The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Actually, there is no plan yet, it's one of the options.  Leonard first suggests that Leonard move in with Penny and Sheldon, then Leonard mentions Sheldon moving into 4B.  Later, Amy suggests he live on his own for a while, or Amy can move in.  

I think it was merely Leonard jumping the gun somewhat to create the tipping point that gets Sheldon to go on his travels. I'm guessing they'll try a few variations out until they settle on something that works for the writers, actors and the viewers. Season 8 might be a game of musical chairs with living arrangements.

I bet that even the writers don't have a plan yet. We've certainly speculated on many of the options. I thought it was more interesting that Sheldon baldly stated that Leonard moving in with Penny sans Sheldon would be so inconceivable. For someone touted as being so smart, the idea that Penny and Leonard would get engaged and move in together without him seems to have never occurred to him, from the short clip.

They'll probably use the first few episodes to figure it out, plus I'm sure the actors will have some input into it as well. Then again Penny could just say "Let's not move in

until we are married" and the living arrangements remain as they are. Lots of ways they can play this. Anyway comedy wise ? All 3 living together would be excruciatingly funny if the writers handled it well.

Then you either move Raj or Amy into Penny's old apartment so you have a space all 3 can use to get away from each other. That's the thing they won't want to lose, the back and forth between 4A and 4B.

• Like 1

I bet that even the writers don't have a plan yet. We've certainly speculated on many of the options. I thought it was more interesting that Sheldon baldly stated that Leonard moving in with Penny sans Sheldon would be so inconceivable. For someone touted as being so smart, the idea that Penny and Leonard would get engaged and move in together without him seems to have never occurred to him, from the short clip.

This is the same person who couldn't comprehend why Leonard would rather spend time with Penny after returning from the north sea.

Season 7 episode 2

Sheldon: Please. Why would Leonard come home early and waste his time kissing Penny when he could be hanging out with his best buddy? Yeah, that’s it. I’m catching her in the act. (Unlocks door)

Or why Leonard would want to spend time alone with Penny in the dark.

Season 5 episode 13

Sheldon: Oh, he’ll be back. Wine and a girl in the dark, he’s gonna be bored out of his mind.

I have an idea. When Sheldon comes back he finds Penny moved in with Leonard, and the locks are changed. When he knocks to get in they tell him all his stuff has been moved across the hall and the lock there fits his key. i.e. they don't just move his stuff but the locks as well, so he doesn't even have to get a new key.

Sorry, damn thing keeps adding to previous post, was supposed to be a seperate post

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 3

I think it would be OOC for Penny to insist on waiting to live together until after the wedding. She's simply not that formal about stuff. If the writers went this way, it would be an artificial construct to maintain Leonard living with Sheldon. One of the points of the engagement is to force Sheldon to grow up, and separate Leonard from him. Sheldon has become less and less of a friend, and more a burden for Leonard. They used to actually be buddies, and do stuff together, but Sheldon and Leonard generally choose to be with their significant others. Sheldon has been more domineering when away from Amy, and in some respects, cruel. I still shudder at the whole sweater episode last fall. It was calculated cruelty to someone that is supposed to be essential to one's happiness. Sheldon has also stated on several occasions this season that he has deliberately manipulated Leonard into "a conduit for his will". This is unhealthy for both of them. I think Sheldon fears that his life will go back to the way it was before Leonard moved in, and also fears that he will lose the absolute control he craves if he bonds more closely to Amy. It is largely unsustainable, even in a sit-com.

