstadter.

The other thing that was wonderful was the clip from next week's where Sheldon is loudly asking Leonard "so you're putting your own future happiness ahead of mine?" and Leonard say "Yeah!", like are you that much of an idiot to think that I would spend the rest of my life catering to you? How dumb and self-centered can you be? We have indeed come far.

• Like 5

The Penny character was great in this episode.  Professionally she got fired from her job because of her attitude that if she was going to do a part, no matter how bad that part was, she was going to do her best.   Then when she told Leonard that she didn't need fame or fortune to be happy, she needed him.   I think that this is probably my favorite episode of the season.

Not to go too far overboard, I could have done without most of the part with Howard in in.  Some of things he has down in the past and last night with his mother is a little creepy to me.

• Like 6

The proposal scene from the moment L/P walked into the door right through the hug and kiss was done so wonderfully perfect that I did something I can honestly say I haven't done during and episode before. I continuously rewound the just that particular scene ten times before watching the ending. Kaley and Johnny absolutely nailed it. And that smile Penny gave when Leonard said he had the ring for about two years was simply priceless. They both were superb! Another words I really liked it! :) :)

• Like 8

Their surrogate child, Sheldon, will have to move on and accept he is  not a twelve year old but and grown man, so  I think that  Amy will fill in the gap left by Leonard.  Yes, I agree, there could have been more affection between Lenny, after they hug.  Yes more pillow talk for Lenny for next seasons.

• Like 1

Their surrogate child, Sheldon, will have to move on and accept he is  not a twelve year old but and grown man, so  I think that  Amy will fill in the gap left by Leonard.  Yes, I agree, there could have been more affection between Lenny, after they hug.  Yes more pillow talk for Lenny for next seasons.

Remember Kaley was really sick that night so they probably wanted to get the scene done.

I wonder if the engagement ring that Leonard got, is a family heirloom, from his grandmother to his mom, and now passed to Penny, his wife to be.  I hope they get married on season eight; giving enough time for Lenny to think about a family.  The writers have such a plethora of material they can write about for all the couples for the next three seasons.  I hope TBBT goes beyond ten seasons; or a spinoff.  I believe on the season finale, Leonard's mother show up.  It would be great to see Leonard's mother and Sheldon's mother together, comedic combustion.  the scientist/psychologist Leonard's mother vs the conservative Sheldon's mother in the same room.  :icon_cool:

• Like 2

I think they could do a great spin off with Leonard and Penny. I love the way they play off of each other, and it has actually gotten better this season. There are so many things they do better, now that Leonard is confident, and Penny fully accepts that Leonard is what makes her happy. Note that when they came into her apartment, and Leonard asked if she wanted anything, she didn't ask for anything. Definitely no alcohol involved.

• Like 3

Hey, did anyone notice the recurrence of "be serious"? Isn't that from Leonard's daydreamed recombination? I'm liking the half-assed engagement (HAE) more, especially as the ring comes out like it's an afterthought. And now that Penny has gotten real about something maybe good things will happen for her. She has two films now. Almost a genre. Certainly something for the CV.

Btw, I think Penny really lit up when the ring appeared. Nice. I also think they wrote and played it more for comedy and not emotion, compared to the bit in the 43 Peculiarity. Never mind. I suppose that's what happens when you have a running gag resolved. Shame they keep the show so super PG now and cut where they did.

Off now to re-read the ultimate taping report to see what drove Sheldon out of town. Edit: well no-one broke up and I can relate to Sheldon (wow) wanting to get away from everything because it was all too much - though usually I can just drink to get the same effect, and wake up in my own bed. Leonard is still a bit ahead of Penny but not near as much. Looking forward to seeing their solidarity.

Edited by Nogravitasatall
  • Like 3

I wonder if the engagement ring that Leonard got, is a family heirloom, from his grandmother to his mom, and now passed to Penny, his wife to be.  I hope they get married on season eight; giving enough time for Lenny to think about a family.  The writers have such a plethora of material they can write about for all the couples for the next three seasons.  I hope TBBT goes beyond ten seasons; or a spinoff.  I believe on the season finale, Leonard's mother show up.  It would be great to see Leonard's mother and Sheldon's mother together, comedic combustion.  the scientist/psychologist Leonard's mother vs the conservative Sheldon's mother in the same room.  :icon_cool:

I don't think they'll marry in season 8, because remember it took over a year after Leonard gave her the power of the proposal , so I expect season 8 will be them becoming use to being engaged and that they are marrying, with some long range wedding planning. Season 9 they will marry, I bet. Now that they are committed, I don't mind the wait, as long as there are no hints of even thinking about a breakup. Their living arrangements could be addresses at that time, and I think it would be funny if they tried some different things. Sheldon discusses Penny living with them, what if they tried that for a month or two, for an experiment (Penny keeping her apartment in case the experiment fails), Sheldon loves experiments, and it would allow the writers to play with the idea but if it doesn't work they can easily move her back.

