Leonard And Penny Season 7 *spoiler* Discussion Thread

[snip]

The one thing that bugged me about the finale was Amy beating up on Leonard for not restraining Sheldon from leaving. I get that she is disappointed and frustrated, but it sure as hell isn't Leonard's fault. Sheldon assumed that he would be able to live with Leonard and Penny forever, and earlier in the season, they made it clear that wasn't happening. [snip]

Amy was holding up rather well until that point. Leonard is just a safe person to vent frustrations on (no fun for him I know -- I know what that is like). It was just intended for a laugh. Overall I think the intent was to show Amy rolling with the flow of things like she usually does. For the most part she is amazingly patient (she has to be).

• Like 1

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So true Tensor.   The most consistent motif the writers have used with Penny is her insecurity about her intelligence and judgement. It pops up constantly in several episodes a season, starting with

Bullshit. My wife and I have OUR money. If money is budgeted for her to get clothes or for me to get clothes, neither one of us is giving the other money for clothes, we are using OUR money to get clo

OK, I went and re-watched the show tonight. I was looking at how Leonard and Penny reacted and it became obvious it was a no-win for Leonard. He was obviously sticking his foot in his mouth while tryi

Posted Images

Amy was holding up rather well until that point. Leonard is just a safe person to vent frustrations on (no fun for him I know -- I know what that is like). It was just intended for a laugh. Overall I think the intent was to show Amy rolling with the flow of things like she usually does. For the most part she is amazingly patient (she has to be).

Plus Leonard is the official punching bag of the show.

• Like 3

Penny just checking out her ring while Leonard gets whacked by Amy has me intrigued. Her just sitting there. I know its funny but she had a choice. I think by not reacting she sent a signal that she doesn't believe she needs to intervene in Shamy affairs anymore. Amy has to fight her own battles and it's obvious she is beating up the wrong person and Leonard just has to put up with being whacked this time because if Penny jumps in she picks up the Shamy problems again. And if, as eirwinrommel and also someone also on the shamy thread noted, the psychic message was for Penny as well (or for Penny entirely), then she has to stop being distracted by Sheldon and his issues. And if Leonard being whacked by Amy is the price for sending this message then that's something she can live with. And so can I, if she stays consistently pro-Leonard and not dabble in Sheldon's affairs. It will come to a point where, as it should be, Penny is the only one whacking Leonard.

• Like 2

Penny just checking out her ring while Leonard gets whacked by Amy has me intrigued. Her just sitting there. I know its funny but she had a choice. I think by not reacting she sent a signal that she doesn't believe she needs to intervene in Shamy affairs anymore. Amy has to fight her own battles and it's obvious she is beating up the wrong person and Leonard just has to put up with being whacked this time because if Penny jumps in she picks up the Shamy problems again. And if, as eirwinrommel and also someone also on the shamy thread noted, the psychic message was for Penny as well (or for Penny entirely), then she has to stop being distracted by Sheldon and his issues. And if Leonard being whacked by Amy is the price for sending this message then that's something she can live with. And so can I, if she stays consistently pro-Leonard and not dabble in Sheldon's affairs. It will come to a point where, as it should be, Penny is the only one whacking Leonard.

Or Penny thought Amy needed to let her frustrations out and just let it happen. As far as Sheldon goes ? She can try to stay out of it, but she will

be dragged into it to defend Leonard. In fact I think we'll be seeing some tough love from Penny towards Sheldon and Amy.

• Like 4

Or Penny thought Amy needed to let her frustrations out and just let it happen. As far as Sheldon goes ? She can try to stay out of it, but she will

be dragged into it to defend Leonard. In fact I think we'll be seeing some tough love from Penny towards Sheldon and Amy.

Or Penny thought a few bops with a pillow was not a big deal. Compared to the shots she gave Leonard in the arm when she was reacting to Sheldon (back whenever that was) the hits with the pillow were nothing really.

Honestly I think the real reason for Penny's non reaction was that the audience attention was supposed to be on Leonard and Amy at that point. If Penny did anything it would be a distraction from where people were supposed to be looking.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 3

With regards to the pillow whacking, keep in mind that Penny has been on the receiving end as well: 

Best not to intervene. 

Not to mention getting hit with a purse full of change!

• Like 4

Just wondering whether P's reaction to the bashing was scripted that way or just actor's choice.

• Like 2

She was either told to be, or her action in the teleplay was described as being, uninterested or unconcerned in Amy beating on Leonard. How she chooses to display that (Looking away, looking at her ring, sighing and shaking her head, etc), would be the actor's choice. The actors reaction, of course, is always subject to changes by the director.

• Like 2

Come to think of it Penny also hit Sheldon with a pillow once during a driving simulation. In TBBT this is not a big deal.

As I said at the time, as long as it was just a pillow, and not a fist. Notice it is always a woman hitting a man or another woman. If it were a man hitting a woman (even with a pillow) it would be a different matter.

