The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Disgusted

Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

Think about that "The bold part would be interesting, so I can fairly say it won't happen." It's sad that they would pass-up something interesting just because Sheldon isn't the focus.

well, its still "might" until it happens. I'm sure they run metrics on viewership and know what butters their bread. One can hope they get the longer run and spread the load. That would give the chance for other stories and angles.

Think about that "The bold part would be interesting, so I can fairly say it won't happen." It's sad that they would pass-up something interesting just because Sheldon isn't the focus.

I agree it's sad.  If you at the history of the show it leads one to believe my statement is true.  I do wish the writers would surprise me and other viewers of the show and write something like you posted.

• Like 2

I agree it's sad. If you at the history of the show it leads one to believe my statement is true. I do wish the writers would surprise me and other viewers of the show and write something like you posted.

I'm thinking this year will have some comeuppances. I don't know why, only that some characters need shaking up. I think it could get professionally turbulent, to drive the drama. But the A story will most likely involve Sheldon as part of the plot as he is a principle character. So your pessimism is probably well founded.

• Like 1

The bold part would be interesting, so I can fairly say it won't happen. The focus won't be on Sheldon and I don't see the writers going there.  Sheldon has to be the focus point when major players (i.e. stars, scientists, ...) are on the show.  I know a few times that it has been about the other characters, but it's mainly always Sheldon that is used.

I was considering your point about Sheldon always being the focus when guest scientists were a plot point, and I thought of one. David Underhill in one of the best and most balanced episodes they have written. You have the whole gift thing with Leonard Nemoy's DNA, and a scientist they all respected complementing Leonard's experimental work. It also broke down Penny's fear of Leonard being smarter than she was, since she had no problem hooking up with David Underhill. But since then, the focus was on Sheldon when other scientists were involved. This new connection with Hawking could change that. There should be follow up plot lines as they work up the data collected, with lots of Skyping and trips to the UK.

• Like 3

Posted by Disgusted on 01 August 2013 - 08:53 PM in Season 6

I personally have no problem with Penny and Sheldon together, I think they are hilarious. The Christmas gift scene is my all time favorite.

From a purely business standpoint, Sheldon has a lot of name recognition, and Kaley has become very high profile due to her commercials. It only makes sense to put them together for the first few episodes, because they are the ones new viewers will be tuning in to see. If they can hook new viewers, without chasing away current viewers, it's a win.

I just found some data to add to this.....http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/06/usd-poll-favourite-malefemale.html    [click view results]

So from a purely business and ratings standpoint, it makes sense for TPTB to put Sheldon and Penny together more often.

Edited by Disgusted

I just found some data to add to this.....http://www.spoilertv.com/2013/06/usd-poll-favourite-malefemale.html    [click view results]

So from a purely business and ratings standpoint, it makes sense for TPTB to put Sheldon and Penny together more often.

No it doesn't. Those type of polls are horribly inaccurate. It is too easy for a person or persons to vote multiple times in that type of poll to get the results in their favor.

They could write it differently, but now the die is cast. Sheldon grabs the viewer attention with his extreme behavior and Penny is delightful. Leonard has been the rock.

It makes me wonder if s4 gave her more to work with. Being funny and dramatic. Maybe I'm just looking for reasons to justify my preference. I did find s4 interesting. And the payoff now is so satisfying. However, because roller coasters are entertaining I have to brace myself for the drops they will roll out this season.

I'm thinking (and I'm probably being alarmist or a fantasist) that Leonard might be a source of drama this time around. If only for the contrast and novelty.

Edited by Nogravitasatall

They could write it differently, but now the die is cast. Sheldon grabs the viewer attention with his extreme behavior and Penny is delightful. Leonard has been the rock.

It makes me wonder if s4 gave her more to work with. Being funny and dramatic. Maybe I'm just looking for reasons to justify my preference. I did find s4 interesting. And the payoff now is so satisfying. However, because roller coasters are entertaining I have to brace myself for the drops they will roll out this season.

I'm thinking (and I'm probably being alarmist or a fantasist) that Leonard might be a source of drama this time around. If only for the contrast and novelty.

I'm afraid I too am looking forward to S7 with some trepidation. My feeling is that the writers wil not be able to resist the temptation to mess aroud with the L & P relationship. Too many story lines/laughs to resist perhaps. Nothing serious I hope but not smooth sailing either.

• Like 2

I'm afraid I too am looking forward to S7 with some trepidation. My feeling is that the writers wil not be able to resist the temptation to mess aroud with the L & P relationship. Too many story lines/laughs to resist perhaps. Nothing serious I hope but not smooth sailing either.