I would love to see a tag scene of Penny sleeping in Leonard's room, sneaking out with a pillow to Sheldon's room, then smothering him to death. She would suddenly then wake up from her dream and wake Leonard, who would ask if she had a nightmare. She would think for a second then smile telling him no and then they would both go go sleep.

• Like 5

I don't think they'll marry in season 8, because remember it took over a year after Leonard gave her the power of the proposal , so I expect season 8 will be them becoming use to being engaged and that they are marrying, with some long range wedding planning. Season 9 they will marry, I bet. Now that they are committed, I don't mind the wait, as long as there are no hints of even thinking about a breakup. Their living arrangements could be addresses at that time, and I think it would be funny if they tried some different things. Sheldon discusses Penny living with them, what if they tried that for a month or two, for an experiment (Penny keeping her apartment in case the experiment fails), Sheldon loves experiments, and it would allow the writers to play with the idea but if it doesn't work they can easily move her back.

I would love to see a tag scene of Penny sleeping in Leonard's room, sneaking out with a pillow to Sheldon's room, then smothering him to death. She would suddenly then wake up from her dream and wake Leonard, who would ask if she had a nightmare. She would think for a second then smile telling him no and then they would both go go sleep.

Re smothering Sheldon... Maybe he'd best fear the woman he scorned. Amy might just insert those electrodes when she catches up with him - and not in his head..Also I don't want to see Penny in Sheldon's bedroom. Lol

• Like 2

SRAM, that would be devastating if they, the writers gave hint of a breakup, Lenny fans would not take that kindly.  Cant think about that. Leonard dating Phryia, I don't know what writers were thinking about, but was truly pathetic.  But that made Lenny's love for each other stronger.  My feeling is that Sheldon might move to Penny's place.  It will truly be hilarious, when Penny has to choose who is going to be her maid of  honor, if she chooses Bernie; then Amy will be truly devastated.  I could see them both being maid of honor.  Probably Sheldon will be best man, I could imagine him saying to Lenny; when Leonard saw Penny for the first time, and Leonard said " our babies will be smart and beautiful " .

• Like 1

They are going to want to eek as much comedy out of Penny and Leonard's engagement as they can before they get into the actual wedding. Season 9 for Wedding leaving

season 10 for a bit of Lenny married Life.

I'm guessing the first few episodes of season 8 will deal with the living arrangements, as it seems Penny and Leonard will have some Sheldon free time between the end of

season 7 and whereever they pick up off from in Season 8. Who knows SRAM they may open Season 8 with something like that.

In the preview for next week, they showed Leonard and Sheldon arguing about the engagement. The gist of it was that Leonard wants to move Penny into 4A, and Sheldon take her apartment. As expected, Sheldon's response was that state that Leonard was putting his future happiness ahead of Sheldon's. To which Leonard replied, Yeah! So the initial plan is to move Penny into 4A and Sheldon into 4B. It makes the most sense, but we are talking about Sheldon here. Sense doesn't enter into it.

• Like 1

She only shows up on a Skype session because Christine Baranski has a regular role on The Good Wife.

And now Laurie Metcalf is starring in a new show, The McCarthys so who knows how often we'll see her.  :-(

• Like 1

Actually, there is no plan yet, it's one of the options.  Leonard first suggests that Leonard move in with Penny and Sheldon, then Leonard mentions Sheldon moving into 4B.  Later, Amy suggests he live on his own for a while, or Amy can move in.  

• Like 2

I bet that even the writers don't have a plan yet. We've certainly speculated on many of the options. I thought it was more interesting that Sheldon baldly stated that Leonard moving in with Penny sans Sheldon would be so inconceivable. For someone touted as being so smart, the idea that Penny and Leonard would get engaged and move in together without him seems to have never occurred to him, from the short clip.

• Like 1

I thought it was more interesting that Sheldon baldly stated that Leonard moving in with Penny sans Sheldon would be so inconceivable. For someone touted as being so smart, the idea that Penny and Leonard would get engaged and move in together without him seems to have never occurred to him, from the short clip.

That's because for Sheldon, the world revolves around him, and he's apparently incapable of seeing it any other way. Let's hope that him going walkabout in the finale knocks a little sense into him, because otherwise, he's never going to grow up.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2