As I said at the time, as long as it was just a pillow, and not a fist. Notice it is always a woman hitting a man or another woman. If it were a man hitting a woman (even with a pillow) it would be a different matter.

This is part of what bugs me. Leonard simply has to take it. If he reacted by swatting her back, he would be vilified. His response should be that if Amy is so damn worried about Sheldon, just check his Twitter feed. He posts about his bathroom habits. I'm sure his current location and specific train are up for all 100+ followers of his to see. Amy could easily fly to the next main stop and drag him back if she so chose. Beating up Leonard is wrong, even with a pillow.

Penny swatting Sheldon in the episode where he tries to learn to drive was at his specific request. He wanted her to simulate (gently) the effects of the airbag going off when he crashed the car. As it turns out, he got the pillow in the face a lot.

I wonder if there is a message in Penny's change of attitude toward Sheldon. As late as the Table episode, Penny had a bit of the "poor Sheldon" thing going on. Of course earlier in that episode, Penny was encouraging Leonard to stand up to Sheldon. She only switched sides at the last minute, which I don't agree with. Penny and Leonard should have stayed at the table regardless of what the rest did. Now I think she will. Penny was the one encouraging Leonard to let Sheldon go. Penny staying out of Amy's little attack on Leonard signals a new aloofness to the problems of the Shamy, which also started in the table episode. I think Penny got a look at the lengths to which Amy will go for Sheldon. The idea that Amy didn't think a table was a good idea is ludicrous. It would be interesting if Penny is changing as a result of the formal commitment. In the finale, there seems to be a new intimacy and possessiveness going on with Penny. Note how she was the one that grabbed Leonard's hand as they walked away from Sheldon. She chased off Amy when she interrupted Lenny's private dinner. I think it would be a great development if Penny gets possessive and protective of Leonard. Leonard deserves someone to be that way about him, and Penny is just the right person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 8

This is part of what bugs me. Leonard simply has to take it. If he reacted by swatting her back, he would be vilified. His response should be that if Amy is so damn worried about Sheldon, just check his Twitter feed. He posts about his bathroom habits. I'm sure his current location and specific train are up for all 100+ followers of his to see. Amy could easily fly to the next main stop and drag him back if she so chose. Beating up Leonard is wrong, even with a pillow.

Penny swatting Sheldon in the episode where he tries to learn to drive was at his specific request. He wanted her to simulate (gently) the effects of the airbag going off when he crashed the car. As it turns out, he got the pillow in the face a lot.

I wonder if there is a message in Penny's change of attitude toward Sheldon. As late as the Table episode, Penny had a bit of the "poor Sheldon" thing going on. Of course earlier in that episode, Penny was encouraging Leonard to stand up to Sheldon. She only switched sides at the last minute, which I don't agree with. Penny and Leonard should have stayed at the table regardless of what the rest did. Now I think she will. Penny was the one encouraging Leonard to let Sheldon go. Penny staying out of Amy's little attack on Leonard signals a new aloofness to the problems of the Shamy, which also started in the table episode. I think Penny got a look at the lengths to which Amy will go for Sheldon. The idea that Amy didn't think a table was a good idea is ludicrous. It would be interesting if Penny is changing as a result of the formal commitment. In the finale, there seems to be a new intimacy and possessiveness going on with Penny. Note how she was the one that grabbed Leonard's hand as they walked away from Sheldon. She chased off Amy when she interrupted Lenny's private dinner. I think it would be a great development if Penny gets possessive and protective of Leonard. Leonard deserves someone to be that way about him, and Penny is just the right person.

yes. ^^^^^ this. And the shot they used of Penny was deliberate foreshadowing. I'm so curious to see if they are this overt next season.

• Like 1

Hammerman55 makes a good point about the change in Penny's actions towards Leonard sense they became engaged.  She did come across as more possessive.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out next season. 

• Like 2

Hammerman55 makes a good point about the change in Penny's actions towards Leonard sense they became engaged. She did come across as more possessive. It will be interesting to see how this plays out next season.

She has disengaged a bit from Amy, set Sheldon free, and will be hanging on to Leonard. I further speculate that Sheldon will be defended from Penny by Leonard, as it was in s1-3 and, not that she will harm him, but she will expect him to deal for himself more. My SWAG, if you will.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think a strong theme with Penny next season will emanate from "He's a grown man!" "maybe, we need to let him go. i think it will be good for him"

Pennys whole stance at the train station was "no more looking after our little boy. It's our time now!" She was quite adamant about it too - that look  she gave Leonard with her arms folded was like - DO IT LEONARD! And the whole aloof thing with Amy at the end and even the "Get Out" was " Enough with the Shamy stuff too! I've been dealing with that for 4 years too."

SO yeah, I think we will be going back to classic Penny who took on Sheldon often but even mrs forcefully because this is it this time - it is really me and my man Leonard.