Well if they break up Leonard and Penny again woulden't be all bad, I mean did that alot with Ross and Rachel in Friends, and the show diddn't suffer that much (although I always thought TBBT was at its best when Lenny were together, but particularly in S3). I mean the "well they or wont they" thing has been a big part of sitcoms, and it keeps the veiwers inerested, I mean if Lenny stayed together until S10, it may get uninteresting, sure they are together, but you need to keep the veiwers guessing and keep it fresh going into the seventh season of a hugely succesfull sitcom, so I guess the writers well be considering that. Personally I hope they take the next step and Leonard and Penny move in together, I think their would be some comedy if Penny moved in in with Leonard and Sheldon, be some great morning moment comedy in that.

A million times no to the breakup. This is my seventh year. Nonononono.

(cries).

I don't think they well break up, but I was just saying the writers may consider it when it comes to push/resit.

Yeah, but the rest of your post faded from view as the grayness struck and I fell to the floor, bereft of sense and shattered of heart, a crumpled sobbing heap.

I'm good now. (braces himself to read further).

I can't wait for the posting reports, any news, anyone?

• Like 1

Yeah, but the rest of your post faded from view as the grayness struck and I fell to the floor, bereft of sense and shattered of heart, a crumpled sobbing heap.

I'm good now. (braces himself to read further).

I can't wait for the posting reports, any news, anyone?

Well it seems that the Lorrie yanked Sheldon out of his burrow, at which point Sheldon pulled his head out of his behind and saw his shadow. We hope that means four more years of BBT (ratings permitting)

Edited by eirwinrommel
  • Like 1

Well it seems that the Lorrie pulled Sheldon out of his burrow, at which point Sheldon pulled his head out of his behind and saw his shadow. We hope that means four more years of BBT (ratings permitting)

Well I just read that BBT finishd #2 for the season in top most watched scripted shows in the states, highest rated sitcom since Friends apparently. So if the cast want to continue with it, then the only reason they have left is ratings, so I would say it has at least another 3 years left in it. I know this isint a ratings thread, just read that and thought it was awesome, seeing TBBT ratings were pretty low first 2 seasons, the ratings just grow every year. And when it comes to Sheldon more dead pan I am better then you so don't even try and undermine my argument Sheldon in S7 haha.

Well I just read that BBT finishd #2 for the season in top most watched scripted shows in the states [...]

Let me guess: NCIS was #1, right? :) Don't get me wrong, I love that show (Abby rocks!), but it's been finishing at #1 for, like, forever.

Let me guess: NCIS was #1, right? :) Don't get me wrong, I love that show (Abby rocks!), but it's been finishing at #1 for, like, forever.

Yep NCIS it's finished #1 for like 5 seasons now, I think BBT is due for #1, last sitcom that went #1 was Friends. Since then alot of crime type shows like CSI and NCIS have dominated. 

Don't forget, total viewers isn't one of the big numbers. The main thing is 18-49 demo, and TBBT was #1 in that particular statistic, for broadcast, scripted shows. It was the only Show above 5.5, with a 6.2. If live + 7 data is used, it was the only one above 6.3, with a 7.2. As a matter of fact, TBBT live number(5.5)was better than all but three shows live +7 numbers.

I'll be interested to see if NCIS takes a viewership hit with Ziva leaving the show.  The first two episodes will probably dominate with people wanting to see how she leaves.  But they could experience a drop off after that if they don't get the right female lead to fill her role.

Well it looks from the sides info that Leonard will be back home for episode 2 which means we will be getting some great L/P interaction. :wub:

Now there is an outside chance that he could show up at the end of the season premiere. But this is speculation on my part.

I'll be interested to see if NCIS takes a viewership hit with Ziva leaving the show.  The first two episodes will probably dominate with people wanting to see how she leaves.  But they could experience a drop off after that if they don't get the right female lead to fill her role.

I'll look at that when I start doing the ratings posts, once the season starts the last week of September

Practically every CBS tweet I see at the moment is responded to by angry NCIS fans wanting Ziva back. You can never tell how big these internet campaigns are and in the context of NCIS's huge ratings, the campaign itself surely doesn't matter at all. Still, it will be interesting to see whether the general audience feels the same way.

I'm quite late to the game with NCIS and am just catching up on DVD. I'm only half-way through Season 3 so I don't really have any strong feelings about Ziva at the moment. Obviously my view is now going to be clouded by the fact I know she's eventually leaving the show.

I lived through Grissom leaving CSI and it's still a sore subject almost 5 years later with some...

I know this is off TBBT topic, but Ziva's leaving?  Bummer.

Did someone say the sides are out for the second episode of TBBT?