At this point, Penny is going to insist on having more of Leonard, not less. Regardless of the ultimate living arrangements, Leonard with be with Penny pretty much all of his free time. He will continue to move out from under Sheldon's influence, as one of Penny's contributions to Leonard's life is to support him in standing up to Sheldon. Sheldon's life is changing no matter what. Running away doesn't fix that. It merely postpones the inevitable, and actually permits the situation to evolve without any of his input. Sheldon's leaving opens the door for Leonard and Penny to move into 4A, and fully set up housekeeping. Sheldon may come back and find things very different

On another note, I have been mentally compiling a list of favorite Lenny scenes from this season, and they include the following:

1. Penny hiding Leonard from Sheldon to have to private time with her boyfriend.

2. The box of mementos Penny showed Leonard. 

3. Leonard giving Penny the car.

4. Penny and Leonard at Professor Proton's funeral. 

5. The double proposal (Penny proposes to Leonard. He accepts, then proposes to Penny more formally).

Every time I think about the proposal, I want to go rewatch it. It was just perfect the way Penny basically had to convince Leonard she was both serious and not doing it out of reaction to other external events. She really had decided she was ready for this. 

• Like 5

I totally agree about the sweater episode. I did not find it funny.. you do not do that to your so called best buddy and even if you did you will stop when you see the pain he was going through. Sheldon was not only cruel but proved to me what I have though for a long time he definitely knows what he is doing that was pure evil on his path and I would never forgive a friend if they did that to me and penny in that scene in her apt should have forced him to take that jumper off or even gone over and confronted Shelden and threanten to punch him in his throat to get him to back down or something. Even Amy though he went too far but as usual everyone let it slide cause it's Sheldon. BS. He know what he is doing and manipulates everyone to get his way.

Send from my Galaxy Note3 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 6

@h &t: Yeah, torturing your friend. That was an example of Leonard being captured by Sheldon's irrationally. There have been other instances, most of which stem from buying into the ludicrous roommate agreement. Penny mostly resisted, but even she got tired of fighting back, so no more panty piñata. At one stage they would ignore his insanity and go to the movies without him. Even in Proton decay, they still had to watch Jar-Jar Binks on his schedule.

Maybe this season marks the lowest point in Leonard's ability to resist Sheldon's manipulations and he and Penny start standing their ground more going forward. Its going to be interesting to see how L/P contort to accept the continued presence of Sheldon as such a controlling influence in their lives. I know that is the show, but they are going to have to explain why they don't just run. That I suppose will fall out when the accommodation gets resolved.

Too bad there is no reason for the meth cook to move in with Sheldon.

• Like 4

I totally agree about the sweater episode. I did not find it funny.. you do not do that to your so called best buddy and even if you did you will stop when you see pain he is going through. Sheldon was not only cruel but proved to me what I have though for a long time he definitely knows what he is doing that was pure evil on his path and I would never forgive a friend if they did that to me and penny in that scene in her apt should have forced him to take that jumper off or even gone over and confronted Shelden and threanten to punch in his throat to get him to back down or something. Even Amy though he went too far but as usual everyone let it slide cause it's Sheldon. BS. He know what he is doing and manipulates everyone to get his way.

The first sign of Sheldon treating Leonard badly was the episode where he threatened to tell Priya's parents about Leonard (like they would believe Sheldon over their daughter). I can forgive him that one as the Roommate Agreement seems to be essential in Sheldon's mind to his lifestyle. However, since then, he has mostly moved away from having any concern for Leonard's well-being. The only time he showed any sort of human concern for Leonard was when Penny was thinking of dumping him in early season six, and he asked her not to hurt his friend. But subsequent events makes one wonder if it was really because Sheldon knew that Leonard couldn't tolerate being dumped by Penny again. Leonard would never want to see her again, and that would disturb Sheldon's homeostasis. As time has gone on, he has fought being shut out of Leonard and Penny's relationship, and shows no qualms about throwing his "buddy" under the bus when it suits his purposes. One did not get this sense in earlier seasons. Sheldon and Leonard really did seem like friends, but then Raj and Howard have been willing to rat out Leonard when it suited them too, even betray him. Raj clearly thinks of Leonard as not really good enough, as evidenced by his attitude when Leonard was dating his sister (there are arguments about him sleeping with Penny, but I count that as a betrayal. However, let's please not start that again). Howard most recently ratted out Leonard when he tried to manipulate Bernadette after Leonard successfully did so with Penny over his mother's book. (Quite frankly, Leonard was mostly innocent in that, as he told Penny it would bother him a great deal to have to address anything regarding his mother, his raising and whatever his mother put in the book.). So in the end, the only person Leonard has really been able to trust to have his back is Penny. Sort of sad, isn't it?