What I'm still hoping for is a bigger change in Leonard. While he was quite forceful towards Sheldon when he couldn't comprehend Leonard was putting Penny ahead of him, he still got all soft with Sheldon when he put on his sad face at the station. Is it too much to hope that Penny can get him following her lead to truly lose the Sheldon dependency?

• Like 5

.....Despite all the Sheldon-dislike among many Lenny fans (and I'm not addressing this to you, specifically, Squidley), Leonard doesn't hate Sheldon and neither does Penny and they don't seem bent on getting rid of him.

BUT, feelings about Sheldon aside, he does have only 12 to 18 months left with Leonard, depending on Penny's brother's good behaviour. Or can you imagine them wanting to live with him after marriage? The clock is ticking. And the early bird catches the apartment. :) LOL

• Like 1

I think that leonard needs to man up as well and stop being a wimp I used to also think that penny doesn't stick up for leonard enough but penny can't be ask sometimes because leonard will not defend her if she intervenes. Again going back to the table episode when Sheldon said something inappropriate to penny and she said are you going to let him talk to me like that? His response take one for the team. He should have stuck up for her lmo. But that's was done for laughs. There are also lots of times when Sheldon is so rude to penny in front of leonard and he just let's it go instead of telling him he is out of order not talk to his girlfriend in that way. penny probably thinks well if his not got my back why should I. Defend your woman. Man. But hopefully things will change in S8 and they can work as team and fight for each other

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

And the early bird catches the apartment. :) LOL

Did that also apply when Leonard went on his trip to the Northsea? ;)

Joking aside, I really doubt Leonard will end his friendship with Sheldon over an apartment.

Standing up to him is a good thing I agree, but kicking him out is quite another.

Did that also apply when Leonard went on his trip to the Northsea? ;)

Joking aside, I really doubt Leonard will end his friendship with Sheldon over an apartment.

Standing up to him is a good thing I agree, but kicking him out is quite another.

Lol. No I don't think he will throw him out. Heheh. I am teasing. The rest of my point remains... that Leonard and Penny should have an expectation of their own space... at some time. Despite Phanta's concerns actually I think it will be a prolonged separation process as Sheldon does have the same rights as Leonard. He just THINKS he has more. :), and I don't expect them to go to the mattresses over this, because that would be silly. The apartment issue won't break them up ... it'll be fine. And funny.

• Like 6

Keep in mind both Penny and Leonard said they hadn't decided anything other than they will move in together and alone soon. All three options (move Leonard into 4B, Penny trade with Sheldon, find a new place) are on the table, and mentioned by both separately. I think the writers wanted to emphasize the point that NO DECISION HAS BEEN MADE AS TO WHERE. Sheldon's most vigorous reaction was to the idea of him moving at all, on top of dealing with the unthinkable idea that he would not live with Penny and Leonard. Sheldon was upset by two separate issues compounded. All that Sheldon was willing to offer was something that Penny is already doing, and then some. The idea that she would "live with" them once a week is truly crazy, as she has probably been sleeping over there at least twice a week already. Sheldon wasn't offering as much as is going on now. He was basically trying to keep things exactly the same. His statements at Amy's ("you're not moving in, Leonard is not moving out") is completely completely ridiculous in the second part, and a bad move to state in the first part. He acts as if he has real control over the most important people in his lives, and he's finding out not only that he doesn't, but never did. They consented to his antics, now he's finding out it was temporary tolerance and he is truly expected to change and grow up now. His best, if impractical, hope is for Leonard to move in with Penny. The best realistic hope for Sheldon is to switch with Penny. Penny and Leonard have his kryptonite, if you will. They can move away. If Sheldon wants them close, then he's he's moving to 4B of his own choice. Leonard can let him keep the couch with His Spot, as Penny will certainly rearrange the furniture.

• Like 6

But hamerman, the spot is far more than the couch and cushion, despite the fuss he made with the paintball stain.

“In the winter that seat is close enough to the radiator to remain warm and yet not so close as to cause perspiration. In the summer it’s directly in the path of a cross breeze created by opening windows there and there. It faces the television at an angle that is neither direct, thus discouraging conversation, nor so far wide as to create a parallax distortion. I could go on but I think I’ve made my point.” 

​He can't just move the spot to Penny's place - although he did find a suitable spot in her apartment after much investigation in Tangerine.

But hamerman, the spot is far more than the couch and cushion, despite the fuss he made with the paintball stain.

“In the winter that seat is close enough to the radiator to remain warm and yet not so close as to cause perspiration. In the summer it’s directly in the path of a cross breeze created by opening windows there and there. It faces the television at an angle that is neither direct, thus discouraging conversation, nor so far wide as to create a parallax distortion. I could go on but I think I’ve made my point.”

​He can't just move the spot to Penny's place - although he did find a suitable spot in her apartment after much investigation in Tangerine.

That is a huge point at the end. He even asked Penny to move furniture so he could take full advantage!

Sent from my iPhone using

Tapatalk