I do think it is important to keep in mind that what Sheldon is demanding is unreasonable. Expecting Leonard and Penny to look after him for the rest of his life is ridiculous. He should have better sense for being a genius. I suspect that Penny will be getting all rodeo on Sheldon before it is all over with. Sheldon had better thank his lucky starts that Howard and Raj found Amy for him.

• Like 4

The first sign of Sheldon treating Leonard badly was the episode where he threatened to tell Priya's parents about Leonard (like they would believe Sheldon over their daughter). I can forgive him that one as the Roommate Agreement seems to be essential in Sheldon's mind to his lifestyle. However, since then, he has mostly moved away from having any concern for Leonard's well-being. The only time he showed any sort of human concern for Leonard was when Penny was thinking of dumping him in early season six, and he asked her not to hurt his friend. But subsequent events makes one wonder if it was really because Sheldon knew that Leonard couldn't tolerate being dumped by Penny again. Leonard would never want to see her again, and that would disturb Sheldon's homeostasis. As time has gone on, he has fought being shut out of Leonard and Penny's relationship, and shows no qualms about throwing his "buddy" under the bus when it suits his purposes. One did not get this sense in earlier seasons. Sheldon and Leonard really did seem like friends, but then Raj and Howard have been willing to rat out Leonard when it suited them too, even betray him. Raj clearly thinks of Leonard as not really good enough, as evidenced by his attitude when Leonard was dating his sister (there are arguments about him sleeping with Penny, but I count that as a betrayal. However, let's please not start that again). Howard most recently ratted out Leonard when he tried to manipulate Bernadette after Leonard successfully did so with Penny over his mother's book. (Quite frankly, Leonard was mostly innocent in that, as he told Penny it would bother him a great deal to have to address anything regarding his mother, his raising and whatever his mother put in the book.). So in the end, the only person Leonard has really been able to trust to have his back is Penny. Sort of sad, isn't it?

I do think it is important to keep in mind that what Sheldon is demanding is unreasonable. Expecting Leonard and Penny to look after him for the rest of his life is ridiculous. He should have better sense for being a genius. I suspect that Penny will be getting all rodeo on Sheldon before it is all over with. Sheldon had better thank his lucky starts that Howard and Raj found Amy for him.

You nailed it there. Leonard is just a punch bag to all his friends but it's done for laughs and in real life don't think they will still be friends with all the betrayals I am with you on the don't hurt my friend quote, it was done as we have seen this season and past. Sheldon does not like changes if he cares about Leonard he would have told him, glad he didn't tho. Hope your right that Penny put her foot down and demands changes and move on from feeling sorry for Sheldon when he is down and let amy deal with him and concentrate on loving Leonard and being there for him cause he is the best :)

• Like 3

The challenge is that Sheldon has always needed an apologist. I thought about the Harrison Ford film where the arschloch gets shot in the head then becomes lovable. Too extreme? Well, something might happen while he is away.

Anyway, let the apologist be Amy for a while and lets get some fun out of L/P.

• Like 2

Off topic, but just another marvelous occurrence in 7.23 was Penny telling the director that he couldn't speak to Leonard "that way". She went immediately to his defense. I would just love to see that happen the next time Sheldon mistreats her fiancé.

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk

• Like 6

Leonard: and what do you need?

Penny: You. You stupid pop tart

Love that line. Can't stop re watching it.

• Like 3

Off topic, but just another marvelous occurrence in 7.23 was Penny telling the director that he couldn't speak to Leonard "that way". She went immediately to his defense. I would just love to see that happen the next time Sheldon mistreats her fiancé.

Tapatalk

This was pretty wonderful, and points out where Penny is coming from. I suspect the table episode is the last time you'll see Penny give into Sheldon regarding Leonard. If the writers need conflict, have Penny and Amy get into it. It will be particularly interesting to see Amy try to defend Sheldon in most cases, as he never really has a point. He just has desires he wants fulfilled. Amy had no problem in the episode where Leonard moved out on Sheldon for spoiling one of the Harry Potter books (The Spoiler Alert Segmentation").

I hope we see a whole new Penny with regard to Leonard now. He is her husband to be, and country girls stick up for their men.

• Like 6

Tapatalk

Really hope so. What really annoyed me about some episodes in S7 was penny not sticking up for Leonard against Sheldon. Hope now they are engaged things will change for the better now he is not going to be her bran muffin Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 2

The challenge is that Sheldon has always needed an apologist. I thought about the Harrison Ford film where the arschloch gets shot in the head then becomes lovable. Too extreme? Well, something might happen while he is away.

Anyway, let the apologist be Amy for a while and lets get some fun out of L/P.

Hang on... By shot in the head do you mean dead, or just enough damage to improve change his personality? Oh hell, either one is good.

• Like 1

Hang on... By shot in the head do you mean dead, or just enough damage to improve change his personality? Oh hell, either one is good.

Hahahahaha. Sorry should stop now. Make it look like an accident.

• Like 2

@ew I don't know how much he or the circumstances have to change to make him tolerable to L/P. I think distance, no shared walls and two locked doors will do it for them.

But if Penny really loves Leonard she will do her best to stop Leonard from feeling he has to knuckle under - like she used to before she got ground down a bit. And if Leonard is fair dinkum about Penny, then he should stomp hard on Sheldon's putdowns.

I cite what happened to Princess Diana is evidence of the danger in three people in one marriage - unless polyamory is really your thing. :)

• Like 3

@ew I don't know how much he or the circumstances have to change to make him tolerable to L/P. I think distance, no shared walls and two locked doors will do it for them.

Not going to stop him. Remember he broke into Penny's in 6×2. Were there's a will there's a way. Never going to completely get rid of Sheldon. Sad to admit it but they are stuck with him. That's just the way the writers are going to keep writing them.

Edited by Tonstar17
  • Like 2

Sheldon is a horrible person, usually the writers gloss over it by making it funny at the end, so the fans laugh and just rationalize that is Sheldon being Sheldon. In the sweater episode the ending laugh didn't come through, so the fans were left saying WTH because they were exposed to Sheldon's cruelty without the funny buffer. Sheldon is so cruel to Amy, it makes me sick sometimes, he is the perfect example of a abusive personality. Even some of the Shamy's are getting sick of him. I wish Amy would dump him and just stay part of Penny's posse, she could be the new single member of the group, since Emily and Raj seems to work. I would like to see Leonard and Penny matchmake with her and Sheldon can stay his crazy abusive self.

• Like 4

But if Penny really loves Leonard she will do her best to stop Leonard from feeling he has to knuckle under - like she used to before she got ground down a bit. And if Leonard is fair dinkum about Penny, then he should stomp hard on Sheldon's putdowns.

I cite what happened to Princess Diana is evidence of the danger in three people in one marriage - unless polyamory is really your thing. :)

Not going to stop him. Remember he broke into Penny's in 6×2. Where there's a will there's a way. Never going to completely get rid of Sheldon. Sad to admit it but they are stuck with him. That's just the way the writers are going to keep writing them.

Edited by Tonstar17

Really hope so. What really annoyed me about some episodes in S7 was penny not sticking up for Leonard against Sheldon. Hope now they are engaged things will change for the better now he is not going to be her bran muffin

I think Penny has the smartest approach with Sheldon. She knows better than to engage, and would only waste her breath and look foolish by "standing up to Sheldon". It wouldn't change anything. 

The whole discussion of new living arrangements seemed to be brought up just to put Sheldon over the edge IMO. Leonard knew he was already upset over his job and to be honest the living arrangements being mentioned right away seemed fast since it took so long for an engagement to actually happen. Sheldon going away had to happen. Something has to change with him. Not just for Amy's benefit but for Lenny's . An Amy break up with Sheldon would be a good thing. I just saw the Raj/Penny episode last night and thought it would be funny if they had something similar like Amy/Stuart. I think in the end though the Shamy will be together IMO. Sheldon will never totally change but they need to bring him to the point he is bearable to be around.

• Like 1

I think season 8 is ripe for all kind of story lines with Penny and Leonard now that they are committed and engaged. They could have a lot of fun with the living arrangements, having them trying different things, like moving in with Sheldon, moving in together, moving someplace new, then finally keeping things the same while always sleeping with each other. Her career could get better, with Leonard's help, which causes them problems too, because of keeping them apart or guys hitting on Penny even though she keeps telling them she's engaged. The wedding planning could cause problems. Sheldon not liking the new arrangement could cause problems, really based on Sheldon's character, I could really see him pulling some stunt, like he did with Priya and Leonard, to try and make them do what he wants. These are just a few examples on how the Lenny engagement could add more storylines in the show.

• Like 2

I think Penny has the smartest approach with Sheldon. She knows better than to engage, and would only waste her breath and look foolish by "standing up to Sheldon". It wouldn't change anything. 

Penny is actually pretty good at handling Sheldon, she knows when to engage with him and when to leave him to his own devices.

She does have the smarter approach to Sheldon, I think she'll only stand up to Sheldon if he does something remarkably

horrible towards Leonard or Amy. I would guess Penny would stick up for Leonard if he say he got tenure and that sent Sheldon off

into one of his rages about dumb people (as he sees them) getting things he thinks should go to him automatically.

Sheldon is a genius, but he lacks Penny's emotional IQ.

I do not see Sheldon doing something with Leonard and Penny the way he did with Priya because Penny is not Priya.  In all of the episodes, I do not think that Sheldon has ever really won in a direct confrontation with Penny, for example Panty Pinata".  She has no problem standing up to him and the same applies to Leonard.  They both care deeply for Sheldon so they will never look to purposely hurt him, but they will stand up to him when it is called for.

Sheldon crushed Priya, mainly because she more afraid of her parents finding out about Leonard.   

SRAM makes some good points about the opportunity for some good storylines now that Leonard and Penny are engaged.  One in particular is to see how this will work with Leonard's mother., now she can get in both of their heads.  As for Penny's acting career, is she still going to pursue being an actress?  She said at the conclusion of the last episode that she has realized that she no longer needs to be famous to be happy.  I guess they may have left that open.  However, her statement about starting to "make smarter decisions" about her life seemed to imply more than just marrying Leonard. 

Edited by Oldnavy
  • Like 2

I do not see Sheldon doing something with Leonard and Penny the way he did with Priya because Penny is not Priya.  In all of the episodes, I do not think that Sheldon has ever really won in a direct confrontation with Penny, for example Panty Pinata".  She has no problem standing up to him and the same applies to Leonard.  They both care deeply for Sheldon so they will never look to purposely hurt him, but they will stand up to him when it is called for.

Sheldon crushed Priya, mainly because she more afraid of her parents finding out about Leonard.   

SRAM makes some good points about the opportunity for some good storylines now that Leonard and Penny are engaged.  One in particular is to see how this will work with Leonard's mother., now she can get in both of their heads.

I actually think more of a storyline may be Penny's parents. In the finale, Beverly gave an approval to Lenny based on Sheldon's approval of the engagement. I found it also interesting when Penny called her parents she talked to her mother.